[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How am I going to be treated in psych ward if I fail to kill myself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2
File: 1463681546593.jpg (42 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
1463681546593.jpg
42 KB, 500x670
How am I going to be treated in psych ward if I fail to kill myself?
>>
With pills
>>
>>29571431
This desu, I'm here for the same thing right now it's fairly comfy.

Can't cum when you're on antidepressants tho, choose wisely
>>
>>29571352
It depends on the hospital. If you respect the rules of the place and the people who work with you there, you should be treated fine. The goal for people there is to make sure you and others are safe.

However, it also depend on what you want as far as treatment is concerned (medication, therapy, counseling, social work, rehab, etc.) and what they see suitable to provide for you, as it is up to them and how your situation is viewed.

I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>29571588
If you go to a good hospital, you should be treated okay even if you're non-compliant and act like an asshole.

I don't know what shitty hospitals are like, and I don't know whether you'd end up at a good one or not. And I'm not sure if this is universally true, but I know when I was hospitalized there was no in depth therapy or counseling because everything was focused on stabilization, not trying to fix everything.
>>
>>29571352

Okay. The food was better than the shit I ate at home. Just don't try to think of the outside world and how every passage out is locked. You mostly interact with nurses, teachers (if adolescent), social workers, and orderlies because the shrinks are in some ivory tower interviewing hundreds of patients or planning their golf excursion with colleagues. When you do talk to them it feels like you have to say everything perfectly or you get extra days tacked on.
>>
>>29571689
Where I went you saw the psych most days. It was supposed to be once a day, but that wasn't always feasible.

OP the main risk is that if you fail a suicide attempt and end up hospitalized, you'll probably be involuntarily committed would be a whole shitshow.
>>
>>29571431

They also check under your tongue to see if you are hiding them and flushing them down the toilet in your bathroom when they aren't looking.
>>
>>29571588
Fucking this. The minute you start acting like a little shit or giving them a hard time is when they start strapping you to the bed, cramming 3x the amount of pills down your throat, and talk of a "prolonged stay"
>>
>>29571547
What method did you fuck up?
>>
>>29571730
You're allowed to refuse medications unless you're in that moment going to be a threat to yourself or others without it. It's that they don't want you stashing pills to get high/try to OD on.

>>29571732
You must have been taking "acting like a little shit or giving them a hard time" to a pretty extreme level. Unless your hospital was just way overly liberal about using restraints.
>>
File: 1441476085607.jpg (56 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
1441476085607.jpg
56 KB, 300x360
They'll literally just ask you to promise you won't do it again. That's it. Nothing more.
>>
>>29571547
You have unrestricted internet access? Lucky fuck. Where I went there were only a few sites we were allowed to use. Fun story though, we were allowed to use Google and all it's associated sites, so one guy used Google Talk to chat with his girlfriend, and she sent him nudes. Like 5 people ended up seeing them.
>>
>>29571716

It does depend on the hospital. At one place I went, I only saw the main doctor 3 or 4 times in 2 months, and the secondary doctor a couple times. Still the point remains that nurses and other staff are who you interact with mostly.
>>
>>29571840
You're right, the nurses are the vast majority of your staff interaction, I'm not denying that. But it sounds like the clinical staff where you went must have been massively overstretched.
>>
I never got this, can they actually force you to stay there (like in jail) or is it up to you when you want to go home?
Also how long can they keep you there? are you allowed to see anybody?
Can they theoretically lock you up for the rest of your life?
>>
>>29571812

I went back in the mid 90s when the Internet was a pretty new thing. We didn't even have computers. We watched movies on VHS, did schoolwork, and some athletic activities. One place had a pool and a big gym but we hardly got to use either, which made no sense. That was the most boring one I went to.
>>
>>29571869
If you're involuntarily committed, you can't leave until they say it's okay. If you're voluntary, you can leave whenever you want, all the psychiatrist can do is make a note that you left against advisement. Getting involuntary requires a court order. I think in almost all hospitals you're allowed to see visitors. You would need to be absolutely, balls to the wall insane to be committed for your whole life. The max you could be looking at for a normal stay is a couple months, anything longer than that would be very abnormal. Not that a couple months isn't already outside the norm.
>>
>>29571868

Nah, the head doctor was just a bitch and didn't even seem to like talking to her patients. She'd also have about 10 psych students observe her conversations, which was weird. This never happened at other hospitals at which I stayed. I may have had one or two student evaluators at one other hospital.
>>
>>29571890
My hospital supposedly used to have a pool, but it's no longer used. There's another building with some gym shit, but only kids get to use it. The best we got in regards to that was a little exercise room with a bike, a treadmill, and an elliptical. My stays were surprisingly not too boring, mostly because I actually could interact with people. At almost all times I had at least one or two people who I could talk to at most times of the day, and other that I was able to write a lot more than I am outside, and just read or watched TV to fill in the gaps with that. We also had a Wii, but I only played games on that a handful of times.
>>
>>29571896
So if I smell a court order coming I can voluntary go there and then leave after a week?
>>
>>29571896

If you get the note for being against medical advisement, some insurance companies won't pay. Good luck with that. It's just as good as keeping you in as long as they want.
>>
>>29571940
We never had psych students at the place I went, but we did get nursing students, and holy shit were they hot. That was a topic of quite a bit of conversation when they were around. One of the guys there flat out hit on one of them. Though he also hit on one of the regular staff too.

Some of the nursing students were actually very good, one I met was better than half the actual staff there.
>>
>>29571950

I remember them keeping us in our rooms instead of doing activities some times. Maybe the staff was overstretched, but they really just seemed like assholes that wanted some time to hang out with the teen patients not bugging them.
>>
>>29571968
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. You can get fucked with stuff like insurance and getting prescriptions for when you leave. But ultimately, it is still your choice to leave.
>>29571954
Sort of, but if they want to they can get the court order while you're there voluntarily. I watched that happen to someone. You just need to stay aware of what will give them grounds to make you involuntary, i.e. very strong suicidal ideation (you basically need to give them proof you're actively trying to kill yourself at that moment in time), or violent actions.
>>
>>29571987
Yeah, I'm under the impression that going to the mental hospital as a minor is torturous. I was lucky in that was aimed at people from ages 18-26 (with some exceptions, I remember one 17 year old and a handful of 26-30 year old's.) It was called an emerging adult unit. The vast majority of the staff was pretty good, and entirely willing to spend time with patients if needed. You could basically just spend half the day talking with someone if you were pretty bad off. You weren't technically supposed to hang around the nursing station talking to them, but they only told people to go away if they were talking about something confidential with a patient. You could always ask to talk with someone as long as they had the staff.
>>
>>29571994

I should have gotten out of one within the first week instead of staying 2 months. Even if you pay 10% on an insurance plan, 5 days without insurance is better than 60 days with it.
>>
>>29572061
Exactly, that's your choice to make.

Man am I glad that my family didn't need to spend a cent on my stays though.
>>
You may meet qt's. Nothing will happen, but it's easier to talk to them when everyone knows everyone else is fucked up enough to end up there.
>>
How does the actual treatment work exactly? Some people have mentioned therapy (+pills obviously), but how does the therapy itself work? Like what questions will you get asked, what activities do you have to participate in etc. (Talking about therapy for suicidal tendencies)

Also since a lot of people who posted in this thread went to such hospitals, what was wrong with your psych, how long did you stay, and how are your lives these days? Are able to live without pills?
>>
>>29572403
I'll state again that at my hospital there wasn't real therapy. There were two kinds of groups that were semi-therapeutic though. Those in which the staff tried to teach us coping skills so we didn't off ourselves as soon as we got out, and those in which we could basically talk about whatever we wanted. If no one brought any topics up, the social workers would sometimes bring one. Off the top of my head, we talked about things like relationships, making progress in your treatment (and sobriety where applicable), various pressures and stressors, social interaction, etc.

My psych was fine, I had 3 stays totally 35 days (10, 20, and 5), my life is still shit, and I eat like 10+ pills a day to function.
>>
What are you allowed to bring whenever they want you to go? I suppose no phones and sharp objects and such
>>
>>29572942
In my experience, the rules were no electronics and no to absolutely anything which could potentially be used to harm yourself. That means no belts, no shoelaces, absolutely nothing metal, etc. My mom gave me one of those adult coloring books (which shitloads of people did at the ward, even the most hardcore criminal motherfuckers loved that shit), but I couldn't bring it in because it was bound with two staples. No pens or pencils, they give you safety pens and short pencils.
>>
Fuck this

I dont want to fuck up and end up at these shitty places. I want to be dead.
>>
>>29573387
Well then just fucking kill yourself. And don't fuck it up.
>>
>>29573505
yea yea My helium is on the way.

I'm mostly concerned with being seen by anyone.
>>
>>29573661
just lock yourself in your room when no one is home. are you even trying? shouldnt be too hard
>>
>>29573716
I dont want to explain it but getting caught is easy. Mostly because of roomates
It going to happen. I just fear getting caught.
>>
>>29573387
Same, just really like my mother and don't want to do this to her. I really don't know what to do
>>
>>29574049
"You wont care once you're dead"
Just keep saying that until its time to go.

Its working for me and drugs.
>>
>>29574086
But I can't leave her behind like that.
>>
>>29574143
Go argue with her and find reasons to dislike her. I've already done that with my mom so I wont care as much.

I feel bad for you anon. Try not to linger too long.
>>
>>29572546
I'm one of the posters that mentioned therapy, and what you explained in your post summarizes my experiences as well. It does differ from therapy that you would find outside of a hospital, as this is aimed towards a temporary stay, and whatever it was that brought you there.
>>
I don't know where you live and how it's there but I can say that I've had the best time of my life in a psych ward. I've met true friends and overcome my social anxiety in there. I'm diagnosed with BPS and Bipolar Disorder and it really hasn't become any better and I'm probably going to kill myself tomorrow but I can atleast say, that I've had awesome experiences there and I would give everything I have for these times to return. If you manage to overcome yourself and actually manage to socialize you'll get to know people who understand the way you feel since most of them also tried to off themself and have some kind of depression. Like I said it might be different in your country but here in Germany you're not going to get treated like some kind of autistic kid but like an actual human.
Also the girls are fucking hot/cute and have no standards since they have no self esteem so you might find your special person.
>>
>>29574636
>fw you're german

Thanks anon, gives me hope for having a good time at some point if I'm too much of a retard to end myself. Also if you liked it there as much why don't you go back?
>>
>>29574216
I can't do that. Honestly, I just love her a lot, always did. The only way that I could kill myself would be if she died first, which will take some more decades, although I can't see myself staying alive that long.
>>
>>29574851
They kicked me out since the medications I used to sleep sometimes took a few hours to have an effect since my body seems to be fucking retarded. That happend 3 times in a row and since they persist for more than 6 hours I wasn't able to come out of bed and participate in the therapies. So the only logical conclusion was to kick me out. I guess. The therapists and doctors were fucking retarded. Also the people I got to know are all gone by now and are happy with their lifes while I'm just as depressed as before. I'm no longer in touch with most of them since I was afraid of being a clingy, annoying piece of shit and decided not to message them. Yeah I'm retarded.
>>
What happens when you're released? Do you have follow up visits? Do you get anything on your record about having been admitted? Will they re admit you if you do it again?
>>
>>29575019
Also what if you're older? Like 25? Do they treat you the same?
>>
ive been to 4 different mental hospitals in my life, each for about 2 weeks. whats weird is, now that im thinking about it, there is always one super crazy guy there who thinks he is an angel or something similar, someone who obviously did too many drugs and fucked their brain up. as a result, they walk around mumbling, saying crazy shit, claiming to be angels or to be in direct contact with god. I wonder why these people are so common at mental hospitals?
>>
>>29575019
>>29575078
The only people who will see anything about you haven been in a mental hospital are your future psychologists and therapists. You can agree on having someone visiting you to check if you're alright from time to time but that's not mandatory. And yes, if you try to kill yourself again and fail you'll get hospitalized again.
>>
>>29575078
Oh yeah and I've been 19 while I was there, they only really make a difference about people from 1 - 18 and 19 - 99
>>
>be white
>get thrown into a mental hospital while travelling through mississippi
>its an all black area
>the mental hospital is nothing but black patients and black therapists and black doctors
>im literally the only white person
>seems like some weird nightmare
>every day we all basically sit in the rec room and read the bible together, sing gospel songs together praising jesus, and eat black peopel food. everyone is nice to me somehow, i start to feel better.
>>
>>29575349
Why were you hospitalized in a state you were just traveling through?
>>
It still seems kinda bizarre how you would be put in a hospital because you have to be 'safe'. Nevermind the fact that it is my life and my own decision what happens with it but outside of that nobody gives a damn if somebody slowly dies from alcoholism.

The whole deal just feels like it is done for everyone else so they can feel better, people just don't like seeing things falling apart in a flashy way.
>>
if you do it, than make sure you get it right the first time. i wont stop you, but I think it is a pussy move. most of you have no where to go but up.
>>
>>29576413
Well you don't kill yourself just because. Most people have some kind of mental illness and the argumentation is, that they therefore aren't in a position to decide something like that, since they are being "pushed" in that direction. I'm not trying to say that is right thing, I'm the German dude from before, just trying to tell you why.
>>
>>29576445
Mate please. This is not a womens magazine with midlife crisis chicks lamenting some minor inconveniences or some shit. I'm turning 32 soon and I have never been with a woman or even kissed one.

I have never known intimacy and probably never will because I never learned the signals. I don't know when it is ok to touch and I'm not even good enough to get into a situation to make a move.

You could argue disregard bitches, accquire currency but that is a no go either. I've locked myself in my little appartment and and spend 10 fucking years at university (barely ever going there) with NOTHING to show for it. Nobody will employ me and my parents (yes, I'm still dependant on them) will kick me out soon enough once they realise this.

I have absolutely nowhere to go at all. Hardly anyone knows I exist, this shit is done for.
>>
>>29576533
I'm kinda sure I'm not suffering from some sort of mental illness (in before hurr denial is the first sign), I'm just in a hopeless situation I can't fix anymore. It would be a rather clear and concious decision really.
>>
I kind of feel tormented i want to die, but my mother is still alive, i guess one day she's not going to be enough to keep me alive anymore, but today is not this day, maybe tommorow, maybe in 20 years if she lives that long but once she is gone that's my motivation to go, i either die and there is nothing and i won't care because i won't fucking exist anymore, or there is something after death and i can tell god to suck my dick and into the eternal pit of fire i go, fuck paragraphs.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.