[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever hear voices that aren't there? I work in mental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9
File: 1462298621887.jpg (214 KB, 727x1247) Image search: [Google]
1462298621887.jpg
214 KB, 727x1247
Do you ever hear voices that aren't there?
I work in mental health and I'd find it super interesting if you could describe the general phenomenology of your experiences by answering the follow questions:

1.Do they come from outside or inside you're head (or both)?

2. Are the voices familiar? Do you know the people (family, famous people)?

3. How many distinct different voices do you hear and do you hear mumbling\crowds?

4. How frequent are they and are they generally worse\better at different times and places?

5. Can you interact with your voices\ how much control do you have over your voices?

6. Are they negative or positive (or both)?

7. Do they tell you to do things or comment on what you are doing (or both)

8. Do you have ways to cope with them (pls explain)?

9. Do you hear things other than voices such as music or clicking and banging (pls elaborate)?
>>
>>29392123
>1.Do they come from outside or inside you're head (or both)?
Inside. I mean they're definitely not located in space, like coming from somewhere around me.
>2. Are the voices familiar? Do you know the people (family, famous people)?
Fictional characters I write about. Never real people.
>3. How many distinct different voices do you hear and do you hear mumbling\crowds?
Usually one or two.
>4. How frequent are they and are they generally worse\better at different times and places?
I guess like once every two weeks. I have to be under the influence of something to get in that state though. Either that or just critically exhausted. Generally my mind needs to be numbed.
>5. Can you interact with your voices\ how much control do you have over your voices?
I have no control over what they say but I can fully interact with them, they will respond to anything I say to them.

>6. Are they negative or positive (or both)?
They can be strict, but generally seem benevolent. I more often perceive them as trying to be helpful than as trying to make me feel bad. I'm not afraid of them at all.

>7. Do they tell you to do things or comment on what you are doing (or both)
The voice that tells me to do things and comments on things I do is the one I externalize (like an Asperger type situation) but have no control over. The internal voices do comment and give advice on my life sometimes, but they seem more preoccupied with general topics.

>8. Do you have ways to cope with them (pls explain)?
My way of coping with them is I find it fascinating, interesting and inspiring. I'm not hostile towards it.

>9. Do you hear things other than voices such as music or clicking and banging (pls elaborate)?
I sometimes ascribe patterns to noises until they sound almost like music, but that's your general autismo trait.
>>
File: 1464369318481.jpg (588 KB, 1280x1875) Image search: [Google]
1464369318481.jpg
588 KB, 1280x1875
1. Outside
2. Yes, almost always
3. >do you hear mumbling\crowds?
Yes
4. >How frequent are they
Couple times a week
>are they generally worse\better at different times and places?
Yes, they are worse (stronger) when I'm alone
5. >Can you interact with your voices
Nope.
6. Neutral or negative
7. They cry my name
8. Ignoring?
9. Yes, door knocks, bangs, etc.
>>
>>29392123
> 1.Do they come from ...?
Outside but it seems to come from all directions. Kinda like the bells of a Church seems to be all around you when you're near.

> 2. Are the voices familiar?
No. Genderless.

> 3. How many distinct different voices do you hear and do you hear mumbling\crowds?
One voice, very clear and articulate. No mumbling or indistinct noise.

> 4. How frequent are they ...
Less than once a year, only in time of dire needs.

> 5. Can you interact with your voices\ how much control do you have over your voices?
None.

> 6. Are they negative or positive (or both)?
Positive.

> 7. Do they tell you to do things or comment on what you are doing (or both)
Always telling me to stop doing something that I'm doing. Told me not to an Hero. Told me to live without fear.

> 8. Do you have ways to cope with them.
They had been but positive so far.

> 9. Do you hear things other than voices such as music or clicking and banging (pls elaborate)?
No. I'm hypersensitive to sounds, easily stressed and tired when exposed to it and can react violentely at times.
>>
1. Inside my head
2. Sounds like a crowd of voices sometimes idk
3. Crowds
4. It happened a lot a few years ago when I had anxiety attacks, now it only happens like once every 1-2 months at extreme points of anxiety
5. I breath slowly to make it go away, try to calm myself
6. If I'm in a good mood, I imagine voices saying good things about me, if I'm in a bad mood then I imagine they're calling me a fucked up psycho, autist, etc
7. Same as above
8. Breath slowly, try to calm myself and tell myself they're a hallucination
9. No

I have never taken medication for this, never told my doctor, but I was on lexapro for anxiety and it made me feel like shit. I self medicate with occasional use of piracetam, phenibut, and kava kava. As I said, I have gotten better in recent years so this only happens like 1 or 2 times a year at points of extreme stress (i.e. 2 coworkers got fired, I was hearing crowd voices and getting scared bout being fired until my boss told me how I have been doing such a good job at work lately, calmed me right down)
>>
>>29392123
>I work in mental health

You're not even a psychiatrist. You're probably a bullshitting, branwashing 'psychologist' or 'psychotherapist'. You literally make people worse off by your refusal to stress farmacotherapy. Not to mention that your thread betrays the obnoxious, gossipy romanticization of mental illness which really makes me sick.
>>
>>29394081
>>29392123
Not to mention that for your gratuitous dropping of 'phenomenology' where the sentence would be shorter and simpler without it ('describe it') I hate you specially.
>>
>>29394040
Also, when I hear someone talking "outside of my hearing range" where I can no longer clearly hear what they are saying, I sometimes hallucinate what they are saying (something good or something bad about me). I have actually stopped doing this for the most part, thanks to meditation and self-help, basically studying and analyzing myself to realize how irrational it was to try to tell what people are saying about me, and the fact that I am not the center of the world, so the chance that people around me are always talking about me is very low....also people don't talk about you if there is any chance they can hear you, usually. Maybe if they are drunk or high, sober people are aware that a person might hear you.
>>
Post more pictures of girl if possible.

I don't hear voices outside of the characters I write.
>>
>>29394081
Why is the idea of cognitive patterns not mellowed out into a flatline devoid of identity by the Jew's chemicals so offensive to you?

I mean nobody in this thread sounds like they're gonna murder someone unless they get pumped with heavy drugs. So what's the problem with them not wanting to do that?
>>
>>29394081
I'm actually just a nurse. I just try to help people.
>>
>>29394280
>Why is the idea of cognitive patterns not mellowed out into a flatline devoid of identity by the Jew's chemicals

I have zero interest in engaging your generic backpedalling of 'MEDICINE IS EVIL MIND-DESTROYING OPRESSIVE JEWRY!!! Er--I mean-- medicine is only evil oppression when it's misused', you anti-psychiatric scum.

I doubt you've ever even seen a schizophrenic person.
>>
>>29394280
I mean I kinda hate psychology just as much as I hate psychiatry. First is a pitiful attempt to describe the human condition that should have never taken a single step outside philosophy. The second is an ideological tool for systems to pump people who refuse to or can't go to work with chemicals until they feel like working again. Or to simply eliminate dissonant patterns that are seriously undermining the dominant ideological narrative. This is what psychiatry has always been about, it only changes based on the ideology it serves and right now that ideology is capitalism.

Still, someone who wants to understand rather than alter consciousness gives me less paranoia.
>>
>>29394359
No you slime, you just want to jerk off your 'I'm so open-minded and tolerant, I'm interested in the peculiarities of human mind, mentally ill people are so sensitive, their minds are so complex, I'm just curious' special snowflakiness. Die.
>>
>>29394417
>>29394359
...Mental illness is nothing to gawk at, and justifying it by 'just wanting to help' is just stomach-turning.
>>
>>29394378
>I doubt you've ever even seen a schizophrenic person.

I am all in favor of altering brain patterns of those who pose a serious threat to themselves and others, but psychiatry doesn't do that- psychiatry hooks kids on pills and gives soccer moms their daily fix. Asking me to respect that discipline is ridiculous.
>>
>>29394437
You read way too much into people's posts, acting like you can discern every motivation and opinion someone has based on half-ironic ramblings on a taiwanese gif file board.

Doesn't that signify some kind of a personality disorder? A narcissistic one, perhaps?
>>
>>29394397
>>29394447
>The second is an ideological tool for systems to pump people who refuse to or can't go to work with chemicals until they feel like working again. Or to simply eliminate dissonant patterns that are seriously undermining the dominant ideological narrative. This is what psychiatry has always been about, it only changes based on the ideology it serves and right now that ideology is capitalism.

>seriously undermining the dominant ideological narrative

Yeah, a woman ranting at the top of her lungs how there are secret tunnels connecting the hospital's buildings is totally on to some society-shattering change.
>>
>>29394488
>'have you considered that you might be wrong'
>generic appeal to ignorance

Yeah, a mental 'professional' it is.
>>
>>29392123
The girl in your pic op, is DISGUSTING! THAT GUT OVERHANG
>>
>>29392123
i much rather listen to various songs inside my head.
im hearing this song "cant you see my girl is a fantasy nogo dancer "
im pretty sure its snoop dogg who does the voices but im not sure
>>
>>29394511
>>29394488
(Also if you should try to match the diversity of gratuitous diagnoses I've been given on 4chan, beware of exceeding the post limit.)
>>
>>29394489
Nah but a middle-aged woman realizing her life is shit kinda is society-shattering. But then she gets her fix and it's all good again.

As long as hyperdiagnosis and corporate pharma product shilling is a thing, I cannot consider psychiatry anything but an industry. You believe "abuse" is when a doc goes berserk and prescribes the wrong pills which could kill their patient. That's not abuse. The whole system is designed for abuse.
>>
>>29392123
Yes, it happens actually really often.

1. Outside
2. No
3. Male and Female voices, I never noticed if they are the same voice, never crowds/mumbles.
4. About once or twice per month, they have been the same for a couple of years now.
5. Can't interact with them.
6. Neither positive or Negative, they just call my name and that's it.
7. No interaction as I previously stated.
8. I just fuck off, forget about it, it was only my imagination and go about my life.
9. I'll sometimes hear keys rustling on the lock of my front door, faint knocks to the door and thats about it.

Can you tell something about this?
>>
>>29394567
Ever since you first caught notice of the concept of psychiatry, you have never done a single quantification of your claims (amount of 'hyperdiagnoses', likelihood to measurably impair the brain or other systems, ...). You have zero interest in objective truth; you remain on the level of 'some...'. You are generic.
>>
>>29394417
I agree in part.

I am interested in the the human mind. However, I would disagree with your accusation that I believe mentally ill people to be "more sensitive" or more "complex."
>>
>>29394521
I like a bit of gut.
>>
>>29394511
shrug, if you haven't considered the possibility that you might right now be arguing with three roleplaying 15 year-olds then you definitely take shit too seriously. I wasn't making le logical fallacy, I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is that you believe you have the backgrounds and belief system of everyone in here figured out (which in itself is a rather nasty ad hominem on your part anyway, ain't it?)
>>
>>29394597
>I am interested in the the human mind.

Bullshit. If you were interested in the mind, you would study the brain. As it is, you just seek sensation. I've seen a lot of armchair psychologists rambling about 'the relation behind psychosis and the mind and the disintegration of the self', only so to win shock points by writing on a subject that would sell well. Think psychoanalysis and such. True knowledge -- and true help -- lies in neurology. Which you have zero interest in.

>>29394633
>I wasn't making le logical fallacy, I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is that you believe you have the backgrounds and belief system of everyone in here figured out

'I wasn't appealing to ignorance, I was just appealing to ignorance.'

Go to bed.
>>
>>29394397
I hear this argument frequently. Blah blah psychiatry is the government controlling the population.

Well sorry to burst your incredible insight but yes that is what it is.

I work with people who are trying to kill other people because of their "mental illness" or whatever you want to call it. We as a society have a duty to protect people from this and help these people who are at risk.

I concede that it's a pretty unspecific science at the moment but it's making progress and becoming less medication orientated. Things take time.
>>
>>29394669
Friendly reminder that you are talking to edgy teens who have never seen a mentally ill person, anon.
>>
>>29394651
why are positivists always the saltiest people ever? Is it something about brain chemistry?
>>
File: 1466324268963.jpg (161 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1466324268963.jpg
161 KB, 720x720
>>29392123
1.Inside
2.It's my voice. Sometimes.
4.Depends how my day goes. If I fuck up too bad they torment me.
5.I can ignore them to a degree
6.Negative
7.Both
8.Ignore them
9.No
>>
>>29394706
Insults can be entertaining, or they can be boring. Yours're the latter.
>>
>>29394719
and attitudes can be pretentious or authoritative. yours is the former.
>>
>>29394651
Well perhaps i should have said I am interested in the brain and how it impacts human behaviour. I don't have to be interested in one thing to do one thing.

Pure neurology is not sufficient to actually help people at this current moment in time.

I just help people get through a crisis point in their lives, maybe make em a cup of tea and help them sort their finances out.

It's a very practical job and requires an emotional intelligence you seem oblivious to.
>>
>>29394775
>emotional intelligence

It takes zero intelligence to spout drive-degenerative 'consider letting go' and 'why is it so important to you' and 'why do you care so much' and 'why are you so sure that you should do this'.

As opposed to desire to drag other people down to your level.
>>
>>29394679
I know. Being reasonable and understanding real life practicalitiesis not 4chans strong point.
>>
>>29394613
EWWWWWWW WHY
Mycommentistotesoriginalfuckyourobott
>>
>>29394802
I think it takes some intelligence to at least speak mate.
>>
>>29394775 >>29394830
>>29394802
In other words, manipulating another person into dropping their problem altogether is not help. It's hurting them. Whenever someone approached you with a school, or relationship, or job, or health, problem, you just brushed them off with 'maybe it is not as important as it seems'. I would never meddle with someone's priorities like that. Someone has stated his desire for his wife to have more sex with them -- pass a geography exam -- make their son earn more? I can only ever accept that desire and provide factual solutions that would solve it. But the rot of society that is you will in their revolting arrogance gives themselves the right to imply that 'perhaps they should consider the motivations leading them to want that'. I would never, ever, in my life do that. Problems are to be solved not dismissed. Cowards.
>>
>>29394802
Your concept of what a mental health professional does is clearly limited.

Sometimes all i do is sit and watch someone and then if they start trying to chop their dick of with a pencil sharpener I stop them. Usuaully when they start feeling a bit better they thank me for it and I feel good and everyones happy.
>>
>>29394890
'In my job, I don't only tell people to care less... sometimes I also do nothing!!!'

Wow.

Not to mention that you appealed to ignorance again, 'I might be doing more than you think'. The depth to which it is internalized and automatized continue to stun me.
>>
>>29394920
>The depth to which [appeal to ignorance] is internalized and automatized

*in mental 'professionals'
>>
>>29394888
Jesus Christ man. Someones had a bad experience with psychiatry...

Your coming into this with a lot of preconceived notions. That is not at all the approach psychiatry takes. They do not tell people simply to dismiss their problems.
>>
>>29394946
>Your coming into this with a lot of preconceived notions.

Appeal to ignorance, iteration # 129,044,213.

But go on, hit me with your 'not all psychiatrists'.
>>
>>29394920
Doing nothing is one of life's greatest skills. You should have considered it before you started embarassing yourself.
>>
>>29394985
>Doing nothing is one of life's greatest skills.

Oh God, we've got a Buddhist.

'I-I totally meant by that that doing nothing is one of life's greatest skills *when it's called-for and necessary*! Of course I didn't mean to connote that passivity is good in itself only to backpedal out of it! What gave you the idea?!'

Everything that begins with 'psycho-' as opposed to 'neuro-' is trash.
>>
>>29394920
You've yet to even prove that you are smart.

>>29394985
This anon has proven they are wise.

But go ahead, sperg on about how this post contains seven logical fallacies. I'm sure some fellow analytics enthusiast out there is nodding respectfully at the screen right now as we type
>>
>both
sometimes
3. How many distinct different voices do you hear and do you hear mumbling\crowds?
>not many, no mumble
4. How frequent are they and are they generally worse\better at different times and places?
>infrequent, doesn't get better or worse in diff locations
5. Can you interact with your voices\ how much control do you have over your voices?
>yes I can interact but also have control (i realize they are not real when talking to them)
>both
>both
>not really but they don't affect me negatively, I realize it's in my head
9. Do you hear things other than voices such as music or clicking and banging (pls elaborate)?
>screeching sometimes, like noise of car wreck or buzzsaw
>>
>>29395059
>teeth-achingly generic Buddhist 'stilling the mind is true awareness'
>wisdom

You must be a woman. I refuse to believe you are a man.
>>
>>29394977
Well I only need one example to dispell it.

A man walks into a mental health unit. He is suffering from auditory hallucinations telling him he is worthless and that he has to kill his parents in order to save himself from the eternal fires of hell. He admits that he has been walking around with a knife and has practiced stabbing a various fruit in the night. His parents have contacted the ward and stated that they fear for their lives and if he returns to the family home.

The guy gets detained for assessment and to reduce the immediate risk of harm to others and himself.

THIS is not dimissing someones problems and is something that happens every day, specifically the bit about fruit,
>>
>>29395085
I clearly referred to communication -- to what psychiatrists imply to their patients in discussion. Of course they apply medication and detention.
>>
File: 1455541118590.png (221 KB, 557x553) Image search: [Google]
1455541118590.png
221 KB, 557x553
>>29392123
Outside I guess, more like downstairs and distant places.
I think I heard my dad once, that was pretty spooky.
>3. How many distinct different voices do you hear and do you hear mumbling\crowds?
Not that many.
>4. How frequent are they and are they generally worse\better at different times and places?
Only when I'm at home, mostly my dad's house. I think it's more a haunted house than that I'm insane and hear voices and shit.
>5. Can you interact with your voices\ how much control do you have over your voices?
No, only listen.
Negative. Feels like it's a ghost or demon trying to lure me down and get me or something. Only happened once though, other than that I just hear strange noices.
Yes. I was sitting home alone at my dad's house when I was 17 years old. I had my headphones on and played vidya as usual. The clock was around 9 pm and I heard a strange voice. It sounded exactly like my dad and it told me to go downstairs because the food was ready. I didn't think much about it and went down the stairs, halfway down I remembered that dad isn't home and ran as fast as I could up the stairs and into my room again. That was a really scary moment for me.
I'm not at my dad's house anymore so I don't hear anything anymore. I hear strange noices sometimes but that's probably just the building making sounds as the wind blows on it.
>9. Do you hear things other than voices such as music or clicking and banging (pls elaborate)?
Yes, I've heard knocks, cracking walls and stairs, something whispering weird shit or in tounges. Pretty scary.

I'm glad I don't live in that scary fucking house anymore.
>>
OP YOU FUCKING TARD I ASKED YOU A GODDAMN SIMPLE FUCKING QUESTION. JUST TELL ME WHY YOU LIKE GUTS AND WE WILL BE ALL GOOD
>>
Also.

>>29395059
>sperg on about how this post contains seven logical fallacies

This is basically universal among mental 'professionals'. 'Oh yes, you might be right, you are logical and rational and have a clear grasp of everything and have no delusions and are well-oriented and know the facts and are quick and reply accurately and are thinking concretely, butbutbut... you are TOO logical. Locked.'
>>
>>29395115
Well communication in this instance could be explaining to the individual the risks that they are seemingly unaware of and educating them on the nature of the experiences they are having.

Then attempting to develop a trusting relationship with the individual and helping them discover some meaning from their experience.

All very person centred and directed by the individuals values.
>>
File: rMVZTya.png (646 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
rMVZTya.png
646 KB, 768x576
>>29395083
assuming things again are we?
well good, if you won't stop doing what I pointed out is not only worthless but also ridiculous- categorizing everyone's professions, gender, religion and who knows what on an anonymous image board then I won't stop doing what triggers your spergy ass.

Now go on, say the line anon!

Appeal....to....?
>>
>>29395147
Just get turned on by a bit of chub. Can't really explain the experience any further than that.
>>
>>29395151
>you are TOO logical
That's how you think you sound? "Too logical?"

Oh boy...
>>
File: 1381982469096.gif (498 KB, 500x593) Image search: [Google]
1381982469096.gif
498 KB, 500x593
To put this all in context, I do not have schizophrenia, but have bipolar type 1 and was psychotic during my manic episodes. I am medicated now to prevent further manic episodes, but I still occasionally exhibit symptoms of psychosis when I'm extremely stressed out (which is the majority of the time).

Both.
Never familiar, but usually a woman's voice.
Used to hear crowds when I had manic episodes, but for the last two years it's usually just one person.
Happens every couple of days recently, would happen multiple times a day before I was medicated. It's always worse when I'm around other people and at night.
0 control over them or any ability to interact with them.
Used to just be neutral but recently they've become extremely negative and homicdal. I know that makes me sound like an edgelord but I'm being completely honest.
They usually just try and talk to me, when I'm very stressed out they'll laugh at me or ridicule me. Recently they've been explicitly to kill random people.
No. I repress everything, try to take medication that represses them further, and don't tell anyone about them, ever.
I used to hear music very frequently. Now it's just loud noises outside when it's dark out.
>>
>>29395166
>educating them on the nature of the experiences they are having

Again bullshit, you professional bullshitter. 'It's all in your head' is not the 'nature' of delusions and hallucinations. Particular under- or overgrowths of particular parts of the brain are. 'It's all just a thought' explains nothing and obscures a lot.

>discover some meaning from their experience

'You should understand that not everything that happens is real' makes a person perfectly less likely to derive meaning from their experiences by making them less inquisitive -- like all appeals to ignorance do.

>All very person centred

Generic 'consider you might not know everything' is literally the most dismissive fuck you one can give to another person. As opposed to literally harmful, as in, literally directly causing various kinds of physical pain.

>and directed by the individuals values.

There is no room for personalization in 'you might be wrong'.

>>29395174
Appeal to ignorance. Not that there is anyone in this thread or board who agrees with me that you should not be doing what you're doing.

>>29395201
I have said nothing about myself in this thread.
>>
>>29395279
>As opposed to

I mean, *in addition to.
>>
>>29395117
Did your dad hear any voices himself?
>>
>>29392344
>>29393590
>>29393952
>>29394040
>>29394588
>>29394713
>>29395075
>>29395117
>>29395254
>feeding OP's ego by replying to this thread

I hope you are aware that this thread is exactly like 'fembots describe how you masturbate, in detail'.
>>
>>29395279
>I have said nothing about myself in this thread.
>Appeal to ignorance

Oh, I see what you're doing. I think I underestimated you. Good show.
>>
>>29395343
>I hope you are aware that this thread is exactly like 'fembots describe how you masturbate, in detail'.

I have no problem with that
>>
>>29395355
>presenting pointing it out as a claim of intellectual superiority

Now I have to admit, this is pretty creative. I smiled. Kudos, anon.
>>
>>29395316
I don't know, I highly doubt it.
>>
>>29395279
I think it's time to rise up and end this fruitless exchange.
>>
File: 1461081500669.gif (1001 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1461081500669.gif
1001 KB, 640x480
>>29395343
>stop replying to a normal thread
>you're feeding OP's ego >:(((((
>I want the (You)'s >:O
This is you.
>replying to 9 posts just to inform people that they've posted in a thread

wew lad
>>
>>29395343
OP here.

I actually hear voices myself but even if I didn't go fuck yourself.
>>
>>29395254
You don't sound like an edge Lord mate. Persecutory and violent voices are very common as far as voices go.
>>
>>29392344
You will benefit from your positive outlook on this frightening experience. It is well known now that people with schizophrenia do much worse when they feel hopeless and they can actually make full recoveries when they maintain a positive attitude.
>>
I do sometimes, yeah.
>do they come from outside or inside
Always outside. I can tell it sounds like something taking to me rather than from me if that's what you mean.
>are the voices familiar
Not in any way, no. They're definitely never people I interact with normally, and they don't sound distinctive enough to be particularly recognizable from anything else.
>how many different distinct voices
Usually one or two at a time. Sometimes I'll hear one say something, it'll go away, and then I'll hear another say something.
>how frequent are they
It's no reoccurring schedule or anything, but I know they usually occur when it's late and I'm trying to get to sleep but can't for some reason, so I put on some music and forget about it.
>can you interact
No, it's never like a conversation, I know they're not real so I have no reason to try. They usually don't linger either, they just say one things and leave.
>are they negative or positive
Usually negative.
>do they tell you to do things or comment on what you're doing
They sort of just give me suggestions or make some sort of comment on what I'm thinking.
>do you have ways to cope
Not really cope but putting on music blocks them out and helps me forget.
>do you hear things other than voices
Nah.
>>
>>29392123
i got u senpai i can explain my condition bretty wekk

I would say both or somewhere in between. i didnt understand this phenomenon at first but its also pretty different everyone.

Sounds like myself or the people that are around me at the time.

mumbling primarily and crowds. Thats why the voices are not very distinct.

only whenever im surrounded by alot of people because most the time what i hear is other people actually talking but my mind twists what they are saying and makes it out to be something sinister.

i constantly interact and have conversations with myself and by myself i mean so eone else inside me. Its like theyre are many of me and and im having conversations and outbursts saying random shit to myself and I aclways catch myself thinking i look crazy and i prolly indeed do and am.

NEGATIVE
sometimes positive

Yes and all of the above. Mainly to kill myself and bad things. Its like a voice i cant control in my head.

Yes clicking banging. ghostly things scary things. Voices and all types of stuff. But its nothing like loud or like a sound effect from a movie. The most memorable audio hallucination ive ever had was when I had my first episode of Sleep Paralysis. Basically I woke up unable to move my body and i heard like a ringing bell that sounded like a bell
>>
>>29394081

familia you were so spot on with the gossipy romanticization bit but you really need to research drug efficacy for mental health disorders because the numbers are very low and the "effective" studies are funded by drug companies
>>
>>29392123
I work with extremely mentally ill folks. Interested in talking with someone who works in the field? I'd love to hear about your experiences and talk about what can possibly be done to address such an overwhelming problem society is facing.

[email protected]
Email me contact info if you want.
>>
>>29392123
1. Usually from the back of my head (inside) or over my shoulder.

2. My voice

3. Just me

4. It's pretty rare I guess. When I'm alone it bumps up to infrequently.

5. I talk and it talks back I guess, but not actual discussion. Just one line or so about the issue at hand.

6. About 50/50

7. Usually just reinforces or discourages things I'm already doing or have done "I shouldn't have done X", never tells me stop do anything I wasn't already about to do

8. I don't really need to cope. It's just like me always double checking what I do.

9. I never hear other things
>>
>>29392123
There are thousands and thousands of well researched books and articles on these things and you came to r9k.
What do you make of that, freud?
>>
>>29395539
thanks m8. shame to hear that other people have to suffer through the same thing, though.
>>
>>29396894
That's actually not true my skeptical friend.
The evidence base on the exact phenomenology and first hand experience of auditory hallucinations is very thin and only recently picking up any meaningful steam.

Best to go straight to the source.
>>
>>29392123

Its a combination of the two, kinda like how you would hear voices in a dream but awake.

Like people who just moved into my head over time but over a period of time growing up, they never accumulated all at once, I wont say who but there are three of us.

I hear mine and both of theirs.

everyday all day 24/7.

they're just like me or you, we talk, we argue, we discuss idea's.

They can be depending on their mood, it all depends on behavior and what effects them.

Yes, they observe everything I do, make comments, suggestions, creative criticism and etc.

Live with them? I personally took up an interest in smoking marijuana and eating edibles, it keeps everyone calm and in a positive mood, it also helps with my jaw and teeth, i excessively grind my teeth in my sleep.

All sorts of noises, like rain, static, pitches and frequencies coming off of peoples phones and computers, its not loud but noticeable if i choose to concentrate on it, its worse when I have headaches which is often.

-------

Will there be any feedback?
>>
File: AVH1 Typical.png (119 KB, 612x1353) Image search: [Google]
AVH1 Typical.png
119 KB, 612x1353
>>29397953
Not feedback per say but I can show you the current evidence on the common and uncommon variables in voice hearing.

Pic related discusses the most typical types
>>
File: AVH1 ATYPICAL.png (50 KB, 605x902) Image search: [Google]
AVH1 ATYPICAL.png
50 KB, 605x902
>>29398185
And this table shows the atypical variants.

Interesting that you stated you hear your own voice, that's quite uncommon.
>>
>>29392123
Plz OP for the love of god!
Post more. Please I beg you!

Can you show her face?
>>
>>29398185
whew seeing this chart kinda convinced me I ain't just Tumblring this shit
>>
>>29398244
Yeah dude they are a real phenomenon.

Interestingly, these two tables were drawn up in a report designed to help professionals distinguish between real sufferers and malingerers (fakers) who might fake symptons to avoid prosecution or for other external reasons.
>>
>>29398357
well I was kind of on the fence, partially because I got so damn used to it I stopped even noticing it. But I kinda remember the first time it happened.

I mean all cognitive processes are a kind of internal monologue. There's always a voice in there, I suppose. But I always had the tendency to turn it into dialogues (mostly because of my writing) and at some point shit became self-aware. Only recently did I kinda have this "wow, maybe this isn't how most people's minds work" moments.
>>
I hallucinated during some heavy alcohol withdrawal.

It comes from inside obviously, but I "heard sounds" that weren't real.

Heard my father's voice thru the walls when we were in the same house.

Sometimes crowds, sometimes single person / voice, even music sometimes.

Pretty frequent, enough that people noticed I was being weird.

Yeah you can talk to them, and they're influenced by your mood indirectly.

Mostly neutral, sometimes bad. It would be dangerous to some people.

None of that "the voices told me to do it" bullshit no.

Don't trust sounds, confirm the source with your eyes. Don't repeat or cooperate with looping thoughts.

Yes ofcourse, mentioned before in #3. Dogs barking is another good example. Very annoying.
>>
>>29398456
It's a spectrum. People experience auditory hallcuinations all the way from what you might class a "functionally normal" all the way up to full blown psychosis.

Some people do tend to misinterpret their own thoughts as auditory hallucinations particularly in PTSD and personality disorders where you may have obsessive and compulsive thoughts related to self-esteem or past abuse.

In regards to the internal monologue thing it appears to differ greatly across people. Some people claim to think more in pictures and images, some in words, some in audible language and others in somethign "else" they don't really have words for.

very interesting stuff anyway
>>
Often when I am going to sleep, especially if I take DPH, I hear ethereal echo-like voices. Sometimes I hear very nice music, which I find strange because that means somewhere in my brain I am creating music even though I cannot even carry a tune.
>>
outside

most if it is undistinguishable, hard to understand what's actually being said.

its been a few weeks since I've heard any, but I remember two distinct ones. one sounded like a harpy, a very shrill high pitched scream/mumbling. the other was a deep voiced man, who would either laugh or scream depending on how I reacted to his initial mumblings.
I sometimes heard mass yelling, crying and voices asking for help. I thought it was the voices of hell for a long time.

the first time it happened was when I was at my friends house, I asked her to turn down her music and as soon as she said "there's no music playing" it turned into screaming laughter and I had to leave. that was five years ago when I was 15. now I just hear the above listed noises evey few weeks, sometimes more often. no clue what triggers it, if there is some cause

as said above, its not really voices that talk to me. sometimes I just hear random music and its kinda ok. as long as I don't freak out it stays as music, granted that its heavy metal, which I don't necessarily enjoy. if I react badly, so does the voice

eh, kinda both.

not that I can tell. like I said above, the first time I feel like the voice was making fun if me by laughing and yelling (it was the deep man voice)

character limit reached
>>
>>29392123
Inside, usually related to whoever/whatever I'm thinking about while falling asleep.

^
^^
^^^
No, complete but none.
Usually random shouts patched from thought. (HelLO, How ARe yOU.)
No
No
No, not in my head at least
>>
>>29398786

I just try to ignore the voices so as not to make it worse. I just tell myself they're not real.
the music is ok as long as I act like I'm enjoying it. I bob my head to it. if I freak out, wish that something else was playing, whatever, it turns into screams. so I just go along with it.

woah. I didn't see this question when I copied it. is music common? cause thats essentially what I hear most of the time. trippy
>>
>>29398211
Why is that uncommon? I thought everyone could hear their own voice kinda like a default voice that you're born with.
>>
>>29398985
No like I said not everyone has an internal voice. Some people think in images or feelings.

I personally can sort of hear my voice when I think but not everyone has this like you may assume if you have it yourself.
>>
>>29399039
Images and feelings? fascinating. Truly this idea is foreign to me as I had always thought that this was how my cat's thought process was like.
>>
both

they're stereotypical normally but no one i know

crowds more frequently

stimulants make them bad. and reading for a long time.

i can only interact with some

neither really

both

no

yeah like trashcans falling over or somthing
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.