[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /audioprod/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 17
File: AbSkjtL.jpg (292 KB, 1919x1049) Image search: [Google]
AbSkjtL.jpg
292 KB, 1919x1049
Who here /audioprod/?
>>
File: Screenshot 2014-09-20 22.27.23.png (249 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2014-09-20 22.27.23.png
249 KB, 1366x768
I do that shit broseef
>>
FL = shit - tier
>>
>>29357420
fuck off, bet you use garageband or something
>>
>>29357265
How to into? I also don't have money to spend on software
>>
File: ΩΩ.jpg (226 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
ΩΩ.jpg
226 KB, 600x800
>>29357265
https://soundcloud.com/sundreamgun/sets/balloons

I work on Studio One.
>>
im so unmotivated to work on my projects, ive been listening to stuff for inspiration but i cant get motivated to open fl and actually work for hours at a time

does anyone have tips ?
>>
i know shit-all about engineering, I just try to make dope melodies

where do you guys learn about it
>>
>>29357265
LOL FUCK 4K AMIRITE?
>>
>>29357885
piratebay and utorrent my nig
>>
>>29358051
force yourself to make music for 5 minutes everyday. just do this shit. everyone's music sounds like shit for at least 3 years when they start. just keep fighting thru, the worst shit you can do is giving up. don't give up on yourself because you don't make music you don't enjoy just yet.
>>
>>29357265
>>29357390

>FL Studio.

so you two been producing for about 2 weeks then?
>>
>>29358051

60mg of vyvanse usually does the trick
>>
File: 1454074118113.png (66 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1454074118113.png
66 KB, 400x250
>>29358266
Have an anime face
>>
>>29358266
I honestly don't see what the problem is.
What is with the hate on Fl Studio. It has the best UI and other known producers use it aswell.
>>
>>29357265
Ableton master race
>>
>>29357886

Good lord son

the mixing on this is horrendous. do you even know how to pan?
>>
>>29357420
DAW literally doesn't matter

anybody who says it does is a noob scrub who can't make music
>>
>>29358303

IM ONLYJOKEEEEN M8

honestly tho, the reason FL gets so much shit is its because its nearly everyone first DAW. so its going to have a "listen to my trap song i am only 12 years old XD" reputation
>>
File: Ey.png (173 KB, 275x285) Image search: [Google]
Ey.png
173 KB, 275x285
>>29357265

why are you using two reverbs on one track?
>>
>>29358342
>tfw I was that guy when I was 12
I miss FL Studio 7
>>
>>29357886

how long did it take you to put all of that together? this is pretty legit
>>
File: BORING.png (192 KB, 1364x700) Image search: [Google]
BORING.png
192 KB, 1364x700
i tried using ableton but i feel like im looking an an excel spreadsheet
>>
>>29358051
My advice would be to wait until you have a clear idea of what you want to make. Opening up your software, and fiddling around, expecting it to turn into a song isn't going to work. The idea must come first, even if it turns into something different from what you initially thought of. You can't expect fruit to grow if you don't have a seed to plant in the first place.

Now, I say this with a bit of insecurity, because I've been told that doodling until you have an idea is what artists are supposed to do in any medium. I never understood the concept of producers who advise "if you want to get better, you have to work every single day for a set amount of time". In my opinion, practicing this way doesn't lead to improvement, it leads you to habit. If you spend a set amount of time everyday producing, but in an mindless, uninspired, directionless way, then your music will ultimately turn out to be mindless, uninspired, and directionless.

If I AM actually inspired and have an idea, then great, I'll work on that shit nonstop for the entire day until I finish it, or however long it takes.

Maybe I just lack discipline. This whole thing might just come off as pretentious, but it's just what works for me.
>>
>>29358372
not OP but, what is ambient m8?
>>
>>29358224
it's just the whole engineering part thats confusing as fuck to me
>>
i have 2.5 hours of atuff from over the past year or so but i still only make 1 song every 2 weeks, is this bad? if i try to make something and im bot feeling it i just feel burnt out. i have went through spells of making 2 sobgs a week for a couple months though for whatever reason
>>
how do i make skrillex bass?
>>
abeton is the shit and looks dope, try using the song arrangement view instead of the "live view", once you get your head around the workflow you'll understand the "exel spreadsheet" look.
just use the loops you create to build your song, play with effects sends, etc.
Live has been my DAW for years, i have tried different ones but i always come back to ableton, i make more rock stuff and not just bleeps and blops, so its pretty flexible if you want to produce a couple different genres.
>>
>tfw there are just too many hobbies I want to pick up like 3d animation, music production, drums, motorcycles, and shooting
I work like 50 hours a week too and have a severe video game and internet addiction. I wish I could just abandon gaming and useless shit and start working on actual hobbies.
>>
is it worth getting Izotope Ozone for mastering?

i honestly feel comfortable just using my DAWs standard compressors, stereo tools, limiters ECT to do the job. cant see what it offers other an an all in one package of everything that ive already got for free
>>
File: 1434775160759.jpg (45 KB, 494x468) Image search: [Google]
1434775160759.jpg
45 KB, 494x468
>just spent the last 5 weeks trying to learn ableton after working only working with fl before
>complete confusion and frustration, little progress
>just now deciding to return back to fl
at least i can start making music again
>>
>>29358709
If you like what you've got then stick with those plugins.

A lot of the stuff that comes with Ozone I'd sooner use other plugins for, except the Maximizer. But then again, I'm only using Ozone 5 and have no idea what they've improved in the newer versions.

Of course, you could just pirate it, and then there's no harm done if you don't like it.
>>
lil somethin I'm working on

pls don't be too harsh. I'm extremely self critical as it is

https://clyp.it/lm1ak1oz
>>
>>29358466
That's because you're using session view. Use clip view.
>>
File: 0292.jpg (227 KB, 1032x581) Image search: [Google]
0292.jpg
227 KB, 1032x581
comfy command center
>>
If you want to get good at all your DAW has to basically be an extension of yourself.
Ableton might seem complicated but it really isn't. FL just seems less complicated because it has flashy graphics. FL is made for beginners.
Once you actually become proficient in producing and knowing what you're doing, all that flashy shit will seem more like an obstacle than something that helps.
You should get to the point where you are virtually producing inside your head and the DAW is simply the vessel it flows through.
>>
File: 1458547035842.png (248 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1458547035842.png
248 KB, 500x495
who Reaper here

>>29358709
it's good to try out different compressors and limiters to get a good understand about compression as a whole. don't buy ozone tho desu since you don't need it but you can still try it out
>>
>>29359005
Using Reaper currently. Just ran into an issue where it no longer recognizes my mixer or any external audio for that matter. If this program wasn't so damn solid for being free I'd be pissed.
>>
>>29358887

only listening on a shitty pair oh headphones right now but~

sounds like all your synth sounds are playing in the same octave.

lower the pitch of your pads, and layer a bass with it. remember to mix the bass around your kick drum so they dont clash

also cut some of the highmid frequencies on your pads because they are clashing with your lead and its kind of hard to hear.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-17+at+05.15.20).jpg (60 KB, 585x433) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-17+at+05.15.20).jpg
60 KB, 585x433
Spent 4 hours remixing a song last night, I don't think it came out that great, but I really made it as a rap beat.

Thoughts? Would really like criticism.

https://soundcloud.com/user-262160346
>>
File: 88px-Reason.jpg (19 KB, 88x598) Image search: [Google]
88px-Reason.jpg
19 KB, 88x598
>Reason i fun to use
>>
>>29359004
As someone who started on FL and moved to Ableton, I can confirm this. You'd be surprised by how similar they are.
>>
>>29358314
You're fucking retarted, there's a reason top software producers don't use FL. It's work flow is shit. Sure you can make the same sound that's not the question.
>>
>>29358982
nice dude. is that the mpk249? how do you like it? how responsive are the pads?
>>
>>29359049
ok ty

mixing is the weakest part of my game. i have good headphones, I just seem to lose patience so quickly. Mainly because I produce on emotion and hate technical shit. I find it so draining.
>>
>>29359060

yall need to read this and apply it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_imaging
>>
File: minimalistpepe2.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
minimalistpepe2.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
newfag here, I made a song on audacity last night, FL studio is really complicated. Does anyone have a simpler program for starters?

https://soundcloud.com/user-262160346
>>
>>29359167
No. If you want to learn how to use a DAW, start by using a DAW.
>>
>>29359167
this is actually really good. all samples?
>>
>>29359167

...FL is the simplest one.

Did you just turn it on for a day and got mad that you coundnt make anything? well looks like you wont be cut out for this shit.

DAWS are complicated. they need to be. music just like any other form of art has a near infinite amount of possibilities so obviously the programs you are going to be working with are complicated.

If you are serious about MAKING music then get your head down and learn. Yes its going to take a good number of years to make something that sounds good. Yes you will get frustrated and end up scrapping projects that you spent weeks on but for fucks sake its a hell of a mental journey. you will make and hear things that no one else in the world will have heard of before and you are learning a craft that can bring so much joy to so many people.
>>
>>29359167
Unless you can get your hands on logic Pro, you should probably stick to FL for now.
>>
>>29359404
Thanks! And yeah.
>>
File: 1431397543814.gif (589 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
1431397543814.gif
589 KB, 500x431
Anyone know some good resources to learn sound design?
>>
>>29359538

This desu I've looked and researched for so long but all resources I've found presume that you're at least a beginner and not completely new to the entire experience of producing music. Where should I start with NO musical background?
>>
I've just started learning how to use FL Studio. I have about 10 years background in playing piano and some theory but other than that no music experience at all.

I would just like to know...can somebody tell me what it is like to make your own music? The process over the years?
>>
The thing about producing is you just have to keep at it every single day or you'll never "git gud". But don't force yourself, just let it flow. I make 2 to 5 tracks a day but only because I just kept at it and yeah it did.turn into a habit and I have created a lot of duds, but I've also created some great sounding stuff on accident. still that work ethic is what you want to build
>>
File: Moe Swag.jpg (72 KB, 526x645) Image search: [Google]
Moe Swag.jpg
72 KB, 526x645
I have been producing for almost 5 years in FL, and i'm starting to play some small gigs. Shits fun to be honest with you guys, it's a lot of work though. I've been working on projects almost everyday for at least an hour these past 5 years and it's starting to show.
>>
>>29359538

Honestly the best resource is getting stuck in and studying the patches on your synth and reverse engineering them.

if you can turn off all the effects (including EQ and Compression) that are assigned to the patch and then turn off the filters.

Start off my looking at what waveforms are used. swap them round to see how each waveform alters the sound and feel of the patch. also take note of how many voices are being used and if there is any panning.

Look at the ADSR (Attack Decay Sustain Release) of the patch and take note what happens when you mess with each one. there are a lot of articles about this that can teach you if you are struggling.

turn on the filter again and mess around with it. again taking note of what happens when you move different parts like the cutoff, and the ADSR assigned to that filter.

Now turn the compressor and EQ (if your synth has that) again mess around take notes you know the drill.

now turn on the effects and question if they re actually needed or what you can change to improve the sound.

IF YOU ARE A COMPLETE BEGGINER: look at some youtube tutorials. BUT DONT COPY WHAT THEY DO. the best way to learn is through trial and error.
>>
>>29359642
how'd you get gigs?

i'd love to play gigs but i get anxious just linking friends to my souncloud. but it's a pipe dream
>>
>>29359642
if you cant get booked/haven't tried, do them yourself. I'm lucky enough to be able to host raves and DJ them. It's a much easier way to get your music out there.
>>
>>29359642
Serious question, what do guys who make electronic music actually do when they "play" a gig?
>>
File: 1465158873148.jpg (20 KB, 345x348) Image search: [Google]
1465158873148.jpg
20 KB, 345x348
I have a problem with midi notes playing indefinitely after playback.
>>
>>29359954
Usually i'm just doing a DJ set and play like 40 songs in an hour. Its usually mashups and using FX to smooth the transitions and buildups. I dont do much, but I have to constantly be loading and cueing up songs to play.
Other than that I have a fun time and dance around while loud music plays.
>>
File: bave.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
bave.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
>>29360016

>Using FX to smooth the transitions.

AIRHORN AIRHORN AIRH-AIRH-AIRHORN
>>
File: 1461814842207-r9k.gif (229 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
1461814842207-r9k.gif
229 KB, 500x579
Any of you cunts want me to whine, moan, scream, or rap over your muzak?
>>
>>29360065

I need a Tibetan throat singer for this ambient Tech House track im making. can you do that?
>>
>>29360059
this guy fucking gets it, you could replace Tiesto easily as number one DJ
>>
>>29359642
How do you get your gigs? What sort of venues are they held at? Do you just call or email them with an offer? Does social media presence matter when making an offer?

I live in a small urban city (population of ~75,000) and the venues here are mostly bars and cafes. The scene caters mostly to rock and country music, and the independent ones are usually thrash or punk shows.
>>
>>29360449
>Does social media presence matter when making an offer?
Yes, all accounts linked with your music (Streaming, Facebook, Twitter) play a role in getting booked. It depends alot on your following both locally and on the internet, this usually brings in more people, that brings in more money for ticket sales for the venue.
>How do you get your gigs?
>Do you just call or email them with an offer?
Usually if you have a manager or just someone who manages your legal and social presence, they can email or notify the bookers for that specific venue. If you hire a booker to get you gigs, it'll be easier to get your name out to different clubs and venues. If you're someone like me who is doing all that yourself, you have to email the venue (they usually have contact information on their website) and see if you can talk to whoever handles booking.
>What sort of venues are they held at?
If you are still not that known, you probably would start out at bars that have live music.
If you get to the point where you can hire someone to get you gigs, they can usually get you into higher up bars and nightclubs/venues.

If there aren't DJs doing their thing in your town, you might want to start branching out and getting small gigs at bars that have an electronic music scene.
>>
Spent over 1 year just opening up the same projects over and over because i never got the inspiration to make anything new.

Just spent 5 - 20 min a day just listening to my old shit before i stopped completely.
>>
>>29359005
Reaper here as well

Do you have trouble panning directly on the tracks? Because for some reason my shit is fucked in that regard. The whole program lags hard when i try and thus can't actually find the right panning spots.

Other than that i love Reaper. Simply a super solid piece of software.
>>
>>29358918
Clip view looks more like an excel spreadsheet than session view though.
>>
Do you guys have any ideas for projects to whet my production skill on? Things that will help me learn as an absolute beginner using fl studio. Ive been making tracks but i feel like there is some advice here
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.