[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't think I've ever been able to a protagonist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: Bickle.jpg (151 KB, 928x628) Image search: [Google]
Bickle.jpg
151 KB, 928x628
I don't think I've ever been able to a protagonist more than in this film. What are some other robot films that deal with misanthropy and alienation that are similar to Taxi Driver?
>>
>>29572470
*able to relate
>>
>>29572470
I don't identify *that* much. I'm not that deep into madness I guess. And not psychotic like that. I would't want to hurt anyone. But hell yeah, I could relate to him A LOT. Sometimes I feel like I'm not meant to live for so long. And that I should find some way to make my demise useful.

I can't really think of another movie like this...
>>
>>29572741
he goes mad, sure, but he's first and foremost a lonely man - so lonely he's "God's lonely man."
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0q4ETyHGClL
>>
File: Onehr.jpg (41 KB, 350x222) Image search: [Google]
Onehr.jpg
41 KB, 350x222
>>29572470
One hour photo is the most accurate representation of a robot I've seen. The crushing loneliness is too real it will make you uncomfortable.
>>
File: Detachment_poster.jpg (37 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
Detachment_poster.jpg
37 KB, 300x445
>>29572470
I relate to the main dude from Detachment. like, an incredible amount
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 335x525
>>29573163
That movie sucked so fucking bad never post again thanks senpai
>>
drive, I'm like a less successful driver
>>
>>29573209
>saying senpai
we both know who's opinion now means dogshit. either way, I don't need the movie to be good to still relate to the guy. It's the idea of him that's relatable, ya jackass
>>
File: Elliot.jpg (120 KB, 345x418) Image search: [Google]
Elliot.jpg
120 KB, 345x418
Not a film, but you should check out the show "Mr. Robot". The second season starts next month. The protagonist is a bona fide robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYo2wtL9fsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P18LudATrw
>>
>>29573462
>bona fide robot
>bangs his hot drug dealer 20 minutes into the first episode
>she's his girlfriend a few episodes later
He's got a mental illness, but he's not a robot
>>
>>29573462
this guy is pretty edgy. But I agree with what he's going at.
>>
>>29573483
He has to hack people to feel as though he has a connection with them, he may have had sex but he's certainly detached
>>
>>29573515
Still not a true robot though
>>
File: y6brratw.jpg (114 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
y6brratw.jpg
114 KB, 500x708
I identified with pic related protagonist
Super is another one to check out
>>
>>29573262

spotted the redditor

bloxx
>>
>>29573483
>>29573577

regardless it still fits OPs description of media that deals with misanthropy/alienation.
>>
>>29573209
You are a major pleb if you didn't like that film
>>
>>29572470
Maniac (I know it's rare, but the remake is actually better imho).
>>
File: hertzfeldt-movie-poster.jpg (76 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
hertzfeldt-movie-poster.jpg
76 KB, 674x1024
You should watch It's Such a Beautiful Day. It doesn't have the same sense of alienation, but it is very relateable for how bland and meaningless the protagonists life is and how he must face it almost entirely alone.

You could also try watching Happiness. It's a black comedy and probably won't illicit a great emotional response, but one if the characters it follows is a lonely man that is a complete loser and just wants a girlfriend. It's not quite what you're asking for, but it's a good movie and I would recommend it.

I feel like there's another movie similar to Taxi Driver that I know of, but I can't recall what it is right now, if I do I'll post it here.
>>
>>29574508
It's not the movie I was thinking of, but I would also highly recommend The King of Comedy. It's another Scorsese-DeNiro film and it's almost like a lighthearted, PG Taxi Driver in many ways. It's a fantastic film, and I would also say its DeNiro's best performance, so definitely watch that.
>>
>>29572470
I watched this last year and it was my exact mindset from 13-19.

Thank God college was full of nice people that turned my life around
>>
File: 1441192940474.jpg (6 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
1441192940474.jpg
6 KB, 300x167
>>29573115
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FmFaK7pMU
>>
>>29574718
This became more my mindset after going to university. I had always blamed my inability to fit in because I just simply hadn't met the right people yet but when I went to university I was still completely incapable of interacting meaningfully with others. It made me realise that like Travis I've been conditioned to see the world in a way that makes it impossible to form relationships with other humans.
>>
>>29574924
>This became more my mindset after going to university. I had always blamed my inability to fit in because I just simply hadn't met the right people yet but when I went to university I was still completely incapable of interacting meaningfully with others. It made me realise that like Travis I've been conditioned to see the world in a way that makes it impossible to form relationships with other humans.
I'm pretty hopeless man, nice people made me realize that I have a strong personality by virtue of being so odd for so long.

It's the people, not you. After building some confidence I can handle even some pricks that clearly don't like me.

Confidence is everything m8, Travis was in trouble because his life went from disappointment to disappointment; Betsy, work, etc.

That's the real problem, you need to establish momentum to get going.
>>
>>29573462
>is able to fuck a girl
>is actually good at something
>is actually able to look edgy AND cool
Fuck him
>>
>>29575160
You could pull of that shit. No one knows enough about computers to call you on it. Just say some shit about Linux and emacs and hacking NASA.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.