[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Listen fellow robots, this is the story about how I tried, only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: here you go.gif (885 KB, 470x360) Image search: [Google]
here you go.gif
885 KB, 470x360
Listen fellow robots, this is the story about how I tried, only to miserably fail, once more.

>be me
>18, failing school
>everything's wrong in my life
>decide to finally do something about it
>dream of recording stuff and maybe even make a living out of it.
>decide to try to recording myself playing the piano
>don't know how to set up the shit I bough
>huge background noise, shit recording quality
>mfw I spent $300 on mics and cables I don't know how to use
>mfw I realise I'm too retarded to do anything.

>inb4 OP is even too retarded to properly greentext
Don't worry, I'll go back to lurking
>>
>>29507545

Well, figure it out. Keep experimenting with levels and settings until you get a decent sound.
>>
>>29507545

Okay, I'll give you some tips:

>position microphone close to piano strings for best sound
>make sure your input level is just below the red, but not hitting the red, to get a loud signal but avoid distortion
>use EQ settings to bring out a bright, vibrant sound quality
>expensive microphones are only as good as the engineer's skills

Now go play that honky-tonk music like a boss and make a million bucks, OP.
>>
>>29507909
You'll be in the credits, don't worry.

Might be all the cables doing some sort of interferences.
But I'm done for today, neither Google nor myself could help me out for the moment.
>>
>>29508005

Cables are the easiest part. They can't cause problems unless they're damaged. They just connect A to B. What are you using to record?
>>
>>29508040
Well, here's the full setup :

Mic (stc-3d lanen) -> XLR -> phantom thingy -> XLR to jack cable -> Soundcard (Asus XONAR) -> Audacity (cos I can't figure out how Edison in FL Studio works)
>>
>>29508078
>phantom thingy -> XLR to jack cable

What outputs does the phantom power unit offer? Just XLR?

Are you using an XLR to 1/8" cable?

If you're using 1/8" phono inputs on the soundcard, use the Stereo input, not the "Mic" input (which is mono).

If your soundcard has RCA inputs, and the phantom power has stereo RCA outputs, then use RCA cables.
>>
>>29508185
My phantom power only has XLR inpu/output.

I'm using 1/8" input but there's only one input on the soundcard, not sure how I know if it's mono or stereo.

>If your soundcard has RCA inputs
no RCA on the phantom power, nor on the soundcard (except if that's what the "front-ctr-rear" output is)

anon, I feel like I've taken enough of your time already, only reply if you have nothing better to do
>>
File: sound stuff.jpg (77 KB, 839x472) Image search: [Google]
sound stuff.jpg
77 KB, 839x472
>>29508078
>Audacity

Also, you may have to adjust your input volume levels to get a decent, non-distorting signal, since I assume the phantom power doesn't have a volume knob or anything. The way to do this:

>right click Volume icon on toolbar (looks like a speaker)
>select "Recording Devices"
>choose your input (presumably "Stereo Mix"), click "Properties" button
>click "Levels" tab in new window, adjust volume as necessary

Pic related, on Win 8. XP/7/10 etc have similar methods but it might not look identical.
>>
>>29508296
What's some good recording software with tutorials out there ?

Also : I do get a decent sound level. The issue is this constant buzzing sound, whether there's input or not.
>>
File: UCA202.png (239 KB, 800x498) Image search: [Google]
UCA202.png
239 KB, 800x498
>>29508334

REAPER is the best free recording software I've ever seen. It's professional-level, and highly versatile.

If there's just a constant buzzing or humming sound, that could indicate the signal is unbalanced, or your computer is also recording audio from a webcam mic or something like that.

The generic, monoaural "mic input" on laptops and soundcards is really awful for some reason; I never use it for recording. I wouldn't be surprised if that "mic input" was the cause of the buzzing. If that's your only input, you might want to get a different soundcard or a USB device that acts like a soundcard. My recording laptop only has that shit "mic input", so I get around the problem with the Behringer UCA202, it's an inexpensive little box that plugs into a USB port and makes itself your soundcard. It receives and sends in stereo, it works great.
>>
>>29508559
Thank you. I'll try this out.
>>
>>29508757

Hope it helps, anon. Wish I could offer more specific advice, but recording issues have a million variables. So much trial-and-error involved until it finally works right...

Good luck!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.