[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: worldbuilding.jpg (197 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
worldbuilding.jpg
197 KB, 1366x768
does anyone here write? I really want to start writing and create worlds but I'm not sure how to start.

I'm an INFP and I want to do something productive with my over-thinking and over-imaginative mind. I constantly day dream and imagine different worlds, people, scenarios and stories but I feel like i don't have the skills to put it into a structured and developed novel.

Any tips from people who are smarter than me?
>>
>>29500836
>I feel like i don't have the skills to put it into a structured and developed novel.
Of course you don't. You have to develop those skills. You can't just jump straight into writing a fully-fleshed novel. And how do you develop those skills? By writing! Just don't expect immediate and gratifying success, at least on that scale. You've got to recognize that it's a process, that you must instead set your sights on the development of this skill. I'm sure that with a little googling you can find suggestions from lots of writers about how to organize your ideas and about what kinds of writing exercises you can do to develop those skills. However the one thing they'll all stress is to write, all the time, every day. It's a habit and a hobby you've got to be willing to devote yourself to.
>>
I write poetry. What do you want to write about? You have to give me more information than 'I want to write.'
>>
>>29500882
Yeah from what I've read online it seems that I should just write first and think later, just to get into the habit of writing
>>
>>29500893
I want to create worlds like ASOIAF, maybe not the same genre but with a full world with map and the appearance of a deep history. I would write from the perspective of one character mainly
>>
>>29500947
I'm going to give you normalfag advice. Practice. Practice using more advanced diction and learn how to handle dialogue. Too much dialogue and you bore the reader. Too little and the reader isn't as aware of what's going on as you'd like to. I'd honestly start by writing all your ideas in a document and trying to arrange them from a jumbled mess to a rough plan. Then start on your prologue. I reccomend reading prologues similar to your idea and analyse them. Learn how they are structured and go from there. And don't copy anything. Being spoon fed only helps you understand the shape of a spoon.
>>
>>29500923
Yup. And the bottom line is, it's going to be work. As much as you love day dreaming about world building, the process of writing is work. It won't come so easily, and it will take self-discipline. If all you really want is the pleasure of indulging in your fantasy world, then forget about writing. But if you're driven to externalize it, to develop it, and to show it to the world, then set yourself to the task of developing the skills of a writer.
>>
Start writing small stories with substance, think Aesop's fables. I read somewhere that a book is just a collection of stories. Like a composer doesn't start off with a symphony, don't start your foray into creative writing by attempting to write a book.
>>
Get some books on writing anon.
Most importantly you need to practice a lot.

An exercise use that can help you get into the mood is to close your eyes, imagine you are on a tropical island and start describing the scene.
Then just write whatever you think. Doesn't have to be related to the tropical island at all, just go with the flow.
>>
>>29500836
read more. literally any type of literature you can get your hands on read it it helps you think faster and deliver your words fluently onto a physical platform. ever since I was a boy I was obsessed with military history my mother bought me so much encyclopedias that I started to write my own history books on little notebook pads and I would make my mother read them to me before bed.

>be careful because of this I had no friends for most of my early childhood
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.