[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existentialism General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: rust cohle.png (1 MB, 1280x804) Image search: [Google]
rust cohle.png
1 MB, 1280x804
So, robots--why are you the way you are, instead of being Byronic Heroes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byronic_hero

Pic very related.
>>
Too cliche. Even the anti-hero is a trope. Nonconformity is genetic. In nonconformity we follow our instinctual desire to be different.

I like the idea I just think originality ran out shortly after language became a thing.
>>
Because it comes off as fedora, and people think you're repulsive unless you're attractive
>>
File: 1456804066130.jpg (68 KB, 636x781) Image search: [Google]
1456804066130.jpg
68 KB, 636x781
>>29515836
>I'll be authentic by idealizing another person and mimicking their behavior!
ok
>>
No convictions
Not decisive enough
Too weak
>>
>>29515922
Hit the nail on the head. The Byronic hero is like an archetype. There will always be one in any situation. Kind of like how any classroom spawns its own class clown. There is always at least one. If no one is funny, someone will step up to fill that role.

Some people are naturally individualistic, jaded, intellectual, broad-minded, and other things that go with Byronic heroes. That is all fine. But if you have to actively shape your personality in order to conform to that role, you have already defeated the purpose. One does not 'become' this trope.
>>
>>29515922
This is OP. I'm talking about the fact that a lot of people who post on this board talk cynically, act proudly, but can't seem to do so where there's no anonymity.

If pride and arrogance are like a social currency, it seems like most of the people on this board are bankrupt when they shouldn't be.

Why?
>>
>>29515836
How come everyone calls you a fedora when you start to mention any kind intellectual topic?

How come when I start rambling how nothing matters and there is no intrinsic value to anything the psych calls me crazy?
>>
>>29516079
Because you're rambling.
And you have a depression, like every other person has at some point in their life. You're not special. You haven't figured life out.
>>
>>29516079
I always assumed it was because it's deeply unsettling for most people to hear others question whether or not life is worth living.
>>
File: 1432115240650.jpg (164 KB, 798x753) Image search: [Google]
1432115240650.jpg
164 KB, 798x753
>>29516097
v i l l a i n o u s

beep boop
>>
>>29516110
My god, you people are such teenagers. You really, REALLY believe not every other person on the planet have questioned life? It's the absolute basics of being a human being.
And you're talking to a SHRINK never the less. They deal with 50 cases of your depressed asses a week rambling on with your pseudo-intellectual existentialist bullshit.
>>
>>29516174
So then why does everyone call each other crazy over it or settle for a non-answer as a conclusion?

Really you would think that would mean that there would be more conversation about it, not less.
>>
>>29516174
That's the sort of cynical Byronic Hero nobility that this thread's all about.

How's your first thread on /r9k/ going, OP?
>>
File: 1453047211315.png (503 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1453047211315.png
503 KB, 500x667
>>29516068
That's a good point

They're having difficulty rectifying their ideology with their desire to be part of the group. Their ideological viewpoints that justify their arrogance, in this context, arise purely out of a need to present their neuroses in a more positive manner.

While in society, which they want to be part of subconsciously, they change to try to meet its expectations, but with limited efficacy for various reasons.

The escape from this neurosis is not in trying to be more like the fictitious ideal of the ideology they've internalized, but to recognize that they do not necessarily have to act in one way or another
>>
File: What a Wonderful World.jpg (18 KB, 336x448) Image search: [Google]
What a Wonderful World.jpg
18 KB, 336x448
>>29516253
Nice of you to ask.
>>
>>29516210
Noone settles, and there is overwhelming conversation about it you fucking moron. It's the big questions of life, the questions humankind have been asking forever. If you want to dive extra into it just pick up a philosophical book. Absurdism seems like a good place for a pleb 15yo like you to start. It's babby's first existentialist thought.

Thinking about life isn't "crazy", noone would ever claim that. What you have is a common depression.
>>
>>29516174
>pseudo-intellectual existentialist bullshit
literally proving these peoples point
>oh they're asking existentialist questions
>l've been over this and made some excuse to make me feel better
>Hah. l make my own meaning in life, ha ha
>FEDORA! FEDORA! EDGY TEENAGER!
>>
>>29516097
>You haven't figured life out
Neither have you, don't pretend you have.

>>29516110
They have and may have reached horrible conclusions worse than yours. What's unsettling is remembering what they discovered. If I ignore it it doesn't exist right?
>>
>>29516343
It's not something you ever reach a conclusion for (unless you kill yourself). You keep questioning, keep studying. Read more books, go to more therapy. I'm not telling you people to stop questioning life, I'm telling you this is what every living person does.
What I'm reacting against are you deluded angsty teens who think you're special in having an existentialist thought.

>>29516375
I'm not at all, I'm saying noone has.
>>
>>29516174
Difference is normalfags perk back up, Robots slide deeper and deeper until they either off themselves or live the rest of their lives withered, bitter, and lonely
>>
>>29516333
Settle down with the insults, guy
Only proves you have nothing valuable to say.
>>
>>29515951
Do you think that viewing it differently would change things?

>inb4 git gud faggit. Just B positive. THen U can 360 no scope lyf,
>>
>>29516414
l think you're far too generous thinking that everybody actually thinks about that. I mean, it's definetly not a special snowflake thing but many people are pretty stupid. And beyond that, most people that delve into existentialism are quick to shove it aside. The people actually willing to think deeply about these topics or philosophy in general are most certainly a minority.
>>
>>29516427
Maybe that's because robots are weak faggots who like to feel sorry for themselves while doing nothing to better themselves or try to change the situation.
There isn't a division between people born "normal" and "robot" in this world. If you actually believe this you've been here way too long. You're not destined to be a robot for life. You could choose to perk yourself up if you wanted to, it's not reserved for this alien race you call "normals". Daily exercise and a healthy diet is a good start for a happier mind.
>>
>>29516559
>or try to change the situation
only way to change the situation is to kill yourself tho
>>
File: on who i am.png (68 KB, 533x309) Image search: [Google]
on who i am.png
68 KB, 533x309
>>29515836
Anyone who self-identifies as a Byronic Hero should jump off a bridge.
>>
>>29515836
There is no such thing as heroism. The universe doesn't care about whatever narrative you have in your head.
>>
>>29515865
Come on now, don't pose for the "nonconformity is based on what normies do" shtick. Get a little more fashion-conscious.

Give us a real mindblow.
>>
>>29516616
>you are a part of the universe
>you care about the narrative in your head
>a part of the universe cares about the narrative in your head

wot now
>>
>>29516592
I genuinely cringed.
>>
>>29516427
Or you just become accepting of the darkness and start practicing epicureanism
>>
>>29516502
Let's just be very clear that the people who "delve into existentialism" aren't the ones who bitch on r9k about how unfair life feels. I think it's an excellent idea for anyone to dive into their existentialist thoughts - but do it for real. Read philosophy, or culture yourself. Read books, watch films (and I mean quality cinema, not Iron Man 3), educate yourself in different topics, talk to lots of people (out of your comfort zone, so no r9k circlejerking), etc etc etc.
>>
>>29516592
The most painful thing about that picture is that there's likely A LOT of people thinking this to themselves (even though thankfully they don't put it into words for the world to see like this autist).
I mean, that pic is at least 50% of people on /lit/.
>>
>>29516648
Arbitrary arrangements of gray meat, nothing more.
>>
>>29516679
Op here. Do you have anything to suggest?

This isn't some sort of self-help thread, but I like to think this sort of thing my help someone on this board.

>>29516661
Suggested Epicurus.

Obviously, if I'm on /r9k/ at 3 A.M., I'm looking for something too.
>>
>>29516746
>"arrangements of grey meat, nothing more."

You better live that Rust Cohle lifestyle, my friend.
>>
>>29516748
>Do you have anything to suggest?
What do you mean, I've just suggested a ton of things. Do you mean specific books? /lit/ can be of great help there, they have ton of infographics.
>>
>>29516746
It still cares, even if you have to reduce the definition of "caring" down to some complex electrical interaction in the brain.
>>
>>29516810
I just meant, you know, specifically. Watching films and reading books with an idea in mind is a good recommendation, but, if there's something specific that you think would help. Some book or movie. Some philosopher that you'd recommend. Etc. I know this isn't /lit/ but, I think it's in the spirit of things.

/lit/ posts on philosophy make sense, now that I've seen a few of them.
>>
>>29516947
Camus The Stranger is a simple start.
Dostoevsky should sit right with robots. Just make sure you read him right - many believe his works are depressing while they're the opposite, look at his message. Crime and Punishment is excellent.
Bergman films are good if you want to get more cultured. Persona, is one example.

But really, go read infographic and google around. Look for movies and books which seem to speak to you. But dare go out of your comfort zone and try something which may require more effort than just watching your regular anime and reading GoT or whatever pleb entertainment books.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.