[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else feel overwhelmed when it comes to self-improvement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1682345.jpg (40 KB, 755x503) Image search: [Google]
1682345.jpg
40 KB, 755x503
Anyone else feel overwhelmed when it comes to self-improvement? I'm pretty much bottom of the barrel and have to start over like I'm 13 again or something.

But there are so many things I want to do and need to do in order to improve myself, I have no fucking clue where to start. How do I actually start improving?
>>
1st step is assesment:

assess what you what like to improve, whether it's your body, intelligence, etc.

2nd step is finding out what you have to do to improve upon those things. for example, if you wanna get fit, maybe consider a gym membership. if you want to improve social skills, read up on the subject

never look backwards when trying to self improve. only look forward. good luck
>>
>>29384531
same guy here. since you say you dont know where to start, pull out a pen and paper and write a physical list where you prioritize what you want to fix
>>
>>29384481
>How do I actually start improving?

Start with little things. Waking up on time, doing it consistently, learning how to cook, going to the gym on a schedule. Start by forming some structure to your daily life.

I'm the same. I feel like a 15 year old stuck in a 21 year old's body and I honestly don't consider myself to be an adult. I feel like a manchild. The only improvement I'm making is getting a permit to carry a gun, that's fucking it.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the thread but it's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dtRIf0rGY
>>
Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day
>>
honestly i didn't start giving a fuck about myself until i took the simplest things into my hands. for me, the simplest thing i wasn't handling was making my own food - and not just like "oh i can microwave up some BoxedBullshitTM" but actually scrambling eggs, baking chicken, etc. so just find the simplest thing you don't handle (keeping a logically organized living space, hygiene, food, whatever it is for you) and start there. cooking my own food led me to get into fitness, and even though i suck at it i'm glad i'm trying. on days where i get physically active i'm not depressive at all
>>
>>29384481
Starting from level 0 social skills when you're in your 30's is pure hell. I am certain the average teenager can carry a conversation better than myself.

Oddly enough I've been able to improve everything about myself I wanted except this one thing. I just don't get it. I've had lifelong issues with this.
>>
>>29384627
Yeah that's how I feel. I'm pretty much at level 0 when it comes to just about everything. Things I should have done as a teenager or even a child I would have to do now.
>>
I think how you apply your mind to the task is a key part of making such a change, as it's what gives you the drive to continue.
Here are some thoughts on learning and mentality for self improvement:

1) Most importantly, there's a million ways to self-improve and a million people who have done it and whom are emotionally attached to their own idea, so try not to be overwhelmed by people's insistence that their way is the right way. Take what works for you, take parts and adapt it to you, create your own way - whatever works.

2) I think it's helpful to have short and long term goals and challenges in order that you can feel rewarded and motivated. I've found that I'm much more productive when I break things down into smaller tasks and keep in mind what I am achieving by doing those things otherwise I end up stagnating.

3) If you complete a short term or long term goal but not exactly as you wanted it, still consider what you HAVE achieved and what is good about that because I have found that it is not uncommon that compromise is required and it can be quite defeating if you have an all or nothing attitude where it is unnecessary.

4) Keep in mind that there will almost certainly be setbacks, and think about what you'll do to cope with them emotionally and mentally - I find that having considered that and planned for those events makes it much more bareable when it happens. Relapse can become a part of a recovery process and something that can be learnt from in order to strengthen your resilience. and doesn't need to be the end of recovery.

I'm off because my next step is cutting r9k out of my life - good luck!
>>
Thing that sucks is stuff like social anxiety gets in the way. Like I haven't gone to a grocery store by myself in 2 years. My mom buys groceries for me. It's pathetic.

Certain tasks feel like they take extraordinary amounts of effort whereas a normal person would feel like it's nothing or routine.
>>
Iron willpower and baby steps.

Say you're going to give up soda.
> move to half light half normal
> replace one drink with juice, mineral water or tea
> slowly cut your consumption, replacing it with healthy alternatives
> keep it up for weeks
> you no longer thirst for soda, and your habit of drinking $healthy_thing makes you lose weight without doing anything
>>
What pisses me off the most is that even if I work hard I will be getting results that lucky Chad gets for much less work. That makes me miserable, angry and hateful.
>>
>>29384481
>>29384705
??

Nice pic. My ex made a ghetto version of that mask.
>>
>>29386309
(It's a whole thing to read)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.