[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Foolproof way to learn any language: >learn the 300 most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: cool pepe.jpg (6 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
cool pepe.jpg
6 KB, 227x222
Foolproof way to learn any language:

>learn the 300 most common words
>watch tv
>read the newspapers
>you will pick up the subtle nuances of sentence structure

You are now a master of the language.

Works every time!

Find a flaw.
>>
File: languages.png (156 KB, 860x3034) Image search: [Google]
languages.png
156 KB, 860x3034
>>29346988
I'm doing exactly this, but instead of learning the 300 most common words, I'm trying to learn 3000 most common words.

And as for sentence structure, I'm going to study that at least a little bit. Practicing grammar sucks but it's good to reinforce your understanding every now and then.
>>
>>29347159
Where does irish fall on that scale?

Also why do you keep making this thread OP?
>>
>>29346988
Oh my god, fuck off.

blank
>>
No this will not work.
You need to be banned because you are giving out bad information.
>>
>>29347301
nah its not 'bad' info it's just kinda misleading
learning 300 most common words is a great place to start but he wrong that you can become a master of the language by watching movies
>>
>>29346988
>stop using the language because it's not relevant to your everyday life
>1 year later you've forgotten everything
>>
OP I want to thank you for these threads. I took your advice and in 24 hours I had the 300 words down. I started watching tv and I am now officially a master in the language.
My boss's boss overhead me speaking and said he could really use somebody like me in HIS office.
I just got a big promotion with a fat pay raise.
Thank you OP!
>>
>>29347265
I'm not OP.

As for Irish, I don't really have much knowledge of it. I would guess that it would probably go on medium, although I heard the Irish grammar is pretty hard.

If you are motivated and genuinely want to learn it then I don't think that you would have that many issues tbqh
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 640x687) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 640x687
>>29347439
original textless posts
>>
>>29347439
>autism intensifies
original
>>
>tfw im too lazy to even learn 300 words
>tfw so lazy i cant even do the shortcut
>>
lolwut? sounds too good to be true
>>
>>29347801
>sounds too good to be true
because it is.op is full of shit
>>
How many times are you going to post this?
>>
300 just doesnt seem like enough
>>
>>29347159
I want to learn Chinese but that picture is pretty discouraging
>>
File: balaklavabase007-22.jpg (140 KB, 800x515) Image search: [Google]
balaklavabase007-22.jpg
140 KB, 800x515
>>29346988

still doesn't work with japanese, you experienced spergyfaglord
>>
File: cool frog.png (74 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
cool frog.png
74 KB, 227x222
>>29347994
>foolproof way to learn any language
>ANY
it's like you didn't even read the OP
>>
>>29348068
>it's like you didn't even read the OP
oh believe me i read it- the first 10 time you posted it
>>
i might give this a shot and learn spanish since that will soon become my cucked state's official language
>>
>>29348195
are you in california m8?
>>
>tfw haven't practiced Spanish for a year now but if you give me a paragraph of it I can understand it perfectly
>when people speak it I can't follow even a single word

Yeah if you're not immersed in the speaking environment you simply cannot learn the language IMO.
>>
File: cool guy.png (74 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
cool guy.png
74 KB, 227x222
>>29347379
>>29348447
this is where watching tv comes in. watch an episode of some tv show every day and you'll be able to maintain the language
good luck
>>
>>29348195
i assume youre cali im arizona but i wanna learn it cause i hear all these mexicans around me and i wanna know what theyre saying
>>
>>29348537
Why don't you focus on mastering English before you move onto Spanish?
>>
>>29348570
His English was flawless.

In fact, language correctness doesn't even exist. Everyone has his own grammar validity function; some are simply codified by national academies.
>>
>>29348537
>>29348570
BTFO!
you have been muted because no fun allowed here
>>
>>29348614
>a language is whatever you want it to be
fucking kek
>>
>>29346988
won't work
if it worked? You'd charge $200 per person for the method and some starting instructions.
>>
>>29348696
It is. The concept of an idiolect is the only real linguistic concept. In fact, the very idea of a cutoff of a language as opposed to a dialect/slang/variety/vernacular/... isn't real. As I say, there is only one language, human language, except some parts of it are occasionally fixed with respect to either spelling, pronunciation, or meaning, and so we come to recognize them as set: for instance, we have the idea of the word 'cat' (as opposed to a continuum of realizations of the idea, including e.g. French 'chat' or children's misspellings as 'kat' or 'cet' or whatever, or mispronunciations, which nonetheless are still recognized) or the idea of the part of speech of 'verb' (which we arbitrarily recognize as distinct from e.g. English participles -- in reality, we can just consider participles as inflections of verbs). But in reality, all kinds of cutoffs are irreal. Who says that the root form of a word has to be the noun in case of English, or first person in case of Latin? It's arbitrary. Who says where borrowings begin to belong to the language? Who says that a phrase becomes a word when its morphemic structure is obscured (e.g. that 'faux pas' becomes a word when we forget it means 'false step')? Who says that certain dated affixes are unproductive as soon as a certain % of population stops recognizing them? Who says that a word is separated by spaces and not by hyphens (is 'avant-garde' one word or two?)? Who says punctuation marks are not words (what's the grammatical difference between 'as' in 'as soon as' and '(' in '(falsely)'?)? And so on so on so on.

97 % of what's taught in language are arbitrary personal rules. We should teach the abstract principles not the particular realizations.
>>
>>29348893
tl;dr a linguistic fact is the general fact of is_it_grammatical(node(node(node, node), node), personal_grammar). Everything beyond this is just arbitrary lexicography.
>>
>>29347159
>tfw have sort of tossed around the idea of learning Japanese in my head
>watched a few anime in Japanese and picked up on various words and sentence structure at least
>tfw pretty terrible at learning languages
>tfw I know it's probably never going happen
>>
>>29348948
...Or, of course, the parsing function preceding that, whose purpose is building the tree structure from the flat structure of 'soundsoundsoundsound' (which can be sound(sound, sound, sound) just as well as sound(sound(sound(sound)))).
>>
>>29346988
Spanish is fucking shit. Fuck spain. Fuck spanish. Fuck anyone who speaks spanish. It's a trash language for retards. If god existed, he would hate spanish. Anyone who learns it should be treated like a mentally ill person.
>>
When I was learning Spanish, we spent like no time actually memorizing words. That was the easy part. We spent the majority of our time on the rules of grammar, like how to conjugate verbs and all these stupid rules and stupid exceptions to all the rules. You're not going to learn how to use the words from just memorizing a list of words. Nobody is going to understand what you're saying if you just say a bunch of words. Phrases that make sense in English might not make any sense in other languages.
>>
>>29349062
why though
this is a christian board btw
>>
>>29349003
>>29349289
not enough content for filter
>>
>>29349062
>>29348754
hmmmmmmmm
orignal comment
>>
>>29349003
dont give up anon

i believe in you man
>>
>>29349062

Spanish is an objectively bad peasant language, but Spain is pretty good, especially the green belt in the north.

Consider that as bad as Spanish may be, it's still leagues better than every African and Asian language.
>>
File: gerry-adams-19-390x285.jpg (27 KB, 390x285) Image search: [Google]
gerry-adams-19-390x285.jpg
27 KB, 390x285
>>29347265
Irish is easy

its an Indo European language (making it relatively easy to learn) and was greatly simplified during its revival in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Once you learn the sounds the letters make you can pronounce every word and it the grammar is straight forward. Everyone in Ireland is forced to learn it in school (though very few actually learn it) so there will be plenty of material out there to use to learn it. It has next to no native speakers, its heavily subsidized and supported by the Irish/EU/Stormont governments and carries a lot of Irish Republican connotations.

It really is a beautiful looking and sounding language though. Just keep in mind not too many people speak it.
>>
>>29349756
any good resources m8?
>>
>>29349590
Incorrect, i'd rather tongue clicks and banzai over niggerspanish. Eat shit.
>>
>>29349800
https://www.duolingo.com/course/ga/en/Learn-Irish-Online (the better of the two)
http://www.rte.ie/easyirish/
>>
>>29349866
>duolingo
the meme answer
thats like suggesting khanacademy
>>
>>29349866
Thanks. I'll look into those
Do they deal with pronunciation?
>>
>>29349892
its a good introduction to Irish that will give a feel of it and help someone decide whether they want to dish out money
>>
>>29349964
do those things work on pronunciation?
>>
>>29350072
yeah duolingo will have the words read

also try some of the youtube tutorials if you want to learn better pronunciation
>>
>>29350120
ok thanks pham i will check those out
>>
>>29347439
Holy shit it actually works. I learned French in a week and some girls heard me speaking it when I was talking to myself. They said it was extremely hot and I got laid that night.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.