[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get a dog, /r9k/? I feel like I've got a lot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: puppy.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
puppy.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
Should I get a dog, /r9k/? I feel like I've got a lot of love to give, and I work from home and there's a pretty big park near me so looking after one wouldn't be a problem. What kind of dog would be good? Should I look for specific breeds or just head to the shelter/pound and see which one I seem to click with?

>What if they all reject me like everyone else?
>>
Research which dogs are the healthiest. generally mutts are the hardiest, but you want to make sure its parents didn't both die from liver failure at age 3 with hip problems.

If you live in a hot area, dont get a dog with a thick coat like a Husky or a Chow, it's pretty much abuse.

Look up which dogs are easiest to train.
>>
>>29586132
>What if they all reject me like everyone else?

animals never do that except if you treat them like shit. they are always honest and non-judgemental. thats why i like them so much.
>>
File: mfw anon can get a puppy.jpg (116 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mfw anon can get a puppy.jpg
116 KB, 1920x1080
>>29586132

>anon can literally get a puppy today and I can't
>>
>>29586132
I think two doggos is best. That way they can entertain each other and you dont feel guilty if you get busy and have to leave them on their own all day, so long as you return in time to feed them.

In general, two dogs will be better behaved and less destructive than one dog on its own.
>>
>>29586132
Taking care of a pet isn't as easy as it sounds.

Make sure you are ready to commit at least 30 minutes twice a day for a walk. I have a German Shepherd and I take him out right after I wake up to let her pee and when I come from school I take her out for an hour and 30 minutes in the evening.

Patience is the key in training the dog. You should never get mad at the doggie because it simply doesn't know what's wrong or right. Rather you should reward the doggie for doing good
>>
File: dogg.jpg (68 KB, 307x570) Image search: [Google]
dogg.jpg
68 KB, 307x570
Get a Lab from a good breeder. They are the best qualities of dogs all rolled into one.

Just prepare to have your heart wrenched out like you've never felt before when they die. If you've never had a dog it isn't like any other pet. It's virtually a child and a legitimate friend.
>>
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0038027

Tl;Dr: They trained some dogs to sit still in an fMRI and mapped their brain activity. Dogs have one part of their brain specifically devoted to remembering other dogs, but another entirely different region just for remembering human faces!

They have done hormonal studies and found that dogs produce Oxytocin when they are shown a picture of their owner. Your dog literally loves you too.

Dogs are awesome. and way more complex and emotional and intelligent than a whole bunch of angry autistic shitposters are about to say they are.
>>
>>29586315
A dog passing is sort of sad

But it's usually not traumatic because you typically see it coming for the prior year.

I personally rationalized the 2 dog deaths in my life as thinking that they had good happy lives and I treasure their memories. I mourn, but I don't feel completely heart broken about it.
>>
>>29586340
man i want a doggo now. might look into it once i move out.
>>
>>29586315
> getting a doggo from a breeder
Its like you hat animals desu
>>
>>29586132
A dog is not some magical fix for your problems, just ask fat people who intend to get healthy by walking the dog. A dog is a massive commitment and a lot of responsibility. Don't get one if you're not ready. You'll just end up throwing it away in the same manner which society has done with you.
>>
>>29586349
I guess it depends on circumstance. Mine got a stomach tumor at 10 out of no where and died a few months later.
>>
File: Italian-Greyhound-Black.jpg (76 KB, 677x900) Image search: [Google]
Italian-Greyhound-Black.jpg
76 KB, 677x900
My favourite breed is Greyhounds.

They are actually surprisingly lazy and placid by nature, and I think they have great personalities: they're super curious and playful but still fairly gentle.

Plus I think they look cool and it's neat getting to hang out with the second fastest land animal on earth.

My area has a whole bunch of Greyhound rescue centres where you can adopt greyhounds which werent fast enough to make money racing, rather than the owner just killing them.
>>
>>29586132
Puppies are a pain in the ass. Adoptive adult dogs are always degenerate. Honestly anon don't do it unless your parents will take care of it.
>>
File: 1429392759361 wanwan Dance.gif (485 KB, 272x251) Image search: [Google]
1429392759361 wanwan Dance.gif
485 KB, 272x251
>>29586222
>anon can literally get a puppy today and I can't

Just what exactly is stopping imouto from getting a puppy? Living arrangements, money, something else?
>>
>>29586918

Pretty much everything my familia
>>
No. Dogs have been selectively bred to NEED the company of humans to be happy. As soon as you're not paying attention to it for any amount of time, it lives in complete misery. Not to mention if you have to go to the shops or something.

If you do get one, at least save one from the pound.
>>
File: vapes lmao.png (52 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
vapes lmao.png
52 KB, 640x400
>>29586132
*vapes*
Dogs are shit kill urself lmao XDXDXD fag lol
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.