[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone think about joing the army?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (55 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
image.png
55 KB, 472x472
ive been thinking about it and exercising. for anyone in the military, how much does being smoked suck and how bad is the cs gas chamber?
>>
>>29374276
Marinefag here

CS gas chamber will not kill you, it just makes it hard to breathe. It's a good thing to have because it teaches you to clear your gas mask. Just a word of warning though, your skin will burn and ache for a good half an hour. Also if you have allergies after you get out of that chamber it's the clearest you will feel in your life. It cleans your system
>>
>>29374342
>marine

Fucking normie. Fuck off
>>
>>29374375
Fuck you faggot nigger
>>
I'm in the national guard. Even just that sucks ass. I was on suicide watch in basic and AIT but some how managed to push through and come home. Now I have the horrible feeling of knowing drill is coming soon when I wanna just sit home on my ass. I'm still out of a job too cause I'm wiped when I get home from drill so i just lay in bed for like a week straight after drill. Do not enlist
>>
>>29374342
Would you recommend commissioning in the marines or army?
>>
>>29374342
how stressful/hard is bootcamp? the being yelled at all the time seems like it would be stressful. do most people who join make it through bootcamp without being chaptered?
>>
navy seems cool
>>
>>29375215
i keep hearing that the navy is the comfiest, does anyone know if this is true?
>>
>>29375290
I hear that it's the air force but thats also the hardest to get into you have to be all smart and shit.
>>
>>29374834
If you want to see military action now, join the marines. If there is a large scale conflict in the near future, the army and marines depends on what type of shit you want to be in

>Army
Sitting on the ground getting shelled by artillery every other hour waiting for new orders, push up about 1-10 miles, clearing out the enemy, then repeat, and btw during a big push your living conditions drop to an all time low. You guys usually are used for long term fighting in an area

>Marines
Get dropped directly into the shit, fighting awake for a day and a half, eating crummy tasting MRE's. Usually used for clearing out an area or hard pushes against the enemy. Marines sometime work with army forces to push up against enemy positions.

>>29374882
In bootcamp, instructors try to weed out any insecurity and negative thought about yourself. Bootcamp really makes you feel terrible about yourself, and it will also make you feel accomplishment and comraderie. Boot camp isn't all bad sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face because the instructors are huge smartasses. The instructors will play little "games" with your unit, on Easter they will go into the barracks and remove all of your bedsheets, and put them in your footlockers, then place them all over the goddamn place. Another game is "this pen will make you cry." They force you to hold a pen with your arm straight out until it feels like a two hundred pound weight. You just have to learn to take it in, then you will succeed
>>
>>29374406
Lol No wonder national guard gets made fun of so much. I just got out of bootcamp 3 months ago and I'm still in AIT. It's not that bad at all.

>>29374882
The only hard thing about bootcamp is the boredom. Coming from a guy who absolutely hates running/exercising and getting yelled at. Most of the time when the sergeants are yelling it's not directly at you, just at your platoon and you can kinda just ignore it.
>>
>>29375290
I joined and dropped out just so that if there is a draft I would be exempt.

It was bretty good desu, if i could do it you could to, I am quite a pussy.

The sweats you get in P-days are comfy, and everyone there except the rdc are your friend. Outside looks like North Korea or maybe mongolia, really stark and bleak.

I fucking hate the military atmosphere though, so depressing. Lucky for me I will never be there again for all eternity
>>
>>29375372
>I joined and dropped out just so that if there is a draft I would be exempt.

Thats a lot of work considering there is unlikely to be a draft again
>>
>>29375368
so are you saying that the marines are more likely to get you killed?

that's what i'm hoping for, to die in combat, not by seppuku
>>
as a Marine life fucking blows. It is also fucking awesome. You are constantly in the suck and fucking tired as shit but there are 40 others as miserable as you. We (most) drink way to much. After you get free college and you are in great shape. I was on leave for 24 days and fucked 6 girls. Life is hell but there is nothing like it. I recommend joining. Chaiirforce is the easiest (they have a fucking mall in boot camp), Navy has long ass hours and youll prolly be on a ship, Army moves in large groups and really depends on the job, Marines are the most miserable but we also get the most respect.
>>
>>29375368

Does the USMC still do that fast-rope descent shit that the Brits popularized?

I wanna do that it looks fun.
>>
>>29375425
If you already want to die it might as well be an honorable death on the battlefield. Good for you anon!
>>
Joining the coast guard.

I'm going somewhere not shitty, getting my education finished, and getting /fit/.

My friend is in the army and he hasn't done his actually job (works with artillery) in months. He just does grunt work all day with a bunch of idiots.
>>
>>29375468
So join the Air force is what youre saying, got it
>>
>>29375368
Oh word. How long would it take to max the pft? Im scoring a 200 but I need a 300 to apply to OCS. I know army gets the better schools and AOCs and probably better bases but the marines is the marines.
Their propaganda is good I suppose.
>>
>>29375425
If you want to die go for Special Forces.
>>
If you can even consider joining the military you need to get off this board
>>
I'm considering joining because I'm a neet with no friends.

Army or marines?
>>
>>29374276
they do a full online background check and a mental test. I would not pass either in fact I would most likely get arrested
>>
>>29375468

Wow the USMC is really ill disciplined
>>
>>29375570
Marines. Army will depress you and morale is higher in the marines
>>
>>29375564
Wanting to get off of this board is really the main reason people here might consider the millitary.
>>
>>29374276
the military is no place for a robot
>>
>>29375575

>they do a full online background check

That's really not as rigorous as you think. They're basically trying to find out if you publicly insult blacks, jews and mexicans on Facebook or something.
>>
>>29375564
Yeah, how dare robots want to try and better themselves in any way.
>>
>>29375619
>tfw 0 online presence
feels fucking good
>>
>>29375604
these people aren't robots in the first place

in which case maybe you should all join the military seeing as how thats what failed normies do, but please have the courtesy to go talk about it somewhre else ffs
>>
File: 1465721548170.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1465721548170.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
I was in the navy and got kicked out for health.

If you actual lowish functioning autism like I am do not join the military.

I loved it I went through to week 6 in a push division before getting discharged.

I repeat if you can barely function mechanically with your hands like actual autism like I have do not join.

If you don't have this and youre one of the normie robots who just need a kick in the ass than join the navy you will love.

Ill answer any questions about boot camp Like I said I was one week before graduation.
>>
I did 6 years on a submarine as a sonar tech. I did the CS gas and all that shit. Cake. More irritating than anything. Boot camp is immediately forgotten once you leave.

Every branch has its benefits. I never planned to go career. I wanted skills and a resume. And the best part about tech rates on submarines is advancement. I made E6 in 6 years and then got out.

Due to the experience I immediately got hired in the oil industry to use sonar for oil lease site mapping. I'm basically a rich fag now, due solely to on the job experience and the 18 months of school I went through.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. No student loan debt, my business card says engineer, and I'm financially stable in my late 20s.

The best part? No matter how bad it sucks, and it does, at least you are with a hundred or so of your friends. You can cuss and tell people to fuck off and do all sorts of manly shit not allowed in the civilian world.

The worst part? It can be brutally hard work, and sometimes you just don't sleep for days. Quite often actually.
>>
>>29375661
Would you recommend submarines over surface? I got a chance for sub officer or SWO nuclear officer
>>
>>29375648
So you were in seps too, I don't want to even make this comment because that place is so depressing and I want to distance it from my mind forever, almost gives me an anxiety attack to think of it, that place is 100 times worse than regular bootcamp.

But I want to know what specifically you had trouble with, when you had to turn your uniform inside out, lay it in front of your rack, then put it right side in and button all the buttons? that screwed me over all though my bunkmate helped me pass.

There are really some nice people there who will do anything to help you succeed. In the end though I was crying under my blanket every night until my rdc let me go to the mental health clinic
>>
Why are there military threads all of a sudden? Are we all joining up in anticipation of WW3?
>>
>>29375772
Because High School is out for the summer and these failed normies arent going to college
>>
>>29375772

Just the military doing its standard shit. Really I don't know why we didn't see more of this stuff before, 4chan seems like a great place to lie to impressionable people and advertise the Army or something.
>>
How likely are you to see action d if you sign up for the Airborne?

Nobody talks about them anymore after WWII ;_;
>>
>>29375728
Im extremely masc or I at l least try to be but I knew im low functioning before I even joined and I thought that I just get over that. Ive always had problems in my life tying my shoes didn't learn until fifth grade. I just have low common sense in general. I thought well fuck it i might as well try even though im autistic.

For me it was just mechanical shit. I lowered my divisions score completely because I couldn't make my bed correctly among other things. I also have the division a street hit. I never cried because I actually loved it I just mentallu idk man...when you fuck up everything because you're actually an idiot it wears you down more than other things.

I loved the military though when I was in it...i want to go back.

For me seps was ok I didnt hate it. I hated the poser master of arms and bitch ass rpoc we had. They were extremely strict and power hungry and generally were just assholes so I of course when some faggot who thinks they can tell me what to do and they aren't petty officers and its not a real division I always talked back.

They pissed me off so fucking much they were so power hungry.

Seps was worse imo tho than boot camp because it was just a waste of time. We didnt do anything or learn anything.
>>
>>29375855
>Seps was worse imo tho than boot camp because it was just a waste of time. We didnt do anything or learn anything.
And why the fuck would we? Thats where you go to fucking leave you retard.

Goddamn it you sound like a try hard
>>
>>29375478
There are courses for that, I can't say I did it too much in a firefight/combat zone
>>29375508
>propaganda
Yeah, the recruiters really put the icing on the cake, don't they?
>>
>>29375705
Sub every time. We don't deal with all that formality shit the surface guys deal with. Promotion is much faster, you are much closer to officers, and the training pipeline filters out many retards, who end up surface.

Put it this way. When guys are too dumb or lazy or fucked up on a submarine, they get sent to the surface.

And promotion speed is crazy fucking fast compared to surface. At one point we had zero seamen on board. As in everyone was e-4 and above. Even guys just showing up. Try to find that on a surface ship.
>>
>>29375827
I heard Airborne will fuck your knees up
>>
>>29375891
Im just saying that's why I disliked it.
It was a holding cell. Nothing productive.i just read the bible.
>>
>>29375922
>subs
How will it feel if nuclear war breaks out and you are >cozy under the surface?
>>
>>29375963
>Holding cell
That's the best explanation I've heard for it
>>
>>29375909

I'm actually curious, after >>29375575, just how invasive did they get with you when it came to your online background?

I'd imagine shit like secret service you have to be squeaky clean for, but just some guy signing up for the marines? I can't imagine they were that intrusive.
>>
>>29375705
Sorry. Didn't see you were officer candidate. If you can hack the nuclear pipeline, go sub. If not, go SWO. To be a line officer requires nuclear pipeline. And it's fucking rough. Really rough. If you can make it, after your contract is up the world is your oyster. A nuclear line officer from a submarine? You can do anything you want.

And as a submariner, you will enjoy a much closer relationship with your enlisted men. Especially your E-5s and E-6s. There is complete dependence on each other to work. I was a sonar supervisor and on a daily basis worked directly with, not for, my officer of the deck to control the ships movement.

It creates a very tight officer/enlisted bond not shared in many parts of the military. There is no "O" country on a submarine. I racked out my weapons officer in his stateroom dozens of times.

It's a family. The only officers really separate from crew are engineer and above.
>>
>>29375922
It'd be for an officer slot though
What sub were you on, fast attack or boomer or the SSGN?
>>
>>29375963
Alright, sorry for going off I'm just getting anxious, anyways weren't there a lot of memes at that place, how long ago were you there?

For me people were yelling out buzzwords all the time, I've never seen so many memes irl
>>
>>29375962

That's why you land on your backside.

'We pull upon the risers, we fall upon the grass, we never land upon our feet, we always hit our ass.'
>>
>>29375290
My dad was in the navy and from the stories he told it was basically just a lot leisure time on base. He was the cook so there wasnt that much work to do.
>>
>>29376008
I responded again above when I saw you were Officer candidate. I was SSBN and SSGN. SSGN is the absolute pinnacle of the fleet or than the Carter. They get the best gear and best missions. I would say try to GN as hard as you can, because we they do some amazing shit.
>>
>>29376035
>He was the cook
You're Black, aren't you
>>
>>29375998
>marines
>checking your online backround

That's only if you join an intelligence agency, nothing to worry about
>>
>>29376053
>>29376005
I can do it, but I got the choice to go carriers or subs. So I was just wondering, both have to do the nuke pipeline, just carrier dudes dont have subs and get a tour around a regular surface ship first. What are port calls like? I know it's a lot of work when they're doing repairs and shit too and having to stand watch. I also heard they get really little sleep and it's really cramped down there, I got to go on a tour a while back in a sub.

I definitely would like to go on the SSGNs but it's what 2 ships? odds are I'd be placed on a fast attack or boomer.

I know the pay is really good too but I have been looking at army and marines as well now, don't really know why, maybe I want to fight but there's nothing really going on anyway.

Fucking quals seem AIDS too
>>
>>29376010
Lolol there were a few memes there. Just one. Everybody was yelling BURTON because of some annoying memer beforehand.

The only other memes were like AIR CHAIRS GET THERE and calling people guy like the rdcs did.
>>
>>29376176
>maybe I want to fight but there's nothing really going on anyway.
So do I. Don't worry anon. By the time we finish boot camp, we'll be getting shipped off to Syria.
>>
>>29376176
It's harder work than surface. Port calls are dependent on mission. Fast boats do the most. West coast boats you will see asia. East coast you will see the med. currently 4 GNs, 2 forward deployed on each side of the world.

You will sleep less, work harder, have less time to fuck around in port calls. Surface life is easier.

That's the price you pay for working with the best of the best and doing the best missions. It's fucking hard. Officers are essentially forced to rotate platforms in prep to become CO. So if you start on fast boat, you will end up GN/BN at some point.

With BN, patrols are boring. It's a fact. You go make a quiet hole in the ocean. But you also get two crews. So half the time that boat is gone and you aren't on it. And that period now called PDTP instead of off crew is wonderful.

Seriously once I finished senior in rate qual of sonar sup, I was home by noon 3/5 days of off crew, unless I had a trainer.

Quals never really stop. Once you get officer of the deck done, that's huge. But then you start weapons officer quals, or end quals, or whatever.

There usually are two guys on a submarine who no longer have a qual left. The COB and the CO. That's it.

Quals never end. They just get much easier and less pressure. Once I made sonar sup I didn't start chief of the watch for like 2 years. Didn't need too.

It's like anything else. You want to succeed, you qual better and faster than the other guys. Then you get respect, then you get better watches, no bitch work, and better life.

After 2-3 years, all of a sudden, you are heavy qualified and life becomes so much easier. You stand your watch, you lift some weights, you rack out.

I saw both sides of the fleet, and would pick sub every fucking time. Easier doesn't necessarily mean better.
>>
>>29375370
Basic training was alright but AIT is where I really struggled. Fort Sill fucking sucked man. My MOS was fucking bullshit and they treated us like shit. AIT was easily worse than basic.
>>
No matter what anyone tells you, if you join the military:

ALWAYS GO TO SICK CALL NO MATTER HOW SMALL YOUR ACHE OR PAIN

Anyone who tells you to "tough it out" isn't telling you that for you. They're telling you that for them. Your squad leader, platoon sergeant, first sergeant: they just want their "numbers" to be up. They don't give a fuck about your welfare. They can't actually punish you for being sick or injured (even if it's just shin splints or some shit everyone gets.)

The reason you always go to sick call? Get that shit documented. When you get out of the military, anything that's wrong with you needs to be on paper. Makes it much easier to apply for disability. And even if your injuries and shit are legitimately so small that you get rated 0% disabled, that doesn't stop those bumps and bruises from showing up on your record.

This is important because if you get 70% disability or higher (it goes in increments of 10%,) you get free medical care for life. In communist Europe that's already a reality, but in the US not everyone can afford tylenol and shit.

Even with a 0% rating, the VA still has to take care of any condition you ever have IF IT CAN BE CONNECTED TO SERVICE

So if you break an ankle 10 years down the line, but one time in basic training you went to sick call for a bit of a limp that they treat with 800mg Ibuprofen and tell you to drink extra water, then you can get your surgery or whatever for free on the VA's dime. No matter how small the issue was in the military, if it's on paper, and then something happens in that area of the body later, you can say that your service exacerbated it, and thus get the VA to pay for it.

Also join the army if you're too retarded for AF or navy. Only join the marines if your #1 goal from the military is to be able to say you were a marine. The Army pays better bonuses, lets you choose your MOS more carefully, has better duty stations, and has longer deployments (which means more money.)
>>
>>29376631
I'm just basing this stuff based on what other officers have previously said in like blogposts and shit, seems the consensus is, it's great but I'd never do it again or if i could go back, I wouldn't do it.
http://bubbleheads.blogspot.com/2011/02/do-submarine-officers-enjoy-their-job.html
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/confessions-of-a-u-s-navy-submarine-officer-1715113243

I think I only get a few years max, since there's shore duty and it's only a 5 year commitment.

Is there weightlifting on boats? You still gotta maintain grooming and everything? haircuts/pt? don't see how the running would work out in the boat.

>I saw both sides of the fleet, and would pick sub every fucking time.
Really? Well I've heard both things, I just gotta do some thinking. I'm not too comfortable being down there in a metal tube underwater but then again, I don't know how being on a big ass carrier would be like.

>>29376765
>The Army pays better bonuses, lets you choose your MOS more carefully, has better duty stations, and has longer deployments (which means more money.)
See this is why I was thinking of the army over the marines, I suppose that's why I always see marine license plates and car stickers and decals. I know army gets the better schools too right? And shit like psyops seems neat
>>
>>29376841
Literally the entire point of the "Marines are better!!!!1" is so that the Marines build up the bravado to do the kind of crazy shit they make marines do. Don't get me wrong: they are the superior fighting force. Better equipped, better trained, all that jazz. I'm not trying to denigrate the function of the Corps.

But for an individual? There is no fucking practical reason to pick the marines over the army. Marines are the ballsy choice. Army is the smart choice. If you can't get AF or Navy, that is.

>Is there weightlifting on boats? You still gotta maintain grooming and everything? haircuts/pt? don't see how the running would work out in the boat.

Gyms have treadmills. Boats have gyms. If the boat is big enough, you might run on deck.

Also, if anyone tries to scare you with shit like "you'll have to live the rest of your life getting over killing someone" or "you'll either die or lose a limb or go crazy" please remember that like 1/10 of troops see action. I was a fueler and the only reason I saw any action was I was assigned to a truck driving unit that was assigned to an MP brigade and we had to do convoys all the time. Fucking Mosul. But in good news the only time I ever killed a guy I shot around him and the grenade he was trying to throw at us exploded in his hand. Don't feel guilty at all.
>>
>>29376936
>There is no fucking practical reason to pick the marines over the army.
I want to be a soldier and hopefully kill some arabs. Is Army better?
>>
>>29377043
You'll do longer deployments, so more chances. But no, if you just want to kill the shit out of shit, Marines are probably better.
>>
>>29376936
Well if I went marines or army, I'd shoot for arty or MI or signals, so I don't know what the odds are of getting to shoot a hajji. But army does get shit like pathfinder school and I could reclass and go psyops or FAO, dunno what you might know about those MOS. I have no idea how often either branch deploys nowadays anyway.
>born too late to join the fight in iraq/afghanistan
fugg
>>
>>29377104
>born just in time for WW3
feels fucking good.
>>
>>29376631
well thanks dude, you've been pretty helpful in answering some questions I had, gave me shit to think about.
Wish I could just know what I should do
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.