[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At least we die eventually right anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Snapchat-8444211522186365148.jpg (325 KB, 1080x1794) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8444211522186365148.jpg
325 KB, 1080x1794
At least we die eventually right anon?
>>
>>29489422
>he thinks we get to die
lol
>>
>>29489422
just kill yourself already and get it over with
>>
>>29489662
>Killing myself
>When no one would care
No point lad. Might as well watch the world burn first
>>
>>29489709
I'd care!
>>
>>29489869
Please dont lie anon~
>>
File: 1461325868701.png (58 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
1461325868701.png
58 KB, 436x425
>theres a chance we go to hell and have to keep living
>>
>>29490153
The worst fate.
>>
File: 1465047345615.jpg (229 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
1465047345615.jpg
229 KB, 953x953
>>29490153
>there's a chance that hell is a plane devoted entirely to debauchery, blasphemy, and the pursuit of unadulterated satisfaction
>there's a chance that Satan will give you 20 succubae from his personal harem with the sole purpose of pleasuring you
>there's a chance that Hell is an infinite plane of infinite possibilities, and the perfect world exists for you somewhere
>>
>>29490153
will tumblr be there?
>>
>>29490153
We're already in hell, or was that a reincarnation reference
>>
>>29490248
>implying this isn't hell right here
Infinite possibilities, maybe, but none of them realized fully. Always half-empty, or they appear to be something they are not, or completely nonexistent except in some kind of imaginary space created only to torment you with your inability to manifest it.
>>
hell is trying to make yourself happy with drugs, sex, video games, movies, toys, etc. eventually it's not enough but you keep trying to make it fulfilling

dying sucks, but there's an upside to it. if you're suffering too much, it can give you time to rest because eventually it'll be possible to bring dead people back to life and become immortal with the help of artificial intelligence
>>
>>29490324
The implication wasn't that this wasn't Hell at all.

My point was to inject some optimistic agnosticism into the conversation.
>>
>>29490279
Tumblr is a portal to hell
>>
File: 1466145822784.jpg (95 KB, 500x427) Image search: [Google]
1466145822784.jpg
95 KB, 500x427
>>29490368
Why would I ever want to be immortal? How is that an upside? What would change between now and then that would make a never-ending life worth living?
>>
>>29490403
You can watch anime FOREVER!
>>
>>29490403
An end to suffering of every kind and literally feeling better than you could ever possibly feel right now for eternity

Imagine an artificial intelligence that has conquered the entire universe and can help you do anything you want. You could go to any planet instantly, you could talk to animals, you could actually be a character in video games you've played before. You'll never feel sad, or tired, or hungry, or anything like that.
>>
File: 1465306335390.jpg (200 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1465306335390.jpg
200 KB, 1200x1200
>>29490476
Would it really be me, though? Even if an AI were to make a perfect replica of my consciousness, wouldn't it be a completely separate entity? Regardless of whether or not its even possible to achieve the things you talk about, I doubt that I would be the person enjoying it.
>>
>>29490403
If you were immortal, you could go live in a small town and work an easy job and put half of your income into stocks and bonds and invetsments of various types and just... wait 100 or 200 years. It's a foolproof method of generating exponential growth in wealth without having to do anything exceptional in your lifetime. The power that you could accumulate though this and other means of time-assisted growth would make you nearly a literal god among men. You could have your own cruise ship parties for your 10 closest friends and yourself with top-notch drugs and food and 300 perfet 10 sluts to enjoy. You could fly to mars and back. You could live in a castle. You could take 20 years off and play every video game that's ever been invented. You could live any dream you've ever had if you only put in the time to get wealth first.
>>
>>29490561
And in 100 trillion years when the universe has expanded so much that any given point is essentially devoid of any matter or energy, won't you be bored, wanting it to end?

You'll have been ready for it to be over for quite some time already, but it won't ever be over. Not after another 100 decillion years, not ever. Your animal brain, subjected to maddening boredom, forever.
>>
>>29490555
That's a good question, but I believe so. It's not like Theseus' paradox where you replaced parts on a boat until the entire boat was made out of new pieces. Eventually time will be able to be controlled, and the AI will find you at the moment of your death and "wake you up". This is the afterlife. The afterlife will be the universe once science has been advanced to the point where everything is perfect, it'll be "heaven", which the previously dead will "wake" up to.
>>
>>29490561
Wouldn't that get old after a while? As time goes on, there would be fewer and fewer novel experiences that I could try to enjoy, and I would either be left to repeat myself over and over until the heat death of the universe, do nothing, or some combination of the two. Either way, I would just prefer death.
>>29490664
This. Unless we made substantial changes to our very nature, boredom is inevitable. But then, we would hardly be the same people and not human.
>>
>>29490664
>And in 100 trillion years when the universe has expanded so much that any given point is essentially devoid of any matter or energy
This will only happen if humans aren't working to control the universe and stop it from happening, which they will eventually be able to.
>>
>>29490712
>>29490692
I wouldn't bet on it, but you're free to believe what you want.
>>
>>29490706
>But then, we would hardly be the same people and not human.
http://transhumanity.net/about/
>>
>>29490747
>I wouldn't bet on it
It's understandable why you would feel that way. Most people use technology for short-term pleasure or terrible things like war.

But once you realize that humans evolved from the wilderness, turned from violent nomads into farmers, doctors, artists, scientists, etc. it's not too far fetched. People just need to stop killing each other and stop being so selfish.
>>
>>29490756
I'm all for making small and substantial changes to our bodies, but once we start messing with our brains and our human nature, it is my opinion that we would ultimately be different animals.
>>
>>29490813
>it is my opinion that we would ultimately be different animals.
It's normal to be wary of this, it could go horribly wrong. But, our brains and human nature are incredibly frail and susceptible to disease, genetic damage, etc. Even just knocking your head around a few times can severely damage the brain or kill it. It needs a fundamental change.
>>
>>29490846
Sure, I just don't think that we would be the same people any longer, and any sort of technological resurrection free of certain human aspects is certainly just an improved recreation, not a reawakening or rebirth. That's my only issue.
>>
>>29490904
>I just don't think that we would be the same people any longer
>free of certain human aspects
You would still have the memory of suffering, pain, and everything that made you human, but you wouldn't have to actually experience the downsides.
>>
>>29489422
Well... about that
If you're young enough, by the time you get old medicine will have advanced so the average person lives over 100, technology will have advanced that we may even see the birth of uploading your mind to a computer, that is until we advance enough to copy the brain and create a better version of it. then they can upload your consciousness to that new brain and death will be a choice and not forced on you.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.