[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free will doesn't exist Prove me wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1463261619365.png (6 KB, 123x85) Image search: [Google]
1463261619365.png
6 KB, 123x85
Free will doesn't exist

Prove me wrong
>>
Right now, my will is not hindered by any other entity. The thoughts I think originate from no other brain but mine. My thoughts are determined by my brain; thus, I have will. And there is no external mind restricting my will; thus, my will is free.
>>
>>29447133

Semantics. What is "free"?
>>
>>29447133
I chose to reply to this
game, set, and match
>>
We have the ability to make decisions, but the choices which we take are predetermined by our genetics and experiences.
>>
our brains create a pretty good illusion that free will exists, but i don't know if it does

probably not
>>
>>29447133
yeah youre right because we are still controlled by unnoticeable chemicals in our brain.

i still do what i want tho, i dont give a shit.

this is nothing to be smug ovee
>>
>>29447189
your toughts are condicioned by other experiences or lack of.
there is a will but there is nothing as free.
>>
>>29447133
Leaders become leaders out of free will.
>>
File: latest-1.png (127 KB, 345x337) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.png
127 KB, 345x337
Determinism is cat nip for neckbeards.
>>
>>29447423
how so

dabadabadabA
>>
>>29447133
that would require you to devote the next decade to learning Torah under the guidance of a Sage. But you are too selfish and arrogant to do that, so its just pointless to even write to you and I really shouldnt but I will just say my piece for people who actually want to seek out the truth.
>>
>>29447133
No.

Opblox
>>
>>29447133
OP proving that being a faggot isnt his choice, he was born one and will die one.
>>
>>29447442
It gives than a way to deflect blame for their misery, while at the same time allowing them to bloviate on an impossible to disprove rhetorical angle.
>>
>>29447508
aren't both angles impossible to prove/disprove?
>>
>>29447528
Yes. That's why anyone other than entrenched neckbeards see the pointlessness in debating it.
>>
if you know the location and velocity of every atom, you can predict the future. Ofc we can't do this, but things are already determined.
>>
>>29447611
literally literally impossible to know that
>>
>>29447626
>Ofc we can't do this, but things are already determined.
>>
File: zsteam2.jpg (31 KB, 262x262) Image search: [Google]
zsteam2.jpg
31 KB, 262x262
>>29447133
Great bait my friend. This is probably the one thing that triggers the normalfaggots more than anything.
>>
>>29447395
I'm hungry. I can choose to eat some carrots, or eat a bowl of oatmeal.
This is not only a free decision in this respect, because I could also choose to flip a coin, or decide based on a nutritional criteria. You make "free decisions" all the time, even when you're shitposting on /pol/ and /gif/.

Free thought is necessary for survival. there's absolutely nothing special about it, but people constantly fail to grasp that because of all this pseudo-spiritial horse shit.
>>
I was told once that there might be free will, which meant that the future was not determined, predetermined, but depended on what I or someone else choose it to be. But,it was argued, the first choice I or anyone had was to accept responsibility, to choose in fact to be free, or a slave to circumstances. Being a scientist, I put this to the test, and "chose" freedom, sort of like in Braveheart. I picked some unlikely events to happen in the future, chose them, and then operated in the integrity of my choice, making it "sincere." (Insincere choices, so the theory went, were not "real.")
>>
>>29447395
>your toughts are condicioned by other experiences or lack of.
My will would be unfree if it was restricted by an external mind.
This is not the case. It is my own brain that determines my will.

As I am not unfree, I am free.
>>
File: 1446774545248.jpg (86 KB, 615x980) Image search: [Google]
1446774545248.jpg
86 KB, 615x980
You have the experience (phenomena) of free will, and that is the only thing that actually matters.
>>
File: 1463072398678.jpg (33 KB, 444x324) Image search: [Google]
1463072398678.jpg
33 KB, 444x324
>>29447133
>go to the supermarket
>there's someone handing out samples
>they tell me to try one
>it's free
Checkmate OP
>>
>>29447410
>Leaders become leaders out of free will.

Top fucking kek
>>
You have free will but that doesn't mean others will accept it. So you could say it's being restrained by society.
>>
File: 1423286725181.jpg (100 KB, 376x1000) Image search: [Google]
1423286725181.jpg
100 KB, 376x1000
I didnt chuuz muh diet. Jebus did. It's his will.
>>
thats stupid youre an idiot
>>
>>29448668
IoI you really showed him :^)
>>
>>29447133
If it helps, physicists have universally rejected the idea of a deterministic universe

At the quantum level probability rules. It's literally random. At the quantum level, if you were to do an experiment, then go back in time and repeat your experiment exactly you'd get different results.

It's like there's a random number generator constantly spitting shit out every microsecond. This is the current understanding of the universe.

Things at the micro level add up to determine things at the macro level. This means our entire world is just a range of probabilities and collapsing wavefunctions.

Have fun in the knowledge that you are the random spawn of a teeming sea of randomness
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.