[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much more dangerous would the world be if magic existed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: tcg-series8-178-large.jpg (221 KB, 704x547) Image search: [Google]
tcg-series8-178-large.jpg
221 KB, 704x547
How much more dangerous would the world be if magic existed? Like flame conjuring, controllings winds etc.

Would modern day tech be enough to compete with it?

Minimal autism please
>>
>>29319795
modern tech probably woulnd't develop. It would prob be like avatar or something. Anyone without magic would die off or be killed and people with similar abilities would tribe up.

Until 1 tribe rules or destroys the other tribes there would be no advancement because of constant war, unless somehow everyone is peaceful but how likely is that?
>>
>>29319885

Well I mean, countries have nukes and armies, and there isn't any pointless war right?
>>
Cause and effect needs a carrier; for you to mentally influence something there still needs to be laws of (by then) physics governing the degree to which you're able to exert the influence, conditions in which it applies, etc. So basically it's a meaningless question because you're asking 'what if the laws of reality were no longer obeyed'. There always have to be *some* laws; you can take or add some for the sake of hypothesis, but a hypothesis must have some content.
>>
>>29319936
tl;dr if magic existed, it would not be magic, just different kind of physics. In fact, magic is impossible by definition.
>>
>>29319936
you literally want to argue whether his hypothetical is worth discussing. how boring are you? entertain ideas, will ya?
>>
>How much more dangerous would the world be if magic existed?

Probably wouldn't be much more dangerous. Bad people will always find ways to do bad things, good people will always try and stop bad people from doing really bad things. If not everyone can use magic, then it's safe to assume there would at least be equal numbers of good and bad people that do. Hell for all we know it actually does exist in small numbers, and they stay in secret.

>Would modern day tech be enough to compete with it?

A bullet is a bullet. Unless they all have magical means to stop it, they're still going down. Same for other conventional weapons. Explosions and fire and shit like that will kill you whether it came from someone's hand or from a manmade weapon.

>>29319936
>>29319960

>minimal autism please
>>
>>29319967
>>minimal autism please

Translation: 'don't disagree with my premises please'.
>>
>>29319904
but why compare it to current world dynamics? we can't mentally manipulate elements..

Think of indians, but instead of bows and arrows they have element manipulation. would society ever get off the ground?
>>
>>29319936
>>29319960

What part of minimal autism wasn't clear to you?
>>
>>29319978

No it means, it's clearly an impossible scenario but it can be fun to discuss it anyway.

Go away.
>>
>>29319960
>Using tl;dr as a summary

reddit please go and stay go.
>>
>>29320010 >>29319967 >>29320026
My problem with OP's scenario is not that it is impossible, but that it is too unspecific. I would happily (try to) discuss what if humans were winged, or some sort of elemental chemical reactivity were increased, or humans had organs capable of emitting some sort of radiation, which all are plausible venues of 'magic' and indistinguishable story-wise. But we need particular changes to discuss.

>>29320031
eat;shit
>>
>>29319992
>i'm actually considering the thought, but the autists who want to argue the scenario as a literal impossibility are the ones getting attention

be honest. you wanted the asperger retards incapable of wonder
>>
>>29319978

>STOP HAVING FUN IT'S NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE I THINK YOUR PREMISE IS DUMB

I bet you hate all fiction media because "it's impossible that it could exist"
>>
>>29320052
See >>29320050 for direct examples that it is not true. I would happily discuss what would happen to a anatomical dragon if it appeared in our world, or even simple mindreading.
>>
>>29320075
(...But such mindreading has to be rooted in a particular discussion-enabling mechanism, e.g. a scanner of cortical activity or whatever.)
>>
>MINIMAL AUTISM PLEASE

literally only the autist is getting attention. how fucking shit is this. it was such a fun thought to entertain.

SAGE
A
G
E
>>
>>29319795

Modern day tech would compete because it can be mass produced, and then given to normal people. Training in them should also be faster.

Governments would probably have specialized SWAT teams for dealing with magical individuals. A magical criminal would essentially be treated as a heavily armed one.

Magical children would be reported and registered, and government would keep a massive database on the magically gifted. Any time a crime where magic was used, the database would be searched. Governments would also aggressively recruit magical people into their ranks, possibly in the aforementioned magical SWAT teams themselves.

People with magical abilities may automatically be qualified as chads in real life, and may lead a somewhat alpha life even if they aren't working with the government.

Long story short, we will end up with bureaucracy, and typical human nature and war and government will still triumphed.

This is using your example of flame conjuring, wind control and whatnot, and assuming no magical person is strong enough to duplicate the effects of a nuke or be immune to heavy fire somehow. The game would drastically change if you do have demi-god level people with magical abilities.
>>
>>29320115

Nah no demi god stuff. We don't need some magical fedora tipper nuking half the planet for fun.
>>
What kinda magic? If there were no restriction and if it would go up to necromancy, mind-control, psychokinesis and shit like that, i doubt it would, Especially if there were a cult/ bonding of several people with terroristic intentions.
>>
>>29319795
Assuming the idea that a magical society wouldnt develop as a technolical has, is that why all fantasy takes place in a medival setting?
>>
>>29320115
this is assuming an x-men type universe where the magically gifted are born post modern and it's not a trait of early man?
>>
>>29320334
>this is assuming an x-men type universe where the magically gifted are born post modern and it's not a trait of early man?

Kinda. Like another anon said earlier, if magic has been around since the beginning of men then we would develop very differently.

We may have a medieval/renaissance level of technology at best, but bolstered by magic.

Refridgerator? Does not exist. You might have an ice box with ice made by the local ice mage delivered to you daily. Maybe you'd luck out and marry a girl who can make her own ice.

Central air, heating in the winter, fire used for cooking, etc, would all be magically provided instead of through technology.

Magic would fill a lot of gap that technology now fills, but since magic is not something everyone possess, and probably takes time to master, magically powered convenience would be available to the rich only. Society would have a greater gap between the rich and poor. Magical family lines would exist where the people only marry other magically gifted to try and preserve their blood line.
>>
>>29319795
The world would be safer with people using magic to alleviate natural disasters and I'm sure the police would use magic.

I also think tech would be able to compete with it but not our tech except for guns. They would be able to make different better tech using their magic to help.
>>
File: image_16.jpg (132 KB, 1060x988) Image search: [Google]
image_16.jpg
132 KB, 1060x988
I imagine it'd be pretty close to something like shadowrun and magical people would have to get licenses and stuff in order to use their magic legally. Non magical people would probably be a bit "racist" towards them and not trust them. There might even be a cool mixing of magic and technology like basically modern versions of magical artifacts.
>>
>>29319795
I'm thinking Discworld.
Magic would start out laborious full of complex rituals, but eventually the process becomes streamlined as scientists study magic. In the end it'll just become another field of scientific study.
>>
If it just popped up today, like suddenly the the dark portal opens and warlocks start entering our world or something then we'd definitely have a period of social unrest and insecurity while we adapt to magic.

If it always existed tech wouldn't be as developed, new things only being invented when they can't br replaced by magic or when people go through a "wisserds r bad" phase.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.