[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IQ test problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: iqproblem.png (12 KB, 552x863) Image search: [Google]
iqproblem.png
12 KB, 552x863
Any robots got a solution to this problem?

It came from the Norwegian Mensa test. I think it is inherently flawed. I have a Bachelors math degree and can see no solutions. Do I need a PhD to solve this?
>>
>>29377230
I remember this one from when I took the test a few months ago. Could not solve it.
>>
>>29377230
Assuming that the answers are
1 2 3
4 5 6

The answer is 3.
>>
>>29377327

How did you come to this? I'm assuming you have to go down columns, and the first row is offset to the right by one, with overlap. There is no viable consistent state transition that can applied to both the circle column and the triangle column. The problem seems like a typo.
>>
Is this a troll or is the test actually flawed? If >>29377327 is right (most plausible answer imo) then the bottom left should be mirrored.
>>
>>29377640

Exactly. The series of state transitions I applied to get the bottom of the triangle column produced a backwards version of the bottom lefthand circle cell I tried many solutions in a drawing program and they always screwed up the other column. If I was some genius like Euler or Newton I could probably prove that it was impossible without a shadow of a doubt. For now it seems highly unlikely that this problem has a solution.
>>
I can't explain the arrangement within the matrix, but the answer is 3, like >>29377327 said. There's an "original" shape, a pushed through shape, and a right side rotated shape. I suppose you can't automatically assume that the three sided box is the "original" shape, but it can be deduced since none of the answers have the right side rotation performed on the upside down T shape. Number three does fit with the right side rotation, so it's the best answer.
>>
>>29377784
Okay. In that case I probably got it right on the test. I just guessed 'C' but the alignment and ordering made me assume that they had to follow a succession from top to bottom. If you take the triangle as the "original" shape, even though is offset, you can derive the bottom transformation with a rot of the right side. Same goes for the circle to bottom row "CC" cell. IQ tests seem to be an art in and of themselves. Knowing the tricks could boost one's score greatly.
>>
>>29377944
Hi. This is the guy who posted the original answer (3).

I finally found a simple way to put it into words. Let's say that the images are in their original state in row one.

In the second row, the images have each half reflected upon the vertical axis.

In the third row, each original image has its right half rotated 180 degrees. The entire shape is then flipped vertically, and then horizontally.
>>
File: iqprob_properalign.png (2 KB, 274x150) Image search: [Google]
iqprob_properalign.png
2 KB, 274x150
>>29377784

I could find no regular cell shift or flip to come to this arrangement, but logically, it looks like these rows match.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.