[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you robots think of Undertale? No, not the cancerous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 18
File: Sansanimated.gif (7 KB, 118x151) Image search: [Google]
Sansanimated.gif
7 KB, 118x151
What do you robots think of Undertale? No, not the cancerous Tumblr comics and shitposting, what do you think of the game itself?
>>
Really fun and creative.
>>
It was okay, ran a pacifist game and honestly it got so saccharine at points I got really annoyed.
>>
It was okay and had good music. Mettaton Ex is hawt.
>>
>>29611616
overrated, sure it was cool that it aknowleged al those things like beating the same boss 3 times but you realize that was youtube bait because nobody is going to beat sans 10 different times or make 4 genocide runs so it wasnt actually rewarding exploration nor choicces or thinking outside the box and the player wasnt supposed to find out all that shit.
its small, its short and its lacking but its fun for what it is, definetly better than what you expect from indie games but braid, world of goo, super meat boy, machinarium and all the other indie games that excell (except for limbo and fez) are much better crafted
>>
Put in a tonne of hours into it and still haven't beaten Sans. It's a fun game with lots of funny / memorable moments and a very engaging battle system. The fanbase has produced some real cancer but at the same time, I really don't blame them for being as obsessed as they are.
>>
If you ignore the fan base,its a solid game with a great soundtrack.
>>
it was very comfy, however most of the characters were generic anime cliches imo
>>
Played like 20 mins then turned it off because random battles and shit where you keep falling through the floor. Can't be bothered with that.
>>
Couldn't finish it.
>Drowned up to your eyeballs with memes and ironic in-the-know internet references.
>Art looked nice at times and ugly at other times.
>World design was rubbish and boring, forever a straight line through various video gamey areas (snow zone, lava zone, cave zone etc).
>Puzzles were never utilized much, usually a puzzle mechanic was introduced and then canned after solving one or two easy iterations of it.
>Music was fine, neat.
>Combat system was very cool and a lot of fun to play, especially on bosses.
>>
>>29611616
Pretty fun lasts just long enough to not overstay its welcome. That is, if you play pacifist or neutral.

Genocide is way too tedious. I get it. Look, you undertards, I get it. But I don't care. Making shit not fun to play as a story mechanic is lazy and retarded. Watching the genocide and neutral Undyne fight was the only reason I gave the game a chance. I wish that the rest genocide was as engaging as a few of the bosses or even the other story paths.
>>
boring and painful

and i didn't know nor do am i childish enough to care that people on a different site gave a shit about it, it was just bad
>>
>>29611825
worst offender was the lack of backtracking. You get the date with papyrus and the date with alphys and thats it, if you are going to make the game that linear and only have 4 funny npcs make me go back and ford between areas and visit them more, hell make fun of me ingame for constantly coming back for new shit
>>
Not bad but overrated and nowhere near as good as any of the games it was ripping off of (mother series, cave story)

Good music though
>>
I want to bloat the gote with my wild oats
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-14+at+10.13.26).jpg (37 KB, 396x392) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-14+at+10.13.26).jpg
37 KB, 396x392
burgerpants is the only thing i still enjoy from the series after tumblr got a hold of it
>>
Mettaton neo wasn't a real boss fight
>0/10
>>
>>29612503
I want to get inside burger' pants
>>
Mediocre as fuck and easy, I didn't die once doing the normal route and to be honest I couldn't be fucked going back and doing genocide or pacifist.

Meh game but I did like the characters. Sans was pretty spooky when he talked about how if he didn't make that promise he'd just straight up kill you and Alphys was great.

It was preachy as fuck though and failed to really make me feel bad at all for killing a bunch of monsters in self-defense which I think it was trying to do.
>>
It's good, not extremely good nor terrible it's just good

Some things were funny, Burguerpants was an amazing character and i enjoyed both the music and the combat system

On the other hand the story is kinda shitty, Alphys is literally the worst character i've ever seen and the only ending that makes sense with her is the one where she kills herself, also the game lasts something like about 6 hours if you do all the runs and the art style flickers between OK to fugly
>>
>>29611616

Good ost.
Overall, overrated game.
>>
>>29611616
community
>cancer
game
>good point
=less cancer
>>
Pretty overrated but it was good.
>>
File: 1453796878256.png (765 KB, 1280x1523) Image search: [Google]
1453796878256.png
765 KB, 1280x1523
Liked it a lot, there is plenty of robots in there (Chara, Alphys, Sans is sort of depressed Chad, maybe Frisk)
>>
>>29611616
music is good, game itself is complete garbage
you're welcome
>>
It would have been better if there were no regular enemies, since they're a chore.
>>
Gay. Just gay.
>>
File: 1PwVqmq.gif (14 KB, 206x203) Image search: [Google]
1PwVqmq.gif
14 KB, 206x203
32 yo gamer here. It's one of the best games I've ever played, and the character interactions/dialogue are top notch, better than anything from the 16 bit era, even gems like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Also, the music is pretty memorable, unlike a lot of almost interchangeable JRPG shit.

Also, I actually like the fandom for the most part, with their funny comics n shit. Sometimes it's cringey with the cosplay, but fan comics/art are mostly pretty decent and/or funny.

>tfw Toby Fox values players being helped through a hard time in their life with this game more than actual official awards
>tfw I'm one of those people

Haters gonna hate though. I love this game. It made me feel like I had friends, even though I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64lJZZEhSIo
>>
>>29614083
forgot to mention, I played it completely blind save for reading a big boobed Undyne shota doujin. I try to stay away from reviews and commentary for all media so I can be as unbiased as possible.
>>
File: whoSave.jpg (165 KB, 1281x719) Image search: [Google]
whoSave.jpg
165 KB, 1281x719
Who else thought you could only save one character in the pacifist final boss?

Who did you save?

I saved qt3.14 Alphys
>>
>>29611616

the fan base is literall tumblr cancer bullshit

but yeah the game itself i honestly really liked.

ANY fandom will ruin anything.
if it has a fandom, its always going to be cringe.

i like a lot of things that have fandoms, but i dont admit i like those things because they will think im like them. and i stay as far away from the fans as possible
>>
File: 1462421444371.jpg (17 KB, 475x357) Image search: [Google]
1462421444371.jpg
17 KB, 475x357
>>29611616
FUCK OFF DOJ
>this comment wasnt original because Doj is a fuck nut twat
>>
>>29611616
Dull. The writing was tumblr-tier, the combat mechanic was meh at most, the characters are really unnatural with their "quirkiness" being really forced, and the story really doesn't stand out.
>>
>>29611616
It was good, but it really went pretentious about the pacifist run while trying to shame you for taking the genocide route.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 324x325) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 324x325
>>29611616
It's okay but highly overrated tbhfam.
>>
File: 14551129524028.png (157 KB, 524x800) Image search: [Google]
14551129524028.png
157 KB, 524x800
I played it last summer, when it was released. It was simple but fun. I even posted in /utg/ several months ago, but /utg/ is even more shit nowadays.

Undertale hasn't been enjoyable for me anymore lately, the fanbase sucks and completely ruined the game for me.
>>
File: image.png (504 KB, 1132x2220) Image search: [Google]
image.png
504 KB, 1132x2220
>>29614446
This
Doj is an major fgt
>>
Liked it a lot. It really resonated with me emotionally. Made me feel really sad when I completed it
>>
Highly, highly overrated. The game had it's moments, but it wasn't anything special. Most of the characters just felt forced. None of them had any nuance or subtlety.
>>
>>29613107
>manlet
>chad

What
>>
File: 90374n.png (431 KB, 755x410) Image search: [Google]
90374n.png
431 KB, 755x410
>>29611616
Made me feel like I was playing a retarded-tumblr version of Strange Journey.

I think it was... interesting. But fucking not great.
>>
>>29611616
it was fucking shit typical uninspired indie trash that copies other popular titles fuck that overrated shit
>>
>>29611616
Awful. Story is generic as hell and only gets fleshed out before the final boss, characters are all shitty tropes and are all two-dimensional as fuck except one or two characters. Graphics are indie-pixelshit and look awful. The gameplay is the worst, it's baby's first bullet hell and it basically consists of dodging little white pellets, which is repetitive as fuck and gets boring fast. Music is good though.
>>
>>29614236
I saved Papyrus because I wanted a qt skele bf
>>
>>29614733
Doj confirmed himself that he was baiting all along. he even gave his tripcode away
>>
>>29615263
he did keep reporting me for gore though, the fucker.
>>
>>29611616
I convinced my cousin to kill the cow at the start, and then let her live in my play-through. I was called a bastard for this.

insult/10
>>
File: batter coffee.png (7 KB, 350x304) Image search: [Google]
batter coffee.png
7 KB, 350x304
sans was an insanely fun boss fight
other than that none of the story was very good, genocide was alright except it was a worse OFF
flowey is the only solid character
>>
>>29614236
Was pretty god damn sure I could only save one so I hugged Toriel and you can all go fuck yourselves.
>>
Way too much silliness, it just isn't my thing, music was breddy gud tho
>>
File: 1456938659736.png (46 KB, 1237x92) Image search: [Google]
1456938659736.png
46 KB, 1237x92
>>29611616
The messages in it made me really ill.
Like, "it's better to surrender and be polluted than fight for pride and honor."

Seeing the last bastion of Male Hero Morality (JRPGS) get polluted by globalist Jew sentiment made me despondent, especially since Toby actually played them all and that's what he took out of them--that it's bad to be the hero and defend your people.

Fucking SJW kike.
>>
Fucking SJW ideology pushed everywhere is the biggest offender. Coulda been a good game if it wasn't "oh look at this tranny faggot black midget" every 2 seconds.
The creepypasta part was awesome as fuck though. Almost shat my pants playing it alone at 1 am.
>>
>>29616912

Why do you feel the need to talk about games you haven't played?
>>
>>29617055
Here's a (you), original commenter.
>>
File: 1736662 - Temmie Undertale.jpg (259 KB, 1116x1000) Image search: [Google]
1736662 - Temmie Undertale.jpg
259 KB, 1116x1000
Love it. I'm still debating whether or not to do the genocide route. True pacifist was so comfy and it made me cry a little.
>>
>>29614083
Normally I don't like anything related to the Undertale fandom, but Goddman that video made me tear up.

Otherwise I completely agree with everything you say
>>
Extremely fun, clever, and charming. The fan base is cancer but the game is great.
>>
Put off from playing it because of Tumblr but after giving it a shot, I found the game to be pretty fun. The 'date' with Papyrus kind of put me in an awkward spot since the situation hit too close to home for me. It was like a reliving a bad memory but with a couple of chuckles throughout.
>>
Really liked it, was kinda sad how short it was though.
>>
Without wishing to spoil the last boss on true pacifist made me tear up. The shit he was saying just resonated with me, I'd been there. Not in the same circumstances obviously but the way he was emotionally made me just wanna smash that goat boypussy
>>
Really great game. Fun dialogue, great writing, great characters, and god tier music. I like to watch blind playthroughs of undertale.
>>
File: 1456803439631.jpg (76 KB, 425x750) Image search: [Google]
1456803439631.jpg
76 KB, 425x750
Did you go back to the ruins to talk to him? It says more cool shit about life.

Also, Chara >>>> Asriel >>29618750
>>
Fun way to pass a few hours.
>>29618601
>was kinda sad how short it was though.
Main complaint is this as well. The last part of the game did feel a little rushed.

Undyne made me hnng a bit.
>>
>>29619480
same here, my favourite playthrough has been joels and my least favourite has been pewdiepies for.. various reasons...
>>
>>29619540
>this post
good example of the cancerous tumblr shit
>>
>>29619552
Wow, that is literally so rude.
>>
>>29619549
I watched Etika's playthrough. It was pretty great watching him react to photoshop flowey
>>
>>29611616
basically made for tumblr and reddit teenagers who never played earthbound

it's mediocre, could have been a lot better. the story kind of sucks and most of the game is way too easy.
>>
Well, it hooked me up with a girl that doesn't really talk.

My occasional depression fucks up my conversation with her, and she doesn't seem willing to contribute. I associate Undertale to her.

The game was decent
>>
Yume Nikki was better
>>
>>29611616
decent to good game ruined by fandom
>>
>>29619938
I think however, it can be said that the game was practically angling for such a fandom. It seems looking back to have been tailor made to the times so as to attract that audience.
>>
>>29611616
Absolutely garbage game
>>
File: 1288989561106s.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1288989561106s.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>29619875
>Yume Nikki turned 12 years old the other day

;_;7
>>
>>29619875
As was Lisa also
>>
Couldnt bother playing it. Played it maybe for about 10 minutes, the music was alright, but the boring pixel art, generally stupid artstyle and the fact that nothing managed to interest me in the first 10minutes, led me to uninstall it. Havent played it since and I have no plans of playing it ever again.
>>
File: c4eo1_r.png (254 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
c4eo1_r.png
254 KB, 500x667
>>29620637
>Madotsuki for ants

>>29620659
>>29619875
You could go on and argue that any of the original works Undertale is derived from are better than it, but I think due to it being a synthesis of a lot of different ideas, they aren't really comparable.

Touhou does bullet hell better than UT, but UT isn't necessarily about bullet-hell.

Yume Nikki does RPGMaker cult horror better than UT, but UT isn't necessarily about RPGMaker cult horror.

The closest comparison is Earthbound, but even Earthbound doesn't approach the forth wall the way UT does.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.