[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
League of legends is the biggest cancer on the Internet.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (629 KB, 906x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
629 KB, 906x1280
League of legends is the biggest cancer on the Internet.
>>
File: 1457149578903.gif (479 KB, 434x444) Image search: [Google]
1457149578903.gif
479 KB, 434x444
>>29460122

All mobas are shit, playing any moba by default makes you a braindead retard.

Theres pretty good lewd content for that game which is nice though
>>
dota 2 is a lot worse
>>
File: image.png (693 KB, 422x690) Image search: [Google]
image.png
693 KB, 422x690
>>29460143

I have freed myself from the dark void that is league.

There's no point - hours wasted everyday for game points so you can keep playing something you only 10% of the time, 90% it's pure cancer.
>>
>>29460143
Awesomenauts is a moba that doesn't make you a braindead retard, though it isn't really a traditional moba.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 945x1265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 945x1265
>>29460156

I don't play Dota either, I found a pure community and a solid game I can play and chill on.

Rediscovered actually. It's p99 Everquest. An hour on p99 is so much more than playing mobashit cancer.
>>
File: 1460873634366.jpg (96 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1460873634366.jpg
96 KB, 960x540
>>29460176

I used to play it as well. After a while you realise you don't even enjoy the game, and that you spend an equal time if not more being frustrated then actually enjoying it.

It would be better if all mobas died off, it would help remove a fair amount of normalfags from the internet

>>29460156
>>29460202

all mobas are shit, the whole genre is bad

>>29460193
I played it a few times, its alright

unrelated coming in
>tfw WoW legion will probably be the final nail in the coffin for the franchise
>>
>>29460227

>don't even enjoy playing it, spend more time being frustrated

Exactly what I realized. Moba are Pure cancer and bring out the bad side of people.

Come play Everquest on p99. Come do group for 2 hours and have a good time.
>>
File: image.png (388 KB, 609x594) Image search: [Google]
image.png
388 KB, 609x594
You don't even realize that a game you used to enjoy slowly turned into the biggest cancer on the Internet, but it did.
>>
>current year
>Playing games longer than 2-3h a week
>Not reading educational literature
>Not getting into a real hobby
>Not trying to better yourself so at least you think be delusional weigh to believe you're okay
>Being a GAYMUR
>>
File: image.png (83 KB, 441x236) Image search: [Google]
image.png
83 KB, 441x236
>>29460338

>not enjoying comfy dungeon xp groups after work on the greatest MMO ever made
>any year
>>
Where can I sell my league account? I actually thought about it earlier today and it should be worth some money(all champs, skin on most champs, plat3 border)
>>
>>29460338
>people on this board RIGHT NOW will take this post seriously
>>
File: image.png (218 KB, 310x627) Image search: [Google]
image.png
218 KB, 310x627
>>29460390

The recycling bin takes all league accounts for 0$ usd.
>>
jesus u r all negative fucks, go make ur game then genius
>>
>>29460532
This is bargain-bin tier bait.
>>
>>29460361
Games aren't dumb, there are lot of good ones but it shouldn't be your main timesink
>>
>tfw no Jinx cosplay gf

why do i even live
>>
File: image.png (237 KB, 463x810) Image search: [Google]
image.png
237 KB, 463x810
>>29460577

Yo bargain bin is FTW for budget PC's.
>>
File: 1466473396920.jpg (36 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
1466473396920.jpg
36 KB, 500x504
its a fun game to play but only with other people or if you try it out the solo way which is mute everyone and semitroll
>>
>>29460122

MOBAs are among the most popular and widely accessible/successful/marketable game typologies today. Normalfags love them. But what we see right now are other genres of games being homogenized by MOBAs. In other words, some games are slowly being made to look more and feel more like MOBAs in order to move into the broader category of entertainment for the masses. The principles of the MOBA type are successful, and games are starting to be forced to fit that template.

Take the death of World of Warcraft for example. In 2004, it was an MMORPG. Today, i would argue that it more closely resembles a MOBA than an RPG. There are little to no RPG elements left. Consider it like this:

>select your hero, dude
Log into WoW. You have a full roster of lv100 alts. None have any role playing value, they're essentially a gallery of heroes you select from. Change as often as you like. We see this also in how Blizzard has taken to describing "class fantasies" as major design drivers in the last five years. There is no TO element, class fantasies are packaged design directions which reduce a character to a scripted hero template.
>enter game lobby
Sit in a capital city, and shit in general chat while you wait for your game and browse loot/aesthetic rewards
>enter your game
Your dungeon que pops and you have a curated experience with a small team of players, shouldn't last more than 20 minutes or whatever the average players average attention span is according to Blizzard analytics. Return to game lobby/capital city between.
>meaningless aesthetic rewards
You could argue that gear in wow is roughly synonymous to skins in a MOBA but now you don't even have to: Artifact weapons in WoW are literally hero skins. Everyone has the same fucking model and you work to collect recolors. Loot in dungeons is so personalized that you might as well be there on a team of NPCs, it goes right to your bags bruh

Don't get me started on how Overwatch is just a MOBA with an FPS re-skin
>>
>>29461304
Also don't forget: Button pruning reduces complexity and bakes the experience into roughly 5 buttons that any hero/class presses in a combat situation.

You only really have five abilities that matter. Talents now look like MOBA talents as well; passives selected from a multiple choice grid, there is no nuance to the effects. Are selecting talents in WoW and selecting talents in Heroes of the Storm or League really any different? Nope
>>
>>29461304
>Don't get me started on how Overwatch is just a MOBA with an FPS re-skin

well someone clearly hasnt played overwatch for a single minute. say what you will about it, its nothing like a moba.
>>
>>29461378
40 hours logged, my dude. Overwatch exhibits all of the principles that make a MOBA have mass appeal. It's a game designed largely on the same template.
>>
LoL is Chinese commie propaganda, literally

Riot games is owned by Tencent Corp. which is owned in majority share by the Chinese government
>>
>>29461479
>It's a game designed largely on the same template.

ah yes, i see it now. you lock a hero in the beginning of the game that you cant change and then play a game 5v5 on a set, symmetrical map with both teams having the same objective. also there are minions.

wait.
>>
File: 1356497168610.jpg (12 KB, 295x396) Image search: [Google]
1356497168610.jpg
12 KB, 295x396
I play a little bit of Smite from time to time but mobas really aren't my thing.

Single player games are just more enjoyable for me, and if I do want to play a multiplayer game I don't want to be locked into a 40 minute match with a bunch of brazilian children. I'd rather play a short and sweet overwatch game or a long and fun match in red orchestra
>>
>>29461508
Don't be snarky faggot. Look here:

>pre set class fantasies called Heroes
This parcelizes design and is a trait not native to any one game. They're like the characters in a romance novel: open ended and vague enough to self-insert. The design only involves templates, this is all Normalfags are after.
>game designed around a matchmaking lobby
Sit there waiting and browsing meaningless aesthetic rewards to have an idea of what you're after
>match
Literally designed to take up a certain window of time that corresponds to the average players attention span. 4-6 players versus 4-6 players. The optimal size to feel like you're cooperating if you're winning, or feel like it's someone elses fault if you're losing.
>collectibles that don't impact gameplay
Hiding skins behind experience walls not only gives you something to strive for, they don't effect the gameplay at all which means the developers never have to consider GRADUATING ANY ASPECT of the game from the moment you start playing. There is, in effect, NO PROGRESSION outside of aesthetic changes. I'll say that again NO PROGRESSION beyond aesthetic changes. Portraits change shape. Hero re-skins. Get more obscure sprays. Level number ticks up. NO PROGRESSION IN GAMEPLAY MECHANICS.
>Monetized content
You can buy the deluxe version for more aesthetic rewards, bro. You can also just cut all the time and buy fifty loot boxes of you reeeeally want to. The gameplay doesn't rest on the money, it's not pay to win, but microtransactions are present. The game has a room on the main menu where you have to pull out your credit card to go inside.

The point of this is that these principles are defining more and more games. That is bad.
>>
>>29461664
Except rune pages and masteries are progression and they're bad elements of the game
>>
>>29461664
>>29461744

I should clarify, it's not that all these games are becoming MOBAs. It's that MOBAs are the ones defining the principles of what makes a game marketable to the largest audience of people. These principles are then applied by big game developers to other game types, toward the end of making them more marketable as well.

What we end up with is an enormously truncated language for designing a game. If it doesn't do X or Y, it doesn't fit the marketing plan. As with anything else, the future lies with indie devs now, who won't be constrained by this kind of templating.
>>
>>29460338
Can't games be a hobby if you play it with friends?

>>29460361
Oh shit, is that Baldur's Gate?
>>
>>29461880

No it's not BG but they were both released around the same time.

It's Everquest.
>>
>>29461901
Is the pvp server better?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.