[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What hobbies can I do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 245.jpg (136 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
245.jpg
136 KB, 800x800
I want something to occupy my time outside of vidya and weebshit, I already lift so no /fit/ spam. Preferably something that doesn't require much talent or skill because I'm not particularly good at anything (I've tried music and playing an instrument isn't really for me)

Pic unrelated of course
>>
practice suicide

then do it just like you practiced
>>
>>29568701
nice idea, should have tried this sooner
>>
I wish to know too. Pretty much same position as OP. Any decent hobbies for the truly talent less fucks?
>>
Just take up smoking marijuana senpai
it's close enough to a "hobby" that it'll fill your time and it requires absolutely no talent.
>>
>>29568615
Gun collecting.
That's what I do.
Of course, it requires learning a bit more about the way they work and come apart if you want to maintain and operate any of them.
>>
>>29568955
It's a difficult road senpai, I want to be able to accomplish something but I'm terrible at everything I turn my hand to
>>29568992
I occasionally smoke blunts but I'm poor so can't really turn this into a regular thing
>>
File: feel.png (4 KB, 83x100) Image search: [Google]
feel.png
4 KB, 83x100
>>29569077
sorry to hear that
all I do is smoke pot
it fills the void
the horrible horrible void
>>
Gardening

Doesn't require any talent, just a bit of time, and it feels fucking good to grow your own food desu, or if you're a fag like me, to have a bunch of pretty flowers and bushes to look at and relax in. Shit's comfy.
>>
>>29569114
this desu familove desu
>>
File: ats-3f-valve-replacement-video.gif (443 KB, 225x204) Image search: [Google]
ats-3f-valve-replacement-video.gif
443 KB, 225x204
>>29568615
>preferably something that doesn't require much talent or skill

That's the thing though, most of the talented and skilled people are as such because they spent countless hours beating into their craft; not because they started with preternatural inborn skill. Discounting activities because you're not 'good at it' is counterproductive; you'll only be good once you trudge through miles of shit. Once you accept you'll be bad at said hobby for a while at first things get much more approachable.

What I've found is that hobbies that involve some form of creation, and active participation with other people tend to be the most fulfilling.

My overall hobby spread:

I'm trying to reduce my time spent on shit tier hobbies:
>completely cut out anime and other low tier entertainment
>trying to get vidya down to once a week

Trying to get good habits up instead:
>taking care of pet rats, not sure if it counts as a hobby
>starting daily cardio and 4 day split lifting routine
>trying to read more actual books (see: not capeshit or genre fiction)
>Picked up Wacom Intuos, trying to do digital painting and lineart
>trying to learn languages: Illongo, Harigana Japanese, and reviewing Spanish
>a little time per week trying to learn Python
>learning new recipes; getting acceptable at cooking now

Some other ones I've always been interested in but never got around to:
>writing fiction
>video production
>parkour/free-running/etc. cringey name it's called nowadays
>diy electronics, like Arduino, Raspberry pi, and using breadboards to make your own devices
>carpentry and woodworking
>>
>>29569114
Fuck this seems perfect but I live in a shitty apartment with literally nothing but a driveway
>>29569097
I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like I only do it because I have nothing else ti do
>>
>>29569207

ok but what the fuck do you do for fun? play video games once a week? whats the point in living
>>
i can drive a manual tractor trailer. not really a hobby but it's about the only skill i have
>>
>>29569207
Idk man, it seems like you're doing a lot of these things to develop skills which although nice isn't really my aim. I don't find academic stuff that interesting so learning things that I'll never apply doesn't really interest me
>>
File: 1278628049218.jpg (22 KB, 595x395) Image search: [Google]
1278628049218.jpg
22 KB, 595x395
>>29569207
I """""""""""drew""""""""" for maybe 10 years daily since school and despite reading up on as much theory and loomis as I could, my retarded hands could never "practice" out of being shit and seeing people like fuckley and dobson get constantly shit on for being stagnant and stubborn, while they could still shit out art better than me, made me finally throw in the towel. I'm not bitter at other artists, I absolutely love looking at art and asking people about their work, I just absolutely hate myself for wasting so much time on something I clearly can't hack. And I don't want to repeat that mistake and lose another chunk of my life being less than mediocre.

Sucks because I just feel the need to create something but don't want to settle on just being some shitty "idea guy."
>>
>>29568615

I picked up the Rubiks Cube a while back, just a useless hobby. I write cringy VN type story as well, but fellow autists like it so whatever. The cube thing came in handy a few times. Saw some dude trying to do one at a store, and I asked if I could see. I solved it in around a minute and just said "gotta go". He looked defeated. Probably the only alpha moment in my life.
>>
>>29569254

Most of the stuff I do is fun for me, but not in the immediate way video games are. Video games are too much of a supernormal stimulus; gratification is given too readily and in calculated bursts to encourage habituation. If you're using vidya as a measuring bar for all other things in life, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

And I don't think fun is the 'point' of living, but that's another topic.

>>29569344

Eh, I get what you mean. Most of the skills stuff I'm trying has immediate applications in my life, so I never really had the problem of having 'useless' skills.

Apart from practical skills, I noticed that the most fulfilled people in my life and throughout history spent most of their time engaging in stuff, barring exercise/sports stuff, that fit in one of the two categories:

>Increasing your own knowledge and understanding of the world (ex: academics, philosophy, books, etc.)
>Engaging in self expression (ex: art, creative pursuits, etc.)

Which is why I try to do stuff from both categories.
>>
>>29568615
Give instruments another try.
I started guitar like 7 years ago and all I could do for months was play Beetles riffs badly.

7 years later I still suck but I suck playing through the whole of Countdown to Extinction.

If you're dead against it try volunteering somewhere.
>>
>>29569532
You bring up a good point that a lot of people don't cover: that practice doesn't necessarily make perfect. I guess the better axiom is "practice makes permanent"; only conscious, directed practice has the potential to improve, otherwise you're just cementing bad habits. And even then, if you're just lacking in fundamental ability, you can only go so far. I didn't bring it up because I assumed most robots haven't thrown themselves that deep into something like you have.

If it's any consolation, there's plenty of creative fields that don't require the same technical ability as drawing. Graphic design, animation and the like are what come to mind with me.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I have the same barrier with MOBA video games. I had been playing them for years on end, but was consistently shit. All the hours of practice did for me was solidify my terribad gameplay.
>>
>>29569747
Thing is, the people that my experience seems to be closer to are faggots that literally give up and think you have to be 100% born with it and I don't want to believe that. I don't agree with that and seeing those quitters just piss me off for some reason, but my existence in a weird way validates at least a bit of their point and I know it.
>>
>>29569815
>literally give up at the first wall
My bad.
>>
>>29568615
OP my first question is do you have money? Are you NEET or can afforf ahit?
>>
>>29568615
You can do some cooking to complement your /fit/ lifestyle.
As for me I do some basic gymnastics on top of /fit/ training. I would be more accurate to say my /fit/ training is for the sake of my gymnastics.
>>
>>29568615
Well if you have money I'm older fag just now getting into it and I'm kicking myself I didnt find this 10 years ago, Kayak fishing senpai, its very fun a perfect solo thing to do easy to unload/load by your self and the peace and quiet while fishing is great you can go where other boats cant its perfect exercise and you can do anything you want with kayak trick it out
>>
File: image.jpg (269 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
269 KB, 1000x1333
Martial arts is a good one; it's a structured environment so you don't have worry about asburgering. Follow instructions. Simple. Fun. Easy.

I build Warhammer and terrain for it, I'm nothing good but it's fun and it means I have terrain to play with when I have my brother over to play.

Pic related
>>
File: fun is bad.jpg (443 KB, 1246x2156) Image search: [Google]
fun is bad.jpg
443 KB, 1246x2156
>>29569254
>fun
>video games
/v/ is aving a giggle m8
>>
>>29569815
I get how you'd feel like your experience proves them right in a way, but I'd say it's more of an exception than the norm. Plus, that viewpoint is based on a very limited perspective; they never saw the failures or hiccups from others, only their successes. Nobody advertises their failures.
>>
>>29569981
I work but most of my money goes on food/house so I can't really afford that much
>>29570027
Fair enough, desu I mostly cook simple shit or use a crock pot because most of the times I can't be bothered
>>29570050
Fishing sounds nice senpai, there's a river nearby and chilling in a boat by yourself is top /comfy/
>>29570053
There's a club at my local uni but I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to just sign up, martial art definitely interests me though. Cool pic btw senpai
>>
Language learning or learn to play a musical instrument.

Reading.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.