[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are hunger urges a function of the mind more than the body? That
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: anatomical_model__head_left.jpg (81 KB, 360x477) Image search: [Google]
anatomical_model__head_left.jpg
81 KB, 360x477
Are hunger urges a function of the mind more than the body? That is to say, if your stomach could be removed without affecting other organs or bleeding, transported outside the body if you will, would you no longer "feel" hungry during the short time in which you were still alive? If you did not have a stomach, would you still want a snack?
>>
>>29391160
You think anyone here is a fucking scientist?
That's an interesting question, though
>>
google ghrelin
>>
Im guessings its more of a mind thing.
I noticed that when I started smoking, I started to want less sweet things and food in general. Only started eating when I was actually hungry.
>>
>>29391160
Yes, hunger is mostly psychological, you can fast for long periods without any health problems only fat and glucose burning.
>>
>>29391160
your question is a little ambiguous but that's okay
>eating food stimulates pleasure response
>lack of eating food elicits survival response
if the stomach were removed then the brain would adjust by eventually ceasing to associate survival with the act of eating food.
>>
You're asking a question that directly hits on the problem of mind-body dualism, to which there has been no really perfect answer yet.

The mechanistic / emergentist types would say "there's no distinction between body and mind; consciousness is a physical state, not an entity," but then wouldn't want to discuss "psychic phenomena" (like qualia). Dualists (or idealists) would say that, even if they're triggered by "noumenal" things, in the the world, the contents and experiences of consciousness - phenomenal content - are all it can "know;" and pain is an experience of consciousness. But again, that doesn't tell you about the actual mind/body barrier.

All answers you're going to get will just be circumlocutions around this basic problem. Any talk of changing the noumenal, e.g., as in your example of removing the stomach, doesn't really resolve the issue. The mechanists and dualists/idealists will have their answer to it, without having to step out of their respective camps.
>>
It's all hormone regulated desu.
If you clamp your stomach you can feel full when it registers being at capacity but it won't stop hunger from an empty stomach,

Many drugs come with hunger suppression side effects and there are anorectics available with prescription.
>>
It's the mind, mostly. The lateral hypothalamus would have to be removed in order for hunger urges to cease. However, I'm guessing without a constant rumbling of the stomach to offer a physical reminder that one is hungry, the urge to eat would be strangely diminished.
In theory, would a man with a sort of mechanical digestive system be able to eat once a month for instance if it was highly efficient, and not feel hungry all the time?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.