[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Therapy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: therapy.jpg (341 KB, 1000x718) Image search: [Google]
therapy.jpg
341 KB, 1000x718
I'd like to start getting help. But, I don't know where to start.

How do you find a therapist? Do you just google therapists in your area and contact one who might suit you? Or should you go to your GP and tell them you want help?

Who's best for getting a diagnosis? There's therapists, psychiatrists, psychologists...

This is all new to me. Any suggestions, experiences?
>>
anyone? pls

origami
>>
>>29419150
From where do you hail, anon?
>>
I would proceed with caution anon, but if you are in the UK go to your gp and say you are very depressed and hurt yourself and you should get reffered
>>
File: 1465190958614.png (60 KB, 224x196) Image search: [Google]
1465190958614.png
60 KB, 224x196
>>29419408
Most definatly this.
>>
>>29419150
Depends. Looking for cost-free, I recommend the crisis hotline or a google search depending on how bad off you are.

Otherwise, no idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Go to psychology.today and look up therapists near you, it's where I found mine. Depending on what your problem is(if you need drugs), he/she will tell you to get an appointment with a psychiatrist.
The psychiatrist will ask about your physical symptoms and will prescribe what you need.

The therapist cant prescribe you anything, only a psychiatrist can. The therapist is there to help you.
Personally it has a been a great improvement ever since finding a therapist an a psychiatrist for me. Good luck
>>
>>29419351
l'm in the U.S.
>>
How does making the appointment go? do you have to tell all your problems over the phone?
>>
>>29419487
Thanks, anon. I've actually been looking at listings in my area on psychologytoday lately. I guess I'll start reaching out.
>>
>>29419532
I would also like to know about this process.

If you find a therapist online, can you make an arrangement through email? I hate talking on the phone.
>>
Is there a downside to going to a therapist in the us? Like, can I not have certain jobs or own guns if I have a mental illness?
>>
>>29420469
I think guns depends on the illness. But as far as jobs go, all I know is the military won't accept you.

>tfw wanted to be a badass and join the military
>>
>>29420469
Your gun rights are only revoked if you're involuntarily committed to a mental hospital. There's a huge, enormous fucking line between deciding to visit a therapist and being so crazy that a judge officially rules that you need to be locked up for your own safety.

Therapy is confidential, I think you're under absolutely no obligation to tell a potential employer about it, and it's illegal for the therapist to even confirm that you're a patient.
>>
>>29420713
>>29420761
Oh, good. Thanks.
>>
>>29420814
You really don't have anything to worry about. I've been to the psych ward three times for suicidal ideation and detox, and I still can own guns because it was always voluntary.
>>
Did this recently
Go to GP and talk to them, they will have some questions but just want to get a better understanding of where you are at and your situation
They will help you find someone you think you will feel comfortable with

Only had 2 sessions, it feels good already man, but I haven't done anything productive since last sesh and feel bad about talking to psych about it
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.