[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "successful" aesthetic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: business-people-4565288.jpg (127 KB, 1300x1078) Image search: [Google]
business-people-4565288.jpg
127 KB, 1300x1078
Any other wagies here that have noticed an alarming trend in who gets hired and promoted in the good jobs (i.e. positions with livable income and room for career development)?

I was just browsing through LinkedIn and noticed how there are so many conventionally good looking people with job titles such as "Account Manager", "<whatever> Supervisor", etc., even in technical fields. The women look like Stacies and the men look like Chads, for lack of a better description. They're either pretty or dominant looking, and its clearly not representative of fair hiring, all else being equal.

Judging by the over-representation of attractive people in these positions, you'd think that less attractive people simply aren't as intelligent or don't try as hard, or some nonsense such as that.

As for me, i'm a balding, scrawny manlet with glasses and a babyface, and it has been BRUTAL trying to claw my way into remotely livable salary in the corporate world (working in computer science field); i get bullied at work, never get praise or raises (despite objectively good work), and basically have to job hop every 1.5 years or so before getting pushed out of the company.

I just need to commiserate about this to someone. Here's a relevant article as well

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4d3b1346-2c5b-11e5-8613-e7aedbb7bdb7.html#axzz4C40daWSH
>>
>>29398354
Most of these titles are for positions where the actual work is a bit shameful and the company gives the guy/girl a good sounding title (which costs nothing) such as project manager to compensate or to lure them in. In fact what most of these people are doing is various boring paperwork with very little technical or other professional knowledge. tl;dr usually titles are "fake".
>>
>>29398453

fair enough, but the point is that they keep these people around, and pay them decent money as well.

These people don't seem to be "weeded out" at any stage of the process, and can simply get comfortable in their career.

It just sucks knowing that there is such preferential treatment, particularly when it impacts one's financial security.
>>
>>29398496
I would agree that how much you're paid depends on how 'valuable' you seem which includes the looks and stuff. It's a subconscious bias (an invisible hierarchy forms and we give the people at the top more). However if you have sufficient technical expertise you should do OK (I'm assuming you're a programmer or sysadmin). The problem could also lie with your technical skills or some other weird shit. Can you elaborate more on your experiences?
>>
I've notice lots of Stacey's are "marketing managers"
>>
File: 1443041384295.webm (2 MB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1443041384295.webm
2 MB, 540x720
halo effect in action
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.