[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you're a neet with loads of free time why not teach yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10
File: code.jpg (325 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
code.jpg
325 KB, 3888x2592
If you're a neet with loads of free time why not teach yourself programming?

This is my plan. Maybe in a year or so I could get a decent job.
>>
Largely a NEET here.

I spent a literal decade, 16-26 roughly, trying to teach myself programming.

Failed hilariously owing to my low IQ. My knowledge is nil.

Would not recommend.
>>
>>29356902
I started.
It was boring.
>>
>>29356902
Start of the slope.
You learn to make a calculator in java then suddenly you're cross dressing to code better and staying up all night teasing boys on omegle with your slender coding figure and knee socks.

Stick to cooking and upholstery.
>>
>>29356935

yeah if im a neet in the first place that means i have zero motivation/work ethic. good luck teaching myself something when all my movies/games are on the same machine im teaching myself with.

have to at least try though.
>>
i have absolutely no interest in getting involved with anything tech related. i do what i need with a computer and that's it. the people that do shit like code for a living seem like annoying faggots
>>
>>29357014
Tip: people get into programming naturally when they have the inkling that something can be done faster. It doesn't matter if you're 10, if you select & cut & paste lines in a text doc manually and it doesn't occur to you that there ought to be a sort program, you're not very smart.
>>
I learned a (very) little bit in high school. I didn't find it too engaging because the little programs we did seemed abstract, where would I expect to apply programming skills?
>>
>>29356902
I went to college for CS
programming was easy. Took home As in every CS class.
thing is they required you to do an "experiential learning" class to graduate. You had to get a job or internship, get it approved, and then write shit about what you did there. I couldn't get anyone to hire me and left without a degree, that one class short. Plenty of other kids that I studied with who were lesser programmers got jobs and went on their way to success.
Programming and IT is like everything else. You have to be a normie now. Not what you know, its who you know. They hire based on the "would I like to have a beer with this guy?" test, and whether you have an enthusiastic, extroverted personality. They don't give a shit if you have a 4.0 GPA or if you actually know anything.
also once you're out of college and not working for six months you're unemployable, since everyone assumes you're hopelessly out-of-date, and wonders whats wrong with you that nobody else wanted you.
>>
>>29357053
never had a need to do any of that because 95% of the time some autist already wrote something and posted it
>>
File: yourstolose.png (54 KB, 800x724) Image search: [Google]
yourstolose.png
54 KB, 800x724
good luck fags
>>
>>29357329
I literally have no idea what the fuck this graph/chart is
>>
>>29357348
Read the words down at the bottom, next to the words "Figure 3."
>>
>>29357329
I am >>29356935. My IQ is 90 and I can confirm it.

>>29357348
It's from that female scholar, right? Linda Gottfriedson, or what was she.
>>
>>29357380
really, 90, but you can namedrop like that?
>>
>>29357407
I spent five years of my life almost obsessively reading everything I could on IQ and didn't even get to read first five pages of Jensen's 'g Factor'. I more or less understand what a standard deviation is, but I could never remember what variance vs variation is, much less any statistical formula.
>>
File: straight outta reasons to live.jpg (60 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
straight outta reasons to live.jpg
60 KB, 627x627
>>29357329
>be autist
>professionally tested, 139 IQ
>excelled in university
>employers don't want you and view you as a liability because of the lack of extroversion, initiative, and interpersonal skills
>nobody ITT will believe me, you'll all just think I'm a dumb shit making excuses
>>
I'm too depressed to do anything.
>>
yeah, you can become a webdevcuck at best
good luck
>>
>>29357458
I would literally give my right arm to be in your position. I don't give a fuck about money or friends. I just want to understand stuff.
>>
>>29357458
I have around the same as you, and I have a 6 figure job programming even though I'm weird as fuck. You just gotta make friends with an extroverted person who takes a liking to you and let them be your embassy.
>>
>>29357329
>tfw smart but lazy
I will probably become a machinist or welder or electrician
>>
>>29357473
140s don't even understand stuff that well, you want to be 160+ to really understand human behavior
>>
File: stunned.png (178 KB, 573x495) Image search: [Google]
stunned.png
178 KB, 573x495
>>29357329

>When you learn Genetics mean everything
>>
>>29357514
I'm very open to that possibility. One of the (many many many) reasons IQ is underappreciated is that people don't realize IQs of people whom they daily read and admire. Most people have no clue that their favourite h.s. teachers were 120+ and their favourite writers are 130+. It's because no one talks of their IQ, and so people confuse *the average* (100) with the IQ of *the average person they think of*, which is as far from 100 as it gets (because all attention-grabbing creativity takes it). It's the small misunderstandings like that which I had to realize and accept the hard way and which most people aren't aware of.
>>
>>29357564
most of r9k has the IQ they need to make their life better, they are just caught in self defeated thought loops with low coping skills
>>
>>29357473
I remain convinced that anyone *can* understand most things. Including programming, higher mathematics, quantum physics, and so on. As best I can tell the difference is just that I see things in my mind more easily, and things just pop into focus more quickly.

If you're in it for your own desire to understand then there's no timetable, just read about things you're interested in. Not like anyone will know if you have to go slowly or go back and read something again.

I will say, the more you understand, the drearier the world looks, though. I still wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>29357599

My point still stands, fammo blammo
>>
>>29357597
In short, the vast majority of creativity in the world was created by the vast minority of the bell. Extreme Pareto.

>>29357622
You are placating your conscience and, worse, sacrificing your integrity by redefining capacity so to include free will, so to be able to claim in a just-worldly fashion that 'everyone can achieve everything if they try'. It's not even about me anymore; it's about the future generations whom your obscuration of reality of IQ keeps from being improved on the genetic level. But it's nothing I haven't explained dozens of times, and even it is just 1/50th of all related misconceptions. I'm far from even addressing every fallacy in your post. But it is really nothing new.
>>
>>29356902
Because programming gets you jobs that require lots of socializing and i can't do that.
>>
I already did that though
>>
>>29357380
I have a hard time believing that someone with a 90 IQ is able to type with the coherence you can.
>>
>>29357683
>You are placating your conscience and, worse, sacrificing your integrity by redefining capacity so to include free will, so to be able to claim in a just-worldly fashion that 'everyone can achieve everything if they try'
well if you don't think we have free will, then there's really nothing to discuss, is there? What will happen will happen.

>It's not even about me anymore; it's about the future generations whom your obscuration of reality of IQ keeps from being improved on the genetic level.
Remember where you are. None of us are going to improve (or damage) humanity at the genetic level. We're leaf nodes.
>>
>>29357785
To put it bluntly[1] for once, you know nothing about how much is missing from my life as a result of having had the loads[2] of time necessary for me to have learned basic English by 28.

[1] I actually misspelled that as 'blundly'.
[2] I actually misspelled that as 'loats'.
Believe it or not.

>>29357796
Wrong. Neither nonexistence of free will nor your relative insignificance as a person justifies voicing harmful beliefs, such as the belief that quality of one's life (incl. education, job, health, lifespan, and much more) depends on 'one's own choices and effort' as opposed to one's nature and nurture. And people's nature and nurture is only ameliorable when we acknowledge it as a real cause and study it. Which won't happen as long as we believe in free will.
>>
File: 1449290452252.png (2 MB, 1248x936) Image search: [Google]
1449290452252.png
2 MB, 1248x936
>>29357879
Hah, well fuck me, I just realized who you are.
>>
>>29357934
Well, I would wonder shamefully often whether I am going to be recognized in a (more or less) regular thread one day, and it happened at last. Hi.
>>
>>29357934
who is he? i don't visit r9k alot
>>
>>29357952
You probably don't remember me but I was that meditator from last summer who saw legitimacy in your perspective on the matter.

I think it was...July or August if memory serves?
>>
>>29357879
>Neither nonexistence of free will nor your relative insignificance as a person justifies voicing harmful beliefs, such as the belief that quality of one's life (incl. education, job, health, lifespan, and much more) depends on 'one's own choices and effort' as opposed to one's nature and nurture.
sounds to me that you just don't want to acknowledge that your own choices and effort - or lack there of - have any effect on the bad place where you wound up.
>>
File: 1465494365707.png (242 KB, 916x550) Image search: [Google]
1465494365707.png
242 KB, 916x550
>>29357973
He's behind 1/6th of all posts made to /r9k/. He is the puppetmaster behind all of our memes. He steers the masses of our board to his personal agenda. He is a selfish, apathetic god over all of us roaches.
>>
>>29357974
>I was that meditator from last summer who saw legitimacy in your perspective on the matter.

It didn't make you stop 'meditating' did it.

>I think it was...July or August if memory serves?

Perhaps. Then I'm afraid it might have been at the period which archive.moe didn't backup (and, consequently, desustorage.org didn't inherit).

>>29358008
'Own choices' cannot be acknowledged or disacknowledged, because they're not empirical. 'The place I'm in depends on me (as opposed to my parents/my genes/...)' poses no hypothesis, can't be tested, and explains nothing.

>>29358030
Ha. I appreciate.
>>
>another programming shill thread
>>
>>29358067
>'The place I'm in depends on me (as opposed to my parents/my genes/...)' poses no hypothesis, can't be tested, and explains nothing.

(And, consequently, can't be used to glean understanding as can help improve the lives of other people similar to me.)
>>
Don't go into CS unless you're genuinely talented. You won't be able to compete with pajeets and changs that work for 10,000 a year. Plus you constantly have to be learning new things and reading documentation endlessly, or else you'll be pretty much unemployable. A lot of ageism in the industry too, so if you aren't in your 20s then you're going to ignored. Also the common sentiment that programming is a good robot job is a meme. You have to deal with people, not as much as other jobs, but still enough so that there are much better choices if you want to stay away from people. Might I also remind you that tech these days is filled with normies.

Better off going into a regulated profession like engineering so poo in loos can't steal your jobs and so that you actually become more valuable as you age. I wish I did.

/rant
>>
>>29358067
kek, no, I still meditate. What I don't do, however, is neglect objective reality. What was that aspect you mentioned...something along the lines of meditating making you less aware of the real world in favor of a limited perspective? It was something along those lines that I actually agreed with, and still do to this day.
>>
>>29356902
Already know how. Been doing it for years. Still can't get a job.
>>
im too dumb to

tried multiple times an d couldnt
>>
>>29358148
It had a couple of facets. 'Meditation' can cause, how to call them, anti-cognitive changes to the brain: preoccupation with emotions and binary pseudoawareness of thoughts ('I just thought a little!'), reduced mind-wandering, increased empathy, etc. Studies actually confirm, even though extrapolation from indirect premises would suffice in their lieu (lack of studies establishing a relationship != proof of lack of relationship). Then 'meditators' reply to that that 'one can consciously choose to embark on mind-wandering or dispassionateness when needed'. This requires addressing the 'second-order free will' problem, namely that thoughts and desires (priorities) to moderate one's thinking are involuntary as well and 'meditation' can affect their occurrence as well. Then they bring up 'meditation being good in moderation', which requires explaining it's a cowardly tautology, as well as that definition of moderation is a state of the brain and is 'meditation'-shiftable as well. Etc.
>>
>>29358281
>>29358148
In short, I can tell you that in retrospect, it took a bit of both thinking and tenacity to keep paying consideration to things that sat uneasy with me re. rhetorics re. 'meditation' -- because literally everything I mentioned in that post I had to come up with and clarify myself, no one told me any of it.
>>
>>29358124
Engineering is too fucking hard, CS is honestly way easier to get a degree in, not to mention programming can be self-taught.
I mean I don't see what other alternatives there are for socially retarded robots, maybe the trades but I don't want to do manual labor. The only other suitable major I can think of is accounting, which is also filled with pajeets and changs anyway.
>>
>>29358281
>>29358315
I would agree, to a certain extent, that the preoccupation with emotions can have its drawbacks, yes, though it can be utilized for good so long as the person in question doesn't become too heavily entrenched in it.

As for free will? I no longer subscribe to it having legitimacy.
>>
>>29356902
>Maybe in a year or so I could get a decent job.
Yeah not unless you're the most charismatic person to have ever existed.
>>
>>29358381
>it can be utilized for good so long as the person in question doesn't become too heavily entrenched in it

This is also a tautology intended merely to be able to put the word 'harmless' before something, connotatively. Cf. the infamous 'paedophilia is fine as long as one doesn't act on it'.

>As for free will?

It serves to justify inaction, because 'the world can fix itself on its free will'.
>>
>>29357107
Unfortunately this guy is right.

They hired a qt girl at my job in IT and she didnt even know how to use a computer lmao.

Then the people who studied and worked to get there like me are fucked because we have to take all the workload because of incompetent people getting hired over everyone else becuz extroverted qt personalities :D:D:D

I want to kill someone.
>>
>>29357329
Teacher is way too far to the right. So many bimbos can become teachers, it's a joke profession nowadays. Looks like that data is from the 80s/90s though so I'm not surprised.
>>
>>29356902
Programmer is one of the worst jobs ever. You might as well get a job as a janitor, you will have to deal with less shit.
>>
File: penis nose.png (4 KB, 244x268) Image search: [Google]
penis nose.png
4 KB, 244x268
I taught myself a bit of Python when I was like 16, and I've mostly used it to automate mundane tasks so I could slack off ever since then.

Over my freshman year though, I started coding this blatant ripoff of Hotline Miami, except it was set at my university. I added some cool extra features to it too; it wasn't a complete clone. In the game, you played as our school mascot and you walked around the campus, which was littered with weapons and crazy gunmen, to find your target. The dean of the school (I used a pixel art version of his real picture in the game) sent you alerts on your phone, telling you to find and kill students who owed him money or who were trying to sue the university or something like that. It was supposed to be super realistic, using like a real map of my school that you could walk around and interact with. I had to stop programming it though, because someone told the RA. He told me he'd have to report me to the police if he found people playing the game.

Sometimes I think about starting that project up again, but my coding skills have become a little rusty.
>>
>>29357107
>he thinks that memorizing shit is "programming" because it's what he's tested on
>>
Teaching yourself programming to the point you're employable takes a huge amount of effort, discipline and determination most simply don't have.
>>
>>29357514
I'm 157 and I don't understand shit.
>>
>>29358779
This is false, but you wouldn't know because you are a lazy fucker who never gave any thought to the different between possessing social fluidity and awareness of factors it depends on.
>>
>>29358864
>>29358779
Actually, you even committed the necessary/sufficient.
>>
I already am very good at programming. It's the reason why I'm able to be NEET
>>
>>29358897
How does that work? You mean that it's keeping you from killing yourself? Because that's the only way I can think of that a basically either educational or occupational skill can result in remaining NOT in education or employment...
>>
File: 1441904861342.jpg (481 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441904861342.jpg
481 KB, 1920x1080
>>29357107
This, I graduated with a CS degree and some experience, but literally no one would hire me. From what I have learned online, sending in your resume online only have a 1% chance of success while actually knowing someone and getting referred by them to their company gives you a 40% chance of getting a job. Now with such a big gap since I have last worked, it is getting much more difficult for me.
>>
>>29356902
nope, coding is autistic as fuck and i have a strong distaste for numbers/math in general (worthless skill)

wish i actually had autism though because i have a really good idea for a rpg game
>>
>>29358554
>You might as well get a job as a janitor

besides this shit cleaning this actually sounds pretty comfy desu, wouldn't mind it at all if i was just mopping shit and driving those floor polishers all day
>>
>>29357348
something tells me that you're pretty far to the left
>>
strangely, I'm only motivated when im working. Like, when I've got a job I really get pumped to do cool programming and robotics shit, but when I'm living as a NEET I just want to watch anime and do nothing
>>
>>29358924
It's simpler than that. I've just finished a long stint at a well paying coding job, so I can afford to take a long time off.
>>
>>29359017

You sound like the worst sort of ideas guy. The sort that looks down on the people doing the hard and smart work. You sicken me.
>>
Shameless Jewish self-promotion: if there's any programmers here who want to start a business together I'm currently looking for a partner. I already have customers that want what we're selling and have offered us work already. But I need to find a like-minded partner to get perspective and stay motivated.

Why post this on 4chan? Because I have no friends IRL. Anyway, respond with a throw away email if you're interested or contact me directly over Bitmessage: BM-2cUdrjWmgVTuuC1tdXbZ5SRaCkMAVvv3Gr
>>
File: Patrick.png (9 KB, 128x190) Image search: [Google]
Patrick.png
9 KB, 128x190
>>29357458
I know that feel. Autism right when?
>>
>>29357458

fake it til you make it

this is your new job, learning to obey rules of social interaction is the first step. proper grooming is prime. make eye contact. smile. make small talk. just get out there and get used to failing until you don't care anymore, then find you're starting to somewhat get by.
>>
>>29360627
>Autism right when?
probably never. Normies have no sympathy for not understanding socializing. We're not pitiful creatures in need of help to them, like people with physical disabilities, or more severe mental problems, we're just annoying assholes. They also don't comprehend how anyone could be confused by things that come so naturally to them, so they don't have any sympathy for it.

>>29360777
nice trips

I doubt any employer wants someone who didn't finish his degree and has been a neet for two years, though. I don't know anyone who would be able to convincingly lie for me about that, either.
>>
>>29360882

i was unemployed for a decade. it's not impossible to get going again. you just have to make up your mind to do it. accept that you'll take any job out there to show you can be on time, dependable, etc., and you can get going again.
>>
File: 1457665178013.jpg (59 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1457665178013.jpg
59 KB, 600x600
>>29356902
How would I accomplish this?
>>
Im thinking of either doing adegree in programming software shit or just a comm college course in web development. To save time and money. Can i get a stable job with web development course? Its 2 years
>>
>>29356902
I want to get serious with programming, but I only have mobile internet so falling onto resource or tutorial for reference could take hours. Not even including the download time for any software I might need.

I did Python in HS and landed an A+ in the class. We started the course by setting coordinates and the like to draw things on the screen, then we made a quiz, and finally a few text based adventure games. I made a hangman game for our final project.

I've also diddled with Ruby Scripting in RPGMaker growing up, and DM coding on BYOND where I made quite a bunch of unfinished game projects.

I'm intending to eventually pick up GM for GameMaker when I get the chance so I can flesh out a few games and hopefully pick up myself up as a small indie studio and eventually go cooperate. I can do music composition, pixel art, writing, and general design fairly well so I'm confident I can do it once I get better internet.

Then maybe pick up C or C++ in the future.
>>
I'm a NEET, no job because of avoidant personality disorder and schizoid.

>>29356935
I have an IQ of 105, and solved 65 problems on Project Euler, which is fairly decent.
>>
>>29357107
>They hire based on the "would I like to have a beer with this guy?"
This is very true. I have to make a humongous effort to seem like someone I'm not during interviews.
>>
>>29357107
>They don't give a shit if you have a 4.0 GPA or if you actually know anything.
Of course they don't care.
You wouldn't have a degree if you didn't know shit.

Knowing the subject matter is not a reason to hire someone, it's a requirement to consider hiring them at all.
>>
>>29364160
Read SICP and start studying mathematics.
This """fun""" shit won't get you anywhere.
>>
>>29357107
Can confirm. There's this girl in my CS classes who's a literal idiot, like she has to be sub IQ 100. She's failed 6 courses, can't complete honors (and my university's a joke so really everyone should be able to do honors) and has never coded anything outside of a class in her life. Nevertheless, she's really really sociable and managed to get an internship at IBM. On the other hand I have this other friend who's really smart, she has a 90+ average but she's shier than anyone I've met, and she managed to get an internship at this tiny car company in my city.

Unfortunately when it comes to hiring it's usually the business and HR types who decide things, and when it boils right down to it "networking skills" and being a normie dictate far more than your actual programming ability or aptitude to learn.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.