[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you cope with the fact that you are an oxymoron? You
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: tin_toy_robot_3650.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tin_toy_robot_3650.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
How do you cope with the fact that you are an oxymoron?

You claim to be "robots", but one definition of a robot is:
"Robot: used to refer to a person who behaves in a mechanical or unemotional manner." That is from an actual dictionary, and isn't the main definition, but the one most commonly used when referring to humans as a robot.

Despite this moniker, this board is almost completely full of threads about relationships, being lonely, hating women, alpha/beta designations, etc. To actually believe in any of these concepts, by definition, makes you not a robot. Robots are devoid of human emotions. A real robot does not feel strongly one way or another about anything, let alone loneliness, hate/anger, or attraction. A real robot is asexual. A real robot does not get upset, or jealous. A real robot is satisfied simply existing and doesn't feel the need to post the most inane and repetitive threads day in, day out.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Can anyone explain this?

>the irony of the captcha: "I'm not a robot" is not lost on me
>>
Lurk moar newfag. It's based on the name of the board.
>>
>>29349897
I have lurked /r9k/ since 2008.

I expect a serious answer, please elaborate.
>>
bump

It's sad that this thread will probably die.
>>
Everything you described is superficial

Robots will never be happy because they dont fit. At best the true robots can emulate human emotions and desires but is just an empty goal or something to blame. An actual robot isnt happy existing because it has no concept of self but sadly we dont get that luxury
>>
>>29350908
I don't think it's superficial, it's intrinsic.

Your logic is cyclical, you say robots feel sad because they are bad at feeling, but wouldn't the act of being sad be a feeling in and of itself? It's the same as someone who cuts himself or herself or claims to "be suicidal" for attention without actually intending to commit suicide, rather childish if you ask me, not to mention illogical.

Human emotions are superficial, fleeting. True robots do not possess human emotions. Emotions are a weakness, include the emotion of not feeling accepted, happy, or lonely. A real robot is cold, intelligent, and constantly calculating.
>>
>>29351103
>robots feel bad because they are bad at feeling
not the only reason. everybody has their own problems here

a person is never going to exactly fit the description of a robot but the tittle is more about the comparison to a normal person. Relative to them the people here are 'robotic'
>>
>>29349869

The moniker itself has an unfirm logical basis, that's correct. Especially when people go off about what a 'true robot' is.

But. The 'robot' in R9K refers to the originality script that runs. THAT'S the robot. Naturally people who came here call themselves robots because they needed some kind of designation, Just like /pol/tards and /k/ommandos.

From there, the culture developed to what you see today.
>>
>>29351195
While your lack of proper spelling is embarrassing and makes me not want to respond at all...

So a robot's being is entirely defined by normies? Wouldn't it be better if they were completely independent? It makes no sense to me to call them robots, you should call them vassals, or betas, or something along those lines. Robot is an incorrect term and does not accurately describe it, that's all I'm saying.
>>
>>29351212
So you agree that it's fallacious, or at the very least inaccurate, to call a human being, or poster on this board, a "robot". Is that correct?

I agree it's fine for a board to have a designation, but is it necessary to have one that is so misleading and inaccurate?
>>
>>29351589

I agree, and yet I feel it's within reason. It certainly fits for people who have difficulty expressing their thoughts and emotions. A stoic person can seem cold, and unfriendly, even if that's not the case.

Additionally, I would like to approach this question from a robotics perspective. In that particular field there's a phenomenon known as 'the uncanny valley': It's triggers automatic revulsion and discomfort in people to see something that closely resembles a human. However-- things are off. Minor details: stiffness of body language, positioning of body, voice. These little things trigger a subconscious reaction in the viewer.

So what happens someone who is human but doesn't check off the same boxes? What about someone who is stiff, silent, has jerky movements, or moves too fast?

There are some of us that live in that uncanny valley. There's just something about us that makes people uncomfortable. We're certainly not *bad* people, but we miss alot of subtle social clues and that can make us seem strange, even though we're baseline human.
>>
>>29350002
Lurk moar newfag
We call ourselves robots because the name of the board is robot9001, because of the robot script running to prevent duplicate posts

consider suicide famalam.
>>
>>29350002
If you're a supposed oldfag, why are you making threads about stupid semantics?

Shit bait.
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 728x546
It's a meme, you dip.

Tfw no sexy kgf
>>
/pol/acks do not have to be from poland

Robots do not have to be emotionless

It's a named based on the board, there's no meaning to it, stop trying to assign one
>>
>>29349869
sorry I'm a schizoid

I don't care about any of that shit, no idea why miserable sad sack motheruckers come here. Although normie tourists are even worse.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 480x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 480x380
We are Feel Artists. One must possess the highest levels of empathy in order to participate in our feel hive mind.
>>
>>29351547
everything is defined based on the norm

less spelly more thinky
>>
File: 12.png (9 KB, 600x177) Image search: [Google]
12.png
9 KB, 600x177
>>29351547
also identify the spelling errors
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.