[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I start a band in this day and age where music is practically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
How do I start a band in this day and age where music is practically dead?
>>
music isn't dead, you're just a pleb. if you bothered digging deeper than top charts you would discover that.
>>
>day and age where music is practically dead
Don't even bother. Your band is going to suck.
>>
>>29355406
Just fucking go for it. As long as you have good equipment and good, well-though out material, you'll be okay.
>>
Music is more alive than it's ever been you crazy guy
>>
File: le music defener.png (811 KB, 651x2881) Image search: [Google]
le music defener.png
811 KB, 651x2881
>>29355406
>tfw le music is dead
>>
>>29355406
Don't start a band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPxlenE-kic

memes aside, it depends on what genre of music you're planning on making. Always keep an eye out on craigslist and whatever else where starving musicians will play anything for pennies, and get involved in your local music scene but again whichever specific scene you're interested in

>>29355461
>>29355476
Music is alive, but making real money from it is nearly impossible unless you make top 40 retard music. Everyone on the internet is so entitled that they don't think that music is something that should be paid for.
>>
>>29355516
I genuinely miss rage comics, ironic or not, bring me back to 2007 senpai.
>>
>>29355553
If you're in it for the money you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>29355461
This, the fact that you don't know music is alive and well means you don't really keep up with music so your music is probably generic throwback shit that's been done better several times already.
>>
>>29355588
I'm not some freegan dumpster-diving libertarian or something, I believe that people deserve monetary compensation for their time and effort in making something enjoyable.

Funny how people always say that shit about music "boo what a sellout!" but no one ever gives shit to a fine cuisine chef.
>>
File: eAygxoX.png (755 KB, 651x3146) Image search: [Google]
eAygxoX.png
755 KB, 651x3146
>>29355516
Love this edit of that comic.
>>
>>29355642
I agree. But again, you should put the art first. When you put money in front of the art, you're going to get the 1980s all over again.
>>
>>29355741
>But again, you should put the art first.

Why?

I'm not saying you should necessarily put the money first, but they should at least be equal priorities. No other profession worries about 'selling out' or their intergrity, everyone wants to get paid and should get paid. MMA fighters want to get in the UFC, actors and writers want to get into LA and Hollywood, football players want to play in the NFL, chefs want Michelin stars for their restaurant, etc.

There's more than enough starving artists who play niche music that I'm sure is deeply appreciated by only a few thousand people, there's no need to compete with them.

> you're going to get the 1980s all over again.

The 80s weren't bad for music, better than today at least.
>>
>>29355553
But I wanna be in a punk band. ;-;
>>
File: 1464582534848.jpg (12 KB, 424x394) Image search: [Google]
1464582534848.jpg
12 KB, 424x394
>>29355985
>tfw you will never be in a straight edge, hardcore, basketball shorts wearing youth crew band.
>>
>>29355406
Become a Japanese pop idol
>>
>>29355985
stop using emoticons dumb underageb&
>>
>>29355985
okay well you're lucky cause punk is still one of the bigger countercultures and music scenes.

I don't know where you live but 100% for sure there's a punk scene. If you're in college/university, or even high school, check like their billboard and newspaper or something (sorry I'm older and idk if schools still do that) or like I said look up your local craigslist and the facebook pages of your local music clubs.

Also the great thing about punk is that you don't really have to be a good singer or musician.
>>
File: 1.png (404 KB, 904x596) Image search: [Google]
1.png
404 KB, 904x596
>>29356092
>tfw you can't have a boyfriend if you're a jpop idol
>>
>>29356193
I live in a very religious/hipster area, so it'll be hard, but I'll do my best.

>>29356184
:3
>>
>>29355970
The 1980s was oversaturated with so many different bands trying to do the exact same thing. It was stagnant. ESPECIALLY compared to now. We're amongst a popular music renaissance. Pop music is incredibly varied and experimental right now.
>>
>>29356419
Pop music now is worse than pop music 20 years ago. I blame Fun. for killing both rock and pop at the same time.
>>
>>29356310
easier than you think senpai, punk rock is very reactionary that's why it came out of some the most conservative and religious decades & places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2rWM7OV-Ig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d158f_jHxfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuwT000iMWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix9VCgrJY98
>>
>>29356419
>Pop music is incredibly varied and experimental right now.

No.

It's nothing but the same 4 chords and almost nothing but watered down R&B and boy bands. It's virtually all the same lyrical themes as well about owning lots of money and girls having asses.

The 80s, and 90s, had alternative rock and metal and punk rock as well as electro and goth and gangster rap and everything else. Everything back then that was still "alternative" was still mainstream. Korn and Blink 182 were on the same charts as Britney Spears.

These days even country fell victim to the pop meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o
>>
>>29356684
I don't think you've listened to anything post-1999.
>>
>>29355657
the guy in the wig ain't wrong

hell, even fucking Nujabes is better than the Beatles
>>
>>29356826
Our radio station at work has to be stuck at a top 40 pop music station senpai, I've worked there for 10+ years.

I don't know what you think is "incredibly varied and experimental" about something like umbrella ella ella ey ey ey ey
>>
>>29355553
>Everyone on the internet is so entitled that they don't think that music is something that should be paid for.
it isn't, because there's always another guy right behind you waiting to start another band. So many people want to make music that its not scarce. This in addition to the fact that once you have a digital file you can make a billion lossless copies for no cost.
>>
>>29357324
>once you have a digital file you can get a billion lossless copies torrented for no profit.

I've also heard that artists are now supposed to just give away their music for free or let people what they want, and that's just great if you're already a millionaire meme band like Radiohead or Nine Inch Nails. Not if you have to work two jobs to pay the rent.
>>
>>29357524
if you don't do it there's another band that will. Just because you need it to be worth X dollars to support you, doesn't mean that that's it's market price.
>>
>>29355657
Fucking Scaruffi.
>>
>>29355611
>>29355461

>I never tried because I am too artistically shallow and concerned with the opinions of others and cannot take on the ideal of artistry and believe my attempt of it must be fruitful: the posts

literally make a like a coat and hang yourself niggas.

>>29355553

Music makes my car payment and internet bill along with paying for itself so I can't complain about it. It takes a lot of work though, so that's what it is at the end of the day.
>>
>tfw only play piano and too lazy to learn any other instrument
>tfw will never join a stoner doom metal band
Hold me famalams
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.