[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Spent 2 hours learning how to do game development. >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13
File: KENTRY.png (1 MB, 989x679) Image search: [Google]
KENTRY.png
1 MB, 989x679
> Spent 2 hours learning how to do game development.
> Actually have the title screen built already
Yoooo lmao, this shit is easy as fuck!!
All I had to do was try, why the fuck have I been on this board!??

I could've made 10 games by now, in the amount of time I spent shitposting here.
If you want to be a winner like me, then all you have to do is try.
>>
File: 1466663068956.png (957 KB, 653x839) Image search: [Google]
1466663068956.png
957 KB, 653x839
Congrats! What tutorial are you using?
>>
>>29498045
Can you give me some advice desu? Any suggestions and tips on how to get started? Programs you're using?
>>
>tfw have idea and programmed a lot before but can't even figure out what language or anything to write in
>>
>>29498081
The google tutorial + http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/start

> how to make an image appear on screen.
Hm, I'd like to have music to show up on this screen.
> how to play music.
Hm, a good title screen has options, a start button and an exit screen.
> how to add buttons that you can swap between.
Hm, I'd like to have sound effects on the buttons for the menu.
> how to add sound effects.
Hmm.. I should be able to press a key on a certain button that takes me to a new screen.

and go on from there, or you can just read this guys book and go through his tutorial and you become a guru.

Don't procrastinate though, just do it.. just try, it took me 3 years to finally try game development, I spent all these years just THINKING about making a game, and now I realized I just wasted those years, this shit is actually possible if you try, even if it doesn't make sense. Just do it anyway and only when you get results you go "fuck yeah, I can do this" because you got results.
>>
What kind of game are you making?
>>
File: AutismChallenges.png (341 KB, 726x542) Image search: [Google]
AutismChallenges.png
341 KB, 726x542
holy shit this guy actually thinks game development is easy because he followed a tutorial for two hours and made a title screen

yo hit me up when you're dealing with actual problems
>>
File: 8.webm (54 KB, 618x345) Image search: [Google]
8.webm
54 KB, 618x345
I just started working on a game too, though I haven't done much in the last two days. The plan is for it to be a multiplayer, mech-based Risk of Rain type game. Posting cause the (you)s give me motivation.

We're all gonna make it.
>>
keep trying me kent keep trying
>>
>>29498045
literaly any shithead with time can program a videogame.

The hard part is to have a good original idea and develop it to it's completion. Good luck with THAT friend.
>>
File: Screenshot20110320140026748.jpg (121 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot20110320140026748.jpg
121 KB, 800x640
>>29498160
Fight simulation game. I'll have prototype made in a couple weeks.
But I got to spend a month building assets (do the art)

It's like dragon age origins, where you get to set the tactics of your companions
(pic related)

You then watch your fighter go against other players fighters, and you have limited control over their actions.
>>29498187
Keep up the good work man, I'm implementing multiplayer EXTREMELY early, right after I get the basics to combat implemented. Luckily for me, multiplayer should be significantly easier than other types of games.
>>
File: GoldenEye-Programmer.jpg (24 KB, 569x314) Image search: [Google]
GoldenEye-Programmer.jpg
24 KB, 569x314
>>29498227
Totally true!
>>
>>29498227
> good original idea
Who cares, I'm not trying to make money off this senpai.

I'm just making a game I'd enjoy, this is where you fail at development. Because you're so focused on making the next big hit, instead of something you'd genuinely feel inspired to create because you think it's a good game.

It's not about originality and it's not about being "good" those are just formulas you commonly see in what's successful.

It's about making a game that YOU and others want to play. I can name countless of games that that are unoriginal or they're unfinished/buggy messes yet sold tons.

Even then, there's games I love that no one heard about. You should do game development because you like it, otherwise gtfo.
>>
>>29498280
Will you keep us updated about your game? I am genuinley interested in it
>>
>>29498280
>It's like dragon age origins, where you get to set the tactics of your companions
stolen from ffxii, dumbed down severely.
>>
>>29498319
I didn't play ffxii, I stole the idea from dragon age origins & theaigames.com

You can be negative and unhappy trying to bring others down with you, but I'm enjoying making this game regardless of your opinion.
You'll mope, and I'll make a game. (Also, I'll try ffxii just in case it has something I can learn from)

>>29498313
I'll upload builds of the game as I work on it.
But I don't know how long it'll take me to build the character creator.

The idea is to have players create their own type of fighter/archer/ninja/samurai/knight/w.e anything they can think of.

theaigames has it where you create a bot, and watch it go against another player's bot. As it loses you try to refactor the code and try to improve the bot to improve its win rate. To see who can make the best bot at certain games.

Mine is pretty much the same, but done as a RPG create-your-character type.
I'll start with PVP then PVE (with parties)
Working on the options screen right now, and as I get the hang of doing menu's I'll be able to flesh out the character creation screen.
>>
>>29498045
>>>/vg/agdg
>>
File: 33aq91j.jpg (488 KB, 1057x1500) Image search: [Google]
33aq91j.jpg
488 KB, 1057x1500
>>29498130

Not sure what you mean by "the google tutorial", but I really appreciate your answer. I wish you the best of luck, anon!
>>
>>29498045
>make a whack-a-mole game in 30min
making games isn't hard.
Making good games is.
Come back when you re dealing with one bug that keeps continually fucking up your entire game and you can't remove the part that causes it because it's essential.
>>
>>29498965
> he doesn't make his games from scratch.
Good luck, I'm going to sleep.
I code from scratch, you have complete control over everything and only you are to blame.
>>
that's rad OP, good luck. I also make games and did some work on it today
>>
>>29498045
Fixing bugs is the hardest
>>
>can't into polymorphism
>no understanding of calculus so I can't solve Newton's Method problems
>basically just an ignorant fuck

please advise
>>
File: hE7E03B0A.jpg (47 KB, 500x562) Image search: [Google]
hE7E03B0A.jpg
47 KB, 500x562
I want to make a game, but I'm just one person, and the story I have envisioned is complex and (at least to me) enthralling. I wan't an artstyle that's similar to, if anything, skullgirls. I want it to have hours and hours of gameplay, filled to the brim with secrets. and numerous music tracks that capture the player.
However I lack the necessary skill set to do all of this.
I'm one pathetic insect of a programmer.
I'm no sound engineer.
I'm no animator.
I'm no graphic artist
My dream shall remain a dream
>>
File: roadblock.png (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
roadblock.png
303 KB, 1920x1080
>>29499116
I'm in the same boat. Ultimately I just make shit games and pair them with an equally shit MSPaint artstyle
>>
>>29499098
You don't need mathematics if you're working in a 2D engine. At least 3rd grade math at least
>>
File: screenies.png (940 KB, 2652x1812) Image search: [Google]
screenies.png
940 KB, 2652x1812
r8 my game screenshots m8s
>>
>>29498087
If you want to learn to use unity engine search for a group called brackey's they've done a bunch of unity tutorials
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-24+at+05.39.04).jpg (33 KB, 286x428) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-24+at+05.39.04).jpg
33 KB, 286x428
maybe if I learn to animate my pixel art we could make a sweet game
>>
>>29500447
There are plenty of tutorials on how to use gamemaker and if you just wanted to make a simple game you could use rpg maker
>>
tfw i know enough about programming to do some intermediate algorithms but can't seem to make a real project.
>>
>>29498187
have a motivational (You)
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.