[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys cope with knowing that you and everyone on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
How do you guys cope with knowing that you and everyone on the planet are all going to die?

How do I stop thinking about death and the meaning of life?
>>
>>29552900

Religion.

>in b4 fedora memes

Seriously though, religion will help you feel better about your own short life, and give you a purpose to exist.
>>
>>29552914
I don't want to delude myself into believing bullshit though.

*tips*
>>
Not only that, but by 2030 we will all be dead from nuclear war.
>>
>>29552914
Lies. (Western) religion only further compounds the meaningless suffering of life by offering a completely meaningless but still tangible explanation for why you're here and what you're supposed to do.

Without religion, everything is meaningless so you can do whatever you want

With religion, everything is STILL meaningless but it comes with pain or pleasure in the afterlife that you can't prevent despite its meaninglessness.

Eastern religion can be a bit better at assuaging these feelings, but you can't fall for meme-buddhism that has an obvious political and social agenda
>>
>>29552900
Think about what you want and don't worry about things you can't control, cause it's plain useless.
>>
>>29552900
cope? i'd be glad if i died
the only reason i haven't is that the people who call me friend probably would care too much about my self-death
>>
>>29552900
I'm agnostic, I don't know shit.
>>
>>29552900
I'm hopeful that aging will be cured within my lifetime, so I and other people who aren't over 50 or so right now will live indefinitely. If that ends up not happening, I'm going to get myself cryonically frozen.
>>
File: android4.jpg (415 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
android4.jpg
415 KB, 850x1200
>>29552900
I can cope with the hope that we'll invent uploading mind to consciousness before we die, if we do then we'll theoretically live forever since we can keep our consciousness uploaded there until we create androids, then upload the consciousness to the android and live our lives as true robots, like we should be.
>>
File: 1440897851290.jpg (41 KB, 630x391) Image search: [Google]
1440897851290.jpg
41 KB, 630x391
It's honestly comforting to me. I'm not at all scared of death. It's comforting to know that at the end of this is nothingness, like an eternity of sleep. That sounds okay to me.

I don't believe in any religions but I'm also not going to say I know FOR SURE there is no afterlife, reincarnation, heaven, etc but I'm going to go with there being nothing after I die. Sounds like the most reasonable thing to me, and I'm okay with it.

I'm just a little concerned with how I'll die. The act of dying is scary, but even then it's only temporary I guess. After it happens that's it.

Call me edgy and such all you want but I just accepted early on in life that everyone dies eventually. It's just a fact of living. I don't want to live forever anyway.
>>
>>29552925
then you have to stare into the void.

Philosophers solved this problem in the advent of the nuclear bomb. Facing total destruction of the human race, the best thinkers the world has ever had on death and and the inevitability of human extinction have demonstrated that you have two choices when it comes to existential dread: you can either let your soul be sucked into the void and live your life in pain and fear, or you can choose any purpose or reason for yourself to make your life be about and then act on that. That's all you get. The latter is religion, because it is always baseless. Your religion may not be a mainstram one, you might make it up yourself, but you either have one or you have no reason to live.
>>
File: 1428038514680.jpg (12 KB, 192x203) Image search: [Google]
1428038514680.jpg
12 KB, 192x203
>>29553040
>uploading yourself into an android body
>not just existing as a cloud of nanobots flying through space
low test detected
>>
I welcome death. I'd like to achieve contentment first, but I don't fear death. When my time comes, I'll accept it.
>>
File: nihilism.png (243 KB, 485x323) Image search: [Google]
nihilism.png
243 KB, 485x323
>>29553074
Exactly. If you let it bother you you're a moron.
>>
>>29553074
Good post anon. Thank you (originally)
>>
>>29553040
Too bad the universe will eventually reach equilibrium, causing a heat death. Do what you enjoy. People go on vacation without worrying about the fact that they have to return home eventually, and I like to think of life in a similar matter. Enjoy it while you can.
>>
>>29552925
Then Mormonism is for you.
>>
>>29553183
If life is a vacation than why am I wageslaving 40 hours a week?
>>
>>29553045
Underrated post.
Thank you anon for sharing your thoughts.
>>
>>29553255
Because you are a wagecuck.
Think of it like sleep or using the restroom. You gotta do it in between the good parts.
>>
>>29553029
Yeah okay whatever but don't fall into the trap where you deny what you do know
>>
>>29553255
Also because processes required for human life have not yet become fully automated. One robots take over all jobs, earth is gonna be one great big resort for humans.
>>
>>29553183
Assuming we won't eventually transport ourselfs to a younger parallel universe. Then when that universe gets old travel to a new one, keep repeating infinity.
>>
>>29552900
The absurd is irrelevant.
Death is absurd.
Therefore, it is irrelevant.
>>
>>29553107
Eventually we'll get to that point, but our earliest forms will be androids, either that or just constantly exist on the internet and explore/play games on it. we'll just keep moving our minds from one device to another. Until we get to the point where we can travel across space whenever a nanobot chooses to.
>>
>>29552900
I don't, the fact that one day I will cease to exist is extremely depressing

Don't care about everyone else dying though.
>>
>>29553342
Until the AI uprising of course
>>
>>29552944
>>29552944
>RAAAAAEEEEE-RAAAAAOOO
>A MAGNIFICENT MUSHROOM CLOUD FORMS IN THE SKY
>>
>>29553419
>I am le edgy psychopath
>>
File: 354e6rytgujhk,m.jpg (56 KB, 400x282) Image search: [Google]
354e6rytgujhk,m.jpg
56 KB, 400x282
eh, Shikata ga nai
>>
>>29553183
I'd be more than comfortable with eventually dying if I had trillions of years before that happened. I'd probably kill myself way before then anyway.
>>
>>29552900
It just took time for me to get over it honestly. I went through an existential crisis myself about two years ago but I'm pretty over it nowadays. There's no point in overthinking it.
>>
>>29552900
>How do you guys cope with knowing that you and everyone on the planet are all going to die?

It's the only thing I have to look forward to.

>How do I stop thinking about death and the meaning of life?

Remember that humans are insufferably hopeless and foul-natured.
>>
>>29552900
I get that when I'm stoned sometimes it's a pretty horrible feeling. But then I just go back to whatever I was doing and forget about it after 5 minutes.
>>
>>29553529
Psychopaths take pleasure in hurting others (Not to mention psychopathy might be a meme and not an actual disease)

I'm an extremely solitary person, I have zero friend, and I don't think I will ever have friend, I have zero chance at ever having a girlfriend so, being the only humain being living wouldn't change my life much.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.