[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a literal rocket scientist anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2
File: ion-thruster-nasa-2-537x405.jpg (56 KB, 537x405) Image search: [Google]
ion-thruster-nasa-2-537x405.jpg
56 KB, 537x405
Ask a literal rocket scientist anything
>>
Do people at your workplace ever say "it's not rocket science... well except it is"
>>
>>29401532
Escape velocity at sea level.
>>
>>29401532
Do you work for NASA or some private company?

If NASA, which lab or research center do you work at?
>>
File: USS_Enterprise_NCC-1701-D.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
USS_Enterprise_NCC-1701-D.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1080
when will we finally have warp engines?
>>
>>29401532
dik pix?
orig plz
>>
>>29401552
yes all the time
>>29401584
fuck if I know nigger, give me some numbers to work with
>>
>>29401532
The fuck are you doing on a loser board like /r9k/?
>>
What was your major? What was your undergrad GPA?

Any advice for a undergrad who wants to do research type stuff when he grows up?
>>
>>29401585
Boeing, actually. Not the grand life most make out of it. Really, it's a huge group effort to design the smallest parts of an aircraft.
>>29401592
As soon as NASA stops being pussies and reveal the warp drive as a functioning system
>>29401602
no
>>
>>29401621
I like it here, gives some funny topics
>>29401626
Aerospace engineering. 3.8. I would suggest you go the doctoral level. Obviously make sure you do as much research as you can while in school. Professors would be more than glad to help you if they know you're dedicated. There's not a lot of wiggle room if you're working for companies like NASA, SpaceX, etc. for your creativity, and you won't be able to o research. The military gives out a large portion of these research grants
>>
Where was your undergrad? Is there room for a mediocre guy in the field?
>>
Rocket scientist? It's not exactly brain surgery.
>>
>>29401532
Why are all men fucking garbage and what can be done to change it?
>>
>>29401621
this is a board for robots, not "a loser board"

he is probably a robot
>>
>>29401637
>Boeing
wait boeing makes rockets

woah no way apparently they designed the SLS
>>
>>29401802
UMD, not a bad school. Ended up going to MIT for graduate though, which surprised me.

And yes, sadly, there is. Not being rude at all, i'm sure you could do just fine. But i'm talking about the ... stupid people. I swear, I saw people in school who surprised me when they spoke, they're retarded, yet somehow, graduating fucking aerospace engineering and attempting to contribute to society.
>>29401820
ha, yeah. Brain surgery is likely more difficult honestly, especially given the amounts of stress.
>>
>>29401847
patriarchy.
>>29401860
this basically. I don't have any friends.
>>29401902
they sure do.
>>
>>29401532
Should I take rocket engineering as an ME elective?

It's a capstone course. The others are a race car and a senior manufacturing design project. Which of these would give me an edge when applying for jobs?
>>
>>29401911
>ha, yeah. Brain surgery is likely more difficult honestly, especially given the amounts of stress.
his post was a joke from some webb skit

lemme find it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfl1CR5DKDA
>>
>>29401613
It's a speed and it's independant of the mass of the object.
Cmon senpai it's highschool physics.

Take the mass of the earth as 6x10^24kg and g as 9.81ms-2 at sea level.

I was gonna ask for the proof of rms of a sinusoid is equal to root 2 of the amplitude but you're fucking this up?
>>
>>29401820
I was more referencing this sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

Also, can you show some proof that you are a rocket scientist?
>>
>>29401911
How retarded are we talking here

Oregano
>>
>>29401532
Do you like your job Rocketbro?
>>
>>29401532
>Ask a literal rocket scientist anything

how much are you paid

if you could go back to 18 again what would you do differently in your life
>>
>>29401964
Yes. In fact, ME is a great degree if you're interested in rockets.
>>29401972
shiggy diggy i was over complicating it lol. I'm retarded anon, it's ok
>>29401992
like me. But, there are some who don't know what the fuck a double integral means or something very very trivial
>>29402018
>>>
> Anonymous 06/19/16(Sun)19:45:14 No.294
it has its ups and downs man. Sometimes I really wish I went for my robotics degree, but I feel like I would've been too dumb for that. The pay is decent. People are ok. Satisfaction? Well.. trivial.
>>
>>29402076
77k ish a year

Honestly? I would have went for my robotics degree instead (mechatronics) or go into AI, but those are fields dominated by indian-brosm but I believe that if you're really dedicated to something you can do it. I also would have stopped worrying so much about my future. It all just kind of falls into place you know?
>>
>>29402188
>It all just kind of falls into place you know?
I am a mechanical engineering major with a 2.3 GPA right now

What happens to students like me in the future? I highly doubt things will fall into place for me
>>
>>29402220
Get your shit together. If you can redeem yourself right now, your employers will notice you got your shit back on track, and will be glad to hire you.

If you continue that path, sure, you'll get a job, but it won't be the lead designer of the new EM drive for NASA. So, it's up to you: Go big, or small?

There are so many opportunities for you that will set you on the right path. Tutors are available, don't be discouraged from them. The internet has literally everything you could know for your courses. Dedicate yourself
>>
>>29402310
yeah, hopefully I will get my shit together anon... luckily I am just a freshman so hopefully it isn't too late

in high school I just never really needed to study and I haven't really been able to motivate myself to study here in college
>>
>>29401532

As a rocket, do you get made fun of by human scientists? Were you hired to fill a diversity quota?
>>
>>29402136
Did you meet any retarded students at MIT
>>
>>29402355
you need to find that spark of motivation soon, anon. You're in the easiest year, the work may not get harder per say, but the work load is going to be a sudden increase and you need to prep yourself for that

Good luck man, I hope you do well
>>
>>29401911
>Ended up going to MIT for graduate school

Hey senpai, sophomore physics major at Big 10 school here. Is it uncommon for kids who didn't go to a top tier undergrad school to get into one for grad work like you did ( no offense to UMD)? Was your grad program a bunch of Stanford kids and just a few public school grads, or an even mix?
>>
>>29402372
Yes I did. Us rockets deserve reparations for all the oppression we face from humans
>>
>>29402372
Keked
>>29402381
No, actually. A lot of strange kids, but they were brilliant. I felt very insecure there, but it grew on me. You need to accept the fact that there are people far smarter than you
>>
>>29402438
It actually was a good mix. I feel like the admissions looked for the students who were dedicated the most to what they were studying. I led a lot of groups, made several projects on my own time, and did a lot of research. UMD is actually ranked fairly high for aerospace engineering (top 10) so perhaps that factored into it?
>>
will having a .mil background be a bonus?
Have a nonengineering degree and was thinking of going mil a few years then applying to an aerospace or astronomy masters program to work for some aerospace company
>>
>>29402451
>strange kids, but they were brilliant.
You mean autistic? Did you ever felt like your classmates looked down on you?
>>
>>29402554
hell yeah man, will show you stand out. Defense organizations could be interested in you too
>>
>>29402503
Thanks for response. I didnt know UMD was ranked that high in that subfield. Even then, though, it's nice to hear confirmation that overall undergrad prestige (Ivy League, etc) isn't necessary to get into a school like MIT.
>>
>>29402576
probably. But there was one who would constantly talk to himself, yet he built this amazing aircraft on his own time.

>>29402576
Probably at times, but for the most part, the students there were all like me: curious to learn further about their passion, and I think that led to a lot of positive habits like helping each other.
>>
>>29401860
>/r9k/
>not a loser board

lmao

you're serious?
>>
So you design rocket engines/parts? Would you leave Boeing if Rolls gave you an offer?
>>
>>29402621
No problem! Again, just make sure you show absolute dedication. That's the key to any top 10 school.
>>29402650
It's not that bad of a board. People who come here are mainly sad, I find.
>>
>>29402659
Yeah, propulsion mainly. Very, VERY lucky to have this position. It's a competitive position in my area. And no, Boeing gives superb employee care. The people here treat me fine too.
>>
>>29402650
just because I am a no friends virgin doesn't mean I am not doing well in university
>>
>>29402621
>it's nice to hear
Yeah, definitely
>>
>>29402706
So what is NormieMcSuccess fag doing on this board? Post your id tag to prove you really work there.
>>
How are your coworkers compared to the MIT classmates?
>>
>>29402761
no, i'm NOT giving any sort of hits as to who I am or where. Sorry

I remember some guy was flaunting his position around and telling people a bunch of stuff about it on some forum thing, and he was somehow caught and his company really got on him about it. Not risking it
>>
>>29402768
Coworkers are ok. Some are the stupid people I had referred to in my pat post who probably hardly managed their degree, others are brilliant. The MIT kids were very cooperative, but I think when we are placed into these companies, we almost lose that sort of teamwork. But we get things done

Still no tie fighters though :(
>>
>>29402797
No risk in showing the fucking tag. Iam pretty sure it has Boeing logo on it. Btw you didnt answer my first question.
>>
PLS DESCRIBE A TYPICAL DAY AT THE OFFICE

THANK YOU
>>
>>29402826
wait a minute wtf

if you have a grad degree you should be making way more than 77k out of school

the average income of a meche grad at my college is higher than 77k, that's extremely low
>>
>>29402838
I said so in one of my previous posts, I just think it's an interesting place, and it feels more.. civilized than some of the other ones. We're just some weirdos who need each other, it's a nice place in a way

>>29402848
Well I get up, get to work, usually around 7 am. I go to my office to continue working on whatever task I have been assigned (could be long term or short term), and I oversee some of the work that is being done by some of the others. On some days, it's very hands-on with others, but for the most part, I am in my office either programming or testing a system using software made for propulsion. I get home around 6 most days, but it could be longer depending on the project. It's pretty comfy
>>
>>29402911
yeah, if you're working on a fucking droid to go to space. I'm not that high up, but i'm working my way up through the ranks. The negative side of engineering that nobody apparently is aware of is the whole ladder system.
>>
Is this warp drive thing a meme?
>>
>>29402995
Nope. Seems promising. Very interesting stuff, but very memey
>>
Is aliums real
>>
>>29402988
>yeah, if you're working on a fucking droid to go to space

dude nobody with a fucking PhD or masters from MIT is gonna be working for <100k

that kind of salary is literally fresh out of undergrad tier, you could have made the same right out of UMD especially with a 3.8

dafuq are you doing
>>
>>29403066
probably
>>29403119
out of undergrad is typically 55k. I think my salary is appropriate, i've only been here for 2 years
>>
>>29402826
>Some are the stupid people I had referred to in my pat post who probably hardly managed their degree,
Ah yes, good ole connections got them that job
>>
are you a virgin

do you have to work with women in your workplace
>>
>>29403206
most likely.
>>29403346
no, and yeah a few but for the most part it's a guys club
>>
>>29403376
>no
what happened

ori
>>
>>29402965
can you get me an internship at boeing
>>
Who are the pajeets and Changs of the rocket science field
>>
>>29401637
You going to make it to Oshkosh this year?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.