[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apparently people make friends by sharing and discussing common
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: 1400326004971.jpg (23 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
1400326004971.jpg
23 KB, 446x362
Apparently people make friends by sharing and discussing common intereests, but how do they even get interests in the first place? Is it naturally something that you're drawn to, or do you have to try out a bunch of different stuff before settling down?

I ask this because I want friends and don't have any, and the common answer I get when I ask how to make friends is to join a club or frequent a location or event about that interest (e.g. if you like anime you join an anime club or go to an anime store or convention. However I do not like anime.)

I've had little to no interest in anything during my whole life. I remember most of my free time in childhood was just spent waiting in silence until I had to go to school, or on a family trip. I sometimes still do this when 4chan is slow. 4chan has been the thing I'm most passionate about in life and I'm not even that passionate about it. I'm not even big on things even losers are into like music or tv shows. I just don't understand the big deal about them. I've tried more productive hobbies like making art, but I don't have my heart in it at all and it feels like a chore.

Am I just dead inside?
>>
>>29460089
Jesus Christ that's depressing. There's not a single thing you like to do other than 4chan? Nothing?
>>
>>29460162

Well there might have been something I haven't tried yet, but so far I don't like anything.
>>
>>29460089
Sports? Musical instruments? Books? Food? Is this the only board you browse? There's no way you have interest in absolutely nothing.
>>
File: 765345.jpg (165 KB, 1024x803) Image search: [Google]
765345.jpg
165 KB, 1024x803
Video games are pretty easy to get into.
Why don't you try that?
>>
>>29460089
>join a club or frequent a location or event about that interest
This is how normals make friends. If you're not normal, don't even bother trying.
>>
>>29460089
If you're interested in 4chan at least enough to want to come back maybe you should take up reading or watching films, hobbies that you just merely have to pay attention and analyse, much like browsing a board.
>>
>>29460327
>tfw too lazy for video games
The only real games I've played were modern warfare and GTA. Haven't turned on my ps3 in a year.
>>
>>29460306

I've never been into sports in my whole life and have no desire to start. Never cared for reading. I only "like" food because I need it to survive (I don't think I even have strong tastebuds anyway: most foods taste the same to me). And yes, this is the only board I browse. I used to browse /b/, but this place spoke to me more.

>>29460327

Other than a few flash games online, which I disliked, I actually haven't gotten into video games. We did have a nintendo when I was young, but I got quickly got bored of every game I played. I guess I could try again, but there's the problem of cost. A system can cost a few hundred, and I don't know how much a good gaming PC costs but I think it's a lot. I don't want to risk that much money for something I'm not sure if I'll enjoy even one bit.
>>
>>29460364

I've tried watching movies and tv, but I just can't get into stories of any kind. I don't know why. Maybe I just never learned how to be entertained by them? The few shows I've watched I just don't see why these fictional characters should have any relevance in my life.
>>
You could become an expert on bacteria maybe? But, um, not sure if anyone shares that interest, hehe.
>>
Also hope you are not trolling mate, as I just find it a bit to hard to believe.
>>
If you don't enjoy anything, what makes you think you'll enjoy having friends?
>>
Jesus Christ, OP. You are the literal embodiment of boring.
>>
>>29460280
You know what I found to be really fun? Nerf nodding.

You get to create something unique, learn simple machines, and use it in a "sport" where your work is appreciated.

Try something out that's really multifacted, like that. Something that not everyone approaches the same way.
>>
>>29460569

So far I haven't enjoyed not having friends. Honestly I don't even know what having friends is like, but I want to have them anyway. Maybe it's just some biological instinct, like having to eat. I just would like to have people around me other than my mom.
>>
>>29460089
I'm the same way OP.

I used to enjoy photography but now I don't anymore so have zero hobbies. I just work all day, come home exhausted, eat, watch tv, sleep. Then on the weekend I'm exhausted and just go on 4chan and get groceries.

I sort of like music but clubs are too scary.
>>
>>29460600

I have absolutely no interest in toys, but I guess I might try anyway just for the sake of it, as long as it's accessible and inexpensive.
>>
>>29460604
So you're asking someone to sit around and be bored as fuck with you. If you're not interested in anything, how could someone possibly be interested in you. Work on yourself first. Try new things, and maybe you'll find someone in the process.
>>
>>29460672
>Work on yourself first. Try new things

That's what I'm working on. That's what I made this thread for.
>>
>>29460640
You have no interest in anything, so whatever. It can get expensive if you're not careful.

Go to Wal-Mart, grab a Doublestrike, some Krylon plastic primer, and some cheap brushes and acrylic paint (total like $25). You can improve the blaster by using household supplies.
>>
>>29460089
What do you do when you sit in silence? Do you think about anything? Do you imagine anything? Is your brain functioning at all?

Do you have a mental illness, or is this just how you've always been? Is there a traumatic event that might have caused this?

Normally, people are drawn to activities. Even if you don't know if you like it yet, you have an interest in trying it. "Interest" meaning "this would be better than doing nothing and being bored".
Do you ever get bored? What do you do when you get bored?
>>
>>29460722

That doesn't sound too bad, but what will I get out of this? Is it just something I have to find out for myself?
>>
>>29460737
Do it because it's better than not doing it.
Don't consciously think "what am I doing" or "I'd rather not be doing this". If you think those things consciously, it will suck the fun out of it.

Look, the average person lives about 28,000 days. Every day is an oppertunity. Make your life have meaning. What's the point of being alive if you don't do anything? I'll have the rest of eternity to be doing nothing. Use this time to do something. It's not as much as you think it is.
>>
>>29460737
>but what will I get out of this
No wonder you have 0 interests, is this how you think of everything? Do you realise you sitting around doing bumfuck all is getting nothing out of nothing?
>>
Same way me too.
Sleeping is my only entertainment, because it's free and time passes quickly, also i enjoy some dreams sometimes.
Tried all sort of hobbies i could try.
When i'm doing something, like playing a videogame for example, i just always think that i can spend that time better, maybe reading a book or other, so i don't enjoy what i'm doing and i become tired quickly, then i pass to the next 'hobby' and it's the same way.
Just dead inside, the funny thing is that i always don't accept social interactions because i think they're just a waste of my time.
>>
>>29460735

I'm usually just looking out the window and seeing people or cars pass by. I don't really think much about anything. Maybe about /r9k/ threads, but I'm not totally immersed in it.

I don't know if I have a mental illness. As I've said before most of my life was spent doing nothing, so I was always like this, I guess. Is this something that mght be solved by therapy? I don't have any traumatic events, although I was the target of bullies in school.

I don't think I get bored, but I've never felt the opposite of boredom, I've never felt compelled by anything, so I might be bored and just not know it.
>>
Hey man i might be able to help you out. But first of all you need to understand that not everthing is fun and some hobbies and interests are there to pass your time. Now theres a game called "The Wiki Game" you start from one long article and whenever you see something that you dont know you open that article in the other tab and this goes on like that. I usually find some stuff that interest me right away. If this shit doesnt help start reading up on science. Its pretty interesting.
>>
File: nnmvuuZ8Bb1sj0hte_500.png (204 KB, 500x486) Image search: [Google]
nnmvuuZ8Bb1sj0hte_500.png
204 KB, 500x486
>there are anons on this RIGHT NOW who have hobbies
is this even r9k anymore? do they call themselves robots because theyre lazy to get friends? fucking cancer, swear to god, these people amaze me with each day.

>>29460672
>aggressive response
get the fuck out
>>
>>29460776
>>29460787

Well I've always assumed that people do things for some reason or purpose. Is having an interest really just for the sake of doing something, and not nothing?
>>
>>29460816
robots always has hobbies, or some do, but it is usually something they do by themselves and completely worthless for finding a friend.
>>
>>29460795
I think it is something you could solve with the help of a good therapist.

Not to be rude, but it seems like there's something really abnormal about the way your brain works if you really can't remember feeling excited by something.

Do you ever feel happy? What makes you happy? Are there any happy memories from your childhood? A lot of the time, interests are simply a pursuit of happiness.

But yeah I would see a therapist about this. It sounds like it could be a chemical imbalance, in which case medication might help you feel more interested in things.
You might also be able to solve your problem by re-training your mind to look at situations from a new perspective
>>
>>29460829
When I was into photography I had delusions of grandeur about being really good and getting paid for my photography as fine art. I cringe now and can't even look at a camera.
>>
I think you're not telling us something, OP
>>
File: 1445615294975.png (112 KB, 522x399) Image search: [Google]
1445615294975.png
112 KB, 522x399
>>29460841
>robots always has hobbies
then you don't belong here, friendo
if you have hobbies you're AUTOMATICALLY a normally functioning person and able to have friends with whom you discuss about what you do
>>
>>29460829
Yes.
That feeling that you're used to (boredom/numbness/complacancy) drives most people crazy.
People hate feeling like that so much that they subconsciously avoid it.

Let me give you an example- if I were on a desert island with no food or water, I'd focus most of my attention on staying alive. However, once I secured the necessary elements for survival, I would spend my time doing other things even if it meant spending a little energy.
Maybe I'd go look for shells, or weave a basket, or draw something in the sand. The physical expenditure is worth it because the other option, boredom, is literally enough to drive me crazy to the point of hallucination or hopelessness.
>>
>>29460877
>has the hobby of shitposting on r9k
Looks like you're a normie too, bud
>>
What do you do all day, OP? like are you a neet?
>>
>>29460829
You do things because you either like to do it or because it's necessary to do it.

>>29460874
Seconding this. Do you have some sort of mental problem? I've never met anyone who has 0 interests. Even the most boring person I've ever met had an interest in something.
>>
File: ea4.png (94 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
ea4.png
94 KB, 396x385
>>29460906
i dont shitpost, faggot
you're just too dumb to realize that I speak truth
hobbies reduce the void and thus making you a happy person enjoying their lives
>>
>>29460847

Okay I'll talk to my mom about setting me up for a therapist. I know I'm not normal, but for the longest while I haven't been really upset at myself. Sometimes bullies would annoy me so much I would cry, but not because I was sad. I didn't think sad thoughts, it was just something my body did because it was being annoyed by taunts and name calling. Still, I haven't been suicidal or depressed.

I don't really know what it means to be really happy. I guess I like it when I'm hungry and I get food, but I don't think I feel excited or anything. I did like going on trips as a child and seeing different cities, but our family doesn't do that very often because my father was the only one in our family who knew how to drive and he died a long time ago. My brother never learned to drive, and my mom doesn't like to drive, so we don't go anywhere.
>>
>>29460440
Maybe you should try drugs. Weed or some kind of stimulant might help you get out of your head and doing things for the sake of doing them.
>>
>>29460698
No you are not. You are doing the same thing you were doing before and posting on r9k. You've been here long enough to know the responses you'll get, and name half of them in the op. You're wasting your time here.
>>
>love video games
>find other people who purport to love video games
>start talking about video games
>they play along at first but quickly veer the conversation all over the place, relationships, politics, whatever
>sometimes it's interesting but mostly it's not video games so I don't care
it's like I'm really browsing /v/!
>>
Just to know. How old is OP?
>>
I hope you at least fap once a day.
>>
>>29460917
I'm a NEET. Sometimes my mom gives me chores to do like doing the dishes.

>>29461008
How do I get drugs?

>>29461083

>>29461111
I don't masturbate.
>>
>>29461166
>tfw haven't masturbated in years.
Get wet dreams now and again, I guess that's how my body removes my spunk
>>
fascinating

tell us more about your routine OP. what's your normal day like? how many hours do you spend doing nothing? describe exactly what doing nothing is.
>>
>>29460998
I think that's a good idea.

This might not be the case, but allow me to speculate:

Were you close wth your dad at all? Even if you weren't, his absence/ death might have caused this, even if you don't consciously connect the two.

Just like how the bullies used to make you cry- even if you didn't feel sadness, your body involuntarily started crying, right? Maybe even if you don't consciously feel the sadness of loosing your dad, it could be causing this involuntarily depression-like lack of interest.
If such a thing is the case, I'm confident that you'd be able to solve your problem with a good therapist.

Here's a word of warning- not all therapists are good, op. A LOT of them are shitty, so don't waste your time beating a dead horse if you get a shitty therapist. Find one that you like and trust and that makes you feel comfortable.

Also, I know this is kinda meaningless coming from an anon like me, but I'm proud of you for wanting to "fix" your situation. As long as you keep trying, eventually you will succeed.
>>
>>29461166
It's pretty hard to get drugs despite what Chad might say.

Weed is pretty easy to grow if you have space and time, just order seeds online. You might have to find a dealer but honestly unless you have a friend you trust it's a real hassle.

Adderall is something you can get prescribed for ADD/ADHD, short of that you can just find someone with a script to sell you some.
>>
File: 1462639708284.jpg (410 KB, 1024x1450) Image search: [Google]
1462639708284.jpg
410 KB, 1024x1450
I'm pretty sure you're a full blown asspie if you don't understand how talking with people about similar interests is a way to make friends.
>>
>>29460089
if you like looking and watching things try starting an aquarium. but you need money so you need a job. which will make you interact with people and new enviroments and give you a goal
>>
can you give us an hour by hour of what you do in a typical day?
>>
>>29461524
This
I'm geinuiely curious
>>
Op is your name Gregory?
>>
>>29461549
Yep

OP, we know that you have nothing going on, so you might as well respond
>>
File: 0621 - nWdz40P.jpg (22 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
0621 - nWdz40P.jpg
22 KB, 306x306
>>29460089
Same boat over here op.

Not drawn to anything and I've tried out a lot. I just have no interest in anything.

Doctor thinks its depressive disorder but who knows. Maybe the meds will help.
>>
>>29461272
>>29461524
Other than sleep from midnight to 8, I don't really have a schedule. I alternate from 4chan to nothing and sometimes my mom has me do a chore, like doing the dishes.

>>29461433
My dad and I did a lot of things together, but I don't recall us being strongly close. Anyway, thank you for your help.
>>
>>29461575

No, my name is not Gregory.
>>
I suggest we all add each other on skype.

The truth is our backgrounds are so peculiar that the only thing we can hope to find in common with strangers is posting on an anime board when we don't even like anime.

If anyone is interested, I'll post mine.
>>
>>29461708
Why would you have skype you normie
>>
>>29461767
Why would you even breathe, you fucking Chad?
>>
>>29461659
>>29461659
>>29461659
I don't believe you.

I feel like you're leaving details out
>>
>>29460089
you get friends by having social skills and being around people. if you don't have social skills, you be around people enough and be tolerable.

you don't need hobbies, normies don't have hobbies. only places you "go" to be around other people. that means bars to drink, or a scenic place like a park, beach, or coffee house. you just exist around other people long enough and you can call yourself friends. if you want, just ask them questions, make jokes, keep it light and pretend to be interested in them.

proximity over time = friendship. yes its that simple. obviously hard to do if you hate being around people though

find others as shit as you at social situations i think.. then you can co-exist together and talk about how much you hate everything

you get more friends from friends of friends, once you've got one or two.

like i said, its just proximity and time.
>>
You sound like a boring, miserable person. I'm lonely and long for friends, but I don't think I'd want to be your friend.
>>
>>29460893
>That feeling that you're used to (boredom/numbness/complacancy) drives most people crazy.
What does it mean when you can find peace in those states?
Am I broken beyond repair?
>>
>>29461889
fucking rude trash
and he calls himself a robot
>>
>>29461549
>>29461524
>so boring OP is actually interesting
>>
Is OP American?
>>
>>29461659
Define nothing, OP. Are you literally just sitting there, thoughtless? How's your relationship with your mom and has she ever commented on your lack of anything?
>>
File: scifiscene.webm (281 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
scifiscene.webm
281 KB, 500x371
OP pick up PROGRAMMING, one of the best and underrated hobbies there is. when i'm working on a project i feel content and focused and like my life has meaning. i like going to bed feeling like i've done good work today and knowing what i need to do tomorrow, it's more rewarding than videogames. sometimes it can even be more exciting than the twitchiest of deathmatch shooters.

pic related is my game engine i was working on last week. i worked on it a bit with small goals over the course of two weeks (add model loading, add lighting, add texturing, make a simple scene).

i've tried several things in my life (writing, making music, drawing) and coding is something that stuck with me the most. i think it's good to try many different things and see what you feel drawn towards.
>>
>>29460089
Don't let this thread die, I really want to know more about OP. How is your room? Do you have any sort of libido? Interactions with girls in school? Good or bad grades?
>>
>>29462300
How was your music? Writing music is currently the thing I love the most and I think I've gotten fairly decent at it.
>>
>>29460089
I have similar issues. I really dont know what to tell you.
>>
>>29461964
No, it just means you've gotten used to that state, and to be honest it could be a good thing because now you get to learn what excitement feels like. Once you realize how great it is, I could see you developing in to a passionate individual
>>
>>29462243

Mostly thoughtless. Sometimes I'll think about something that has happened to me, but mostly I'm just looking out the window, staring at whatever passes by on the street.

My mom used to be very bothered at me not doing anything, but she'd long given up on encouraging me to do anything.

>>29462329
My room is small, and only has a bed and a table. I never really needed anything else.

I've mentioned before I don't masturbate. I haven't felt sexual attraction for anything really.

I can't remember any time I've had a significant conversation with any girls.

I've had good grades for subjects like math or science because they were very simple. They pretty much told me exactly what to do for any problem, and what facts I need to learn. However I never was good at English. I always had to answer what a story meant or how it made me feel, but I could get nothing from them. I remember one grade where we had to share journals about our activities, and I did really poorly in that project because I didn't have anything to write about.
>>
>>29462042
Who cares? What would I do with such a friend? Sit around and watch paint dry? My dog is a better friend than that. At least he like to play catch and go for walks.
>>
>>29462508
Interesting. I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but if it's true you are really an odd one, OP. So does your computer just have a web browser and nothing else? What did you browse for before 4chan and how did you stumble upon 4chan?
>>
>>29460089

You have severe chronic depression. Go see a psychiatrist. Remove caffeine and sugar from your diet. Join an acting class and then report back.
>>
hey brah you should read the book of disquiet it describes your lifestyle perfectly.
>>
>>29462400
music is still a part of my life, but i often feel like i'm forcing myself to do it. it's not as engaging as programming games. i make videogame music and i've gotten better at it. i don't find much motivation to open up fl studio though, i think it's very difficult to compose music. one thing i know is that i sorta like playing simple improvs on the piano, so i do that sometimes.

it's good that you enjoy doing it because that's all you really need to get good.
>>
>>29462632

I don't have a computer anymore. I just use my phone. I think it had just the default games all computers had, but I only remember using the browser.

I honestly don't remember when I discovered 4chan. It's just been a given in my life.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.