[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's the job search going, 'bots?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13
File: 1416643893452.jpg (106 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1416643893452.jpg
106 KB, 480x360
How's the job search going, 'bots?
>>
>i'm 26 and it's summer break
>I'm less qualified to work than people fresh out of HS
>my mom has been throwing huge tantrums telling me she wants to die because I'm such a disappointment
>>
>have to apply for a certain amount of jobs to keep my neetbux
>keep getting "although your experience was impressive we have decided not to choose you"
>have literally no experience
>tfw they probably laugh or don't even bother reading the thing

If I don't somehow get handed a job through family or something I probably won't ever get one now. Might as well post wagecuck memes until it's time for the light to go out.
>>
>>29556975
>about to graduate college
>don't have any experience in the field i want to go into
>don't know where to start
>>
File: 1139118-unbreakable_24.jpg (15 KB, 400x171) Image search: [Google]
1139118-unbreakable_24.jpg
15 KB, 400x171
more than halg a year now
only one job called back but I wasn't home
my mom answered the phone but she took the number wrong so I lost my chance
I stoped trying for a month now I just can't take it anymore, every morning jumping into my email just to see that no one replied
>>
>move into singles apt $565 / month
>two minwage slave jobs at plaza next door
>only walk bicycle or bus everywhere
>tfw dead end 27 year old still going nowhere

fuck
the new manager is younger than me
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (203 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
203 KB, 1280x720
>>29556975
in navy DEP
Made it through meps
Contracted SO
Shipping in august to boot
If they find out about my childhood autism diagnosis before indoc im fucked, if not im good
>>
I have to get one soon, but I haven't put out any applications. Every time I've tried like an orthodox job search, looking online for postings and sending in my resume, I never get any luck.

I got my first job just by walking into my major's department office and saying I needed somewhere to work. I wanted them to find a professor looking for help or something, like some science-ey work I guess, but some lady came out and she shook my hand and said she'd hire me to work at the desk. I was too much of a pussy to specify the real job I wanted, so I just kept showing up to work there for like a year, hating every second of it. It wasn't too bad, but I wasn't ever really doing anything. I usually brought Kerbal Space Program on a USB stick and played it the whole time.
>>
File: Happy-Sad-Frog-25.jpg (70 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Sad-Frog-25.jpg
70 KB, 400x388
Got a job in a fairly high end restaurant, going in on Tuesday for a working interview.
Hopefully I don't break down and blow this one too.
>>
File: 1464236799596.jpg (68 KB, 427x309) Image search: [Google]
1464236799596.jpg
68 KB, 427x309
>finally get an email from one of the jobs I applied to
>I'm forwarding your information to our field management team with a recommendation to contact you to discuss potential opportunities

>it's been almost a month
>>
>>29557553
Look for jobs that read "ENTRY LEVEL" that usually means you don't need experience and they're looking for fresh college graduates, that's what I've been doing.

I get my degree next month and I've been sending out resumes for these entry level positions.
>>
File: 1447563987570.jpg (84 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1447563987570.jpg
84 KB, 960x960
>copy paste my emails
>attach my resume
>been doing that for 3 years without realising it
>been to interviews but no return calls
>36 yrs old living with parents

kill me now
>>
>>29557980
This has happened to me before as well, they say something that get's your hopes up and it sucks. I interviewed for two different jobs last Wednesday and still haven't heard anything back, granted it's only been like five days but still my parents think they should have called back by now if I got the job.

Anyway I'm gonna call one of them tomorrow and do a follow up call, just to see if the position was filled. It was between me and TWO other people, I had at least a 33% of getting the job, or 1 out o 3 chance. If they tell me the position was filled then that just means one of the other two applicants must have had better credentials/experience than me, one of them looked like a fat NEET crack addict so I can't believe they chose him over me.

At least I fucking dressed up and tried to act professional, he showed up in a fucking graphic t-shirt/shorts and sandals.
>>
>>29556975
In with a temp agency thats helping me get into an entry level CNC machining position. I studied it for 3 semesters but didnt finish the degree because my school is underfunded and shitty.
>>
File: nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif (85 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif
85 KB, 480x600
>just got out of high school
>dad keeps harassing me to get a job
>lay at home all day playing WoW and browsing 4chan
>I've become the meme I've laughed at for many years
>>
>>29558039
all the entry level jobs I looked at want 5-8 years experience
>>
File: 2wut.png (289 KB, 398x398) Image search: [Google]
2wut.png
289 KB, 398x398
>>29558171
>lay at home all day playing WoW
is this 2006?
>>
>>29556975
>Venezuela

It wouldn't matter since money is worth less than paper and food is worth more than gold.

Been hunting and reading survival books, planning on heading to merida where my family owns a plot of several acres of forest for when the civil war begins.
>>
>>29558171
I was you this time last year. Except replace WoW with weed. I got a part time job but really shit hasn't gotten any better. And it won't unless you're working a really good job full time, and or going to college/doing a trade, or getting ready for the military
>>
>>29558181
Wow....seriously? That isn't entry level than, entry level isn't suppose to require that amount of experience.

Weird
>>
>>29556975
>21 yo
>started my first job out of college last week
>it's okay

could be worse i guess. studied csci in college it was a fucking miracle i graduated. starting pay about 65k in midwest
>>
>>29558364
Any CS degree makes it simple to find work for the most part, lots of people at my job majored in CS and from what I've read there are lots of computer/IT jobs looking for CS graduates. The jobs also pay pretty well, 65k right out of college is pretty good in my opinion. Hell, I'd love to have a job paying me 65k a year.

I'm unemployed right now trying to find one right now, but my degree wasn't a CS degree. Sometimes depending on your degree it's easier to find a job right out of college, like CS degrees for instance.
>>
>>29558364
>>29558410
What kind of jobs / things do you even do with a Comp sic degree ?
>>
>>29558193
Nice. That's a good idea, I've been trying to prepare for the economic collapse too, just stockpiling food, but I wish I knew some off the grid living skills.
>>
I had a pretty decent high paying full time job, but, l fucked up and ended up getting fired. Now I'm an unemployed NEET living off his savings hoping and praying that I'll be able to find another job in the next month or so or else I'm fucked. I've been thinking of joining the military to mix things up a bit, but I need to get in shape before I can do that.
>>
>>29558410
>Hell, I'd love to have a job paying me 65k a year.
i was dumbfounded when i got the offer, my family is at or below the poverty line so i when i told my mom over the phone she cried. felt good tb.h that all my studying finally paid off. and yeah all my cs friends found work before graduating, some of the other engineering degrees aren't as popular but cs is still ripe.

>>29558434
i'm doing big data related stuff, but you can do anything from writing software to testing cybersecurity to managing networks to making an AI for a mars rover. basically all technological software related work is within reach if you have the CS fundamentals. most jobs consist of being at a computer all day though.
>>
>Working internship till July 29
>Unpaid

this sucks
>>
>>29558364
what kind of job do u do
>>
>>29558364
Just graduated with comp sci degree.
How'd you get your job?
>>
>>29558410
>>29558434
>>29558491

I wanted to start taking classes at a local CC and one of the only good degrees the offer is CS and a couple engineering. I heard CS is hard as shit though
>>
File: 1352770706017.png (419 KB, 802x802) Image search: [Google]
1352770706017.png
419 KB, 802x802
>graduated in May with my management information systems degree
>haven't applied for a job
>haven't even looked for a job

the idea of applying for jobs gives me anxiety. im not even sure what i should be looking for.
>>
>>29558583
>I heard CS is hard as shit though
It is hard lol. i practically have ptsd from studying this shit

worth it though imo
>>
>>29556975
Technical phone interview in a few days. Scared as shit.

Hopefully I have the chops. Took me almost a month to get one phone call :(
>>
One call back in months of applying only to not be selected. God damn big pharma just fucking hire me ffs I'm literally better than any half wit you'd otherwise pick for the job.
>>
>>29556975
I'm 25 and it's been 4 years since I've worked. Before that, I worked 3 years at Walmart. What are my chances of getting hired?
>>
>>29558088
What you mean 'copy paste emails without realizing it'
>>
>>29558755
Good if you can give job interviewer a valid reason why you've been out of work 4 years and don't aim too high (in terms of jobs you apply for)
>>
File: 1439353059335.jpg (51 KB, 381x394) Image search: [Google]
1439353059335.jpg
51 KB, 381x394
I've gotten 3 final interviews in the month since I graduated, but what I need is to get the fuck >>>/OUT/ of my city and move to New York.

Current plan is to sign up for DoorDash and its competitors since they couldn't give less of a shit where I live, rent a sleeping bag's worth of floor space in an attic in Queens, and just leave. I can job hunt more aggressively once I'm somewhere I actually want to live, and my savings plus delivery income should buy me enough time.
>>
>>29558491
what kind of big data stuff? what's your day to day like? I just graduated with a cs degree too but I've never worked in industry before
imposter syndrome and not even employed yet :/
>>
>>29558868
Is "I felt like playing video games, watching anime, and getting drunk for 4 years and now I'm broke." a valid reason. Because that's the truth.
>>
>>29558881
New York is shit man. Everything costs so much more than it would anywhere else.
>>
>>29558918
No. Haha. Lie and say you went to a 4 year school for something unrelated to the shitty retail job you're applying for. Must be something you can lie about easily. If you say you majored in math be good at math. Say you were studying to be a math teacher for instance but ran out of money for school and couldn't graduate. Or just move your walmart experience up to the present on your resume and use a fake reference for walmart- a smart friend's number...
>>
>>29559028
I like that last one, I'll do that.
>>
>>29558171
Dude if you've just finished highschool you have tons of time to get your life together.
>>
File: 1465830867649.jpg (88 KB, 680x586) Image search: [Google]
1465830867649.jpg
88 KB, 680x586
>>29556975
>30 years old
>finished art college 6 years ago
>been single and a stoner neet for about 4 years
>found punk stoner girl who enjoys snorting meth (she is 24)
>we dropped some acid on a hotel with pool on 6/6/16
>shit got real
>had sex for 2 days, swimmed too
>we're a couple now
>sex is great, she does anal
>she's got tattoos and is obviusly damaged but so I am
>gee, get a job anon!
>ok.png
>applied for shit job in call centre
>got job, start on next month
>have social anxiety
>she wants us to move to an appartment soon
Wew, that was really fast, now I don't have time to watch anime.
At least I'll have cash to buy Lego and weed.
Forgot to mention that I fucking hate phone calls and almost all customers are rude self entitled niggers.
>>
>>29558954

I was sold on it last time I went there, honestly. The prices are pretty bad but I'd rather be poor and live somewhere I can actually relate to people. Not to mention things like Central Park and functioning public transit.

Plus I've gotten into social dancing it's a good way to practice holding spaghetti and there's NO comparison between New York and anywhere else. The scene there is completely off the charts.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 640x469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 640x469
Not me but this happened a couple hours ago
>mom asks me to help her print out her resume at the FedEx place because she can't understand most tech shit
>drive there for like 20 minutes
>it's closed
>>
>>29556975
rejected from two....gonna have to apply to a fast food in the end.
>>
Started work right after 17th birthday, make 350 a week and half my day is just driving between sites, boss is looking to double my pay within the next two months. Stop being a bunch of lazy fucks
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.