[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else /shit vocabulary/ here? How to I improve myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: 1463075321578.jpg (75 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
1463075321578.jpg
75 KB, 600x596
Anyone else /shit vocabulary/ here? How to I improve myself
>>
>>29317648
My vocabulary is so shitty, I didn't even know how to reply to this post to say that it was relatable.
>>
Read more books. Old ones that aren't retarded. Google words you don't know.
>>
Read books and look up the word of the day from a website like:

www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/
>>
>>29317679
I google words I don't know pretty often, but I think I forget them, and yeah, I should probably read more, but when I'm reading and I don't know a word I usually just skip over it because I'm too involved in the book
>>
What an absolutely retarded question. How else would you expand you vocabulary, other than reading?

Don't bother with manga and comics.
>>
>>29317702

I read books on my phone. They're cheap on the play store, and you can look up the meanings of words right then and there, using the vocabulary that comes with playbooks.
>>
>>29317702
To expand your vocabulary you must usw New words in conversations or your inner monologue
>>
Any time you use a "big" word around normies they just act like you're a fucking alien anyway. Why do you give a shit about expanding your vocab?
>>
>>29317702
whenever I find a new word or expression I like, I repeat it in my brain a like 50 times throughout the day. Seems to be the only way I actually remember it.
>>
>>29317648
Dunno, curently my english vocabullary is bigger than my mother language.
You wouldnt believe how many problems I have because of this.
>>
>>29317648
I now really want nuggets but I'm unsure about walking half an hour to get them.
Why do you do this to me OP?
>>
File: 1420603260684.jpg (20 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
1420603260684.jpg
20 KB, 392x243
>tfw all the books and other forms of entertainment you consume are either in english or in japanese
JUST. I am very good talking my native language, obviously. Its not something you forget, but people do say that I sound "stiff" and "formal" with the way I use the words. As there are basically 3 popular ways to talk. 1 the formal version, 2 the normal relaxed version and the third way is to talk in the dialect of the region.
Hard to learn how to speak dialects as a shutin, but I do understand them perfectly. My mom has a heavy regional dialect. Based mom.
I dont know whats my point with this, Im just writing stuff.
>>
>>29317754

Because impressing normies isn't the only thing on our minds.

>>29317756

If you keep reading, you will find that many words that you don't know keep coming up repeatedly. Eventually, through context, you will have them ingrained in your memory.
>>
>>29317648
Read.

I don't even read anything much other than shitposts now although I was a voracious reader in my youth. I have a very extensive vocabulary and because of my eloquence people constantly assume I'm smart despite me being stupid.
>>
>>29317771
You are not alone. When I was in high school I would barely talk to people in real life aside from my sister. She is also fluent in English so I could just switch to it midsentence because I was better at expressing myself in it than in my native language, that or I would just use random English words out of nowhere. So when I would actually go out and talk to people I would sound too formal or be completely unable to express myself.
That is probably because I would talk way more in English online and rarely ever have long conversations in my native language.
>>
>>29317648
the only words I say according to my social worker is I don't know, not really, kind of,yeah, no
>>
>>29317648
>tfw decent vocabulary but it takes longer for me to come up with what to say in real time conversations
>>
Vocabullshit.
>>
>>29318070

Maybe you should just speak in a way that is natural for you, instead of trying to impress people with your big words.

If you have to artificially insert impressive words in everyday conversations, then you don't really have that big of a vocabulary, because if you did, it would come naturally.
>>
>>29317648
Read books (older books are good for unusual words), and used spaced repetition software (eg. Anki) to memorize definitions of every word you don't know.
>>
>>29318095
Not that poster, but this is not really true. You will often have the feeling that there's a better way to phrase your thought if you just wait and let it brew for just ten more seconds. I am increasily finding myself just flatly asking people to give me some extra time for my mind to wander to put it the best way rather than speak instantly and then stammer trying to complete a premature sentence.
>>
You don't even need to read books. Just read a dictionary and start using words you like.
>>
>>29318137

On occasion, this is true, I will grant you that. But in general, this shouldn't happen often.

>>29318164

You will just look like some pseudo-intellectual.
>>
>>29318095
Speaking does not come naturally for me and I'm not trying to impress anyone, U rarely even use "big" words in irl conversations, I just find it difficult to process my thoughts into words
>>
>>29318164
This poster has a point. If you really like a word, you'll remember it involuntarily. That's how I learned 'coaeval' (which baffled me because I had no clue what it could refer to) and 'bevy' (which too just looked like nothing else). It is a misconception that interesting words have to be long.
>>
>>29318188

I only have that problem if I'm discussing something intellectually demanding.
>>
>>29317648
You must peruse tomes astutely and incorporate lavish words into your vulgate without absconding from sheer embarassment.

But really, no one speaks like that in casual conversations so there's not much point unless you want to be an academic. Another good way to develop vocab without sounding too autistic is to read or make poems. You'll probably begin to speak like a hipster though.
>>
>>29318334
Actually scientific language is not at all obscure, it just relies heavily on morphemic awareness, e.g. realizing that, off the top of my head, 'infrastructure' literally means 'the structure under' or 'impulse' means 'the beat inside'. It's not hard, it's just very concise and literal, both good things.
>>
>>29318334

I've read several classics that haven't really posed a problem to me, but poetry is just impenetrable to my mind. I can never grasp the "meaning" behind them. It seems obvious when someone explains it to me, but on my own, I have absolutely no idea what I'm reading. My brain just isn't designed to be able to interpret poetry.
>>
>>29318391
Don't worry about that at all. Poetry is literally harmful because it relies on ambiguation, while all cognition relies on disambiguation.
>>
>>29318137
This is a good strategy. Having a spoken heavy vocabulary takes practice by speaking, and when you get comfortable keeping up rapport with someone youll end up surprising yourself with how you can sound. It really has more to do with wit than knowing a huge vocab.

Slowing down to speak works twofold, you get more time to say something that comes off thoughtful and intelligent, and it weeds out the people who arent patient enough to listen as not worth your time.

Remember what Dr. Seuss said, those who dont mind matter, and those who do dont matter.
>>
>>29318384
>>29318420

Samefag. Are you trying to be funny?
>>
>>29318459
Same person, yes, but I don't get your point. There is no contradiction between my posts. If what you're hinting at is the fact that scientific language is still figurative in a sense, because, for instance, anatomic structures are still referred e.g. as leaflike or math contains terms such as 'root' or 'sinus', both deriving from nature, then obviously the point is that science tries to explicitate those senses, while poetry consciously embraces the ambiguity ('the mind is like a sun' -- and now guess what I had in mind). It's about the direction, how you feel about the problem.
>>
>>29317723
>Don't bother with manga and comics

But oni-chan how can I impress the bakas if I know nothing about my animays desu?
>>
>>29317648
It's not even that I have a shit vocabulary, it's just that I'm a fucking stutterer so I don't even try to go beyond very basic sentences when speaking.
>>
>>29317723
Depends on the manga and the comic.There are a lot of psychological manga or comics that use really difficult words.

But if we're talking about typical manga and comic books, then you're right.
>>
google words you don't know
>>
>>29319543
That's a waste of time. The proper solution would be to write a browser addon fetching the definition via the Wiktionary API on double-click (namely, selection) and displaying it in a tooltip (or, preferably, on hover using a mouse microgesture, but this might be less technically feasible). Should work for all languages & for inflections, too.
>>
>>29319575
(In fact, it should be generalizable to interfaces for all sorts of web resources, such as programming manuals, ..., obviously.)
>>
>>29317648
The internet is ruining my native language vocabulary. I will probably have forgotten all of it in a few years.
>>
>>29320270
Nonsense. I'm using my native language as little as any of you and I still find myself using words in conversation I never used before (or ever heard before -- neologisms) and being more fluent. Much of language production involves alinguistic thought structures; verbal fluency to the vocabulary of a particular language is roughly like the scene of a painting to the time of day as affects the light.
>>
>>29318675
no matter how much manga you read, no matter how much anime you watch you will always impress me
>>
post score OP http://vocabulary.ugent.be/wordtest
>>
>>29320392
Is this not working for anyone else? The test won't start.
>>
>>29317648
Read more books bro, find a subject your interested in and read about it.
>>
File: Shit.jpg (76 KB, 1792x460) Image search: [Google]
Shit.jpg
76 KB, 1792x460
>>29320392
Well then, I time to start learning big words.
>>
>>29320459
I'm >>29320533

Seems to work though I couldn't click with my mouse for some odd reason and had to use the touch screen
>>
>>29320392
Old non-native here.

>On the basis of your results, we estimate you know 68% of the English words.
>You said yes to 71% of the existing words.
>You said yes to 3% of the nonwords.

That was a fucking odd test. I was not sure about their definition of a 'non-existent' word; that line blurs rapidly. A word is 'real' as soon as it is commonly recognized as making sense; mere being present in a dictionary is not enough.
>>
>>29317702
write them down on a note in your phone and look them up later. its okay if you keep forgetting them. you can look them up again, and you will eventually remember. What also helps me is looking up the etymology of words.
>>
>>29320612
>What also helps me is looking up the etymology of words.

Learning etymology is mandatory. I don't even say that I know a word unless I know its origins; as in, I don't know what 'thread' means unless I know whether it meant 'string' or 'pulling' or 'width' or whatever in proto-Germanic.
>>
File: test1.png (22 KB, 542x303) Image search: [Google]
test1.png
22 KB, 542x303
>>29320392
I'm a non-native speaker.

I know a lot of fancy words but it's extremely difficult for me to use them in actual conversations or writing. I understand the words but they don't naturally come to my head if you know what I mean.
>>
>>29320842
Don't crop the language for people to think you scored 100% you ass.
>>
>>29320883
>the language
*the image
>>
>>29320883
It literally says 69% FOUR (4) times in the image.
>>
>>29320915
Not everyone has to expand your picture or notice the proportion of the text area to the bar width so to notice the actual score, you disingenuous shit.
>>
>>29320978
It's not my fault your attention span is less than two seconds you retarded sack of shit
>>
File: image.png (85 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
85 KB, 5000x5000
>>29320997
picturerelatedblox
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.