[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any fellow medfags here? I'm about to start med school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: medfagdepression.jpg (22 KB, 480x316) Image search: [Google]
medfagdepression.jpg
22 KB, 480x316
Any fellow medfags here?

I'm about to start med school this summer. What kind of depressing, miserable shit am I in for?
>>
I have an exam tomorrow that I'm going to fail and I want to die.

Ask me anything
>>
>>29398480

What year are you in?
How do I survive medical school?
>>
>>29398658
I'm in the UK for one thing and I'm doing the first and second years in one horrible year on a graduate accelerated course. I think I'm going to quit to do a PhD In zoology if I fail any exams.

To survive you just have to work really hard. Go on 'teach me anatomy. Com' and get the basics down before you go and you'll be laughing.
>>
>>29398408

Depending on what your undergrad was, nothing bad for a while. Just general grad school stress. Get good grades in all classes, especially second year, this becomes important later.

Clinical rotations is when you start seeing people crack. Cliques form, people start drinking and fucking at random. IME this was when the highest portion of people began dropping out.

When you start getting into specialization. Your grades, connections, stuff from clinical rotations all piles up. If you screwed up a bunch in these areas get ready for soul crushing shit.

I choose adolescent psychiatry and get it's soul crushing to the point that I should have committed myself many times. The irony is after seeing how treatment works, I'd avoid it to the point that I'd consider inpatient psych and a bullet to the head as about a 50:50 choice.

On a daily basis I see:
1.) Poor families bringing their kids in to get to get drugged for SSI checks.

2.) Kids that aren't really screwed up getting brought in by their histrionic soccer moms who are the ones who really need treatment.

3.) Kids who are probably not hopeless but will be in and out of psychiatric care forever.

Make no mistake, the psychiatric treatment can be the like prison system. Recidivism ends up being high due to over treatment at an early age.

4.) Kids who are hopelessly mentally damaged.

It seriously takes a toll on you. I don't see people die, I just see the walking dead. It really fucks with me mentally. There's a reason most psychs that work in institutions are shit. They either never had empathy or just lost it at some point and became script writing robots.

I'm trying to get into research because general practice isn't really and option nor is continuing doing this. Failing that I'll just toss all the time and money away and work with my undergraduate degree (chemistry).

tl;dr medschool sucks in almost every way imaginable.
>>
>>29398982

Unless you go into surgery or are generally a terrible human being, practice will probably end up sucking too. This is just my experience. I picked the wrong road. If I didn't I wouldn't be 26, an alcoholic, on 8 mg clonazepam a day, and posting on r9k.
>>
So much material crammed into 4 years to rote memorise that you can no longer play video games or browse 4chan for more than 10 minutes a day. Unless you don't care about the 200 grand debt you'll be paying for the next 20 years.
>>
>>29398408

I made it through 2 years of med school and flunked out

I absolutely hated it, learning cellular biology was very dull, anatomy was boring, and interviewing patients was a nightmare. They say one thing yet mean another, and hide symptoms.

The stuff isn't particularly bad when you read over it, but there is just so much. Most of the people I met were pretty nice, and the lecturers are terrible. Mostly foreign with thick accents so you have to learn it by yourself anyway.

if you really want to do it you will be fine, I know a few people who struggled who are doctors now. It became apparent that it just wasn't for me and I am glad I left.
>>
>>29399130

Should add, this was in the UK. Went fresh out of high school.
>>
>>29399037

In fact I've come to realize I got involved on this board as a form of self-flagellation. I've observed many of the skype groups, met people, etc. I'm way older than the usual demographic for this board.

Seeing familiar pathologies over the internet hurts. Hearing about how shitty most practicing psychs are hurts. It's what I deserve though. In all seriousness med school made me believe in god. A year ago I was literally National Shrine of The Divine Mercy at every opportunity, even calling in sick to go. At this point I'm almost positive I have le meme PTSD.
>>
OP here.

All of this sounds pretty fucking terrible. I should mention that I will be attending a U.S. MD school. I'm hoping to do well enough to match into radiology so that I can have minimal patient contact. I dream of being left alone in a little private office looking at imagine studies all day and dictating super short notes on a microphone while sipping coffee, stopping only to pick up the occasional phone call.
>>
>>29399496

In the UK, patient contact is an exam in the form of an OSCE - taking a history and performing a physical examination on a real person from day 1. In later years, you have to perform procedures such as injections / genital exams on plastic models and talk to the plastic models as you do it.

Communication skills are crucial, people resit entire years because they fail OSCEs and pass everything else
>>
med school isn't that bad. medical students just tend to over exaggerate their suffering and in general are whiny bitches.

unless you're going for some top tier shit like derm or optho, its pretty easy to cruise by
>>
why not roll nurse instead. if you go to grad school and specialize in the right thing you'll make as much as a doctor anyway with a lot less effort
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.