[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much should you tell your therapist about your suicidal thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: 1444941571398.png (130 KB, 394x360) Image search: [Google]
1444941571398.png
130 KB, 394x360
How much should you tell your therapist about your suicidal thoughts?
>>
All of them. If you need help it is ok to seek it. Just remember everyone on this website will talk to you.
>>
>>29505463
Careful. We called the hotline on a friend of ours one bad night, she didn't improve and now she's 15k in debt because of it. So much worse off.

Y u wanna suicide?
>>
>>29505515
>15k in debt
that's fucked up
>>
>>29505463
All of them. If you're only contemplating doing it and haven't made any definite plans, they will do everything they can to help you right then and there, and will direct their efforts towards making you feel better as soon as possible. If you do have a concrete plan/know you're going to do it, they'll get you the help that you need.

Just be aware that if you explicitly tell a therapist that you are going to kill yourself, they will probably have you hospitalized for a short period of time until they can help you feel better. They want to stop the thoughts, so don't expect them to encourage you to go through with it or anything.

btw this goes for homicidal thoughts, too, or any other thoughts involving harming a person. excluding pedophilia, depending on which country you live in.
>>
>>29505524
It is, man.

I didn't make the call, but it was my idea. I feel terrible for it now, but we aren't professionals. 5 people age 21-26 can't do anything for somebody in that shape.

I only wanted to do the right thing, I just didn't understand the consequences of it.

She started prostituting to help pay it off because insurance won't cover it. She's an actual rape victim, and she can't even sleep in the same bed as her husband without emotional trauma. When he found out, he divorced her. He kept the house and is using her mental instability to gain custody of the kid.

I really fucked up there. Be CAREFUL, OP. If you attempted suicide, keep that quiet.
>>
>>29505515
Too many reasons, but it's mainly because I've been suffering constantly due to intense thoughts of regret and hopelessness. Every day is pure suffering, I'm lucky if I can manage to sleep more than 3 hours in one night.
>>
File: feels (13).png (67 KB, 847x521) Image search: [Google]
feels (13).png
67 KB, 847x521
I told it my therapist and he didnt gave a fuck, was last time I saw him, no meds or anything
>>
>>29505595

I've been there. You won't kill yourself since you're still writing on here.112
>>
File: 1397420628648.jpg (15 KB, 293x327) Image search: [Google]
1397420628648.jpg
15 KB, 293x327
>>29505621
>male therapist
why would you do that?
>>
>>29505463
Don't unless you want to fuck your life up. Not only will you get fucked with debt >>29505515 but you'll get a permanent record and be disqualified from holding many jobs.

If you want to go full cray cray lifestyle and try to get institutionalized/put on NEETbux that might be an option in your state, but you should do a lot of research before you mention it.

Don't think these therapists have any magical powers. They're all taught the same simple rules at the same schools and follow the same playbook.
>>
File: 1343599084313.png (21 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1343599084313.png
21 KB, 250x250
>>29505651
>telling a woman how you feel
Nigga u are beyond dumb
>>
File: 1451272605705.jpg (34 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1451272605705.jpg
34 KB, 400x386
>>29505651
>implying I can talk to a woman
>>
File: 1428611792382.gif (571 KB, 199x199) Image search: [Google]
1428611792382.gif
571 KB, 199x199
>>29505651
ogrinal cmmoent
>>
>>29505591
But why would she be in 15k in debt? Did they make her pay for therapy or something I dont understand.
>>
>>29505956
In the US, if you tell a therapist about suicidal thoughts they can involuntarily commit you and ship you off to a nuthouse for a few days.

Then the nuthouse sends you a bill for $20k. :D

The mental sickness system is a wonderful education about how the world is not your buddy.
>>
>>29505979
B-but I'm in the us... and sometimes I have suicidal thoughts....
>>
>>29506006
Learn mindfulness meditation brah. "I" tell myself I'm going to kill myself a few times every day, but it doesn't bother me. It's just a thought or some animal reflex I picked up along the way. It doesn't define me.
>>
>>29505979
>>29506006
Therapists cannot involuntarily hospitalize you unless you are an immediate threat to yourself or someone else. You would have to tell them that you have a gun in your car in the parking lot and that you're going to blow your brains out after the appointment is over, or something else equally pressing. Simply saying "I get thoughts about killing myself" is not grounds for hospitalization. To be safe, though, it's important to stress that you don't have any intent to act on the thoughts.
>>
>>29506030
>It's just a thought or some animal reflex I picked up along the way. It doesn't define me.
The fucking mindfulness hole is a deep one. You're really just a collection of voices in your head. Read up about feral children, imagine what your life would be like even 100 years ago or growing up without language, its so dumb to think that all of human achievement only lead to making so many people indolent and sad that they don't have to chase fucking rabbits all day to survive.
The truth is that no matter what your body wants a certain level of stress everyday, if you don't meet that amount you'll feel like shit because you didn't 'achieve' anything. The dumb part is that its a involuntary response so someone can get it and the same amount from building a lego coaster to building a real coaster.
Brains are dumb, I want out.
>>
Just don't. I never tell my therapist the whole reason I don't get my shit together is because I'm killing myself anyways so it doesn't really matter.
>>
Only if it's a real liability to you. E.g. spending all your time contemplating suicide and getting nothing done, or if you start to not care about actually dying (lay your neck over train tracks to try this).
>>
>>29505595
You're not alone in that. I understand how you feel. I used to be that way myself.

If you want, I can tell you how I got out, but it may not be applicable to your situation.
>>
It's not worth it, especially if you live in the US. If you want to get the same message across, perhaps tell her you wish you never existed or that you're not interested in living anymore, making sure to explicitly state afterwards you have no desire or intent to kill yourself.
>>
>>29505670
What?

Don't therapists have confidentiality with their patients?
>>
>>29506488
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act
>>
>>29505463
Not at all, trust me. It's a bad move.
>>
OP listen to the people who advice caution. Apart from drugging you into zombiemode, modern medicine only has ECT as a miracle cure for suicidal thoughts. You want to get the message across without careful choice of words. Getting institutionalized by force will do you no good.
>>
File: feel.jpg (145 KB, 660x751) Image search: [Google]
feel.jpg
145 KB, 660x751
>>29505463
I was locked up a week ago for being me Im a bit much! They asked if I was suicidal and I said yeah I DONT GIVE A FUCK!!! I plan on dieing in battle; its the only way into Valhalla. Is that suicidal or what?
>>
>>29506500
Wow fuck Florida

Fuck the US

Thankful now I don't live in a 3rd world country
>>
>>29506696
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_commitment_internationally
A lot of countries have laws like that, but you probably won't get fucked as hard as in the US.
>>
>>29506547
Nah that's just dumb.

>originale storefronts
>>
>>29505515
>>29505524
jej that's fucked up
>>
>>29506547
They won't let you into the military if they have records of you saying that.
>>
>>29506748
This is why you should NEVER trust normies and NEVER fall for the therapy meme. It's literally just something designed to fool you so normies have a "reason" to fuck you over.
>>
>>29505463
Seriously it depends where you live. Some countries the Doctors have social powers just below policemen.

If you tell your shrink you're going to harm yourself they can detain you in a hospital.
>>
As someone who has been institutionalized and forced pills for no reason at all, all misunderstandings and nonsense I suggest you listen to the warnings and proceed with caution. In my view all of psychiatry is a racquet based on the slightest, flimsiest bits of evidence and the drugs are how they make money. If you are suicidal, that leaves them open straightaway to commit you. If you think you can turn around later and say: "it's alright i feel fine now" there's no taking back what you said. These psychiatrists and mental health guys will all try to act as your friend and advertise themselves that way, but you need to be cynical about them.
>>
>>29505463
Don't tell them you are going to do it by___ in the date of____.
>>
I've told my psychiatrist that I was having suicidal thoughts one time and he said "you know I could put an involuntary psych hold on you right?" and I just told him "try me" and walked out of the office. Nothing ever came of it, but saying you're suicidal isn't really gonna accomplish anything besides convincing people you're not in the right state of mind. IME once you do that everyone starts to act like you can't make good decisions for yourself
>>
File: awesome smiley8.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
awesome smiley8.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>29507051
My record is too long for that anyway. I don't think they would accept me; first time I did time was for hitting a cop. No doubt I would smack a drill sergeant.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.