[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else afraid of dying? Eternity is a long fucking time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 18
File: 1466129784966.png (55 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
1466129784966.png
55 KB, 436x425
Anyone else afraid of dying? Eternity is a long fucking time.
>>
File: 1466885048183.jpg (33 KB, 360x296) Image search: [Google]
1466885048183.jpg
33 KB, 360x296
>>29540137
>sad because you're wasting a limited amount of your time doing nothing
>living forever would probably be hell eventually

>regardless of how you look at it the future is terrifying
This sucks man
>>
Well if you don't die you will be alive for "an eternity" right?
>>
>>29540137
The only alternative to dying is living forever. And that sounds terrifying. Wish I could live a bit longer but its better than immortality
>>
It's not so much being dead I fear, it's more the pain of dying. I have a very simplistic prediction for what happens after you die, I believe you return to the same nonexistence that was present before you were born only eternally. I'd love to believe in an afterlife, reincarnation even. I haven't ruled them out and I don't think I'll ever be able to but I'm far from belief.
>>
>>29540137
Think about it this way:
You already didn't exist at one point. It wasn't so bad, right?
You won't exist again one day. And it won't be so bad.

The pain of death is what scares me, not nonexistence. Been there done that
>>
>>29540137
I've accepted it as a reality, infact the most horrific death would be if I die without actually accomplising any of my goals
>>
File: 1459981860657.gif (392 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
1459981860657.gif
392 KB, 600x396
>>29540495
>You already didn't exist at one point. It wasn't so bad, right?
yeah but that's knowing i would eventually be born

after i die i while NEVER exist again, for all of eternity
>>
>tfw you have so many things you want to get done before you die
>tfw you know you won't
>>
>>29540539
you can classify them into 2 types:
1) goals that end
(burning your house, killing a horse, etc)
2) lifelong goals
(having as much sex with young czech whores as possible, etc)

Then you can work on the achievable goals which have a deadline more objectively
>>
File: sdfhbtnkyb.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
sdfhbtnkyb.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>29540137
I'm afraid to die without ever having a gf ;_;
>>
File: 1462311140293.png (2 MB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1462311140293.png
2 MB, 919x720
me actually doing doesn't really scare me, it's more of what the hell happens WHEN you die.
are you still conscious? can you 'perceive' the eternity that is death? do you still feel pain after you die?
guess im more afraid of not existing rather then dying.
a afterlife would be nice.
>>
File: triggered.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>tfw you'll never be an eternal being and watch the universe die around you and be stuck in total darkness and see the universe be reborn
>>
>>29540740
one of my friends was resuscitated once and he said that being essentially dead in that time was just complete nothingness
>>
>>29540137
This life is a blink of an eye compared to the time we have in God's house.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 124x124) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 124x124
>>29540740
>what if hell is real and I'm going there
This shit used to keep me up as a kid. Hell, it still worries me now
>>
>>29540525
You knew you would be born before you existed? As in, you conciously thought "I will exist one day" in the midst of your pre-existence?

You don't even know when eternity started. The beginning of the universe wasn't nearly the beginning of eternity. The concept of "before" and "after" mean virtually nothing.
You've already spent eternity not existing.
You'll continue to spend eternity not existing. It's not a bad thing.

In the mean time, create meaning in your life. Do what makes you happy. Enjoy the ride.
>>
>>29540843
Do you really think we get a free pass after all the fucked up shit we do in this life?
>>
>>29540792
I wish I could believe this but I can't

I really want atheism not to be true, I've read the bible, cs lewis, pascal etc. trying to believe, gotten down on my knees and prayed for faith...got nothing.
>>
dead is dead you fucking retards
there is no coming back/second chance/afterlife
this is 100% objective truth
>>
>>29540781

I'd be fine with that.

It would be awesome if there was an afterlife, but atleast I wouldn't be going to hell for eternal torture.

It's probably like going into eternal dreamless sleep. Who knows, you might even wake up at some point.
>>
My heart stopped for slightly over 2 minutes in the ICU after a suicide attempt in 2013, I didn't have any kind of afterlife experience. no memory of any feeling, just nothing.
>>
File: 1446085921296s.jpg (8 KB, 241x228) Image search: [Google]
1446085921296s.jpg
8 KB, 241x228
>There is at least some possibility of an afterlife

Fucfuckfuckfuckfuck
>>
>>29540946
Isn't that the purgatory?
>>
>>29540951
giant fucking huge leap between possibility and plausibility
>>
File: 1465265113675.jpg (65 KB, 640x596) Image search: [Google]
1465265113675.jpg
65 KB, 640x596
>>29540843
hell actually existing would fucking suck. none of us can really comprehend the concept of eternity, and a eternity filled with 24/7 suffering is fucking awful.
that said, i just hope there is SOMETHING beyond death. eternal sleep, heaven, wandering around a ghoste, whatever variation of afterlife there is, just not hell, or any other realm of torment. fuck that.

>>29540889
idk, mayne. it kinda depends on what perceived as fucked up and not fucked up, and how severe you see the fucked up things. we can pretty much all agree that we did some fucked up things in our life, but enduring a literal infinite torment for 'bad' things you did in a limited lifetime seems pretty gay.
>>
>>29540956
I dunno. Just saying what happened to me

It was like the time after you fall asleep but before you start to dream, true unconsciousness, no passage of time, you just skip over it
>>
File: image.png (521 KB, 800x559) Image search: [Google]
image.png
521 KB, 800x559
>>29540137
>bought a motorcycle recently
>out on the freeway yesterday for the first time
>going 80-85mph into a turn
>all of a sudden the turn gets sharper
>have to lean into it while the wind pushes me around on the freeway
>literally scream because I thought I'd fucked up and it felt like the bike was going to slip out from under me
>live like normal human bean
>wake up and go hiking today/get drunk off good beers

Scariest shit ever lads. I've never been so certain I was going to fuck myself up as I was yesterday. That said I feel like a new man today and less afraid to die than yesterday.

I really almost did fuck my shit up though.
>>
No but i'm afraid of becoming crazy to the point of having panic attacks.

I don't know how to break that circle.
>>
>>29540971
All it takes is a possibility for it to be an unbelievably terrifying thought.
>>
anyone else daydream about jumping in front of a bullet to save someone or try to stop a gunman?

It's like the morally okay way to get yourself shrekt
>>
How can I die when I have never lived?
>>
>tfw you have a dream of where you die
>wake up right as you die
>that moment of "what the fuck am I feeling"
>>
File: kid elliot.jpg (14 KB, 330x230) Image search: [Google]
kid elliot.jpg
14 KB, 330x230
>>29541075
OH WEW THAT WAS SAD :/
>>
>>29540137
living forever is painful and i don't want it
dying forever is painful and i don't want it
an afterlife is painful and i don't want it

reincarnation might be alright as long as i get to keep my memories, the thought of losing something that can never be brought back is terrifying, the thought that i am nothing but an ant that will be stepped on and forgotten in the dirt makes me wish my parents never fucked
>>
Don't be so sure life just ends with an eternity of nothing. There is really no way to know, and we don't really know how the universe began.

However, if there is a god, the reality of the world inclines me to believe he's just fucking around. Maybe this isn't even the first universe to exist, and he just creates worlds like ours to watch them experience life and then eventually die out. And then he just moves on to another one.
>>
Human life feels permanent. I'd like to believe a "soul" can't be destroyed, and we've all been reincarnated several times.
>>
>>29540889
Nobody deserves torture for eternity
>>
>>29541273
The god of the bible had entire civilizations genocided because they refused to worship him. Even the animals.

He once flooded the entire earth because nobody was good enough for him.

He clearly has an inhuman sense of justice, which is kinda bushit because we were apparently made in his image.
>>
File: 1466324310114.jpg (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1466324310114.jpg
27 KB, 200x200
>>29540137
No worries, you'll just be reborn f.am
>>
File: 1461210527100.png (318 KB, 479x600) Image search: [Google]
1461210527100.png
318 KB, 479x600
>mfw you realize everyone is you

I thought the sweet release of death would eventually come but this is a new kind of living.
>>
>>29541376
is this about that badly written andy weir story
>>
>>29541329
The "god of the bible" doesn't exist. There's probably a higher form of existence out there but not the way the bible describes it.

The bible is a tool that was used to control, always was, always will. And even if a semblant of truth was featured in it, it was probably "corrected" centuries after centuries. You will never read the "true" bible and you will never know the truth. What's important is sticking to your principles and calling it a day.
>>
>>29541400
Nah I thought that was quite stupid desu
>>
>tfw people live by some crap written 2000years ago
>ITS FAITH HURR
>ok but pls don't expect me to believe your crap
>YOU MUST CUS THE BOOK SAYS SO OR I'LL KILL YOU

wew lad
>>
>>29540137
I don't think death is scary, it's just nothing. However dying sure is scary if it's outside your control. Suicide sure but imagine hearing you only have a year left to live. I would probably go crazy.

And it's a shame to not be able to experience all the cool shit the future holds.

Also, on a more grand scale I fear how humanity as a whole will die in the heat death of the universe. Normally people rationalize away death by saying they've left something behind. But the heat death nullifies all of that. Literally nothing I do now matters a googol years from now and time as far as we know is final.
>>
>>29540889
Probably not, but the thought of another "dimension" composed of pure suffering for the end of times seems kinda "childish" to me. I don't know. I mean that's a very black and white concept, very simple, too simple, and nothing works like that in nature and in the universe, everything is more complex.
>>
>>29541443
Only muslims do that kind of shit with regularity in 2016 though, hence why we should avoid them like the plague.
>>
>>29540781
Have you ever had surgery? Then you know what death is like. You don't actually have to die.
>>
>>29540781
Yeah and other people will say other things, like the famous tunnel of light. I mean what you said doesn't mean jack shit.
>>
File: 1465159227338.gif (2 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1465159227338.gif
2 MB, 360x360
You know those nights when you sleep but don't have a dream?

You're nothing but a lump of meat piloting a skeleton. We are all mecha pilots.
>>
I don't want to die, losing all control is terrible.
I took LSD and was convinced that I was dead/having a seizure and dying.
Sometimes I think I did die
>>
>>29541443
More liek

>If you don't believe then god will send you to eternal torture.

Literally every christian I know is just a normal person with a shitty, castrated kife they somehow learned to accept. Through fear I assume, because I've asked a lot of them what oroginual made them want to become christians and it was just being horrified at the idea of going to hell. That or they fucked up in life and had nowhere else to turn, so they love their religion for "saving them".
>>
>>29541525
>You know those nights when you sleep but don't have a dream?
I have a dream every night though.
>>
File: hey bro.jpg (262 KB, 864x1152) Image search: [Google]
hey bro.jpg
262 KB, 864x1152
>>29541525
or is the skeleton piloting you?
>>
>>29541534
Kife = life

Oroginal = Originally
>>
>>29541525
Your brain still functions during sleep you dumb fucking retard. Sleep as nothing in common with death.
>>
>>29541534
Man if i was god i would be pissed. Praising something or someone because you're afraid of something happening to YOU is the most egocentric shit i can think of.
>>
>>29541549
Shit nigga fuck alligators and also crocs.
The shoes and the animal.

Also after death you see your RL Score and your exp is added up. You get reincarnated if you earned enough points to get an extra life.
>>
>>29541525

Not actually possible; you are having some sort of dream whenever you aren't conscious. In fact more likely than not you're having all sorts of dreams but are just forgetting them because you have poor memory retention. Every vaguely remember some kind of dream right when you begin to wake, only to completely forget about it minutes later?
>>
>>29541531
Your ego probably died, known as ego death. Its great, you realize a lot of culture conditioning is balony
>>
>>29541604
What are the symptoms of ego death ? Because i feel i experienced them quite heavily not so long ago.
>>
I used to be, I welcome it now. The question is whether I'll ever have the balls to kill myself. I'm tired, drained even. Filled with self-hatred and it seems like I'm getting taunted as a reminder of my fuck ups so that I can't just get over them and not care. Death seems like a sweet release.
>>
>>29541590
fuq u man alligators are cute

how many exp points do you need in order to earn a pocket realm where you can live out any life you want in any setting (your favorite anime or some shit like that) while retaining all of your memories
>>
>>29541628
I dunno you can pm the admin but I heard he almost never answers
>>
>>29541627
Death won't be a self-release if the said death comes by your own hand. Keep that in mind. There's no easy escape.

Suffer through suffering then you will see the light.
>>
>>29541628
>while retaining all of your memories

Impossible. It would drive you crazy. You will lose your sanity in an infinity of possibilities, dimensions and paradoxs. Be happy you don't remember anything.
>>
god should retire and make me god

ps just joking pls no smite
>>
Religion and spirituality denies any value to death, but places a lot of value in life, which makes no sense. Death is what gives life its value. Life, like any cherished thing, is only valuable because of its finiteness. Deep down, we all recognize this. It's why we bother mourning the dead in the first place. What point is there to mourning the loss of what is actually eternal?
>>
>>29541685
True. But what point are you trying to make.
>>
>>29541685
If you really believe in some religions there is more value in death (i.e. afterlife) than in life.
>>
>>29541685
I think life is valuable because we're afraid of the unknown, not just because it will end. In other words life is valuable because deep down nobody knows what happens next.
>>
File: 1413312171846.jpg (213 KB, 887x900) Image search: [Google]
1413312171846.jpg
213 KB, 887x900
I recently had to go under a very brief (15 minute) general anesthesia. I remember the doctor injecting the anesthetic through the IV line. In about 5 seconds I felt very drowsy and closed my eyes. Then I waited with my eyes closed for the drug to kick in. After waiting for maybe 10 seconds I began to wonder why it was taking so long, so I opened my eyes to tell the doctor that I was still awake and he had to use more anesthetic. But when I opened my eyes there was no one next to my bed and the clock on the opposite side of the room had suddenly advanced 15 minutes.

The interesting thing is that instead of 15 minutes, it could just as well have been 15 years - or a million years. You don't feel any passage of time nor do you notice the cessation of your consciousness. It's impossible for me to tell whether most of that time I was lying with my eyes closed was before I was knocked out or after, because there was no way to notice that actual moment of becoming unconscious. As far as I knew, I had totally continuous consciousness throughout the whole experience, yet there was a 15 minute gap in there that I had no way of knowing about.

You could say I experienced death in those 15 minutes, death of the self that is. If that's what comes after your body dies, it doesn't seem so bad.
>>
>>29541654
If my consciousness fades as a result of dying, that's enough of a sweet release. What comes after death could be worse, but it could also just end there. If I reincarnated, no matter the life I'd be given I would escape this torment. As a human child, it'd take me several years to truly pay attention to what goes around me, far more to gain an understanding of the world. With the chance of being born anywhere, even somewhere I'd immediately die right after being born. As far as I see it, the only way I would not escape through death is if Hell forced me to watch every single day.

One possible outcome as a result of dying, even by my own hand. It seems a lot sweeter than having to suffer through all of this. Hating myself, being reminded why I hate myself, being taunted just by circumstance. If this is a punishment, surely dying would suffice as a punishment, too. I harmed only myself, so I would not need to answer to having harmed another person when judged. Just myself and the act of suicide. For harming myself, am I not the suitable judge?

There is nothing to be gained from suffering through this, anon. I just don't have the balls to kill myself.
>>
I look forward to death because when you are dead you cannot feel pain. Death solves all problems.
>>
>>29541704
You're right, my point wasn't exactly clear. I guess what I'm trying to say is that death shouldn't be feared, but respected and accepted as an inevitably.

>>29541719
Afterlife is still a form life. One that's meant to be eternal, too.

>>29541735
Good point. But I still think people think of death as the end, and the most likely of possibilities more than anything else, because otherwise people wouldn't be so afraid of it.
>>
>>29541773
>no matter the life I'd be given I would escape this torment

Really ? There's no certitude. You could reincarnate in someone with a genetic disease that would be painful beyond anything you experienced before, for all you know.

Don't throw dices at the unknown.
>>
>>29541852
Then let that be a punishment for my decision to commit suicide. It's not one I would reject being given as a punishment for wishing to escape this life.
>>
I belive in reincarnation,because if our consciousness is result of structure of our brain,that structure can again appear
>>
>>29541870
It's stupid but whatever fuels your boat mate. Keep in mind that there's always something more painful that what you actually experience.
>>
>>29541852
Is there any proof of this?. I think having children is unethical because it creates the possibility of them getting injured or sick.
>>
>>29541880
I've got news for you. Your birth was a perfect storm, something so unlikely that you, I and anyone else, specifically, shouldn't even exist. The odds of this ever happening again are even slimmer. This paired with the inevitability of maximum entropy guarantees that you're not coming back, ever. Enjoy it while it lasts.
>>
File: David_Icke_by_Stef_(cropped).jpg (244 KB, 716x622) Image search: [Google]
David_Icke_by_Stef_(cropped).jpg
244 KB, 716x622
>>29540889
Yes, the unconditional love of The Universe never wavered
>>
>>29540137
>implying the ride ends with death

Your suffering is only just beginning
>>
>>29541931
Can you explain,how its not possible,what if multiverse exists or what if this universe is reborn all over again
>>
>>29540397
Bullshit. You don't want to live forever in the current world, but if the world was made perfect you would want to.
>>
>>29540137
>implying reincarnation isn't real

Energy never dies.
>>
>>29541931
>the inevitability of maximum entropy guarantees that you're not coming back
>implying humans won't stop that from happening with advanced science and technology in the future
inb4 you try to convince me that all humans are weak and always will be because you feel weak
>>
>>29542116
This universe won't be born again because thermodynamics doesn't allow for it. And, even if the multiverse exists, you must think of all of the "you"s that exist simultaneously, which you do not experience.

>>29542149
We can't break the laws of physics mate. Or, if we somehow can, please explain how in a method that isn't pure speculation.

>>29542136
see
>>29541931
>>
File: fdh.jpg (87 KB, 772x397) Image search: [Google]
fdh.jpg
87 KB, 772x397
>>29540137

>where we're going, we won't need eyes to see

>tfw it's going to be like this
>>
It's all an illusion anyway, you were never alive to begin with

Once you die and your memory has gone it would be as if you had never existed in the first place
>>
>>29542191
>Or, if we somehow can, please explain how in a method that isn't pure speculation.
Don't you think if the exact method was known, people would be working on it already?

Why do you think people want artificial intelligence and technology to increase IQ?
>>
>>29542305
Of course if the method was known we'd be working on it. The thing is though, you don't see anyone reputable working on working on it, because it's an exercise in futility.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.