[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> you die so there's no point in doing anything how do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1424490579489.jpg (90 KB, 572x640) Image search: [Google]
1424490579489.jpg
90 KB, 572x640
> you die so there's no point in doing anything
how do you get past this tho?
>>
Kanye West - I Am A God
>>
>>29541219
>implying having a conclusion has any meaning whatsoever
>>
>>29541219
Do you not enjoy doing anything?
>>
"The ends don't justify the means. The means don't justify the ends. There is no one to justify to. There is no justification."
>>
>>29541219
>how do you get past this tho?
science/artificial intelligence = resurrection/immortality
>>
There's no point in not doing anything either
>>
Fapping can help with the feeling but overcoming the reality is more difficult.
>>
I turn a blind eye to it, I'm not sure how else to deal with it, much less get past it.
>>
>>29542106
I used to have a hypothesis that the universe is simply a visual representation of a string of numbers that exists somewhere in infinity

somewhere in those infinite numbers exists the code for any experience that could possibly had, including every heaven or every hell you could possibly imagine for yourself

but then my friend told me numbers aren't real so I stopped telling people about that
>>
Im planing to meditate all day,my max for now i 2 hours at day but i feel i can push really really far,that is my way of showing middle finger to society and life,and plus i feel benifits witch is nice,illnes and dying wont cause suffering in me
>>
>>29542190
"Math is the language of God"

Don't stop believing Anon
>>
>>29542190
*tips in your general direction*
highly oprgiianle comentatdor
>>
File: 1465846742311.gif (171 KB, 534x534) Image search: [Google]
1465846742311.gif
171 KB, 534x534
>>29541219
JESUS is waiting for you.
He wants your semen for the afterlife.
>>
>>29541219
It's about lifetime, not afterlife. So the point is being happy during this "trip".
>>
>>29541219

THANK YOU.

FUCK.

The nice thing about this is understanding that in the long view, nobody really gets ahead of anybody else. Not individuals, anyway, which are all that really matter in this discourse. However, there is an important caveat indicated below.

>>29542106

It has happened, over the course of history, that a single human being has died, never to live again. Irreversible. Much less (more?), the human death rate has thus far held steady at 100.000%.

Why, then, should a single human being deserve to escape? If ever there was a time when the crab deserved to be pulled back into the bucket, it is here. If ever there will be an industry which deserves to be exploded, then it will be the human immortality industry.
>>
>>29542580
>Why, then, should a single human being deserve to escape?
Because dieing is painful, maybe eternally painful as experience and takes all possibilities of pleasure and happiness, etc...
Why should we just be like the others? Just because they have not have X we should not have X? Why?
>>
>>29541219
>enjoy not doing something
>enjoy doing something
Do on of these. It is that simple.
>>
File: 1442465837835.jpg (25 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
1442465837835.jpg
25 KB, 670x503
>>29541219
Find out how to escape death
>>
>>29542580
>human death rate is at 100%

Me being alive right now proves this to be false. I could live forever for all you know
>>
The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker is a good book about this phenomenon

He doesn't offer any solutions (it's not a gay self help book), it's just him talking about his theory that literally everything humans have done and created is about distracting ourselves from the knowledge that we will die.
>>
>>29542771
I should add he's not some quack nobody btw, the book won a pulitzer prize
>>
>>29541219
just wait for it few decades anon, immortality ensured
>>
What is consciousness though, really?
>>
>>29542956
Literally no one knows, anyone who says otherwise is lying or quoting religious dogma. It's one of the biggest unsolved problems in science and philosophy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness
>>
File: CbLpJGwWcAMGtMg.jpg (68 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
CbLpJGwWcAMGtMg.jpg
68 KB, 600x452
>>29541219
The firmament makes me question my nihilism everyday. Is there a God? We're we created for a reason? I don't know, but I do know that the firmament is here and it likely had to be designed by someone.
>>
>>29542981
Doesn't this article defines "consciousness" in its first lines:
Phenomenal experience or qualias?
>>
tfw constant fear of dying

every time I try to feel good or enjoy something I just remember that eventually everything I enjoy will be considered old in a few centuries. Even just lying down and feeling my own arms and body isn't enjoyable because I just remember that eventually I won't be able to feel those sensations anymore because I won't exist

how do I not feel like this
>>
I can't die, it's impossible!
>>
I decide what has a point and what doesn't. Checkmate nihilists.
>>
>>29541219
>> you die so there's no point in doing anything

i try to tell myself this when i get anxious. "nothing matters, theres nothing to worry about". it doesnt work.
>>
>>29543025
Giving something a definition isn't the same thing as explaining what causes it or what its nature is.
>>
>>29543047
>What causes it?
Chance. The same as the universe or everything.
>What its nature?
Subjective? The five senses? Can you be more precise?
>>
>>29543093
You're not smarter than all the neuroscientists and philosophers in the world, anon. If this problem could be solved with word games it would have been, centuries ago.
>>
>>29543028
you wont care when you stop existing
>>
>>29543144
but i care now, so that doesn't really help...
>>
>>29543127
What's the problem with my answer aside from your authority argument?
I am not understanding what such a big deal is this "consciousness problem"?
What's the difference between being conscious about something and perceiving/imagining this something? I personally don't see a difference. For me, all reality is fundamentally subjective and can be reduced to our perception/imagination, that is the five senses and thought.
>>
put a herculean effort towards becoming biologically immortal

founding a biotech corporation might be a start
>>
>>29543204
Alphabet is already doing that, maybe you should work there.
>>
>>29543222
Any info on this? Anything would be helpful
>>
>>29541219
You're not dead yet, now are you?
>>
>>29543259
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_(company)
>>
>>29541219
You make something that will outlast you. For most people this means children. Make your own choice, though. Seize your destiny.
>>
>>29543295
Thank you

My thanks aren't enough for the robot apparently so here's another one
>>
>>29543316
Having children is retarded unless you're rich and have access to embryonic gene engineering.
>>
>>29543046
You're doing it wrong. All stimuli is fundamentally transient. The worst something can do is kill you, which is bound to happen anyways. Besides, suicide is literally always an option.
>>
It's not the end but the journey that matters. Even though it is all just biology and brain chemicals in the end, I still can't escape the fact that certain things feel nice and not doing anything/unpleasant things doesn't feel nice.
>>
You don't. It's the beginning of the loss of desire. No need to worry about getting a job, friends, wife, children, nice house, hobbies or really anything because you're going to die someday, all that stuff just brings more suffering into the world all because of your selfish desires.

This is how a man beats the fear of death, by understanding he will die and accepting he will die.

If you remember that you will die you will always do the right thing.
>>
>>29543316
Out of all the shitty generic normalfag things to say, this is the worst one. Might as well have said "Just be yourself. xD"
>>
>>29543204
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_(company)

Well that seems to work unless we later find out that the universe is destined to explode and our biological immortality doesn't mean shit

In which case we would just delay our inevitable extinction that makes our past actions pointless.
>>
>>29542580
>Why, then, should a single human being deserve to escape? If ever there was a time when the crab deserved to be pulled back into the bucket, it is here. If ever there will be an industry which deserves to be exploded, then it will be the human immortality industry.
It's a learning process for all of humanity. It won't be only given to a select few, but for everyone.

People will come to realize that being a naturalist who believes science is the devil does nothing but cause harm and suffering.
>>
>>29542214
this is the only "answer" iv come to. seems no matter what you do, our minds desires and reality are completely opposed so the only way is to shut the mind off
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.