[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>being afraid of death How could you not be curious as to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 1450751990355.jpg (13 KB, 438x300) Image search: [Google]
1450751990355.jpg
13 KB, 438x300
>being afraid of death

How could you not be curious as to what happens after you die?
>>
>>29560961
I'm really not all that curious, I just want this fucking hellish life to be over with. I hope it's eternal darkness, then I can finally get some rest.
>>
>>29560961
>what happens after you die?
Same thing as before you were born.
>>
>>29560961
I'm more comforted in the hopes that it's the ending of existence for good and that I won't feel anything.
until I wake up again
>>
>>29560961
But you don't know what happens after you die, it could be anything.
so if you don't think people should be afriad of death then you think they shouldn't be afriad of anything.
>>
>>29560994
>Same thing as before you were born.
only atheists believe this meme
>>
>>29560994
How do you know this?

Zz4t
>>
>>29561061
Not actually true, some theists don't beleive in an afterlife.
>>
>>29561032
I'm up for anything as long as it isn't burning in fire for all of eternity. Personally, I hope it's reincarnation so I could be a 10/10 qtp2t and breeze through life.
>>
>>29561076
no relevant thiests do, sorry.
>>
>>29561061
You go to a magical place called "heaven" for completely inexplicable reasons where everything is wonderful forever.

You live in your brain. Once your brain's dead there's nothing left to happen.
>>
>>29561061
>only atheists believe this meme
*tips fedora*
>>29561062
>How do you know this?
Only thing that makes sense!
Consciousness has got to be a phenomenon caused by the brain's information processing activities.
Other explanations would be "magical".
The "you" is just the current configuration of your neurological network.
When the brain isn't formed yet, you don't exist yet. When the brain dies, you stop existing. No difference between the two. Apart that you will have changed a great deal during that time.
>>
>>29561126
I don't really know what you mean by this? A theist is just someone that beleives in a god, it doesn't mean you have to beleive that there is an afterlife that is different what you you experienced before you were born.
>>
>>29560961
i have this niggling suspicion that consciousness persists after death and desu i don't want to experience the afterlife

i did dmt 3 times and i'm pretty sure that's what happens when we die. the implications of there being an afterlife are enough to keep you awake until 3:54 AM
>>
>>29561187
Oh ok, so you just mean that it is what makes sense to you? That's fine then.
>>
I seriously am though. I look forward to death sometimes when I'm in a really good, confident mood. Because I really, really wanna know what's beyond. I think death and what's after would be to us like an altered state. We can't comprehend it now. Just like you can't comprehend how tripping on powerful hallucinogens feels until you try it. I think it's probably something like nirvana/moksha in the Eastern religions, a state of non-duality with God and the universe. I think Christianity and Islam screwed up their vision of the afterlife. When I read the Bible, especially stuff like Revelations, a lot of it sounds psychedelic to me. But when you see paintings of heaven it looks plain as fuck.
>>
>>29560961
becuase religion makes it seem horrible.

existence is a threat in itself. i didnt consent to be born in this universe.
>>
>>29561185
>>29561187
>this is what empiricists actually believe
>>29561220
The only relevant theists no not believe this nonsense.
>>29561238
>I think Christianity and Islam screwed up their vision of the afterlife
No? Stop shitposting about things you don't understand you stupid drug addict.
>>29561248
>becuase religion makes it seem horrible.
No it doesn't, don't lie online.
>>
>>29560961
bc i'd be dead
>>
>>29561278
if i had the power, id free everyone from hell and build an army to destroy that horrible dictator you call god.
>>
>>29561234
>what makes sense to you
I'm also nearly certain it is the objective reality.

I don't see how "spirits" could exist and be separated from the brain. I don't see how heaven and hell could exist. I think that when people die they're gone forever. It's not a pleasant thought (depressing actually), but I'm almost certain it is true.

There seems to be a lot of theists on r9k... I'm not trying to annoy you. I love the Christian values (mostly). If you truly believe in them and follow them then you're good people. But if you start caring too much about what happens after you or other people die, then you're being a bit crazy to me.
>>
>>29561278
>You do drugs, ergo your opinion is invalid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogen

This is the only reply from me you'll get because I'm not here to convince people of anything. If you don't agree that's fine.
>>
>>29561352
t. teenager that doesn't understand christianity
>>29561362
Empiricist fuck off.
>>
>>29560961
when you die, life cucks you and you end in cuckhell.
is like a cuckshed but more cucked
>>
>>29561278
>empiricists
Not sure I would call myself that. I guess "innate ideas" or thought patterns of some kind are possible. But there would be a biological explanation for those. Senses are important; if you don't gather input from your senses and process them, you'd go crazy. And you'd be ignorant. Not sure I would go as far as saying they are the "source of all knowledge". Doesn't seem like important distinctions to me. I guess those ideas were every important historically though...
>>
>>29561455
>Senses are important; if you don't gather input from your senses and process them, you'd go crazy. And you'd be ignorant
So you're empiricist filth.

Please leave.
>>
>>29561467
Well shit dude, what do you think would happen if you lock up a newborn in an isolation tank or something, for years?

Bad things. They'd come out feral. Or catatonic.
>>
>>29561507
>asking for an observation
>>
I'm both terrified and curious
>>
I'm not really afraid of death itself, I wouldn't care if a crazed gunman went on a shooting spree and shot me. I want to "experience" what happens as you die, final thoughts coming up, flashing memories of
your highest or lowest points in life, etc, and of course, what happens after death. If it weren't for a few close loved ones, I wouldn't be afraid at all.
>>
>>29561541
>asking for an observation
What? No don't do it anon.

Also reminds me of the stories of kings in the past that wanted to know what was the natural, innate language of man. They sent newborns away on desert islands with a mute maid. They wanted to know what language they would naturally speak without influence of other people.

I'm sure you know the answer?
>>
>>29561230
So how does it feel? Is it just a void or a maze of random thoughts and lights?
>>
>>29561230
>i have this niggling suspicion that consciousness persists after death
Yeah, after you die your consciousness persists outside of your brain, breaking some laws of the Universe in the process.
The same happened before you were born ... wait a second.
>>
>>29560961

>hurrr why are you afraid of not existing anons?

oh maybe because you wont fucking exist?
>>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/first-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study/
>>
>>29561874
And that's a bad thing? Life fucking sucks.
>>
>>29561955
maybe for a beta wagecuck like you, but I love life
>>
>>29561874
Are you doing everything you can to live your life to the fullest?

As normie as it sounds, you won't worry so much about death if you live your life.
>>
>>29561983
>being surprised people on r9k hate their lives
normie ignorance truly knows no bounds
>>
File: 1467011977482.png (37 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1467011977482.png
37 KB, 1600x1200
Death is simply the opposite of life.
It's the nothing.
>>
http://www.wired.com/2013/08/after-death-consciousness-rats/
>>
>>29561991

well yea when I am busy and out I dont think about it, but before sleep its hard not to. And when directly asked "why are you afraid to not exist" I think its a retarded question
>>
The fear of death largely comes from being robbed of familiar options. Literally every action ever available to you is now closed off. All the familiar comforting ones, and all the exciting strange ones you never took.

Dying is just inevitable and the after-life feels irrelevant. When it comes right down to our very final moments, we will still want more. Greed defines us.
>>
File: 1466819642504.jpg (102 KB, 500x539) Image search: [Google]
1466819642504.jpg
102 KB, 500x539
>>29560961
Not afraid of death. Afraid of the process of dying.
>>
Yes, I am afraid. Curiosity isn't a strong feeling of mine towards the matter, as I am resigned that whatever will happen to me in death WILL happen, and there is nothing I can do about it, therefore rendering curiosity pointless.
The few things that comfort me are the chance of seeing my dead loved ones again, and God possibly existing and delivering judgement unto me as a nonbeliever. I also hope that I will have heirs to leave my assets to.
That is what I look forward to. But if those two possibilities are not true, then I am very afraid of not having a continued existence as myself on Earth. It's only natural.
>>
I became obsessed with dying as a child only because I wanted know what happens after.

I attempted to convince my mom to let me die. I told her how shitty our current life is and how pointless our struggle is considering I'm her smartest kid (Only 4 of us at the time) and Id much rather see what happens in death than be a doctor and raise stupid kids of my own or continue living poor with her. I even asked her to come with me.

She beat the shit out of me
>>
I've been pretty close to death a few times. What will happen will happen.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.