[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /frugal/ here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: 1439732880697.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1439732880697.png
246 KB, 550x535
>never spend more than 75 bucks per month on food because I know how to cook a wide variety of dishes with the cheapest ingredients
>drive 15-year old car that still runs well because I know how to fix most of the problems and don't need to pay some nigger 500 bucks
>always pirate vidya, music and movies, very rarely buy them because why the fuck should you pay for something that is so easily available
>buy cheap clothes like one-colored t-shirts for one buck oncer per year, same with pullovers and other stuff (Fruit of the Loom is god-tier)
>have hobby that doesn't require a constant stream of money to enjoy (art, playing an instrument)
>don't go to shitty clubs because why the fuck would I pay for overpriced drinks just to interact with obnoxious shitheads
>meditate every day which feels way better and is free
>whenever I plan to buy something I step back for a minute and REALLY ask myself if I need it, most of the time I realize that I don't need it
>have a few pieces of furniture that are cheap and that are robust
>10k dollars are a lot of money for me

What about you?
>>
>>29364435

>never spend more than 75 bucks per month on food because I know how to cook a wide variety of dishes with the cheapest ingredients

Please elaborate I spend so much money on food
>>
File: 123.jpg (164 KB, 690x1127) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
164 KB, 690x1127
>>29365069
pic related has some of the most basic tricks

http://www.budgetbytes.com/

Is a good website for a ton of somewhat cheap recipes.

Can't write down everything right now, but basically

>rice is your best friend
>>
>>29364435
>>10k dollars are a lot of money for me
Who the fuck thinks they are not?
I live minimal as far as possible. It helps me concentrate because I can't stand a cluttered environment.
Cooking by myself, few clothes that can be combined and that I all wear, little furniture that will outlast me. (My clothing is hung on industrial pipes that my uncle build for me so it looks nice and will literally outlast me.
>>
I eat rice and lentils, mixed veggies and the cheapest chickens battery farming can produce.

3 times a day
>>
>>29365222
>Who the fuck thinks they are not?

Eh, I just sometimes read about people who say that they "only" have 20 or 30 thousand in savings and that they're considered "poor".
>>
>>29365178
>Drink tap water
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>29365069
Generally: Rice in big packages from an Asian market, noodles depending on the mood, potatoes are often cheap. vegetables from the season that were grown locally (if you know the farmer try and get class two food. It is cheaper but tastes the same (looks shit but you'll cut it anyways).
Limit meat to chicken and some non endangered fish, other meat types are a luxury.
Also If you know immigrants that have low income - go there. They have cheaper food(out of necessity), are often nice and welcoming and it is fresh.

Also go to your local market around 30 mons before they close. You can get food about 50% cheaper because they want to get rid of it. (You have to talk to them though, they won't tell you otherwise)
>>
File: 1463577639643.png (78 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1463577639643.png
78 KB, 420x420
>>29365270
Where do you live?

asdasd
>>
>>29365270
tap water is all liquid you need, anon
if you don't like tap water, you don't deserve to be frugal
>>
Does anyone actually have any recipes or are you just gonna list cheap ingredients?
>>
>>29365325
LITERALLY google "cheap recipes" tho.
>>
File: aea.jpg (50 KB, 680x545) Image search: [Google]
aea.jpg
50 KB, 680x545
>>29364435

>owning a car
>buying new clothes ever

Step up your game senpai.
>>
>>29365325
Protip:
Take cheap ingredients, chop together, add onions, salt Pepper, voila there is your recipe. Just make them yourself with the cheap ingredients.
>>
>>29365178

All fine except multivitamin. Waste of money because the body can't digest the vitamins very well and they're extremely expensive.

>8 dollars for 200 tablets
>>
>Extreme penny pincher
>Avid shooter
>blow everything on ammo, despite reloading my brass

Why have you done this to me, /k/?
>>
>>29365270
I was raised on tap water because we were poor when I was growing up, so I had no idea what this comment meant. All the friends I had growing up also drank tap water and some of them even living in nicer neighborhoods then I did.
>>
>>29365782
This is normal? Or maybe not in murica, but honestly, tap water is cheap, superior quality to Battles water where I live and it tastes good once cooled.
>>
>>29365069
>Please elaborate I spend so much money on food

literally beans, chicken, and rice

you even have money left over for bottled water
>>
>>29364435
OP, school me on how to fix cars.
>>
>>29366386
There's nothing to learn.

Just learn the basics of how every car is built, learn the basics of how all the parts function.

Then, when you have a problem with your car (problems starting, weird noises, other problems), use the internet for a bit, inform yourself.

Try different approaches, be careful about what you're doing. Try everything that you can try. If it doesn't work after all that, you can always go to the mechanic. But for the most problems, you'll just have to spend a few hours to read a bit on the internet, watch a few videos, maybe buy some small tool or some other stuff that you need, and it'll work.
>>
>>29364435
>mostly buy cheap food and ingredients
>car is from 1999, drive only when I have to
>use free online services to watch movies or listen to music (saves disk space in many ways than one (there's less stuff for backups))
>phone is presumably from 2009, not a smartphone
>have hobbies that don't need much money (such as reading)
>only buy clothes when really have to (mostly cheap socks and underwear, last "proper clothes" I bought were some t-shirts in June 2015)
>>whenever I plan to buy something I step back for a minute and REALLY ask myself if I need it, most of the time I realize that I don't need it
>don't usually go to events (last time was maybe in April 2014)
>>
>>29366546
>there's nothing to learn
>just learn this and this

?
>>
>live with my parents, they happily feed me and I don't bother buying any food anymore
>stopped buying coffee, drink coffee at home before work/school
>don't go out much, and spend little when I do.
>take the bus to school (commuter college)
>don't buy textbooks unless I need them 100%
>got no one to impress, don't need to be /fa/g
>socialize only with friends, don't need a female money sink attached until I'm desperate

life is ez, I only work two days a week and have saved a decent amount of pocket/emergency money.
>>
>>29364435
>live with 5 roommates
>only spend $15 m/o on food because I'm vegetarian (I was born in a vegetarian family and have never eaten meat)
>use a trike I got off eBay for $80(using for 4yrs still going strong) it comes with a trolley so no need for car.
>live near super market so get everything I need in bulk on sale days. (Supermarket is 3miles away)
>befriended an employee at the market and he let's me dumpster dive.(only use sealed stuff)
>have only a woven bed and a table and chair.
>no fridge cause use a non electric one
>only drink tap water.
>grow veggies on backyard
>work from home so no travelling expenses
>always pick up flowers from graves when going on dates (children's graves always have fresh ones)
>make my own food always
>bought a used solar panel with my roommates and after 3yrs the thing has paid for itself and the grid pays us $20 m/o for sending power back
>free electricity cause solar power
>never drink coffee/tea/alcohol, never smoke/drink/drugs cause I'm not a junkie degenerate
>get my cloths off of eBay/yard sales
>only get cloths when old ones tear up
>make covers, bags etc from old cloths
>only go to parks/hikes/camping on dates
>have $240k saved
>age is 27
>>
>>29368049
One of my roommate hunts and fishes when he wants meat. But mostly the rest is almost the same.

Also forgot to mention that we have a rainwater harvesting system that we built together so water bill is very low.
>>
>>29364435
I never spend money on anything that isn't drugs or booze, but I spend all my money on those.

I'm /frugal/ as fuck desu senpai
>>
>>29368121
And we have a wood stove for heating, no central heating and we all just wear extra cloths when its clod.
>>
>>29368049
This is all good except for
>taking flowers from children's gravestones

You're an asshole for doing that.
>>
>>29368219
Why? They are going to rot anyway and they served their purpose as soon as the parents/relatives left the graveyard. If anything I'm a nice guy for recycling them and it always cheers my date up and makes them smile.
>>
>>29367847
I'm tired as fuck, sorry
>>
>>29368319
"Here you are, I saw some parents mourning their child and thought of you."
>>
>>29367500
>June 2015
January 2012 masterrace here
>>
>>29365368

I don't own a car right now and it is seriously inconvenient. My hobby is hiking, it is one of the few things that prevents me from wanting to kill myself (depression is a bitch). And I can't fucking go anywhere to hike on public transport. I've been thinking about buying a cheap car, but unlike OP I suck at all things car. I can barely check the oil. So it's gonna be prohibitively expensive. I can't even just use a scooter/motorcycle/bike because we get a LOT of snow in winter, also I need to take gear with me a lot of the time. Either a heavy pack or carcamping if I want to do more than a dayhike. I also don't have friends to leech off their vehicle.

I calculated the cost of car ownership including amortization of purchase price, gas, insurance, and maintenance at a minimum of 250 a month. The public transport pass is 100. Being that I can't drive around the city I still need the transport pass. So 350 a month...on transport. I really hate it.

I don't know if I could just use uber/lyft, a lot of locations are a 2 hour drive out even if I used public transit to get as close as possible first.

What do? I've been nearly suicidal all yesterday and today thinking about this... I feel like spending 250 a month just to go hiking is excessive but I don't see what choice I have.
>>
>>29368755

Also: car rentals are at least 50/day and most sites are saying the actual price is like double the quote, so $80 just to go hiking for one day. If I bought the car I could take longer trips without extra cost as well. But I just got into a 1 year lease near downtown. There's a ton of traffic and driving in traffic gives me anxiety. I don't know what to do. I also don't think I could get a lyft to the mountains at 5 AM...
>>
>>29365178
Is it normal for Americans to buy bottled water instead of drinking tap water? Really living up to your name of being the stupidest country on the planet holy shit
>>
>>29368319
you're on r9k

going on dates is not allowed, so out you go.
>>
I used to be this way when I was working fast food, since it was only 20 hours a week on min wage I always spent it frugal, I was actually quite healthy because I never sperged on food, walked to work cause I did not have a car, and being around tacos all day sorta quenched my craving for greasy food.

Now I am working 40 hours a week in a better job but sometimes I miss my last job and place. I had to get a car for this one and even though I am making bank compared to min wage I feel like I had more free time to do stuff. Plus I gained some weight, not fat but no longer have muscle in legs and slim from walking all the time.
>>
I always lived very modestly even while having full time jobs. But after recently buying a house use and getting married, ive encountered some expenses. We did a courthouse wedding which saved a lot of money and both our cars are paid off. We have about 50k saved up plus other assets, and I make a six figure income... but I still feel we sont have enough savings and could be doing better. I think sometimes no matter how much you have you want a little more.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 640x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 640x437
>>29365559
>penny pincher
>just turned 21
>spent ~$300 to mount a light on my gun
>spent ~$700 on a new carry gun and holster along with ammo for it
>now considering on spending $300 for tritium sights and a new trigger for it

I want it to stop
>>
>>29368924
Unfortunately, it's true. My parents and sister absolutely refused to drink tap water "because it tasted bad" and other related but equally shitty excuses.

One time, my sister came in from a run or some shit and asked if I could fetch her some water, so I just filled up a cup with tap and claimed I just poured out a portion of a bottle so I could have the rest. Drank the whole thing without a word.

Bitch didn't taste shit, everyone is a fucking lying baby. GOD FAMNIT I HATE EVERYONE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>29368049
Pictures of your setup nigguh
>>
>>29368924

I know a lot of people who do. they're all fucktards. Our tapwater is fine. I even drank from tap in the city with the worst water rating in the nation (1/100.) It tastes fine.

Only ONE family I've ever known had legitimate reason to drink bottled...their water wasn't potable because the fuckwits neglected to pay a few hundred bux to fix it, so it was like marshwater.

It's really environmentally damaging, too. Well I have reusable metal and glass bottles and always use tap. It's practically free.
>>
>get 10ish identical shirts and pairs of pants, socks, etc
>shitload of underwear
>nobody can tell when you're rewearing something
>only do laundry once per month or so without social consequences
>>
I'm the type to move frequently. A lot of times I have to get rid of most of my stuff because moving it is prohibitively expensive. So I'm kind of minimalist now. Who /min/?

>even small rooms feel big
>easy to clean
>looks tidy, /comfy/
>pleases my autism to be able to count how many items I own (about 150) and see everything all at once
>frugal as fuck

>can never get attached to items
>never want to spend a lot of money on any item because I might only have it a year or two
>usually buy stuff secondhand for that reason
>kind of annoying if you encounter the need for the odd item that most households would have, but you don't
>don't want to "just buy" anything, like "just buy" some special camping equip or some tools for a project which other people wouldn't think twice about
>have to think about purchases beforehand, especially for once-in-a-while items and anything bulky or heavy
>have to borrow other people's stuff sometimes, usually sucks in quality (housemate got shitty drip machine coffee pot that makes rancid tasting coffee...I need to purchase a french press now)
>can be inconvenient
>>
you sound like a cool dude OP. wish more people were like you
>>
>>29370014
I /min/ here
objectively best way to live
>>
>>29364435
Minimalist masterrace reporting in
>>
>>29370479

Tell me about your stuff and lifestyle anon.

I bought a japanese style futon bed, it's really comfy and good for the back, but more importantly it's easy to transport so if I move it's convenient to take along. It's lightweight and folds up, takes about as much room as a duvet or large comforter. I'm happy with it. Seriously comfy too. Was $180, free shipping. Don't need a big heavy expensive bedframe or boxspring nonsense or anything.
>>
File: 1423705832921.jpg (151 KB, 461x491) Image search: [Google]
1423705832921.jpg
151 KB, 461x491
So he told me, "I'm a minimalist"
>>
>>29371312
> implying we'd get pussy anyway
> implying we'd want a gold-digger if we had that kind of money
>>
>Buy anything I don't need immediately only when it's on a notable sale
>Have every useful cash back/rewards credit card so I can maximize discounts
>Drive POS car that is rusty but mechanically excellent
>Never bought a single DVD or Bluray
>Haven't bought a CD since I was like 13, never paid for iTunes or similar
>Buy books from community libraries where it's like 20 for $10 or rent from library
>Downloaded as many textbooks in college as possible, resold my others for a marginal profit or loss each semester

Feels good man. Paying off the rest of my student loan this year and I'm not even a wagecuck.
>>
>>29364435
>37y old
>I live with 130 euros a month
>have a bucket in the shower to catch water to put in the toilet
>I only have breakfast and dinner
>no car
>all my clothes are +10 years old
>never had a bank account
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.