[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assuming the universe and time as infinite, infinite as a real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: universe-54a[1].jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
universe-54a[1].jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
Assuming the universe and time as infinite, infinite as a real concept and everything that can happen as probable, there's infinite points in time and space in which any possibility is happening.
Imagine the probability of a world that's exactly like the earth existing as 1/x, where x is a ridiculously high, immeasurable number. Multiply that for infinite, and you still get infinite. So you reading this post is something that is happening infinite times. Hitler also wins infinite times and you also fuck your mother infinite times. Just not in your current perception of reality.
Is there any depth to what I'm saying or am I just retarded?
>>
>>29492367
What your saying is Infinite space= infinite probabilities. It's not really a deep thought it's very logical.
>>
>>29492468
Makes me mad that there are infinite realities in which I get laid but I'm trapped in one I'm a virgin.
>>
>>29492367
but that can't be possible at all, because that would mean there is one where it is separate from all the others and how can that be?

Can you have nothing and something at the same time? no
>>
I like to imagine sometimes that all the infinite universes out there are like the fantastical worlds we have created like Star Wars or LoTR and we just got unlucky and ended up in the boring science and physics based one.
>>
>>29492367
What if there are also infinite recurrences of the same event? That mucks everything up because that means that, although there are an infinite number of possibilities, an infinite number of those infinite possibilities can be all shit realities because the universe is gay and likes to fuck with you. So that there ends up being a higher "ratio" of shit realities to non-shit realities (which can't -really- exist because this is infinite, but can at least in theory cause a dramatic probability that you'll inherit your shit life every time you roll for one life out of the whole of possibility)
>>
>>29493142
>star wars
>lotr
>not bound by science and physics

u wot
those are like tweak packs for the material world and still full of misery
YOU'RE NOT NOT THINKING BIG ENOUGH!!!
>>
we can't know if the universe is infinite, though
>>
>>29493222
I meant not once or three or five times
double negatives
l o l
>>
>>29492367

>Assuming the universe and time as infinite, infinite as a real concept and everything that can happen as probable, there's infinite points in time and space in which any possibility is happening.

That's a lot of assuming given those assumptions are false. The universe is a finite size. We know this because it's expanding. It isn't infinite. We also know that as time goes on, entropy is increasing.

So, we don't have an infinite universe or an infinite amount of time for all of those probabilities. This is also limited by the fact that this universe has certain laws that it works within. So, you're not going to have infinite possibilities in anything but theory because it's not how the universe we're in works. You'd have to factor in other universes, which we can't do since all we know of is exactly one.

So, none of this means anything because neither time nor the universe are infinite in size, nor do the laws of physics even allow for an infinite number of variables. And unless you find a multiverse or other universes to compare this one to, all you're doing is saying stupid theoretical shit. And anyone can make shit up that sounds cool. Doesn't mean it's real.
>>
>>29493241

I mean like what if this is just that one universe that is nothing but a single planet and a single species that just exists in a vast expanse of nothingness squabbling over petty things such as race and religion, never to learn their purpose, never meet their creator, forever enveloped in the mundane, likely to destroy themselves in the near future. It's just sad that this is what our reality is.

Meanwhile other universes have entire galactic civilizations or magic kingdoms or maybe the secrets of life unlocked, maybe their God is revealed, and they all happily serve it in a world without evil, or maybe they themselves are the Gods.

And then there's us with this stupid planet and this stupid board to shitpost on.
>>
File: it's time.jpg (67 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
it's time.jpg
67 KB, 800x530
>>29493460

>It's just sad that this is what our reality is.

>lives in a world where he eats better than the kings of old, has access to knowledge once reserved for the initiated or very rich in a single google search, lives on a world full of poverty and has the fortune to be well off enough to get internet at all

>says existence is sad

Wew.
>>
>>29493574

Bitch nigga please the comparison is being made to works of fiction not our fucking past dumbass
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4
>>
>>29493605
He is right though. I agree with both of you actually as neither of you is wrong here, just different perspectives.
>>
>>29493605

>Bitch nigga please the comparison is being made to works of fiction not our fucking past dumbass

>lives in a world where humans literally fucking fly around in mere hours like Icarus

>has television and internet and planes, trains, computers, machine guns, atomic weapons, genetics, and tons of other feats
>literally lives in a world where half the shit we do would seem like magic to people in ancient times

>is fucking butthurt because he's not a hobbit who has to walk on foot everywhere and can't shake a stick at someone to make things happen
>>
>>29493460
I could see it as a tangential stepping stone, maybe, assuming multiversal motility, but as an end-all be-all existence? Would rather not exist at all than be on middle earth desu
>>
Space does not need to be infinite, only time.
If space is infinite then it is possible for only new events to occur infinitely
>>
>>29493336
just because it is expanding doesn't mean it isn't infinite you retard. actually supports the opposite of what you are saying, especially the fact that the it is expanding faster and faster.
>>
>>29493184
The same event would happen in different times, in different spaces, in a different universe - therefore there is no such thing as a "same event," because the events leading up to and before such an event would be different. Whether or not the event is similar to it's parallel universe counterpart is, however, totally plausible.
>>
>>29493732

> just because it is expanding doesn't mean it isn't infinite you retard.

Yes, it does. If it was infinite it wouldn't be expanding. It's possible it can expand infinitely into the future, but it had a finite starting point. And that means that at any given point, the universe will have a finite size.

>actually supports the opposite of what you are saying, especially the fact that the it is expanding faster and faster.

And entropy goes against what you're saying. Because after the heat death and the universe expands so fucking far apart that atoms can't even keep cohesion anymore, you won't be getting possibilities for anything.
>>
>>29492367
space isn't infinite there is only like three galaxies.
>>
>>29493845
There are more stars in our galaxy then there are atoms in the universe.
>>
>>29494488
how is that even possible or are u baiting
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.