[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>design a collectible card game something along the lines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: 1449862659936.jpg (142 KB, 627x344) Image search: [Google]
1449862659936.jpg
142 KB, 627x344
>design a collectible card game something along the lines of MtG, yu-gi-oh, hearthstone, etc out of boredom
>spend a couple of weeks designing around 300 cards
>get really fucking excited about it
>decide to get them printed on physical cards
>printing company said they can only print off cards with a minimum quantity of 250
>I'd have order 250 copies of each individual card, amounting to 75,000 cards in total
>to print 75,000 cards I would have to pay $6,600
>I actually do it
>my packages came today
>open my packages
>it finally dawns on me I have literally no one to play with
>tfw I just spent $6,600 on an autistic card game I thought up of in my head and now have 75,000 cards clogging up my fucking house with no one to play with
>>
File: 1464503536190.jpg (203 KB, 1125x1125) Image search: [Google]
1464503536190.jpg
203 KB, 1125x1125
>>29473955
I'll play it with you
>>
>>29473955
>Design a game yourself
>With no QA or anything of that nature
>Expect it to be good
Fuck me you should kill yourself
>>
post pics of the cards and I might buy a set
>>
>>29473955

this place really puts it into perspective how great a life i have

thanks aspie
>>
>>29473955
How do you play?
Also, nice dubs. Check mine out.
>>
>>29473993
Are you in sydney?
>>
>>29473955
share some of the cards with us OP
>>
>>29474097
Otherside of the earth sorry m8
>>
>>29473955
Post pic of cards
>>
>>29474039
Right now there's only 1 faction

There are 3 primary resources in the game in which to play the 3 different types of unit cards. The layout is pictured.

Land units, which is comprised solely of infantry units and a majority of vehicle units, can only attack land units, while ship units, can attack both ship and land units unless stated otherwise

Before being deployed to the battlespace, vehicle and ship units must have a build up period in the staging area, vehicles have 1 turn build up while ships have 2, infantry can be deployed immediately.

To deploy an infantry card, you must have enough provision cards in your supply bank, to deploy vehicles you need parts, and to deploy ships you need docks.

Ordnance and augmentations are your basic spell and enchantment cards

To win you must destroy the opponents homeworld
>>
File: 55.png (14 KB, 999x483) Image search: [Google]
55.png
14 KB, 999x483
>>29474369
Forgot pic, here it is also an original comment for you
>>
Christ fuck you I am not spam you fucking nigger.
A.r.tsco.w or pri.nter.st.udio could print for you in much smaller quantities. I think dri.ve.thruca.rds offers something like that with the higher grade 310gs or in affiliation with another company. I make stuff all the time, who did you consult. Fucking hell, fuck you filter I'm not spam.
>>
>>29474414
A major australian printing company, they do pretty good work but yeah, real expensive

I'll check your links out anyway, thanks
>>
>>29474435
Ya, not the best route for prototyping or customs. Just remove the . and the sites are easy to find via Google. I'm not sure how shipping would be to add, but the first two often have promotions and it's not uncommon to see free shipping on the first if your order exceeds a certain amount.
How many ccgs/table tops have you exposed yourself to?
How quickly did you test the prototype before continued development?
>>
>>29474522
Add=AUS, damn auto correct.
>>
You should totally send us cards
Fuck yeah new card game for robots
>>
>>29474435
The thirst can offer quality comparable to MTG cards, but obviously cost more. The second, IMO generally has higher quality and fewer alignment and ink issues. The first has the most promotions and is usually the most affordable, but comes last in quality. Not terrible, just higher chance of mistakes.
>>
Maybe you could make a digital version so we could play together? That'd be fun since I am sure all the guys in this thread couldn't get together in person.
>>
>>29474392
>>29474369
Looks pretty good. I'd play, especially if I knew I was playing a game designed by a fellow robot.
>>
This is a golden opportunity OP, don't despair.

You already have the product, now all you have to do is sell it.

Dont spam 4Chan, but go shill your game across the rest of the internet. Advertise all over, and set up some simple distrubution system like eBay or something. Pretend to be a #nerdy numale and im sure reddit will buy a shitload of sets.

I assume your an Aussie? Go into the outback and wrangle some abbos. Set up a ponzi scheme, convince the abbos to go out and sell as many packs as they can with the promise of comission.

Hit up some local /tg/ cardshops and set up some free tournament, just to get the word out.

OP i am so excited for you, dont be afraid, you may be the first successful NEET entrepeneur
>>
>>29474764
The abos may actually be a better opportunity for playtesting if they can do it properly and you want a lot of data for balancing.
>>
>>29473955
Faggot just make a kickstarter. Your shit is already done, now you just need naybe an artist.
>>
>>29474865

Don't use abos for playtesting, you will end up with a dumbed down piece of shit. I think you could get some pretty good playtesting from other anons.
>>
>>29474392
interesting take on the mana/cost system. Do the units get destroyed upon deploying a soldier/ship?

Either way, if its well rounded enough for two people to play with a basic set then you should totes sell them online.
>>
>>29474974
The thing is anons are probably more likely to get butthurt if their ideas aren't considered and cease providing data for free. Abos may cost a small amount, but you would only be using them for bulk numbers and idiot proofing your rules. Rules are where many companies fail hard because they sit with the same groups and are often there to directly answer questions which skews badly.
>>
You should of downloaded gamemaker and programmed it in there so you could play it with anons. Gamemaker is designed so any idiot can figure it out.
>>
>tfw I've probably spent close to 5000 hours designing various card games across multiple unique game systems but too autistic to actually do anything with it
Good luck to you anon, do what I never could
I'm literally working on one game as I type this
>>
What is your favorite card game?
Mine is WIXOSS
>>
>>29474097
I am in Sydney if you want to play with me
>>
>>29475156
Vs System
>>
>>29474097
No, come to brisbane and I'll play with you though
>>
>>29474369
I've thought of doing something similar with deploy time, but I never required any other resources to be used because I thought that would be enough of a requirement but I like your idea. I've toyed with using vehicles but never ships.
What's your game's aesthetic? Are you doing Sci-Fi or more realistic?
Do you have any of the cards you've come up with on your computer that we can see?

>>29475156
The OG, MTG, played it too much as a kid
>>
File: 1440418398772566.jpg (514 KB, 903x1010) Image search: [Google]
1440418398772566.jpg
514 KB, 903x1010
>>29474599
Thanks, I'll check them out and see what's best for the next time

>>29474602
I was thinking of coding it originally but I haven't done anything resembling it in years and forgot most of the shit I learnt, so I gave up on that

>>29475040
I was thinking of taking a page out of MtG and having something of a tap system, where the resources diminish once used and are replenished in time, haven't really decided if I want to have a turn replenish time or have it indicative of the build up, where, for instance, it would take parts 2 turns instead of 1 to replenish, and docks 3

>>29475055
I'll look into it, maybe I'll come back in the future and get some anons playing

>>29475349
At first I was going for a modern day realistic military theme game, then I decided that the overall scope was beyond my knowledge of modern day technologies, strategies and whatnot, so I decided to just go for a more casualised sci-fi one

As for cards, this is one of the first I made for the second faction, but so far it's not entirely complete, the icon will be more detailed in future as that is just really a placeholder so I could see what it would look like in general, as for other things the background image will change also. As for art, it's just some concept art ripped from the internet, I can do my own because I'm not a terrible drawer, it just takes forever
>>
>>29476127
Honestly, dont focus on chrome at all when your still testing the base mechanisms. Once solidified then testing optimal ui becomes useful otherwise it simply needs to be functional for testing purposes.
>>
Gonna need a pic of those cards anon
>>
>have enough disposable income and time to do something like this

you have it good you faget. post back when you just lie catatonic in bed doing nothing
>>
>>29476127
I will program it for you, anon
>>
>>29476171
Well I have plenty of cards now to test out, maybe I'll ask some of the tabletop guys at my uni to play a few games and see what they think cause playing against yourself probably isn't the best way to test it out
>>
I'm in sydney AUS OP, where abouts are you?
>>
File: 1464756300554.jpg (42 KB, 510x427) Image search: [Google]
1464756300554.jpg
42 KB, 510x427
>>29476250
Penrith
>>
Anyway, wage slavery calls, I didn't get my $6,600 for cards from doing nothing

Thanks for the tips guys, I might be back if I develop it further so you guys can play as well
>>
>>29476370
Would you be willing to send some to the states? I'd be interested in dicking around with them with some mates
>>
>>29476288
holy shit i'm from mt druitt
>>
Cool faction ideas would be:
Robots with cheap cards balanced with few tougher big units.
Scrappers that can recycle cards.
Some sort of spy faction for board interaction but with little fire power.
And alluakbarians who sacrifice their cards for benefits.
>>
>>29473955
Would it be too much to ask for you to post a picture of one your cards? If you don't want to, that's okay.
>>
>$6,600

What do you do for a living??
You must have money to spend, or did you blow your life savings?
>>
Ill buy some send me a set
>>
>>29476127
That looks pretty good OP. You should crowdsource it and post it on leddit. Get some beta testers playing with the decks you printed and have them give feedback, use crowdsource monies to finish game, profit.
>>
I'm doing the same thing OP, haven't spent any money on it yet though.

I'll look at your game if you want me to.
>>
>>29476245
It is to start out, it lets you know if anything needs balance fixes and if some elements aren't fun
It seems like you should have done a bit more thinking before spending over 6 grand lad
>>
>>29476750
whats your game familio
originalo
>>
>>29473955
Show me a picture of the cards, im curious what that amount looks like
>>
>>29476773

Only worked on it for a week but I have basic rules and a few hundred different card ideas in a spreadsheet.

Nothing set in stone yet and it's all ideas, but it's not too dissimilar from standard Yugioh or MTG stuff.

Thought I was the only one autistic enough to start making my own card game for fun so it's nice to know I'm not alone.
>>
>>29476819
nigger i've been doing it half my life, you arent alone.
its just that nobody does it because nobody's really come up with anything majorly successful and unique outside of the major games out there
>>
>>29476848

Your best bet would probably be something digital. I'm sure many of us would be keen to play with you.

From the pictures you posted it looks pretty cool.
>>
>>29473955
>250 of each card
What did you use Vistaprint or something and make business cards?
>>
>>29476915
im not op, im someone else
>>
>>29476943

Oh. Seems like there are quite a few of us here.

Wonder if /r9k/ could get together and make one collectively.
>>
>>29476972
bad idea, if /tg/ couldnt do it I guarantee we wont get anything done
>>
File: 1458299182866.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1458299182866.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>29473955
>>29474369
>>29474392
>>29474414
>>29475081
>>29476750
>>29476848
I'm always in awe of how wonderfully creative people can be. I can't wait to see where your ideas and energy lead. Good luck, anons.
>>
>>29473955
Post pics, I wouldn't have anyone to play anything like that with anyway, but I'm really interested in what it looks like.

>>29476127
>I was thinking of coding it originally but I haven't done anything resembling it in years and forgot most of the shit I learnt, so I gave up on that
Pretty sure you can actually import all that shit into Tabletop Simulator (and just give everyone a .pdf with the rules). I'd play it with you in TS.
>>
props to you for following your passion, OP. I do think you might benefit from some financial planning, though. Dropping 6k on the first print-out of a card game is a little dangerous financially for most people.
In hindsight; it may have been better to search a little harder and found a company that was willing to work with you to print fewer cards for cheaper. If you had looked hard you probably could have found one.
Or, you could have printed the cards yourself and although they may not have been quite as high quality as professionally made cards, it would have been a better option to get people to testy our game and suggest changes/criticisms that could improve the game overall.

That being said, you can probably make back some of your money. If you sell a deck of cards for ~10$ locally you can make more money than you spent. People like home-made stuff like that, I know I'd be willing to pay 10$ for something like that.
>>
>>29476127
you don't gotta program anything, just use the assets in a Tabletop Simulator mod and it'll be easy as pie to play digitally. i'm more than willing to do it if you're in need of the help
>>
>>29473955

ANON! Start posting the cards! I'm always up for a new game!
>>
>>29475197
I'm in newy, I'll give it a go when I'm down that way.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.