[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an autistic fascination with the history of tobacco. Ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: Raleigh's_first_pipe_in_England.jpg (139 KB, 900x645) Image search: [Google]
Raleigh's_first_pipe_in_England.jpg
139 KB, 900x645
I have an autistic fascination with the history of tobacco. Ask me anything you want to know.
>>
Why does big fat cigar turds got you higher than cigarettes while those are overcooked? Is it because they're cooked toward addiction rather than potency?
>>
>>29417680
when was dip invented
>>
>>29417680
What is its spiritual significance according to the cultures that used it the most?
>>
>>29418338
>Why does big fat cigar turds got you higher than cigarettes while those are overcooked? Is it because they're cooked toward addiction rather than potency?

I don't know. The buzz you feel from smoking tobacco is your body's reaction to nicotine absorption and it is particularly noticeable when you haven't been exposed to nicotine before. Cigars are not traditionally inhaled but nicotine is still absorbed through your gums. This is beyond my area of interest (it's medical - but I'm into history), so there isn't much I have to say about it. I'm sorry.
>>29418491
>when was dip invented
Officially in 1822; this is when the brand Copenhagen was introduced. However, dip as a type of smokeless tobacco was around since world war one when soldiers often couldn't smoke lest they give away their position in the trenches -- it just wasn't called dip and their methods for creating it was very crude. In case you're curious about where it came from: dip evolved from nasal snuff, which is an early form of smokeless tobacco which is obsolete today aside from a few niche companies that still produce it.
>>29418543
>What is its spiritual significance according to the cultures that used it the most?
Historically, tobacco only has spiritual significance among native Americans but rarely among anyone else. They had been using tobacco for more than a thousand years before the English discovered the new world. The addictive qualities of nicotine led many tribes to regard tobacco as sacred and explorers who brought it back to Europe quickly became addicted themselves.
>>
>>29418491
>>29418675
If "dip" means chewing tobacco, I think it was around long before that with chewing plug and twist tobacco.
>>
>>29418675
How and when did tobacco smoking start in Europe? How widespread was it?
>>
>>29417680
Why are 305's so cheap? Will they kill me faster?
>>
File: Pepe2.png (37 KB, 1113x647) Image search: [Google]
Pepe2.png
37 KB, 1113x647
WHAT, may I ask, were the medical applications of tobacco:?
>>
>>29418675
what is the spritual significance though?
>>
When did people start realizing tobacco was bad for them? Did people get cancer and die, or is that a phenomena that's limited to the modern chemical-laden preparations?

>autistic fascination

nigga pls. you good, i read wikipedia articles about remote islands for hours upon hours. I have an autistic obsession with moving to an island someday even though it will absolutely never happen. You're good.
>>
>>29418835
they got super buzzed from toking a fat pipe of baccy and though it was god communicating with them
>>
>>29418842
>i read wikipedia articles about remote islands for hours upon hours
Autistic tendencies, it's not as normal as you think it is. Maybe on r9k.
>>
>Showing interest in a subjects history is considered autistic

Soon enough being able to breathe will be considered autistic as well.
>>
>>29418859
>white people

Shut the fuck up retard. Idiots like you ought to be castrated.
>>
>>29418842
IIRC your question was a big part of the first bit of Mad Men. They represented Lucky Strikes when the surgeon general came out in the late 50's telling people that cigarettes caused cancer.
>>
>>29418959
I'm part seminole indian faggot
>>
>>29418750
>If "dip" means chewing tobacco, I think it was around long before that with chewing plug and twist tobacco.
Dipping tobacco and chewing tobacco are actually different things. Chewing tobacco is not ground, consider redman for example. Plug tobacco was used by sailors in their pipes and also orally, but this too is distinctly different from dipping tobacco. The overlapping term to encompass ALL of these is "smokeless" tobacco -- not chew.
>>29418758
>How and when did tobacco smoking start in Europe? How widespread was it?
The first European to discover tobacco was Columbus in 1942. The first European to actually smoke tobacco was Rodrigo de Jerez, in the same year. By the mid 16th century its use was wide-spread across Europe.
>>29418827
>WHAT, may I ask, were the medical applications of tobacco:?
Medieval medicine or modern times? Nicolas Monardes wrote a book in 1571, claiming that tobacco could cure dozens of diseases.
>>29418842
>or is that a phenomena that's limited to the modern chemical-laden preparations?
It's not! Tobacco is bad for you when you burn it and inhale the smoke and this has always been true. King James was the first historical figure to claim smoking was unhealthy in 1604.
>>
OP, how has tobacco existed in relation to masculinity? Obviously in the 20's we had Malboro Man and shit to make it seem cool, but how long did it take after its European discovery to become outright "masculine"?

Also, was it /ever/ suitable for wartime use, if only for style, or is the folly of having a lit cherry too harmful regardless of time period?
>>
>>29418842
Toga islands maybe? Those 3 tiny islands off the coast of new zealand, probably most remote place in the world. Would totally live there and teach them how to grow tomatoes
>>
>>29417680
A small question here, tobacco is from america, so post 1492, I do always liked those turkish water pipes (narguiles), are they grom before the arrival of tobacco to orient? What did they smoked there? Cannabis?
>>
File: le_welshman.jpg (8 KB, 220x291) Image search: [Google]
le_welshman.jpg
8 KB, 220x291
>>29417680
Have you read Arthur Machen's "Anatomy of Tobacco"? I was reminded of it when I reread some of his short fiction, but I haven't gotten round to it yet.
Does it garner the Tobacco-Autist stamp of approval?
>>
Tell me about the man who brought tobacco back to Italy and and who was promptly imprisoned for breathing smoke. Or was it slain? Whatever it's a funny story.

Also when dip become a thing? I'm a southern hick and do it
>>
>>29419147
Not OP, but I know that when the dude got out everyone was already smoking it fashionably. Must have been a kick to the dick.

If you guys aren't massive sperging MRA robots or secret /pol/tards, check out /his/ sometimes. It needs more people either interested or knowledgeable.
>>
>>29417680
Same here friendo, I live in VA so I'm planning on growing my own too

>Tfw i have to order my nasal snuff from overseas because US tobacco laws are retarded
>>
>>29418842
Why don't you just move to an island for a while. Who fucking cares, life's short why not try out adventures like that?
>>
>>29418860
>erp derp le nerd is autismu.
Isn't it milkshake with the girls time stacey?
>>
>>29419034
>how has tobacco existed in relation to masculinity
Good question! The closest thing you'll find to this in the old world is association with elitism. Tobacco was a luxury enjoyed by the nobles and landowners during its first decades. It wasn't until the 20th century that tobacco became an expression of masculinity. American tobacco companies used heavy advertising to associate their products with feelings of manhood and individualism.
>>29418783
Expensive tobacco will kill you just as quickly as inexpensive tobacco.
>>29419100
>are they grom before the arrival of tobacco to orient?
Hookahs first appeared in Turkey during the 17th century. This is more than 100 years after tobacco was first discovered by the Europeans.
>>29419102
>Have you read Arthur Machen's "Anatomy of Tobacco"?
Yes.
>Does it garner the Tobacco-Autist stamp of approval?
Yes.
>>29419207
>Tfw i have to order my nasal snuff from overseas because US tobacco laws are retarded
What brands of nasal snuff do you enjoy? I'm not a tobacco user myself, but I have some questions regarding how it feels to actually use nasal snuff if you have some free time.
>>
>>29419013
>in 1942 Columbus sailed the Blue
>>
>>29419207
I really want to try nasal snuff. I like tobacco, and I'm used to snorting things, so it should be perfect.
>>
OP... just stopping by to say that you are based.
>>
>>29418859
thats so wrong and I don't even know shit about tobacco and I know thats wrong

you are so dumb

>>29418984
you are a disgrace
>>
>>29419240
Wilson's of Sharrow is my favorite so far, it's easy to take and very tasty. Personally i prefer british snuffs to American ones, the flavor is a little different. If you have a tobacconist in town you can see if they have any, but it is difficult to find. If you want to order some MrSnuff is the best
>>
>>29419289
It's very invigorating and good, but don't snort it looks you would anything else. Tobacco snuff is made for a gentle sniff, it's not coke
>>
>>29418984
lol no you're not faggot
>>
File: IMG_20160620_153734975_HDR.jpg (1003 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160620_153734975_HDR.jpg
1003 KB, 1456x2592
Bonus pic of my bottle, filled with Wilson's raspberry
>>
>>29419268
>in 1942 Columbus sailed the Blue
1492. Sorry.
>>29419289
>I really want to try nasal snuff. I like tobacco, and I'm used to snorting things, so it should be perfect.
I don't know what you've been snorting, but you shouldn't snort nasal snuff. It's not taken like a line of powered cocaine; this is a common misconception. Place a tiny amount in the crevice in the back of your thumb and gently smell it into your nose.
>>29419308
>OP... just stopping by to say that you are based.
Thanks! If you have any questions, feel free.
>>29419348
>>29419446
How long have you been using nasal snuff? How many times a day do you use it?
>>29419207
>I'm planning on growing my own too
Good luck! You live in a good climate for it.
>>
>>29419528
I know that the sniffing is different. My point is that the sensation of some quantity of material in my nose won't bother me too much.
>>
What is modern tobacco like compared to the native variants? Like how marijuana has grown and been bred into being this supercharged thc-soaked bud-heavy plant, are the strains of tobacco we use different? Any pros/cons to using either, if so? In terms of difference, I mean, obviously smoking is smoking.
>>
>>29419528
Depends on the day but I'll usually sniff once every few hours. Sometimes I'll take a break and not have any for a few days too. I've only been using it for about six months, used it quit smoking and just liked it a lot.
>The tobacco high hits a lot faster than cigarettes, but it's almost smoother
>Only downside is that it's a lot easier to accidentally have too much and make yourself nauseous
The first couple times you sniff, you'll sneeze like mad until you figure it out
>>
>>29419571
If anything, it's gotten weaker. Look up Nicotiana Rustica. Smoke enough of it on low tolerance and the nicotine levels are enough to be fatal. If you have a high tolerance to nicotine, then the dose you get from wild tobacco is enough for an intense 5 minute trip, but you do risk overdosing still.
>>
>>29419546
>My point is that the sensation of some quantity of material in my nose won't bother me too much.
Oh! That makes sense. Sorry, I misread what you meant in your other post.
>>29419571
>What is modern tobacco like compared to the native variants?
It isn't so much tobacco that has changed, but what gets added to it during production. If you smoke a mass-produced cigarette produced anytime after 1940 you can rest assured that 1/5th of the crap in the little paper tube would not have been there if you personally grew the tobacco and rolled the cigarette yourself. You can still get tobacco that is relatively organic by purchasing nasal snuff or certain premium cigars, but not cigarettes.
>Any pros/cons to using either, if so? In terms of difference, I mean, obviously smoking is smoking.
Organic tobacco is harsh and unpleasant to inhale. Inhaling tobacco wasn't done before the cigarette; when all tobacco was organic, we used pipes and smokeless forms such as nasal snuff and twist tobacco. The additives in modern cigarettes make it easier to inhale and more addictive, (not by adding nicotine, it is just easier for nicotine to be absorbed through the lungs than it is the gums or nostrils).
>>
>>29419311
Nicotine has psychedelic properties in high enough doses. I saw a documentary on the Yanomami in college and the chief shaman had a massive mouthful of tobacco during a ritual to talk to the spirits. It's a deadly poison with disassociative effects that a primitive culture would consider spiritual. You're retarded. If you don't know shit, keep your mouth shut.
>>
>>29419034
Actually Marlboro was initially marketed towards women. Marlboro Man started in the 50's, after cigarettes became associated with cancer, to market it as a tough guy thing for working men. In the 20s, its slogan was "mild as may". To this day, people still think it's a manly cigarette.
>>
>>29419767
So, why do people roll cigarettes with their own grown tobacco if it's that unpleasant without all the fillers and additives? Or is it just unpleasant like a particularly strong/harsh brand is?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.