[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you attained enlightenment yet anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
Have you attained enlightenment yet anon?
>>
>>29619750

There's no such thing, and anyone who claims otherwise is a liar or a schizophrenic.
>>
>>29619770
#justnormiethings2016
>>
Too lazy to get into Advaita Vedanta, which is basically monism/pantheism.
>>
>>29619770
I once thought as you did. Enlightenment "exists", the thinking mind simply cannot grasp it. When you drop all conceptual thinking and perceptions, all that is left is reality as it is. Reality as it is is Nirvana/enlightenment, and you cannot deny the existence of reality.
>>
>>29619770
lmfao

trapped in the cycle of samsara for a couple more lifetimes i see... i will pray for you
>>
>>29619750
yes I have AMA

>>29619770
There is such a thing and I am there already AMA
>>
>>29619814
Advaita Vedanta is based, but if you are lazy I would recommend going with Dzogchen. It is very similar, but their method of meditation is completely effortless. You don't have to strive or do anything. Here is a great primer on this "do nothing" meditation. I've been doing it for two years and highly recommend it to everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6cdIaUZCA
>>
>>29619750
>implying that anyone who has attained enlightenment would actually post on this shitty site
becoming enlightened is like a plunge into an ocean. you can only do it when any worldly pursuits are concluded.

I plan on trying to become enlightened when I am done with anything worldly. I've already advanced my understanding of the world enough to accomplish the process without any major hindrances most likely. The process I've used is difficult to explain, but it essentially was a restructuring of my thoughts and personality into something more malleable for the ability to understand on a less biased level. The key to understanding is to continue the path to understanding through self examination/outside research and always focus your unconscious on progression. You should probably research all of the major world religions and religious philosophies for inspiration before you begin. The general focus of any understanding should be to advance in an individualistic and collective way alternatively.
>>
>>29619840
Is it true that there are different degrees of enlightenment? Many people claim there are four, stream entry, once returner, non-returner and arhat. The arhat is always in nirvana while the other ones "cycle" in and out or something
>>
>>29619936
It is true that there are different degrees. You're listing different forms, though. Degrees and forms are different. It's like the height of the tree versus the type of leaves it has. I am not familiar with these four classifications you reference.

Enlightenment has depth, width, height, etc. It has many features. It is not an on or off switch where you either are or are not enlightened.

The strongest indicator that a person is enlightened is that that person has no content in their sense of self that interferes with what they're perceiving or talking about. There's no "I" in their responses to things, or there's no way that tehy're tying their perceptions to what they want personally.

Example: An unenlightened response to 9/11 would be "9/11 was awful and evil people did it." A more enlightened response would be "9/11 was an event of great significance that made many people unhappy." See how there's no self judging the quality of the event, just a report of how it was felt by the world?
>>
Antinatalism is the way to go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkCZS3epWbQ
>>
No, but meditation have made me for the first time experience happiness, which I would always confuse with joy.

Happiness is knowing there is no bad/evil in the world, only good, thus being completely carefree.
>>
>>29620015
an actually enlightened response to it would be that it was an irrelevant, meaningless event to most of the world, let alone the universe & beyond
>>
>>29619873
>You don't have to strive or do anything.
That sounds like a recipe for spiritual failure. Waking up is hard.
>>
>>29620138
no, that's just internet tough guy edgy nihilism. You're at a kindergarten level understanding of enlightenment.

Enlightenment recognizes the subjective as an important element of reality and has compassion for the subjective experiences that living things have.

LOL dude. "enlightment means I don't give a shit about anything because i'm so hard."
>>
>>29620172
You're not thinking about the experience deeply enough.

Go do nothing for an hour and tell me it's not hard. Do NOTHING. Don't play or whistle or plan or walk or anything, just sit somewhere comfy and just stare and let your thoughts pass. That is hard work. Your mind wants something to pay attention to.
>>
>>29620176
nice americentrism my friend, blindingly enlightened and truly empathic
>>
>>29620138

I would accuse such a philosophy of being nihilistic and of replacing human nature by some cold logic.
Reminds me of that Greek who pretended to see no difference between being alive or dead and who let a friend drown in water instead of saving him.
>>
>>29620218
This is a spot-on analysis.

Lots of people will claim to be enlightned when they are really just trying to push an image of themselves as being superior. You've spotted that correctly.
>>
>>29620206
Sure, that's hard. But the point of meditation is to gain awareness, not just to do nothing.
>>
>>29619750
yes

one god + transhumanism
>>
>>29620337
You miss the point again even though you are correct. The POINT is to gain awareness, yes. The PRACTICE is to do nothing. That's what you must do to gain awareness.

To be strong, you use your muscles more. To be smart, you use your mind more. To be aware, you use your attention more. Take it completely away from any task. That's awareness workouts.
>>
>>29619783
>>29619826
>>29619828
>>29619840

>all this butthurt from "enlightened" /r9k/ posters

ayy lmao
>>
>>29620383
ok, but what do you pay attention to then? You say: "Your mind wants something to pay attention to." I would go even further than this and say that you are always paying attention to something. Then the question becomes, what is the object of your attention? This is why most forms of meditation give something to focus the mind on.
>>
>>29620411

What if they're like that buddhist monk "Mad Dog" and faking it to actually teach you a lesson?

What if you're actually teaching me a lesson?

What if I was?
>>
File: 8636.jpg (53 KB, 878x814) Image search: [Google]
8636.jpg
53 KB, 878x814
>>29619840

>Enlightened

>On r9k

Pick one
>>
>>29620631

We have an endless supply of INTP with a 150 IQ, some of them are bound to be enlightened by their own intellect.
>>
File: 1435765274589.jpg (50 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1435765274589.jpg
50 KB, 469x463
>>29620744

>I am enlightened by my own intelligence

Holy kek you can't be serious
>>
>>29620631
Enlightenment is not the quality of having your life figured out. It's the quality of having yourself figured out. I am here because I am similar to all of you in key respects, and my life is a mess. That has nothing to do with enlightenment. I am aware of my condition and what I can and cannot do inside of it and I am detached from many parts of it that once caused me suffering. That is enlightenment.

>>29620578
You're definitely on the right track with this line of reasoning, but you should be aware that spiritual practices go beyond reason. Reason is useless in the realm of soul and spirit work. Particularly when you say that "you are always paying attention to something," that is a thought, and a well-reasoned thought at that, which will hold you back from going into higher realms of existence. Just go actually do nothing for an hour or even a half hour every day for a month at the same time of day, and be strict about it, actually do nothing, don't play with your phone or fuck with blades of grass, just do literally nothing for a long time every day for a month. I guarantee you'll start to get it.
>>
>>29620821
Intelligence and IQ are positively correlated with spiritual realization, so much so that it may actually be a prerequisite. Don't let me suck all the fun out of your malicious name-calling, though. LE FEDORA MEME = YOU ARE LOSER, right?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.