[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do YOU do when you're too depressed to enjoy the things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1455903081362.jpg (19 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1455903081362.jpg
19 KB, 375x375
What do YOU do when you're too depressed to enjoy the things you once spent all your time doing?
>>
I stop being depressed
>>
take six tylonal p.ms lay in bed wishing i had the courage to kill myself
>>
fall into a downward spiral of embarrassing activities and addictive behavior that ruins me as an individual so i can blame it all on myself in order to feel some modicum of autonomy
>>
>>29593963
This is too close, the feels are too much
>>
When I'm depressed, I stop being depressed and start being awesome instead. True story.
>>
>>29593872
pop 6 sleeping pills and wake up the next day
>>
>>29593963
Holy shit that's basically my life.
>>
File: cat knows what's up.jpg (209 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
cat knows what's up.jpg
209 KB, 1280x1280
>>29593963
this robot knows what's up.
>>
stop doing those things

you're burned out

eventually you'll come back and enjoy them as much
>>
>>29593872
I sleep and jerk off until I regain interest
>>
>>29593872
>drink alcohol
>watch tv/films
>play video games
>realise I don't enjoy any of them anymore
>>
>>29593872
put on some music or a stream in the background
trust me it helps

Me, I try to learn something new.
>>
>>29595003
>>drink alcohol
this, and only this
>>
Short term, if it's one of those days where I don't feel in the mood for anything, I usually just lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling. Maybe I drink; maybe I put on some music. I just sort of drift.

Long term, if I've lost interest in something that I really used to like, I try to deconstruct why I feel that way.

Video gaming is a good example. I used to enjoy lots of online games, but lately I've become very disillusioned. It's not because the games are worse; it's because I approach it in a different way. When I was younger, I used to just jump in and have fun. Sure, I liked doing well, but it was primarily uncomplicated fun. As I've gotten older, I've become more obsessed with stats and doing well. Losing is incredibly personal and makes me stressed, frustrated and angry.

I'm left with two outcomes: either I'm shit at the game, so I hate it; or, I'm good at it, which means that I'm under constant pressure to do well. Some games I have stopped playing because my stats got very good and I'm afraid that if I play anymore, I will regress. Ultimately, I greet competitive online games with huge apprehension - mostly I just play unranked and/or against AI/bots.

I don't mean to go off track, I'm just trying to give an example. What I did was to try to deconstruct my feelings. I realised that my sense of self-worth was predicated on tangible achievements e.g. K/D ratio, because I have no self-esteem (for many reasons). Thus, winning or losing was incredibly personal to me. The solution has been to try to step away from the aspects that I dislike, whilst retaining what I enjoy.

Of course, there are times when something doesn't feel right anymore. Maybe you outgrew it. It does happen. My point is that you should try to figure out why you feel the way that you do so that you can 'rescue' a former hobby. Plus, the added bonus is that if you can figure out what you liked about the hobby, you can try to take up something that fits better.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.