[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games=Art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 10
File: ugly.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
ugly.gif
2 MB, 360x202
What do ya think, robots? Are videogames a form of "art"? Why? Why not?
>>
well fuck you /r9k/
>>
It depends on your concept of art. If you believe in both high art and low art, then yeah anything can be art including video games. Some believe only high art is true art. I'm a bit conflicted about it. I think calling video games is a bit cheap and short sells art so my opinion is no.
>>
>>29484982
I'm finna nut on you
>>
>>29485105
This is an original post? I honestly woudn't have expected that.
>>
>>29484982
Yes, they're art.

Why not? Books and film are, what's the difference between Warcaft telling a story of Humans fighting Orcs and Lord of the Rings, which tells the same story with rings and shit.
>>
>>29484982
It's a medium, and as such vidya possesses the capacity to be art. But to date (games are young, mind you) there has yet to be an instance of art in gaming.

Unless I've missed something pivotal
>>
>>29485237
yeah, and this is original too
>>
Video games are productions
just like hollywood
>>
>>29485319
>Implying every production is art.
>>
why do people care if video games should or should not be considered art?

who fucking cares? it doesn't give video games legitimacy
>>
>>29485144
This is the reason no one even bothered replying, art is subjective and the concept of muh beautiful painting of renaissance ladies is the ONLY ART to be considered art (!!!) has died a relatively long time ago.

Art lies in the eye of the beholder nowadays and relates/is described better by it being a feeling of enlightenment through any sort of experience.
>>
>>29485368
Well, I do care.
A-am I allowed to care, anon?...[/spoiler[
>>
>>29484982
Might as well be, they're nicer to look at than 99% of the """"art"""" that gets made nowadays.
>>
>>29485414
this is why you shouldn't care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdZ9weP5i68

that is considered art
>>
>>29485403
So, you think modern ""art"" is actually art?
>>
>>29485441
>People actually paid for hearing this
....why
>>
>>29485403
>the concept of muh beautiful painting of renaissance ladies is the ONLY ART to be considered art (!!!) has died a relatively long time ago.

Yeah and look what happened as a result. Turns out having no standards means everything starts looking like shit. "Muh freedom of expression" needs to take a backseat to not making ugly garbage, at least for a couple decades. Bring back skill and aesthetics.
>>
I'd say it depends on the definition of art

Basically everything is art, but stating something like that seems rather boring.

If the game is intented for it's artistic value I'd say yes it's art
If it's just another Call of Duty with just improved graphics I'd go fo no.
>>
i can get a plate, take a shit on it, put some ketchup next to it with some fries, and that would be considered art

so please explain to me why anyone who plays video games would want to be associated with the label "art?"
>>
>>29485403
I fucking hate this meme. It's been debunked for a fucking century but you prole faggots just absolutely spoonfeed the Norberg-Schulz and Heidegger to each other like if you ever took a break, even for a moment, the weight of the analytical celestioverse would squash the lot of you like the bloodsucking animals you are
>>
>>29485562
Why do you think that would be "art"?
>>
>>29485597
why do you think that wouldn't be "art?"
>>
>>29485605
Because it's literally shit.
>>
Yes, games are art. There's plenty of games that prove this point, like Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, LSD, and Majora's Mask. Even the most basic games are no less artistic than a simple piece of music.
>>
>>29485633
Just because you like smth it doesn't mean it's a piece of art, anon.
>>
>>29485623
but that's the point anon
>>
yes it is objectively a form of art. Many have rich storytelling, great visual and musical composition and it's even interactive. If movies can be seen as art, so can videogames
>>
>>29485673
What's the point in a piece of shit on a plate? It would be "art" if it was the first time it has been done, like a revolution thingy.
...but no, that's just literally a piece of shit.
>>
>>29485685
if this is art >>29485441 then why can't a literal piece of shit be art?
>>
>>29485724
At least she is using her voice, it's like a """""song"""".
Yours isn't even that. It isn't even a sculpture of a piece of shit. It's LITERALLY a piece of shit.
>>
>>29485741
ok ok

what if i put some corn in the piece of shit and made a smiley face
>>
Have you ever Seen the skills of concept artists?
>>
>>29485741
A literal piece of shit can't be art? That sounds like an objective standard of beauty, you fucking fascist. It's 2016!
>>
>>29485642
I know, that's why I didn't list some of my favorite games in my argument. Though I really enjoy Super Smash Bros Melee, it doesn't have the amazing OST of Chrono Trigger, or the rich storytelling of EarthBound, or the vast, abstract world of LSD, or the melancholic atmosphere of Majora's Mask.
>>
>>29485500
I think you misinterpreted me, art being subjective doesn't mean that everything is art. It just means that art lies in the eye of the beholder, some people find "beautiful detailed paintings of women" to be REAL art, and some people find parallel lines way more aesthetically pleasing. And that's fine. As is everything that harms no one. There are still a shitton of artists painting in realistic techniques and so on, no need to rage and attack a strawman just because I spoke like the kids who'd pay to watch Yoko Ono screaming.

One can belong and hold the same ideology as a bunch of normans who misinterpret it and NOT actually be an idiot who missed the point.
>>
File: 1464909089024.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1464909089024.png
218 KB, 600x579
>>29485763
Shock value is considered an artistic statement, it forces the viewer to watch and react, it incites an emotional reaction.

I think no one in this thread is actually educated enough in the field to be able to talk about it reasonably, and therefore, I'm leaving.
>>
>>29485837
>And that's fine. As is everything that harms no one.
This kind of idea is what leads to degeneracy. If you make garbage acceptable, people will make garbage. We need to start pushing back against relativism before it consumes everything that once had meaning.
>>
>>29485895
I'm sorry, too many slippery slopes and I kinda slipped into considering you a retard.

In b4 I was born in the wrong generation memes, in b4 ALL MUSIC is trash nowadays.
People who say shit like that... It's like they don't even exist in the same planet as I do anymore (or don't even know how to google or use youtube, or how to listen to music if it isn't on the radio).
>>
>>29485964
Yes I'm aware that if I seclude myself into one corner of the internet I can surround myself exclusively with art that I find acceptable. However, since I'm not a solipsist, I realize that other peoples' decisions affect my quality of life, so the degradation of culture is a big deal.

But sure, go on believing that everyone lives in a bubble, it'll ~never~ come back to bite you.
>>
>>29486015
How is people enjoying noise "music" going to ever ruin my quality of life? You sound kinda like a crazy brainwashed FEAR EVERYTHING (!) meme human being.

Seriously, how is my quality of life going to get ruined because people like things I don't like?
>>
This whole thread needs to be gassed. To the two Anons who aren't cro-magnons and posted in here: you know who you are, and we are in debt to your sacrifice.

Sturmbahnfuhrer, the canisters.
>>
No. They can contain art and most do, some are better at it, some are worse, but a videogame itself cannot be art.
>>
>>29485895
>>29486015
>we should not push the boundaries of what is considered art, rather, only do what is socially acceptable

You don't have to enjoy Yoko Ono screaming (I think it's some real fuckin pretentious shit for bourgeoisie swine), but stuff like that is important because it gets people talking about what art truly means. Plus, stuff like impressionism was rather avant-garde in its time, yet Van Gogh is now one of the world's most renowned painters. Also, I fail to see how you can get so perturbed by the tastes of others. It's not like you will be able to change their opinion (trust me, I spent all of high school trying to do this), coexistence is really your only option.
>>
>>29485633
I love how you listed LSD: Dream Emulator so casually. I've never seen that before.
>>
>>29486091
>what is avant grade
stop posting
>>
>>29486050
I can't believe I need to explain how having a common culture is beneficial for a human being.

We're tribal animals. A human without a tribe is unhappy; this is called alienation. The more things you have in common with the people around you, the happier you are. If you and a group of people go to an art gallery and nobody can agree on what looks good, you aren't going to have a good time unless you're talking about other shit that you *can* agree on. Likewise with music, television, politics, etc. When people's opinions become so dissociated from each other, nobody can find agreement and conversation is limited to the trivial, until the day we decide that pain and pleasure are relative too, at which point you can't even talk about the fucking weather.

Culture is important and alienation is bad; this is why we're talking on a depressed frog bulletin board instead of having a conversation with real life people.
>>
>>29486086
Thank fuck I'm not alone in this shitty thread.
>>
>>29486091
We've pushed the boundaries enough, there's really nothing left to discover. It's time to focus on what we know is good.
>>
>>29486154
ayy lmao, it's another "we've discovered all there was to discovered" meme. Come on, pseudo-intellectuals have said this shit since the fucking 20s or something, and people keep coming up with new things. Are you delusional?

>>29486130
Wrong. Discussion and fight for recognition is actually one of the scientifically proven things that keep up the human populace healthy. Sharing the "one same culture" is not only unrealistic and fascist, but also kinda pathetic and surely the result of a poor theory of mind.
>>
>>29486117
k, lol

>>29486154
I disagree, there's still progress to be made, especially in newer art forms like film/TV and (triggering inbound) video games. Off the Air and LSD: Dream Emulator are two examples of when pushing the boundaries has paid off. Though the latter has kind of turned into a meme thanks to YouTube, both have dedicated followings that would love to see similar works in the future.
>>
>>29486203
>Come on, pseudo-intellectuals have said this shit since the fucking 20s or something
And with regards to art, they were right. That was about the time when the decline started.

>Sharing the "one same culture" is not only unrealistic and fascist,
It's completely realistic and fascist.

>but also kinda pathetic
Not an argument.

>and surely the result of a poor theory of mind.
Well you're wrong. I recognize that other people can have different opinions, but I also realize that if those opinions are fundamental or numerous, those people should probably live in different places.
>>
>>29486112
It's far and away the most popular "art" game. The whole idea is fascinating; I wish I knew moon speak so I could read the dream journal that inspired the game. The parts that he wrote in English are weird, but pretty cool.
>>
>>29486270
>the decline started
Absolutely 100% subjective.

>It's completely realistic and fascist.
No, it's 100% unrealistic to think fascism makes people happy.

>Not an argument.
Wasn't intended to be.

>People with different opinions should live in different places.
Dude, you just tried arguing about how you COULD hide away from things you don't like but LE everyone needs to like the same things so we're happier meme came through. You're contradicting yourself.

And it's time to stop.
>>
>>29486270
>>29486203

Both of you are making enormous errors in how broad a net you're trying to cast with just about everything you're saying. Who was right? Which pseuds? With respect to which denomination of artistic thought? Realistic or unrealistic in what capacity? Pathetic how? Opinion this and opinion that.

This is what talking last each other feels like. This is why you're arguing on a Scandinavian agricultural terracing board instead of putting your "ideas" into a respected scholastic realm.
>>
>>29486317
Why is happiness the goal? Why make claims that aren't intended to contribute to the discourse? What decline, spanning from where to where? Constituted by what? Subjective in what capacity?
>>
>>29486342
Dude, throwing a bunch of nice words around and questioning terms that are generally accepted to have one and the same meaning by the people within the field in a confident way will actually only make you appear to be right. But you won't actually be right or be adding anything of value to the discussion. You're just pulling the politician memes 101 act.
>>
>>29486317

>Absolutely 100% subjective.
I bet you love saying that.

>No, it's 100% unrealistic to think fascism makes people happy.
Well democracy sure as shit doesn't, so I'm willing to try something else.

>You're contradicting yourself.
Do you honestly think secluding yourself to a few internet forums, and living with people who share your ideals, are the same thing? That the internet is an adequate substitute for real life?
>>
>>29486380
You're literally spouting platitudes and non quantifiable bullshit that amounts to meme understanding of a VERY BROAD set of things. You look and sound like an undergrad who is sure of themselves despite only having read Wikipedia footnotes and the Amazon summaries of books that older people seem to reference a lot for some reason.
>>
>>29486379
Either you quoted the wrong person or you're completely missing the point and don't actually understand this discussion. I'm referring to the person's idea that happiness was the intended result of having the same culture on a big group of individuals.

We're speaking of our modern day human society context, your level of abstraction is irrelevant in the concrete discussion of physical reality.

This is not the place for nihilism memes.
>>
I love how 4chan's been moving towards more frequent philosophical discussions.
Not even being facetious, it's one of the few legitimately interesting things on this site.
>>
>>29486405
Not the guy you're responding to, but you sound like a modern (((intellectual))) who thinks that his degree is important outside of academia, or that people follow the rules of formal logic in real life debate. Stick to writing papers for irrelevant journals for other faggots to circlejerk over.
>>
>>29486405
Yes, I sure sound like one of those people, even though I already previously described how holding certain believes doesn't mean you don't actually understand them. You sound like a contrarian virginal cuck who has to hold edgy opinions for the sake of it or else he'd have nothing better to do with his fucking time, resulting in a sad succumb into more and more masturbation and desire to commit the utmost heroic act and kill self. Judging people based on shit they say on 4chan sure is fun and pointless huh.
>>
>>29486412
Alright well, go on posting unsubstantiated opinions then. The only memes here are your and his grasp on the malformed concepts you're trying to lob at one another's heads.
>>
>>29486385
Democracy makes people in my country pretty darn happy, I feel sorry for you if it isn't working out for your people. And do I honestly think two different things are the same? No. But they hold the same belief that surrounding yourself by people who think just like you do is somehow beneficial or will be a source of steady happiness.
>>
I literally major in Game Art
>>
>>29486495
What's it feel like to burn money? I've never done it.
>>
>>29486495
A game having art in it doesn't make it a piece of art, but a collection.
Amiright?
>>
>>29486505
If you've gone to college for any reason, you've done it
>>
>>29486505
Lmao @ your uneducated ass
>>
>>29486495
You idiot! Games have art, but they are not art! If you listen to a song from the game, then it's art, but not if you listen to it while playing the game. Your degree is worthless!

Actually, that last sentence is probably true...
>>
>>29486457
>unsubstantiated opinions.
You know, these two words don't quite go together, I wish more people would understand this.

On a side note, I hope you get out of your meme nihilism mindset and understand that nihilism is something philosophers were writing and fighting to "overcome" and not exactly perpetuate as it being worth anything.

Abstraction is not worth as much as your sorry ass thinks it is and you are not better than me or the other dude. In fact, you're full of shit and sit in your moral high ground/high horse and claim how much better you are for having no opinions+not partaking in discussion of "unsubstantiated opinions".

Might wanna google some shit before you attempt this bullshit act again.
>>
>>29486520
Pursuing degree in video game art doesn't constitute education buddo
>>
>>29486518
Went for a year on a full scholarship, dropped out and got a job when I realized it was a meme.

>>29486520
Don't laugh at your superiors.
>>
>>29486539
It constitutes formal education and you'll have the piece of paper that employers will recognize as LEGIT. But as far as being an educated intellectual goes, you don't even need high school for that shit. Dude was just calmly using a term that refers to going through an education system, don't get too assblasted.
>>
>>29486495
>I want to be a failure in life
>My parents are so proud of me :,)
>>
>>29486561
>that employers will recognize as LEGIT
oh man, he doesn't know
sh-should we tell him?
>>
File: sh3_w39.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sh3_w39.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>29486515
Games have been around as consumer entertainment for going on 40 years and there's plenty of academic material out there interpreting narratives included in them and their affect on people.

It took a long time before people stopped burning books, and a long time before people called movies "cinema" and not "picture show". When you look at how young the industry is, it really has yet to find itself the way film or music has, but within the next few decades there will be more interpretation and respect due from the eyes of the global art critic.
>>
>>29484982
Couldn't give less of a fuck if they are considered art or not. They are my fucking drug. They help me scape from reality and scream and 12 year olds. If that's art, I'm fucking DaVinci
>>
>>29486539
>>29486547
Learn to 3D model, animate and script then come back after you've failed at finding entry level jobs that literally fall off of trees for those sorts of skillsets.
>>
>>29486561
Game art is way to specialized to actually be useful though. He would've been better off with a generalized art degree and a portfolio of work in video games. That way he can get a job somewhere else if his very specific career path doesn't work out.
>>
>>29486625
It's all about your portfolio. You don't even need a degree, I happened to have a certain competence of skillset that caused a school to pay for 80% of my tuition, so I went. If that had never happened I would have just continued building my portfolio as it was, but I don't know if I ever would have tried to learn a 3D package.

Lots of people working in any art production for entertainment field didn't even earn a degree, they got in entirely with self-teaching. I just got lucky with a bonus.
>>
They are experiences, and if the experience can elicit an emotion, then I believe it is art. Some games elicit more emotion than other games, like would you ever look a pong, and think it's art? So some games are art, while others aren't.
>>
File: ._.jpg (4 KB, 213x165) Image search: [Google]
._.jpg
4 KB, 213x165
>>29486700
Do you think that Tetris is art, anon? Does it "elict an emotion"?

Do you think a game worse than Tetris can be art, while Tetris, being the best game ever created (not that i like tetris, it's just a fact because it's simplicity and all that( fails at it?
>>
>>29486528
Okay buddo, let's ride.

You've decided I'm a nihilist or something so let's till with that. What you're trying to say is that Zarathustra posits the problem of the origin of meaningfulness, which is a thing only insofar as it removes divinity from the equation (got is dot), and wasn't meant to become an ism or something. Your conclusion there is expressly wrong because Zarathustra's warning of Letzemenschen is intended as an apocalyptic prophecy. Nietzsche was not only being a reactionary cunt, he was trying to posit eternal recurrence, you dumbass.

Now, if you want to talk about whether or not he's full of shit, let's talk about how much merit there is to the idea that the pinnacle of man is essentially an archetypal philosopher according to, oh i don't know,
>Sartre
>Kant
>Mill
>Aristotle
>Socrates
>Heidegger
and Nietzsche

I also have no idea why on earth you're acting as if I laud abstract art. Malevich and Lissitzky were geniuses. Klein is an idiot. If you can't tell the difference, you should stick to saying things like "abstract art" as though it is one big bogeyman--its clearly easier to handle that way. But then it would be an opinion which is unsubstantiated
>>
>>29486808
Sweet namedrops you fucking nerd, no one cares.
>>
>>29486834
Hurrrr bogeymen are the only things I understand hurrrr
>>
They have potential, but socjus and academia derailed it and went 100% the wrong direction by focusing on subject matter instead of the experience of a game.

In fact socjus is anti-gameart because they want to remove agency and make "games" about sharing with you their very important message.
>>
>>29486792
Nah, many earlier games I don't think you can consider art. But definitely a lot of modern games, by modern I mean any game that had a story of some kind.
>>
>>29486940
But "The greatest game isn't art but other one worse than it is" doesn't sound right to me.
>>
File: zeldacan'tbeagirl.jpg (89 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
zeldacan'tbeagirl.jpg
89 KB, 700x350
>>29486931
Complaining that you can't play as Linkle in the new Zelda is like complaining they haven't made a Terminator remake with fem-John Connor. And that made every whale everywhere shit their pants even after this spectacle that Nintendo did literally just for them last year. I don't really care if you think Zelda is good or not but they don't know what they fucking want.
>>
>>29484982
Some people will say it is, some people will say it isn't. Is it an important question though? Who cares. No one. Do you enjoy them? Then that's all that matters
>>
File: 1359677323821.jpg (555 KB, 750x549) Image search: [Google]
1359677323821.jpg
555 KB, 750x549
Obviously they're art. Anyone who says otherwise is a pretentious faggot. How artistic an individual game is or isn't is up for the player / viewer /individual to decide, same with movies, books, painting, signed toilets whatever the fuck.
>>
>>29486992
I guess the music was...ok. I mean different stroke for different folks my man.
>>
File: sartre.jpg (441 KB, 1436x1038) Image search: [Google]
sartre.jpg
441 KB, 1436x1038
>>29486808
Who spoke of abstract art? I was referring to your unnecessary levels of abstraction towards the discussion and the meaning of the terms and concepts/literal words used in the discussion. There's a certain limit to the usefulness of abstraction and you were giving me this pseudo-intellectual absurdist bullshit like it's meant to help towards a discussion of concrete reality (under a modern day human society concrete context, despite its subjective value and "real", it is what it is and we weren't even going beyond it).

About the name dropping, good job, I've read them all and it's absolutely irrelevant anyway because I fortunately do hold my own views and beliefs regardless of what some pipe smoking strabismus literal faggot said on the matter of reality.

All I was trying to tell you is that you're not actually arguing anything towards the given topic and are also failing to actually contribute. You're just coming in here and questioning the meaning of words for the sake of it, like it's some big shot thing to do. Acting all fucking smug about it.
>>
>>29486808
And I swear to God, I'll fucking come over and smack you if you give me the "WHAT DOES USEFUL MEAN ANYWAY AYY LMAO" bullshit. A question was asked and an answer was being debated, if you want to come here and hijack the discussion by pulling a "I just found out about Camus" act, then, again, like I stated beforehand, you might as well go the fuck away AND you are missing the whole fucking point.
>>
>>29487102
To be frank I'm running out of the patience to back and forth, my dude. In essence you're equivocating while also calling me out for equivocating. And to boot, i was only trying to say that you two faggots were talking last each other BECAUSE no one was saying anything quantifiable.

If that's not a thing you grasp, i don't really give a damn. I also don't care if you've read sartre or not, as saying so doesn't contend with what I accused him of. So... You're doing it again.
>>
>>29487156
>State that art is subjective and that its worth lies on the eye of the beholder
>Faggot comes around and says that I'm only arguing with someone about things that aren't quantifiable.

What were you trying to achieve exactly? Don't we essentially agree? Aren't you just being an idiot? Sounds like you just wanted to be an idiot and seek out some (You)s.

My dude, are you seriously arguing against discussion if no "quantifiable" things are being discussed? The very concept of what is quantifiable is subjective, there are many ways of counting quantity and many aspects of just one thing that can hold a measure of quantity and quality.

Why did you have to fucking come around acting all smug and assblasted because me and some other dude were talking about some shit you apparently find pointless to discuss?
>>
>>29487145
Here's the rundown:

You
>youre missing my point
Him
>youre missing my point
You
>youre still missing
Him
>my point
My dumb ass
>you're both equivocating the "point"
You
>NIHILIST MEMER

God i hate 4chan why are we here
>>
>>29487253
Nah, we both had a very concrete point that we were discussing and you went all abstract with it and tried to claim that we were both equivocating the "point" when, in reality, we both understood each other.

Here's the rundown:

Me
>Liking things others don't harms no one
Him
>It's not true because cultures that all think alike are happier
Me
>But that's fascism and unrealistic
Him
>It's realistic and fascist
Me
>Fascism doesn't make people happy

YOU
>OMG SHUT UP I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DISAGREE AND ARE ANGRY UGH, IT'S LIKE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT NOTHING MATTERS ANYWAY, WHAT IS MEANING ANYWAY?
>>
>>29487245
I still contend that the notion that art is subjective and lies in the eye of the beholder is naive as fuck. You're not talking about the object, you're talking about the encomium someone attaches to it because of their Heideggerian bullshit life works experience.

I'm saying there is a line there. The Soviets drew that line. They had a really convincing way of contending with it.
>>
>>29487318
Now that is a textbook strawman, my man. You even projected onto it.
>>
>>29487341
Objects being manmade things and man made things being subject to the opinion and intention of men... I think you don't really have a way out here other than admitting that we are forever going to disagree on what art entails or doesn't and that, consequently, art means different things to each individual.
>>
>>29487371
Is it really? How is it? I literally gave you the rundown of what my discussion with the other man was, and then a spiteful albeit truthful remark about what you did, which was to come around and complain that we weren't being objective in the analysis of man made objects by throwing around all these "what is meaning? ayy lmao" questions.
>>
>>29487341
I would also like to point out that your sorry ass tried to argue that I sounded like an "undergrad" trying to sound cool by "thinking" in the same way some dude that wrote some books thought. And then you proceeded to claim a load of bullshit that you think is great because le meme mother russia thought of it. It's like 4chan can't stop attracting contradicting faggots.
>>
>>29487341
>>29486808
>>29487102
>>29487156
Also what the fuck is this interaction?

>You sound like you're just speaking about things you read some cool meme people say.
>Hey, let's speak about all these meme people's thoughts.
>Name drops.
>Ok my mans, I understand the name drop.
>Lmao, not like I give a fuck if you read sartre anyway.

What are you, fucking tsundere?
>>
>>29487397
Let's see, exhibit a straw man, a false dichotomy, and a double bind all in one.

Elite rhetoric anono
>>
File: 1Y9IGn0.jpg (168 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1Y9IGn0.jpg
168 KB, 1920x1080
>>29487859
>Let's see.
>(...)
>Ah yes, just like the books said.

>It's a pseudo-intellectual anon does mental gymnastics to a statement until it becomes sufficiently alike a fallacy episode.
>>
>>29488007
Meme picture
Meme arrows
Meme episode

Anything to not engage with the recitation of your beloved experiences
>>
>>29488052
Refutation, even
>>
File: Konosuba-1.jpg (370 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Konosuba-1.jpg
370 KB, 1280x720
>>29488052
>Ah yes, the meme arrows, like only people below me do.
>Aha! I'm great.
>Mother Russia a best.
>>
File: 1464559131630.jpg (46 KB, 477x313) Image search: [Google]
1464559131630.jpg
46 KB, 477x313
This thread is the worst thing I think I have ever seen.
>>
Absolutely, they're art. Visuals (realistic and stylized), cinematography, acting (facial, full-body mocap), music, and sound design on par with other artforms, except you can do so much more with them because it's digital. You can do beautiful, intricate tracking shots (e.g. MGSV) impossible to recreate in film because you're not constrained by physical limitations. Actors can perform freely because in mocap, there's no being out of frame or not facing the audience.

What inimitably sets video games apart is interactivity, how you yourself are actually involved in what's going on. It helps atmosphere: Condemned 2, there's a bit in a dark department store. You move around, calm, but turn around and you notice the mannequins have shifted. And every time you glance back they've moved closer and closer to you. It's fucking scary. It also helps character development: /v/'s favorite game The Last of Us has you protecting this teenage girl. She lightens the mood, gives you ammo when you're out, warns you when guys are sneaking up on you, and saves your ass all the time--not just in cutscenes but in gameplay, and that helps her grow on you. It's as if a character from a novel stuck a hand out to turn the page for you. Throughout the game are bits where you have to boost her up to ledges. You do it a few times over twelve hours and you nail it down to an instinctive routine. Near the end of the game she becomes quiet and somber, not her usual bubbly self. There's another one of these boost bits. You walk up to the ledge and press triangle confidently and wait for the boost. And nothing happens. You turn around and she's sitting on a bench staring at her feet. You have to walk over and talk to her and do the boost again. Tiny thing but it adds so much. MGS3, you physically have to pull the trigger at the end.

Why are video games not considered art? The immature, cancerous fanbase and the lack of consistent quality since most people in the industry failed everywhere else.
>>
>>29487468
Because you do sound like an undergrad, you pretentious wannabe faggot.
>>
>>29485368
Because it gives them legitimacy instead of being seen as a joke and waste of time.
>>
>>29485287
I agree entirely with you. They have the capacity to be art, but most fall under that...
Although I disagree in one point... some games I know got really close to Art, I think...
Games like Shadow of The Colossus, Ico from Ueada....
Limbo, now that's a very interesting game I'd say equals a piece of art...
Journey for ps3 too...
I can't really think of others.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.