[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the feeling of melancholy underappreciated in modern society?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: .......png (552 KB, 1482x1080) Image search: [Google]
.......png
552 KB, 1482x1080
Why is the feeling of melancholy underappreciated in modern society?
>>
File: dad.jpg (81 KB, 500x474) Image search: [Google]
dad.jpg
81 KB, 500x474
>>29593098
It's over-appreciated actually. Just look at the angsty girls of tumblr, the sadbois of /r9k/ and the failed normies of /r/me_irl. They wallow in their sadness and turn it into a fashion statement. It's hip to be a boring, melancholic, contemplative fuck with empty eyes.
Pic unrelated
>>
>>29593224
I don't know if that constitutes as appreciation of melancholy, seems to me to be just ironic deprecation.
>>
>>29593261
This is what melancholy deserves. Real men are choleric
>>
>>29593098
>>29593224
>>29593261

I knew it was all over when so many people started calling themselves "losers", and female sluts and whores kept going off on weird tangents about how "society" outcasts them and such (all because a cute Chad with morals wouldn't date/marry them).

It really made me grow up and see things in a different way. I didn't want to be like all those pieces of shit that WANTED to be miserable and depressed. I still am depressed, but I try to fight it everyday, and now I have a template of what not to be.
>>
>>29593330
That has been a thing for many years though. Even in ancient Greek times this occured.
>>
>>29593580

Not really. I grew up in an environment where calling yourself a loser and being depressed was wrong, and frowned upon. My family, friends, school, community, the Internet, they all thought that way, or at least, that was the prevailing narrative.

Something recently has changed.
>>
>>29593600
>Something recently has changed.
nope. if you look depressed you'll still not get / keep a job, have no friends etc.
this only applies to men though, if a woman looks decent she can get away with anything
>>29593580
citation needed on that
>>
>>29593600
>>29593641
Should have explained that better, sorry. Was talking about the distancing from society. There has been a silent acceptance of depression but I think that has more to do with the progress made in the medical field.
>>
>>29593641

>this only applies to men though, if a woman looks decent she can get away with anything

Of course she can, but why is there such a dominant culture of feeling sorry for oneself now?
>>
>>29593661
>Of course she can, but why is there such a dominant culture of feeling sorry for oneself now?
only on the internet I think, everyone are still expected to be cheerful (or at least not gloomy) in real life
>>
File: 1338632489582.jpg (48 KB, 346x385) Image search: [Google]
1338632489582.jpg
48 KB, 346x385
>>29593700
I'll be as gloomy self hating jaded and cynical as I want.
Fuck your shit.
>>
Because our culture is more superficial. Sad? Just do drugs and fuck sluts bro!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.