[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"teehehe anon you are so smart" >"no I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14
File: 1423278193831.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
1423278193831.png
74 KB, 412x351
>"teehehe anon you are so smart"
>"no I'm not"

Any anons so down on themselves they can't even accept compliments? Everytime someone complements me I come up with some way to shoot myself down. It's automatic, like I don't even have to think about it.

I'm such a fuckin weirdo no wonder I have no gf
>>
File: 1431989857722.gif (569 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
1431989857722.gif
569 KB, 640x636
>you're so nice
>you're handsome
>you're smart
>you're mature
>you're caring

>tfw you're actually a horrible person
>>
File: pepe-sa.png (299 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
pepe-sa.png
299 KB, 800x800
>>29463908
I don't know how to respond to a complement. Even if it is bullshit I think people think it is weird when I always just say "nah I'm terrible"

I can never muster something like "thank you" or "that's kind of you to say"
>>
i used to be like this, I always put myself down, ive become more normie now but i still come back to here
>>
>>29463969
sometimes i just dont respond at all and i am awkward like an autist
>>
>>29463978
How did you overcome that automatic reaction? I'm pretty sure people think it is weird when I do this.
>>
>>29463869
>any kind of extremely rare compliment
>just give them a good ol' yeah right
When will it end?
>>
File: pepe-bee-ree.png (133 KB, 914x1090) Image search: [Google]
pepe-bee-ree.png
133 KB, 914x1090
>>29464000
the ride never stops
>>
>>29463997
a girl took interest in me and didn't give up on me some people are just lucky I guess, still I still feel like rejecting compliments sometimes
>>
>>29464049
I don't even know where to meet a qt. my work is all dudes and I don't get out much.
>>
>>29464103
maybe u should go to school, i met her at community college
>>
>>29464132
I'm 30. I've been through college and everything. That's part of the problem is I work as an engineer and it's all dudes. I never get around any females.
>>
File: 1465065596553.png (33 KB, 250x150) Image search: [Google]
1465065596553.png
33 KB, 250x150
>>29463869
Just be yourself!
There is someone for every one of us :)
>>
>>29463969
I'm the same. They don't believe me and think I'm joking or trying to be edgy. Then they find out I'm really not a good person and they try to get back at me?
They just start acting weird. It's annoying.
>>
File: pepe-bee-yourself.png (59 KB, 255x246) Image search: [Google]
pepe-bee-yourself.png
59 KB, 255x246
>>29464189
thanks space robot, it's sure been working for me well so far
>>
>>29464203
For me I think people just think it is weird I can't take a compliment without going over the top denying it.

It's like if you hired someone to cut your grass and said "hey man great job, lawn looks great" and he responded "nah man i'm a terrible landscaper I just got lucky"
>>
>>29463869
>somebody compliments me
>assume they are just being nice, and that they don't know me at all
>somebody insults me
>think that they know me better than I do myself, and it sticks with me for a few weeks
>>
>>29463869

Almost all compliments I've gotten IRL and on the Internet in the last 8 years or so have been snarky, petty, spiteful 'compliments' that people seem to enjoy making because they don't like me. So no, I don't trust any compliments at all anymore, I assume they are all fake and arrogant.
>>
>>29464285
never thought of it that way, but yep that's how it goes for me too.
>>
>>29463869

Like you say, I can't accept them because I don't feel that they're true. I don't think it's an autism issue, but rather a genuine rejection of something I deem incorrect because my self-esteem is so abysmally low.

Did you ever get that advice about trying to be positive about yourself and saying nice things to yourself when you look in the mirror to boost your self-esteem? It never worked for me, because I could not believe it. It made me feel conceited and uncomfortable.

Even if I'm supposedly in the top 1% or the top 0.1%, it doesn't feel like enough. And even when I'm the best at something, I don't feel like I deserve it, or that I cheated the rankings, plus I'm scared to continue to do that thing because the only way is down.

So when someone compliments me (or tries to), I reject it, because I genuinely don't feel like it's enough. Like I'm being mocked, or they're being insincere as when you'd congratulate a child for managing to do even the smplest things right.
>>
'I am not that smart' falsely-honest people are literally the worst. Such as every single 'no I'm like REALLY not that smart tee hee' person in this thread.
>>
File: 1425256505709.png (16 KB, 532x499) Image search: [Google]
1425256505709.png
16 KB, 532x499
>>29464558
>Did you ever get that advice about trying to be positive about yourself and saying nice things to yourself when you look in the mirror to boost your self-esteem? It never worked for me, because I could not believe it. It made me feel conceited and uncomfortable.
Yeah, I think a shrink recommended that in the past. Positive self talk or something. I've been through a bunch of therapy none of it ever really worked for me. Sometimes I want to try therapy again but it's so expensive and hard to find a good one.

The last one was alright, but she retired. The one before that I was fucked up on drugs and pretty sure she would never want to see me again.

>So when someone compliments me (or tries to), I reject it, because I genuinely don't feel like it's enough. Like I'm being mocked, or they're being insincere as when you'd congratulate a child for managing to do even the smplest things right.
Yep, that's the feel.
>>
>>29464599

How so?

What is wrong with high standards?
>>
Whenever something good happens I feel guilty and cringe thinking about it. When I get a gift I just keep it hidden for some time until my emotions cool off. Unwrapping it makes me feel really bad. I even hated christmas and birthdays. I'm looking forward to moving out so I can live alone and never interract with anyone beyond work.
>>
>>29464618

What happened to make your self-esteem so low?
>>
>>29463908
My life in a nutshell

Just take me away senpai.
>>
File: 1443555763755.jpg (56 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1443555763755.jpg
56 KB, 720x720
>>29463869
>mfw normies don't know the difference between being smart and being well read
REEEEEEEEEEEE JUST BECAUSE I READ A LOT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I AM SMART I JUST COPY WHAT SMART PEOPLE SAY
I feel like it's an insult to smart people.
>>
>>29464661
It's always been pretty bad, but in my mid 20s got a pretty bad drug addiction. adderall, valium, which made my mental illness worse - on top of psych meds. now I'm clean but feel absolutely gutted.

no energy, no drive, I hate myself, I hate my history, I'm so lonely, my back hurts (herniated disc), I'm afraid I'll always be alone..
>>
>>29464785
This is very true for me in the case of the "you are smart" complement.
>>
i never receive any compliments so i don't have to deal with this
>>
>>29463869
anon just dont do it like, idk what to tell you. its uncomfortable but just say thanks you too
>>
>>29464629
You are doing that so to avoid responsibility that you would have to embrace if you owned up to your ability. 'I'm stupid, don't expect of me.' Cowards. It's not even as if you don't have the right to accept that you're smart, but reject responsibility either way -- 'yes I'm intelligent and I'm still going to waste my life, fuck you'. But you need an excuse, shitting on truly retarded people on the way.

>denial engaged
>>
>>29464599
if I were smart i wouldn't be living in a trailer park in a single wide with four people and wagecucking as a pizza boy to afford my 63 dollar share of rent and enough cocaine to feed my habit and keep me broke even though my bills are so low
I read a lot when I get spun and the illiterate trash in my town think it's smart. I'm just smart enough to know I'm as awful as everyone else
>>
>>29465006
See this for example: >>29464947 >>29464785 >>29465030

>'I, uh, I just read fast, that's all!'
>'Uh okay okay, I read fast and memorize a lot, but that's all honest!'
>'All right, I read and memorize and am a quick solver, but that's literally the whole difference!'
>'FUCKING FINE, I read and memorize and solve and am creative, but this doesn't even matter that much, now shut up and leave me alone!!!'

Cowardly, cowardly slime. You have zero empathy for stupid people when you say this.

Or in fact much more likely is that you know perfectly well how you sound and you are having a giggle.
>>
File: 9rnjJd3.jpg (62 KB, 541x675) Image search: [Google]
9rnjJd3.jpg
62 KB, 541x675
>>29463908
I wish I got compliments..

I work at a call center and a girl I interviewed said my voice really suits my work, that made me both happy and depressed... hahaha
>>
>>29465071
And your: >>29465030 conscious embrace of 'TRUE intelligence is financial success' is so heavy-handed, it's a disgrace for you.
>>
>>29465071
In other words, intelligence is what everyone wants, but what everyone who has it denies.
>>
>>29465116
Of course, there are many ways in which to reject responsibility for being intelligent.

1. Redefinition: 'TRUE intelligence is [tautological "success", "achieving what one wants in life", uncontroversial "happiness", and such].'
2. Minimization: 'I'm not TRULY smart, my friend knows a lot more about [insert history of a country, a tabletop game, anything which can lend superficial weight to the cliche that "intelligence is not everything"].'
3. Obscuration: 'I'm not THAT smart, otherwise [would have gf, would have earned more, would have more friends, ...', so to obscure the ways in which it helped you.
4. Division: 'There are many kinds of intelligence.'
5. ...

It's all so brain-stunningly boring.
>>
>>29465229
The point is that while I have seen maybe 20 people on /r9k/ over the years who appreciate this, the tens of thousands that don't will keep coming.
>>
Anyone else feel like you're a really horrible person but when you rationally look at yourself, you realize you aren't that bad, but still feel like you're a really fucking awful human being?

Why do I feel guilt for things I never did

Why do I feel like im literally hitler?
>>
>>29465229
In other words, there is one crucial combination of qualities of intelligence that people won't suffer to acknowledge, and it is that it is: 1. valid, 2. measurable, and 3. innate. They will attack any or all of the three in any way possible.
>>
>>29465229
Wait, why do people reject responsibility for being intelligent?
>>
>>29465295
>Why do I feel like im literally hitler?

Bad case of belief in reincarnation. Possible mental illness.

>>29465310
>why do people reject responsibility for being intelligent

You can't possibly be serious.
>>
>>29465323
>You can't possibly be serious.
I never claimed to be smart. You mind explaining it to me?
>>
Anyone else here finally willing to admit they're smart, and feel like a pretentious douchebag because of it? And everyone online says that because I say I'm smart, I must not be, when I know that I am actually fairly intelligent.
>>
>>29465323
I don't believe in anything supernatural at all. Likely the latter.
>>
>>29465373
No, I think I'm legit stupid even if I occasionally get complements about being smart. Usually the stuff I get complemented on is just being educated on a subject, not being smart.
>>
>>29465295
For me it took a girl quietly sobbing into my shoulder while hugging me and telling me I'm "such a great person" in a meek voice. That hit pretty fucking hard. I still hate myself on many levels, but I feel like I can't pretend I'm all shit anymore.
>>
I used to think I was smart because I went to a really poor school and scored very highly on all standardized test.

Then I realized that a 27 isn't actually good at all.
>>
>>29465091
>>29465071
I believed my own hype until I went to college, met actual smart folk and failed all my classes. Being literate isn't that big a deal in a 21st century 1st world nation so you can stop the tough love act hoss.
I even flunked out of liberal arts classes.
>>
>>29465342
>You mind explaining it to me?

As I said, obviously it is because it legitimizes their inaction. When I say I'm stupid, I disavow responsibility to come up with solutions to people's problems, optimize my daily workflow, perhaps make some minor social change, think my reactions through. 'I'm not that smart' is like females blaming their reactions on 'being emotional'. As I said, own up to your potential.

>>29465373
As I say, perception of your words must never stop you from stating the truth. Kudos.

>>29465409
'I'm sooooooooooooo not smart guys, I'm simply EDUCATED!'

Literally kill yourself.
>>
>>29465435
>I met someone smarter
>therefore I'm not smart

Literally kill yourself as well.

Not because you're 'wrong', no, not at all. But because you think that your production of such worthless noise is fine in discussion.
>>
>>29465415
Ive had several people online tell me that im not a bad person, and I always come up with these minute reasons on why im so terrible like having a bad relationship with my father, and how I shoplift things.

When in reality I also do things like donate my money, and volunteer at community events.

Im clearly not that bad of a person, but I dwell on every negative aspect of my life and I cant rationally shut out these negative thoughts without constantly picking apart my mind.
>>
File: 1465793557025.png (43 KB, 312x390) Image search: [Google]
1465793557025.png
43 KB, 312x390
>>29463869
>"nice shirt anon"
>"um uhh um yeah well its kinda old haha um i dont remember where i got it hah uh"
>>
Just one kinda offtopic thing you made me notice. "You're smart, anon" is pretty much the only compliment I ever recieved. No one ever complimented me for playing bass in front of people. And, what bothers me the most, noone ever complimented my looks.
>>
>>29463869

I'm so used to pitting myself down that even when I can tell a compliment is genuine there's still a part of me that doesn't think it's true and it makes me hate myself even more :-/
>>
>>29465439
How do you really know if you are smart? I mean I was never tested. I did pretty good in school and became an engineer, but I struggled in school. I had to work very hard.
>>
Where do I fit in?

> get compliments
> ignore them, say nothing
> only listen to complaints, because only they will let you improve

I also do the same to others, even if it hurts their normie feelings. I'm not going to sugarcoat things, if you ask for feedback you're getting honest feedback that lets you improve.

>>29465439
> As I said, obviously it is because it legitimizes their inaction. When I say I'm stupid, I disavow responsibility to come up with solutions to people's problems, optimize my daily workflow, perhaps make some minor social change, think my reactions through.

That's a pretty farfetched explanation to me, when most of these people just have low self-esteem and reject all compliments, not just about smarts.
>>
>>29465486
kek perfect example - that sounds exactly like me.

>"I like your watch"
>"oh ugh yeah i've had it a while there are better ones hah it tells the time haa yea"
>>
>>29465464
wew lad you're one dumb nigger huh?
>like omg guys just because you failed at everything and get btfo by people who know what they're talking about and you fail every defining metric of intelligence doesn't mean you're not smart!
Sure I have a leg up on retarded people like you but so does any one with an iq above 70
>>
>>29465571
If you're smart, you'll know you're smart. You can deny it, but you'll know it. I mean dumb people will sometimes feel the same way, but if you're intelligent, you'll generally be aware you're intelligent despite whatever mental gymnastics you use to justify rejecting it. If you need to go to great lengths to explain why you're not smart, you're probably smart.
>>
What i do is actively go out of my way to surround myself which kick my ass in everything.

For example i went and joined a swimming club where even the girls do 1.05 100m where i could barely do 1.45. Now i can do 1.25 after a year of swimming.

People who surround themselves with inferior people to feel better themselves are the most insecure people in the world. Never compare yourself with someone worse than you, only someone who is miles better than you.
>>
>>29465607
I'd laughed at that, but then again you probably wouldn't want to say that to other people
>>
>>29465571
>How do you really know if you are smart?

Don't even get me started on the barrage of fallacies you'd release if I mentioned IQ.

>I did pretty good in school and became an engineer

120+ then. Possibly more.

>>29465606
>most of these people just have low self-esteem and reject all compliments

>actually defending falsely-modest people

Revolting.

>>29465619
>failed at everything

Right. I've seen the definition of 'everything' of scum like you hundreds of times. 'Yes I meant everything!' 'Of course I do learn languages quicker and can program a bit, but OTHERWISE, it's everyghing!' And so on and so on and so on, as literally ever, for literally ever.

>>29465632
>If you need to go to great lengths to explain why you're not smart, you're probably smart.

Hilariously put. And true.
>>
>>29465632
Sometimes I think I might just be a normal guy surrounded by dumbasses. I guess it's all relative.
>>
>>29465607
I did literally the same thing. It was a cheap shitty watch from like Walmart or something, but it looks kind of nice, so I got a bunch of complements, and I shot every single one down.
>>
>>29465707
>a normal guy surrounded by dumbasses

'Normal' is defined statistically.

Don't be one of those 'my IQ is 125 but I'm still average' clowns.
>>
>>29465738
I mean I might be like 105 surrounded by a bunch of 85s which makes me seem smart.
>>
Yeah this is pretty much me. Fucking shoot me.

When a girl says I'm hot I just get really uncomfortable and don't know what to say. My "solution" is to bathe rarely and look as disheveled as I feel. People leave me alone now.
>>
>>29465707
It is. But average can also sometimes be pretty stupid.
>>
>>29465787
At least you had girls say that to you. The most I had was one barely average girl saying I am cute, and one average looking girl saying "You actually look good" when I took my glasses off to wipe them.
>>
>>29465706

I mean I kinda get your feel, like when a clearly pretty girl goes "oh I'm so ugly". It's still really farfetched to try to paint it as avoiding some kind of responsibility. Occam's razor, mate.
>>
File: 1464953028140.jpg (25 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1464953028140.jpg
25 KB, 480x480
>You're a good person
-Th-thanks
>You're a good person
-Yeah I get it
That was my crush too.I don't even think I am a good person but deep inside I know I am a softie.I always look like I'm going to punch someone and grills still tell me that I'm ,,nice and well mannered''.Is it probably because I'm not a thirsty cunt slapping ass everytime I see a female?Sheesh.
>>
>>29465706
I honestly feel like robots on r9k are often, on average, smarter than the people I run into in regular life. Is there something to that? I don't want to get some sperging about how smart robots are, but, it does seem like half the people I meet in real life can't even handle a computer well enough to get here.
>>
>>29465857
Damn son. I'm not sure which is worse, having a decent body/being naturally athletic but be a total robot and let it all go to waste or have a meh body/not super athletic and be a robot. At least people don't expect much from the latter.
>>
>>29465880
I think those words need to be said in a very heartfelt, genuine, even painful way for them to feel like they have any meaning. We're all used to being told we're good, repetition of that in the standard manner feels like nothing. There needs to be feeling.
>>
>>29465706
I only speak English, I barely know how to turn my computer on. Also I apparently don't even properly speak my own language. The fuck is an adverb? What do I do with a semicolon? I can't even handle college level or really high school required reading. I don't understand Dickens at all, I just read scifi and fantasy and easy to digest history and historical fiction. M math skills go up to algebra 1. My iq is 96, 100 is average. I can't name all 50 states. I thought they spoke Hollish in Holland. Shut the fuck up, you know even less than I do.
>>
>>29465888
I have one friend, who is also a robot, and he is literally a male model. Like Ford models male model. He is around qts constantly and has never had a gf. When we go to get food or something girls stare at him and he spergs out every time or says he can't or is busy or whatever. He is just too anxious.
>>
I'm too afraid to take an IQ test.
>>
>>29465919
Similar to me but I'm not model material or anything. I've had lots of girls give me their numbers/talk to me on skype then just stop when they realize "oh this guy's a fucking weirdo"
>>
>>29465888
I'm of opinion that if you have a decent body/are naturally athletic, you will be able to attract girls, even with the robotic traits (anxiety etc).
I'm skinnyfat which almost got out of the limbo (I got chub left on my bottom part of rectus abdominis the most, on other parts not so much), I look a lot better with my shirt on than without, that probably tricks a lot of people.
I think I have a wide pelvis because it's like my hips are female-like instead of being male-like. Also my legs are fat, so when I buy jeans I have a problem because I need a bigger number, so that my legs can fit in, but the number is too big for my waist. It's probably from me being skinnyfat and not having fat distributed in my body properly (my arms are also skinny, muscles are seeable but it just looks funny because the arms are thin, the circumstance when I flex is barely 32cm). Shit really sucks.
>>
>>29465908
I'm a good and fairly vigorous reader, but grammar fucks me up hard sometimes.

I'll concede you don't sound overly bright. Not the guy you're arguing with just to clear.

>>29465919
I met a guy like this too. Apparently he goes on /fit/, and practically has body dysmorphia because he isn't as insanely jacked as some other people are.
>>
>>29463869
Modesty is always a good thing anon, as long as you don't take it too far and it turns into self deprecation.

What else are you supposed to say? "Yeah sure am smart huh?"
>>
>>29465985
> Apparently he goes on /fit/, and practically has body dysmorphia because he isn't as insanely jacked as some other people are.

That's half of fit, man. It's like the board disease.
>>
>>29465071
I thought you were supposed to answer compliments humbly.
The only reason you'd be complimented is if you are better than someone else at something, so being humble is the socially correct thing to do if you don't want the complimenter to feel like you're haughty.

Being a dumbass like you must be tough, huh? You're the biggest autist on /r9k/
>>
>>29465903
Yeah you're probably right man.And by the way ,,a good person'' and ,,nice'' are probably the most underwhelming compliments you can get from a woman anyways.Most of them are said just because the female infront of you is just being nice and trying to make you feel better.
>>
>>29465998
Yeah, he has some nasty shit going on, but he seems to be doing better than I am at least.
>>
>>29465947
Yeah that's what happens to him. He looks sort of like the standard Chad photo that gets posted but more on the thin side than the muscular. He's the type thats in those really weird designer brands that are like 600 dollars for a pair of jeans and 1000 for a shirt.
>>
>>29466013
Yeah, it can't really be worded that way unless there are extenuating circumstances extreme enough that there's real, tangible emotion behind them. If it's done out of pity, it's absolutely meaningless, or negative if anything.
>>
>>29465947

I'd give a lot to experience that just once. Fuck being < Chad.
>>
>>29463869
Me

I hate being complimented. It just seems too strange.

Any psych-robots know why? Low self esteem?
>>
>>29465947
I'm a 7/10 on /soc/ but very wealthy. So I get some attention because of that but sperg out every time.
>>
File: fatty3.png (34 KB, 131x127) Image search: [Google]
fatty3.png
34 KB, 131x127
>>29465229
>>29465071
We're in the presence of true genius my robots, step forth and bask in their glory.
>>
How many of you became self aware of your stupidity and now just living the sad boy life in addition to neet?
>>
File: 1444518803345.jpg (126 KB, 590x417) Image search: [Google]
1444518803345.jpg
126 KB, 590x417
>>29466138
Reporting in.

I wish I was still ignorant and thought I was smart.
>>
>>29465006
>>29465071
Found the retard jealous of basic literacy and problem solving skills
Education has taken such a nose dive that what used to be considered average is now impressive to the mouth breathing masses and the underachievers like you hold those that can do basic things to a lofty standard so you can tear them down when they don't meet it to feel better about themselves and their failures
>>
>>29465985
I had to look up concede. I grew up in a hick town and my parents are 8th grade dropouts so they thought I was a genius because I could read harry potter. Whch I only read up to the 5th book before I just plain couldn't keep up with the big words and length of the books
>>
>>29466429
>tfw try to watch game of thrones
>can't keep track of the multiple storylines
I'm literally too stupid to follow a HBO tv show
>>
File: 1458388812745.jpg (68 KB, 561x433) Image search: [Google]
1458388812745.jpg
68 KB, 561x433
>>29465903
>We're all used to being told we're good,
>>
>>29466484
kek yeah I think I've been told i'm shit 1000 times to every one time I get complemented and then don't know how to handle it
>>
>>29466484
>>29466512
Fair enough, it wasn't fair for me to make that assumption. But I still feel that there's often a general cultural feeling of "Everyone's great and everything is great don't you know look at how great everything is!".
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.