[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
living in hotels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 5
File: businesspepe.jpg (24 KB, 317x432) Image search: [Google]
businesspepe.jpg
24 KB, 317x432
Who else /unironically using hotels for long term residence/ here?

>tfw the only way to live on my own and not end up in cockroach infested trash pit is to have someone clean up for me once a week
>tfw realized you get exactly this if you just live in a hotel forever
>also free internet, free cable TV, and free breakfasts every morning

Check out the ones that call themselves "extended stay" if you want in on this action, they're the ones that are more likely to be OK with you never leaving even after months or years and they'll also be more affordable for long term stays e.g. $50-$60 / night.
>>
>>29603753

that's pretty darn expensive in the long term.
>>
File: 1457036739709.jpg (136 KB, 770x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457036739709.jpg
136 KB, 770x1000
>>29603753
I'd seriously do this but that is some richfag shit.

That kind of "Up in the Air" permanent vacation lifestyle suits me.
>>
>>29603753

I did this for about 5 straight years when I was a consultant. It can get weird and lonely but I honestly look back on it fondly.
>>
>>29603775
>>29603779

$50 / night (which is admittedly on the low end of what most of these extended stay places will have available) would only be $1,500 / month, which isn't that different from most monthly apartment rental rates.
>>
>>29603753
Hmm, that's actually not that bad.

~$1500 a month to live in a hotel when it's about ~$1100 to rent a decent size part of a house in California.

You're basically paying $400~ more for someone to clean your shit, get free internet, free cable, and free breakfast every morning. If breakfast costs like roughly $5 if you eat out as opposed to making food and internet is bout' $50 a month, you're almost breaking even.
>>
>>29603753

That's at least 1400 dollars a month. What the fuck?
>>
>>29603753
If you want your place cleaned once a week just hire some Mexicans to do it for cheap. Then you won't be paying out the ass for hotels
>>
>>29603840

>That's at least 1400 dollars a month. What the fuck?

How cheap are you expecting apartments to be in contrast? The cheapest apartment I've stayed in before doing this was $800 / month and it was basically a small box for people just barely a step above homelessness.
>>
>>29603867

>paying out the ass

$1,500 / month isn't a lot of money though. You wouldn't be paying that much less with an apartment and weekly maid service plus cable / internet and utilities.
>>
>>29603838
>~$1500 a month to live in a hotel when it's about ~$1100 to rent a decent size part of a house in California.

Decent hotels on California are at least $100 a day......unless you're talking about motels
>>
File: 1426897183839.png (516 KB, 680x418) Image search: [Google]
1426897183839.png
516 KB, 680x418
>>29603753
Not going to lie, I really, really like this idea.

Expensive yes, but there's something extremely comfy sounding about living in a hotel.
>>
Depends where you live. I rented a pretty nice apartment, small but nice 1br. Full living room, bedroom, pretty sizable closet, kitchen and nice bathroom for about $570 a month.

That's way fucking cheaper than what you're paying, nigga. Hell I could afford a maid and still be paying way less.
>>
It sounds pretty good, depending on where you live and your money situation. If I were filthy rich, I'd probably sometimes go and live in random expensive hotels.
>>
>>29603753
Just like living in van's, OP is doing one of the next big things.

Remember, rent is so high in some places of the world now that people rent trainboxes to live in.
>>
>>29603898

I'm not talking about either regular hotels like a Hilton or cheap motels like Motel 6. I'm talking about extended stay hotels, which generally cost a lot more than motels if you use them for just a few days at a time, but then the price goes way down if you do a month or more in advance like if you were paying for a month's rent at an apartment. The people who own these places know nobody's going to pay $50,000 / year to live at a hotel, so they all drop the price significantly once they know you're actually there long term.
>>
>>29603890
$1500 is the low estimate.

And chances are if you're living in a city where rent is more than that then you're either paying almost double that for a hotel or you're staying at the Ghetto Nigga Inn on MLK Boulevard
>>
>>29603840
someone obviously hasn't been to california or new york
>>
>>29603753
>$50-$60 / night.
you already ate up a month's rent in two weeks

extended stay doesn't have full meal breakfasts just granola bars and a coffee pitcher

just hire a cleaning lady every month
>>
>>29603929

If you can get as cheap as $570 / month on an apartment then the extended stay hotels in your area are probably also cheaper than the ones in my area. A lot of this will be determined by the cost of living for where you live. Obviously you can't compare New York City apartments to Dallas apartments for example.
>>
>>29603840
>>29603874

I've lived in a two story apartment, had master bedroom with a balcony, and upstairs kitchen and sitting room for the equivalent of 600 dollars/monthly all expenses.
>>
>>29603968

>extended stay doesn't have full meal breakfasts just granola bars and a coffee pitcher

Which extended stay are you talking about? I've been getting the eggs, hashbrowns, and french vanilla coffee at mine. Good enough for me desu.
>>
>>29603985
That's for a nice apartment. I could get a cheap shitty place for $300/month easy. The cheapest extended stay place in my area is $30/night. Which is $900/month +tax. The nice apartment is still cheaper even after factoring in utilities and maid service. And is also way bigger and nicer than a small hotel room.
>>
>>29604139

>I could get a cheap shitty place for $300/month easy

Where do you live where that's available? I thought $500 / month for somewhere shitty in the middle of nowhere was the absolute rock bottom out of the entire continental US.
>>
>>29604139
Where the fuck do you live?

Not an original comment

Also not an original comment
>>
>>29604295

I don't know where he is, but I'm in the middle of nowhere Montana, and I have a nice small place for just under $500/month.
>>
>>29604332

>Montana

So it would just be a room with no stores or restaurants within a 100 mile radius?
>>
>>29604311
>>29604295
New Mexico. Land of Entrapment.
>>
And for maybe $100 more a month you can get two beds, why are robots not pairing up to live in hotels yet?
>>
>>29604352

I live in a very small town, but it has 2 grocery stores and 2 gas stations. Almost everything is walkable. There's a McD, a Pizza Hut, and a Dairy Queen, and maybe 4 independent restaurants. And that's about it for 50 miles or so.
>>
>>29604386

> land of entrapment

That's a funny line, but that's Florida, m8. Took years of preparing to leave that shithole (south FL). It's like a roach motel - you can move in but you'll never make enough money to move out. An 8 hour drive with no stopping just to make it to the Florida border. Fuck that place.
>>
Good idea, except hotel internet is ass.
>>
>>29604468

Yeah, and the better the hotel, the shittier the internet, oftentimes.
>>
>>29604457
New Mexico is called the "Land of Enchantment."
>>
>>29604468

I'm using mine now and it not only plays videos fine but it also works well enough for my office VPN. I did notice at the Hilton a while back that their regular "free" internet was basically unusable and just a scam to force you to pay for their "premium" internet instead while still getting to advertise that they gave you free internet.
>>
My rent here in AZ has never been more than $500/month. My last place was $350/month (room in a friends house -- she liked me, lowered cost). One before that was $400, me and a bud split a 2 bed-room apartment.

$60/night is $1800 a month. That's way too much of my income.
>>
>>29604386

Damn that's cheap, I sorta wanted to move there, either Albuquerque , Tucson or Deming
>>
>>29604502

I know, I was just thinking about being trapped in FL. PTSD autism. Sorry
>>
>>29604511

>$60/night is $1800 a month. That's way too much of my income.

If you lived at one of the regular Hilton chain hotels for a year it'd probably cost you over a $100,000. I hope one day a few years down the line I'll have so much disposable income that doing something like that won't sound like a bad idea anymore.
>>
>>29603834

I can rent 3 bed 2 bath house for $900/mo

I live in good ol Bama
>>
>>29603753
It's crazy expensive, but it's probably your only shot at getting a room to yourself in the CA bay area. Rent keeps going up around here, big money keeps getting shoved around to stop new housing.
>>
>>29603874
Where do you live? Here those shoeboxes are $400 or $500 a month and they include basic utilities
>>
>>29604558

>Where do you live?

Tejas.
>>
>>29604548

> CA bay area

Squatting in some rich Chinese guy's condo that he never visits should be pretty easy if they have shitty lobby security.
>>
>>29603968
I stayed at one for 2 months with a full breakfast.
>>
>>29603968
>>29604580

I would get so heated if a hotel promised breakfast but they only had granola bars.
>>
>>29604564

Some shit town in TX? I used to live on Houston & even the ghetto apartments there were at least $500
>>
>>29604599

>Houston

That's basically the most shit city in Texas to be fair senpai.
>>
>>29604523
Don't do it. Albuquerque and the entirety of this state is a worthless shithole. You'll regret it and feel trapped.
>>
>>29604635

>Albuquerque and the entirety of this state is a worthless shithole. You'll regret it and feel trapped.

So trapped that he'll eventually resort to cooking meth, ostensibly to help support his family and cover medical bills for his recent cancer diagnosis although in actuality because it makes him feel alive and gives him the purpose in life that had eluded him until then?
>>
>>29604629

Aside from Austin, Houston is the only decent city TX has. I bet you like living in Vidor
>>
File: comeonnow.jpg (143 KB, 1920x1847) Image search: [Google]
comeonnow.jpg
143 KB, 1920x1847
>>29604680

>Austin

anon-kun...
>>
>>29604635
>>29604657

Is it just me or do robots just hate wherever they are?
>>
>>29604680

I lived in a hotel in Dallas for 6 months total. Not my favorite place but if you told anyone that they'd think you were some kind of anti-Texas bigot.
>>
>>29604700

A lot do. I liked living in NYC, and I like it here in Montana. You just have to live a bunch of places to know what it's like, or if you're miserable you'll start to assume it must be where you live.
>>
>>29604700
why would robots ever be happy?
>>
>>29604564
I live in SA and they're all relatively cheap, and had a friend who lived in them for pedo charges, I would probably not ever get used to living in those though
>>
>>29604724

What if they lived in a beach town in San Diego? How can they be sad there?
>>
>>29604680
Austin is only cool for the venues, and Houston floods almost every 2 months so enjoy drowning, lel
>>
>>29604770

Austin is great if you're a homosexual liberal college student.
>>
>>29603834
That's 5 times the average wage in my country.
>>
>>29604787

$10/day is average? Liberia?
>>
>>29604770

I lived in HTX from 11-15, never flooded in my area
>>
>>29604787

Even slaves count as 3/5 of a person, the free market is basically saying you're only 1/3 the human value of a slave.
>>
>>29604787

Low wage with internet, gonna guess India or Philippines.
>>
>>29604844
>>29604809
Nope, Serbia. In before kebab etc.
>>
>>29604700
That's probably true. But NM and Albuquerque are objectively horrible places. I've lived a lot of places and hate it here the most. I was genuinepy happy in some places.

I'll be moving by the end of the year at least. Hopefully sooner.
>>
>>29604893

I was going to say Serbia jokingly too.

Congrats on your new Air Serbia direct to NYC service btw. Saw that.
>>
>>29604893

Is living in Serbia like this movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film
>>
>>29604893

Serbias wage is that low? No wonder your country produces alot of NBA players. You'll the niggers of europe
>>
>>29604897
>'ll be moving by the end of the year at least. Hopefully sooner.

Where do you plan to move to?
>>
>>29604933
Yeah, a great escape route for all the America-funded government officials I guess, I'm not exactly sure who else will ever be using it. It's not like a normal person can afford it like they could in ex-Yugoslavia when it last existed (they're pretending like this is the first time it ever existed in history).
>>
Anybody aware of the concept of Moby's "Hotel" LP?

It's actually kind of intriguing.

Given the opportunity, sure. I'd stay in a hotel for an extended period. I like being catered for. It makes me feel privileged.
>>
>>29605112

Yeah. My best friend as a little kid was from Yugoslavia, his parents were straight old country, worked hard and made a good blue collar living here in the US. Those kinds of jobs don't exist here anymore so it's dead on both sides.
>>
It's not as fun as it sounds OP because you know that you'll have to move at the end so you can't buy a bunch of shit that you would otherwise have in your house. I found even staying in quite expensive places that I always had that anxiety that I wasn't actually living there.

Nothing beats owning your own home desu.
>>
>>29605261

>you know that you'll have to move at the end

What end? I'm going to continue living in this hotel until I'm dead. There's no time limit, that's why I'm doing it. I hate temporary things desu, I wouldn't do it if it were just for a month or even just for a year.
>>
>>29604295
>>29604386
They seriously have $300/month spots in New Mexico? I need to move immediately.
>>
>>29605261
>>29605305

Also, I did think about taking out a mortgage for a house as another possibility. I ultimately decided against doing that though since even after you pay off the mortgage you never really get to be done with payments. You still have to pay property taxes, electricity, repairs, and then keep up with constant maintenance or else your HOA will fine you (sometimes for shit as trivial as having grass that's too long).
>>
>>29603834
>only be $1,500 / month, which isn't that different from most monthly apartment rental rates.

Fucking where? For that price I can get a 3 bed 2 bath in Corpus Christi, TX.
>>
>>29605305
So you're really going to treat the hotel room like a house? Are you going to be able to setup a computer or gaming setup? Speakers, w/e.

What if the hotel's management changes and the prices go up? What if it goes bust? So many factors man but psychologically I just don't like the fact that I have no control over where I'm staying so anyone could just kick me out.

To each their own, I guess. There are good aspects to hotel living like the fact that it feels comfy as fuck, that you get to socialize more (if you choose to), room service, cleaning service, awesome bathrooms, etc ...
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 517x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 517x376
>be homeless
>be on weed binge, too weak to carry around backpack
>check into hotel for 2 weeks, $43 a night (a measly 31 of your American sheckels)
>hold weed hits until smoke is clear then exhale into a balloon
>balloons build up all over room, eventually let them down but too lazy most of the time
>shared bathroom so I piss in the sink, violently spraying the surrounding wall, mirror and carpet
>food packets and old delivery boxes strewn everywhere
>smells like shit, no opening windows
>panic attacks waiting for room service to knock on the door every morning- "all good for today thankyou!"
>have to go out one morning
>return to find the room made up with empty balloons sitting in the middle of the bed
>theyknow.jpg
>>
>>29605305
Don't think anyone had asked this but what do you do for a living?
>>
>>29605477

>Are you going to be able to setup a computer or gaming setup? Speakers, w/e

I already have a laptop plugged in which is all I've ever used even before this when living in apartments. I don't understand why anyone would want anything more than a laptop. I guess since you mentioned speakers you care about sound coming through a certain way? I don't care much about sensory details personally.

>What if the hotel's management changes and the prices go up?

Then I'm in a really great position since I'm not locked into a lease like with an apartment and can go stay at any number of other places instead if I really don't want to pay more money.
>>
>>29605508

I'm a workforce management systems analyst. I spend most of my time automating work processes so fewer people have to be staffed to cover the same work loads.
>>
>>29605545
So do you work at home? You get direct deposit?
>>
>>29605545

lol almost exact same job i had when i lived in hotels year-round

consultant lyfe
>>
>>29605545
So you help replace people's jobs with machines. Am I reading that correctly?

KILL ME NOW
>>
>>29605628

Not him but that's what I did - not machines but code. In my case, either redundant processes were combined or manual processes were automated. There's a shitton of money in it because labor is the number one cost for many of these businesses. I can't even imagine how much money the robotics guys are making. And yes, unless Basic Income becomes a thing, wealth will continue to be more and more inequitable until we're basically back to feudalism. Fun times ahead.
>>
>>29605695
Robotics would be an amazing profession desu. I'm going to make some time to learn AI and get into robots. Should be highly lucrative if done right.
>>
>>29605753

The time is still ripe, and will be for quite a while, go for it.
>>
>>29605618

>So do you work at home?

I'm on salary (i.e. I get paid the same amount of money regardless of how much time I spend at work) and have VPN access. So sometimes I work from home, but most of the time I show up and work from my office.

>>29605627

Yeah, it's good stuff. When you're in that kind of "perceived as knowledgeable" role it's a lot more laid back, like the power dynamic goes from bosses demanding you do their errands to more along the lines of colleagues asking you to make time for them so you can do them a favor.

>>29605628

>So you help replace people's jobs with machines. Am I reading that correctly?

Pretty much. I would clarify though that I know very little about physical machinery. Everything I do is programming (C++, C#, .NET framework web development, batch file / python scripting for smaller file manipulation processes, T-SQL for querying / backend data management, and I also make use of a domain specific machine learning language I wrote a couple years ago (interpretted in C++)).
>>
>>29605502
>with empty balloons sitting in the middle of the bed
Wew, not only did they know but they seems perfectly fine with it

Find that cleaning lady and marry her
>>
>>29606194
>they seems perfectly fine with it
I dunno I thought it might have been a warning gesture. Anyway I was more careful not to let them in my room from that point until I had checked out.

Also it was an Indian man but marriage is a possibility
>>
>>29603753
>Check out the ones that call themselves "extended stay" if you want in on this action, they're the ones that are more likely to be OK with you never leaving even after months or years and they'll also be more affordable for long term stays e.g. $50-$60 / night.

> $50 x 31 days = $1,550, at $60 the cost goes up to $1,860 a month

In most places that's a mortgage payment for a very nice house. If you get tired of the house you could always sell it or rent it out for extra sheckles.
>>
>>29606349
No bank is going to entrust a dishevled, socially inept NEET with no charisma with hundreds of thousands of dollars of credit
>>
>>29606349

>In most places that's a mortgage payment for a very nice house.

I know, see:

>>29605384

>Also, I did think about taking out a mortgage for a house as another possibility. I ultimately decided against doing that though since even after you pay off the mortgage you never really get to be done with payments. You still have to pay property taxes, electricity, repairs, and then keep up with constant maintenance or else your HOA will fine you (sometimes for shit as trivial as having grass that's too long).

You never really "own" a house, it owns you. In an abstract sense I really did like the idea of owning my own home, but in practice it would be tons of extra hassle. I ended up realizing what I really want is less to worry about, not more, hence hotel living.

>If you get tired of the house you could always sell it or rent it out for extra sheckles.

That's a good way to lose a lot of money. If you're going to have tenants you might as well buy an apartment building so you at least aren't betting everything on just one tenant.
>>
>>29603968
also make sure to lock up your shit so a bitch dont steal
>>29603753
extended stays are for cucks getting divorced and who are kicked out of the house
>>
>>29603834
I live alone in a 2 bedroom house in the suburbs for $1,040 a month.
>>
>>29606561

>extended stays are for cucks getting divorced and who are kicked out of the house

They're definitely for those people, but they're not exclusively for those people.
>>
>>29603753
Fuck your yuppie shit, I'm poor.
>>
>>29606600

How could you be poor when you literally have dub dubs?
>>
>>29603753
The pod hotel I stayed at in Tokyo had a a guy who had lived there for over three years. All he had was a bed with a small shelf and a tiny locker for his stuff. Toilet, shower and laundry room was shared among guests and no kitchen was present unless you count the one microwave and a vending machine.
>>
>>29606620

>Toilet, shower... was shared

That's the part that would be a definite deal breaker for me.
>>
>>29606600
But rich on dubs
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.