[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone else pick the good route in vidya games always? i also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13
File: 1443146772827.jpg (204 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1443146772827.jpg
204 KB, 850x850
anyone else pick the good route in vidya games always? i also try not to kill anyone i don't have to.
>>
>>29618028
i'm the opposite.evil,renegade,chaos routes always
>>
>>29618028
>NPC has unique gear of some sort

Guess how long he's going to live
>>
I play the butcher in vidyas. I slaughter anyone I can, and always take the awful routes. I always hated how nice the good routes seemed. Never were realistic. I am also incredibly self destructive and I love the concept of it, so I am not suprised that I do pick such awful things. In Fallout 3, I fucking massacred everything. Megaton? Fucking shot up the place myself then set the bomb off. Travelling salesmen? Fucking dead. Every town was dead 10 minutes after I walked in.
>>
I'm always good. Ruins a game for me if I can't be good.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 491x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 491x720
I don't kill them if they haven't done anything to me.
>>
>>29618128
Yup, can relate.
>>
Paz :(
>>
File: 1465509002607.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1344) Image search: [Google]
1465509002607.jpg
327 KB, 1920x1344
Depends on the game and the lore. Sometimes it makes me feel wrong to kill anyone I don't have to (and in some games I still try to spare as many enemies as I can), but in others I don't mind killing anyone that happens to be in the way.

It depends on the character. Alex Mercer in Prototype? His powers are too ridiculous and he's too unstable to really care about the collateral damage of his fighting. But Adam Jensen? I don't see him just murdering every thug and soldier in his way if he can help it. Again, depends on the how I figure the mind of my character works.
>>
>Always playing in only one way
A U T I S M
>>
>>29618028
Yes.
I don't know why.
I'm a terrible fucking criminal in real life.
>>
i can't bring myself to be bad in the mass effect games. it just ruins the whole thing.
>>
>>29618028
i cant be bad to vidya people bc i would feel guilty. while i dont care in rl
>>
>>29618686
being bad in mass effect is glorious
>>
>>29618770
being a dick to morgan aint cool man
>>
File: devilish blush pepe.jpg (201 KB, 470x595) Image search: [Google]
devilish blush pepe.jpg
201 KB, 470x595
>>29618099
>not completing all the missions and getting good karma from everyone, only to then destroy everything and kill everyone for the loot
did all the missions in megaton, then blew it up, and then back-stabbed tenpenny by letting in the ghouls.
enslaving raiders was the best part imo.
>>
It depends.

If I'm invested in the story, I'll kill who I think I should based on what information I'm given.

If there's no/little punishment for killing npc's, I'll occasionally go on mass shootings and then be on my way.

If there's actual punishment then it's probably easier not to kill random noc's.
>>
>picking a game's pre-defined morality "track" and sticking to it all the way through
>not creating a unique character with complex motivations and roleplaying appropriately
>>
>>29618028
It's boring as hell being good in videogames, I'm good enough to people IRL so I act like Satan in videogames. Going the evil/independent route in Fallout games is always loads of fun.
>>
File: 68758097.jpg (198 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
68758097.jpg
198 KB, 1920x1080
>>29618028
I do good things as long as they dont fuck up my expirience by making me lose out on unique or special things just because I chose to do something else

My favorite game is Fable and I always run through it two times as a good and evil guy just to max out on the expirience of the game
>>
Usually on the first play through, I'll act the same way I'd think I'd act in that same situation. Usually this means I try not to step on too many toes/try to do some good in the world. Try, at least.

When it comes to raider types in FO, the wanton murderers and rapists, I usually execute those guys wherever I can. The worst thing I usually consistently do in FO is steal.
>>
>playing skyrim
>try to be edgelord murder everything type
>feel guilty + constant guard spawning prevents murdering everything unless I gtfo hard out of whatever hold/town/city I'm in.
>decide to be paladin for a change
>originally sent from a temple in some fuckoff island somewhere to both study the religious tomes and other such texts of skyrim and to exterminate the heathens
>witches, vampires, bandits etc.
>find myself morally conflicted as I try to defy the daedric lords and obviously fail, finally coming to the realisation that all I can do is gather the artifacts and prevent their evil from reaching mortal hands.
>currently on the Namira questline
>my character has to keep convincing himself that he's doing it to protect the dead in the long run
>haven't gotten to the feast yet
>he's going to massacre the coven after he gets the ring
Feel sorry for him desu
>>
I try to kill everyone I can. There are less obstacles in the way then.
>>
File: 1405017916680.jpg (117 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1405017916680.jpg
117 KB, 800x600
I play the self serving sarcastic jerk who ends up saving the day but sacrificing a couple of children or more without any trouble along the way.
>>
I hate it when a game tries to force you into a "good" or an "evil" route. Like when you either kill everyone and everything or you spare everyone and everything even if they're your enemies and trying to destroy everything.
>>
>>29618961
If the Skyrim writers were actually good at their jobs they would have made multiple ways to beat the quests, such as allowing you to lie to NPCs.

I miss Morrowind, when we will ever get a game with that kind of open-endedness again?
>>
I once murdered an entire village in Skyrim and got a massive erection doing it. Is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>29619181
Morrowind and dues ex are GOAT.
>>
>>29619193
i got a boner mutilating bodies in fallout 3
>>
>>29619221
Hmm, ya, that seems worse
>>
File: 1466705359704.jpg (141 KB, 700x988) Image search: [Google]
1466705359704.jpg
141 KB, 700x988
>>29618028
I usually just go the path of most resistance
>>
>>29618028
I've been playing The Witcher and i always keep
everybody alive even if the try to kill me all the time
>>
>>29619140
There are games that have neutral type endings and choices but inevitably its harder to put in those types of choices. Some of them like Jade Empire have so many hidden choices and outcomes that about 95% of the people who play the damn game will never see the content because they never told you that you needed to talk to your followers every single chance you got or they wouldn't progress their personal stories. You even miss out on the secret evil frog character hidden in the little girl npc this way.
>>29619193
I figure since you're here thats just normal.
>>29618886
It really depends on the game. Fable pretty much makes it too easy to be evil.
>>29618516
I felt the same way playing both games. Since in Prototype there's this weird morality where you're on a quest for revenge to 'save' the city from a virus but you're also eating people like candy to heal.
It was even worse in the sequel when the MC is all MUH DAUGTHER and even spares a guy because of it and that guy straight out murders two soldiers in front of the MC. I mean I understand he's not a hero but still there are limits to being morally grey aren't there? Prototype world just makes everyone a massive dick killing everything.
But in Deus Ex I went pacifist mostly because I could and I figure it suited the game better. I felt guilty killing people when I could easily just choose to not do that.
>>
>>29619221
this reminds me of my last day with Fallout NV

>roleplaying as a guy that hates women, but otherwise a good duy
>bandits attack me
>kill them all, walk up to one of the female corpses
>blow the brains out with a shotgun
>got a fucking boner from it
>for a few days after that, everytime I killed a female, I would save their heads until after they were dead, then blow their brains out
>masturbated to the mess Boone left behind when he blew the old cunt's brains out

It got weird after that. I remember going into people's homes in Novac and waiting until all but one female remained, then killing her and blowing her face off. Then waiting until more people came until all the females of that household were dead. I eventually got the cannibalism perk to simulate eating their leftover brain. So even though I was enjoying myself, I stopped playing that game because I was afraid that It'd start masturbating to gore in real life or some sick shit. I even uninstalled it on steam, but man, sometimes I want to go back.
>>
>>29618028
I just do what I would do in a given situation.

I have certain morals like I always try to avoid killing anyone but I'm not above stealing from certain people if I find them distasteful or they're rich, etc.

What are some good rpgs with moral depth, besides the obvious ones like Morrowind, Fallout, etc.
>>
Anyone else roleplay their character out and give them a set personality and stick with it even if it means picking the 'worst' choice?
>>
File: 243546587.png (558 KB, 900x925) Image search: [Google]
243546587.png
558 KB, 900x925
>>29619377
really? I always found it easier to be a good guy in fable
>>
>>29619409
go back,you were having fun,who gives a shit,its such a good game
>>
>>29618028
the best way to play any rpg with actual choice is true neutral. it is definitely hard mode as you will most likely have to switch alliances

tribe of goblins attacking a group of adventurers close to your druidic shrine? help the adventurers kill the goblins.

adventurers want to pillage the goblin village? well now they are the enemies obviously.

an order of paladins demands the extermination of the local centaurs due to them being territorial? time to fuck up some paladins
>>
>>29619433
I only did this in Mass Effect but it was pretty inconsequential in that game
>>29619434
you mean the first one right?
you're mad
>>29619475
only game you can really pull that shit is Risen
>>
File: 1466713711636.jpg (83 KB, 717x900) Image search: [Google]
1466713711636.jpg
83 KB, 717x900
I never really played any western rpgs, recommend me something please /r9k/, I don't care if it is old or new, it should just be "good" and "fun".
>>
>>29619471
Damn I want to, I even got the ultimate edition or whatever from steam with all the DLC and I didn't get to them yet. Fuck it, it's just fantasy anyway
>>
File: 435647.jpg (31 KB, 255x334) Image search: [Google]
435647.jpg
31 KB, 255x334
>>29619486
how so? you get everything you would get as a bad guy except people like you more
>>
>>29619495
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

not original I guess
>>
>>29619509
thats the spirit,got the ultimate edition too
>>
Anyone else save their game, butcher an annoying NPC then reload whenever dealing with said annoying NPC?
>>
>Murder everyone I see in stealth games
>Play all other games as the good guy
>>
>Not going neutral grey morality
>>
>>29619546
not enough games that let you do that
>>
I usually find that going the 'evil' route tends to be a hindrance on the game, it doesn't fit with the plot as to why they're still doing this good deed in the main quest, you miss out on a ton of side quests as they're dead, you miss out on potential party members, canonically your guy is remembered as a good guy, unless anyone knows of any games that don't do that.
>>
>>29619546
>playing "whatever is most convinient for gameplay" mode
>thinking its better than taking a penalty for acting according to a moral standing

Why play if youre bad at ROLE playing games?
>>
>>29619495
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura, The Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout Series, Dragon Age: Origins, 2 is pooper, Inquisition is good just not as good as Origins, Mass Effect 1 & 2, 3 is shit, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Went for RPG where you create your own character as well as jusy choices.
>>
>>29618028

I always do evil because the good route is invariably the same is every other video game. The evil route is always at least funny.
>>
>>29619598
>thinking its better than taking a penalty for acting according to a moral standing
In a lot of SMT games being neutral is usually the hardest path because you have to defeat both law and chaos
>>
>When a choice based game goes with the basic 'obvious good choice' and 'obvious bad choice' instead of a more grey morality, where each choice has both good and bad consequences, where your companions judge the shit out of you for every choice rather than following your blindly.
>>
>>29619626
Oh and I forgot KOTOR.

>>29619666
It's also a hard path in KOTOR because you don't get bonuses for either light side or dark side abilities.
>>
>>29619679
that shits the best, like the fallout quest where you either save the crops and kill the vault dwelers or save the dwelers and starve the wastelanders

also the oasis
>>
>>29619740
Dragon Age: Origins did it great too. The Redcliffe quest.
>Butcher a demon possessed child
>Allow his mother to sacrifice herself to save him
>Go to the mages for help, which would take time and risk the child further destroying the village

And

>Send to kill magical wolf in order to kill all werewolves in the area who are cursing the Elves
>Turns out the Elven leader is the source of the curse, originally cursing the humans for raping and killing his family
>The humans who originally did that are now dead and what's left is the remnants of the curse
>Either have to side with the Werewolves and slaughter all the Elves, side with the Elves and kill the magical wolf or try to unite the two. The curse is attached to the Elven leader's life, meaning if he breaks it then he dies, so the third option is to try to convince him to kill himself in order to free the Werewolves from their curse and save his clan's life.

Dragon Age: Origins really is great, despite the clunky combat. The last 'true' Bioware game. What the series could have been.
>>
>>29618814
>tfw you "lose" karma when you kill murderous ghouls after you fuck up and trustingly negotiate them into Tenpenny tower like a blue-pilled retard
>>
>>29618961
>play as a racist nordic daedra worshipper
>have to stalk any vigilants of Stendarr I come across into the wilderness and slaughter them
>decimated Khajit travelers
I do wish there were certain mods that could make otherwise vicious factions friendly, and others aggro, it'd be fun to do a Forsworn run.
>>
>>29619409
I save the NPC codes of pretty bandits I kill, then transport them to my house and strip them.
>>
>>29618028
Wow. So you're a pussy in real life AND in-game? The only way to play is chaotic neutral. Try to do the right thing, but don't let anyone give you any shit. If poor old granny is bullshiting me, she's getting punched in the face.
>>
>>29619870
...they fucking ruined dragon age so hard...2 wasn't even THAT bad, sarcastic hawke was great...but oh god Inquisition...so much fucking SJW propaganda shoved in...and let's not even mention massive retconning.
>>
>>29619597
Totally agree.

Most of the time the evil route is half-assed or out of character.
>>
>>29618028
I kill monsters.
>>
>>29620219
I prefer Inquisition to 2. 2 had just this nonsensical story where people did dumb shit just to further the story and over the span of the years nobody ever changes, also that dumb friendship/rivalry system.

But yeah there's a ton of retcons like how in Inquisition you meet an ex-Dalish who says that she was abandoned by her clan because in Dalish culture, they can't have too many mages while in Origins its said they revere their mages for bringing back their old clan magic and unlocking ancient lore and the first of the keeper you meet in the Brecilian forest says she had a ton of opposition for her position which implies there was a bunch of mages.

Also the way people of colour were in Inquisition. It's not that I mind them being there are all, but you'd have people of colour with like Ferelden accents and Orlesian accents when its specifically stated that Thedas black people come from Rivain, who have an accent of their own. The world would not be so open that there'd be a Ferelden born black person because there'd be no reason for a Rivaini to go to Ferelden and would seek acceptance there. They just did it to have more people of colour. Keep them in but fuck, give them Rivaini and Antivan accents like where they're supposed to be.

And also Krem. Again, fine with a transgender character, but they reveal they're transgender and everyones completely accepted of it, this is a world where in Origins, homosexuality everywhere except Orlais where it was a 'quirk' wasn't that accepted either. Then Iron Bull says "Oh in Qunari culture, you'd be [I forget the name]" and Krem goes "And.. we're accepted there?" and Bull is like "You sure are."

Like fuck. Wait, it's been established many times that the Qunari are super into enforcing people into roles. You get your roles enforced onto you as a child and you can't deviate from that role or you die. You are meant to be as you're born, so then out of everyone in the world, the most accepting are the Qunari?
>>
>>29618028
>i also try not to kill anyone i don't have to.

> Enter the village
> A chicken is watching me
> Kill the chicken
> Has to flee to the end of the world

Hell hath no chicken.
>>
File: 1446768751602.jpg (307 KB, 256x1790) Image search: [Google]
1446768751602.jpg
307 KB, 256x1790
>>29619597
Maybe try out Langrisser 2, it is weebshit, but it offers you to join the evil side and fight against your previous companions etc.

>you can forsake your destiny as hero of light and join the Empire bent on peace through conquest
>you can betray the Empire and join the forces of darkness
>you can annihilate the Empire and both the forces of darkness and light and become Supreme Ruler
>>
>>29620965
I always thought you could only have 3 mages in a clan. I thought Merrill said that at some point in 2 unless im mistaken.

>where they're supposed to be.
>Never in the history of humanity have parents moved to another place and then raise their children in that other place.

>>29620219
I really want Bioware to use a better version of the DA2 dialogue system for ME:A. FUCK i wanna be a sarcastic space cowboy
>>
>be me
>play fallout 3
>steal shit from everybody
>basically kleptomaniac
>murder a guy for his hat
>kid asks if i like being evil or if i can't help it
>huh.jpg
>try to do good things
>can't stop stealing shit
>eventually decide my character has kleptomania and keeps his rads at over 400 to make myself stop stealing shit
>karma goes up up up
>can't use perk for extra speech at neutral karma anymore

;-;
>>
>>29618028
>anyone else a cuck
Fixed that for you.
>>
File: 12521567.gif (908 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
12521567.gif
908 KB, 500x331
>that perk in fallout 4 that makes enemies surrender when you aim at them
>they turn hostile the second you put your weapon away
>>
>>29618686
Renegade isn't even evil in Mass Effect. At worst it's heartless pragmatism.

Morality systems are usually bullshit. Real life isn't as simple as "good deed = good points, bad deed = bad points".

The only system that could make sense is having character's opinions of you change depending on your actions, and making you feel guilty when your actions hurt people you like. Getting badguy points has no emotional impact; seeing the consequences of your actions hurt characters you can relate to does have an impact. The closest game to this I can think of is Dragon Age. DA sucks dick in most respects, but this is one thing, maybe the only thing it did right.
>>
>>29624908
A lot of games are like this anon. Pillars of Eternity is one, and probably a lot of the other classic wRPGS. Witcher series is like this too.
>>
>>29618028
I always pick the easiest route the first time through. It's all about getting to those credits.
>>
>>29618028

I usually go the path that gives me more virtual money as long as I can do it fast.

Example: Jansen from deus ex storming the police station terminator style.

Sometimes I go a little political like in skyrim. I understand the position of the legion but I cant just help myself when I encounter thalmor on the roads. I have to kill them. I do hate the brotherhood and I always killed them too.

If we will have a choice in mass effect andromeda (doubtful) I would like to follow the original cerberus guidelines (aka fuck the aliens).

It depends. Im kinda chaotic.
>>
>>29618028
I'm the faggot who plays like he's roleplaying.

I don't make decisions based on what I think gets me the best loot or lets me fight the most enemies (thus getting more xp and loot). I try to play like a character.

I find that 95% of people just "perform" in video games and want to kill everything. I play like in those staged videos of people "playing vidya for the first time" except I'm also good. People have enjoyed it when I've streamed games (maximum concurrent viewers is 55 or something so I'm not big).
>>
File: 1467002603518.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467002603518.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>29619495
It's a meme answer but despite being hyped to heavens there's a reason Witcher 3 won all those awards. It's pretty damn great even if the combat system could be better. It looks amazing but not in a tech demo way but an immersive world way. Tons of dialogue and choices seem to make at least some difference.

I often find myself buying books from vendors just to read them, not to unlock anything. Or buying those "travel guides" (unlock fast travel points ahead of time) not to even use the fast travel but to read the "flavor text" (they act like regular books, one or two pages) aka. a tourist like description of the new area I arrived in. It's a really interesting world even without playing 1 and 2.
>>
>>29620165
Ow the edge. Go brush your teeth, Trevor.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.