[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you know if you have OCD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: Attention Grabbing File Name.jpg (239 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Attention Grabbing File Name.jpg
239 KB, 800x800
I have a bunch of weird things wrong with me that make me suspect it, but I'm not sure if it's just special snowflake syndrome or something serious that I should be concerned about. I don't know how to get help and there are a lot of people here with mental illnesses (along with idiots who say mental illnesses don't exist) and this is the only website I go on, so that's why I'm posting here.
>>
The rule of thumb is, if you genuinely want for your behaviour to go away but can't, it's a mental illness.
>>
describe it op
also go to a doctor
>>
>>29317387
Describe it? What exactly do you want to know?
>>
>>29317453
your 'symptoms' or things you think might be relevant
>>
>>29317495
Well, I have very ritualistic behaviors that, if done wrong, my body gets really hot and uncomfortable and I zone out and give extreme focus to the problem, get silently frustrated, and/or I'll obsess over something until done perfectly.
The other guy's comment makes too much sense to me now, because I can't stop my behavior, whatever my mind obsesses about absolutely MUST be done or I'll get this feeling that I'm being burned alive from the inside out. I also have frequent intrusive about bad, disgusting or horrifying things that I really wish would go away. Sometimes, I can't even play video games because of this behavior and creating or customizing characters especially becomes a big pain in the ass. I'm also really lazy, but when I do something like cleaning or doing my hair, I could spend hours on it because no matter what I do, I just can't accept that I did it right.
I'm rambling now, but I'll give anecdotal examples if anyone cares. That's just the jist of it, I guess.
>>
>>29317580
It's 'gist' not 'jist' you retard. You can't even spell. You're useless. You can do nothing right. If you can't even master spelling, you can never hope to have a normal life.
>>
>>29317625
hey ease up, nobody has ever had to type that word before, i didn't know it either. at least he didn't say "should of"
>>
>>29317625
Yeah, that was the important part of the whole thing I wrote.
Thanks, man. Really helpful.
>>
>>29317646
>>29317647
You can't even comprehend a basic joke. Holy shit. What wastes of space. Your social functioning is trash. Don't bother posting again, your chance of producing meaningful OC is zero.
>>
>>29317580
yes that does sound like ocd
>>
>>29317625
nobody except insecure dumb people care about spelling. they think it's a way of tricking everyone into thinking they are smart
>>
>>29317663
it doesn't look like a joke, its overreacting - but i didn't see any humor put into it.
i like the way you say things though
>>
>>29317663
i think maybe jokes aren't for you.
>>
>>29317693
The joke was that OCD entails perfectionism/ensuring that you did thing x right (e.g. looking up a word in the dictionary every time as long as you're unsure), which I tried to appeal to in those posts.
>>
>>29317721
this is what happens when women try and tell jokes
>>
>>29317580
Give anecdotal examples
>>
>>29317721
>looking up a word in the dictionary every time as long as you're unsure

I did google the word "jist" and then "gist" if that makes you feel better. I've never had to type it out before. I wish 4chan had an edit feature.
>>
>>29317721
i see what you were going for, maybe it was a little too much of a stretch on its own.
also it sounded more like bullying, which comes off as more sexy than funny.
>>
>>29317741
>>29317768
Not a woman, just a man who used to have a dozen of dictionary browser shortcuts to OED (both Oxford and etymonline.com), tfd.com, thesauri, along with Urban Dictionary, Wiktionary etc., who would memorize Unicode system shortcuts for proper punctuation characters, and such.
>>
>>29317778
(As well as who just Googled >urban dictionary to ensure that it is spelt with a space, who introduces Google queries with > so to avoid using quotes which are confusible with Google's own quotes, who thinks about capitalization of the verb to Google, etc.)
>>
>>29317778
>>29317795
so... this is the power of autism

sdf
>>
>>29317778
>>29317795
this is interesting stuff to hear about. was this just a hobby?
also what do you think of 'capitalization' vs 'capitalisation', i always thought it was weird that there was a word with a z in it.
>>
>>29317753
Anecdotal examples. Ok

Can't take a shit unless the shower's on, shirt's still on, and my hair is tied back. Don't worry, I'm a guy. Of any of those things are out of place, I will refuse to take a shit.
The worst one is my hair. Whether short or long, I literally spend hours on it. As a kid, as a teen and even now. In school was the worst. I've had long hair since middle school, and I'd alternate between numerous hairstyles, fussing over it, and even combing it or untying and retying it in the middle of class, which got me teasing from friends and teachers telling me to stop, which didn't go so well, because it was something I just HAD to do.
Anothet thing is video games. Creating characters or any other type of customization, which I mentioned before is a giant pain in the ass. I don't even know where to begin with that. When I used to play guitar with friends when I was still a high school student, I couldn't just mess up a note like they did and keep going, I had to restart the "song" and obsess over it until it wasn't fun anymore.
I really just want to escape my own head.
>>
>>29317823
No autism.

By the way: when I don't remember the punctuation or capitalization of a sitename, I just give the address, e.g. stackoverflow.com. This is related to my occasionally capitalizing Google queries e.g. >Why do we sleep? and wondering re. final slash, google.com vs google.com/ -- one of those is minimally faster for the browser.

>>29317831
Just a hobby.

They say -ise is the British spelling, but apparently -ize is closer to the original Greek spelling or something, which's why I mix -ize with -our and -ough I also use. And also why I used e.g. thersauri not thesauruses. I try to follow etymology, cf. being aware that 'et cetera' is inflected, and if the number or person or whatever changes, you should adjust the full form.
>>
>urinate multiple times in my garbage until it feels good
>re-read the same sentence for 10 minutes feeling like i messed it up
>rearrange everything in the sink until it looks right
>drinks that i have to mix are a total of 30 rotations, but I only count to 10
>so each mix is (1,1,1 2,2,2 3,3,3) up to 10. If I fuck it up I usually double it
>just repeat general actions words or movements
>check locks more times than i can count

At a point you just live with it. Also, those inbred retard fucks who say "haha i have to make sure everything is in order because i have le ocd meme XDDDDD"
>>
>>29317886
>Also, those inbred retard fucks who say "haha i have to make sure everything is in order because i have le ocd meme XDDDDD"

This is exactly why I'm reluctant to admit that I might have OCD.
>>
>>29317842
Oh, shit. I forgot one more thing that I do.

I can't play certain video games until I have taken a shower first.
>>
>>29317355
90% sure it's anxiety, trust me
>>
>>29317842
Go to a doctor, to me it sounds like OCD.
I met a guy (who use to have OCD), last year at a mental hospital. He was obsessed with his hair, apparently he would stay home for hours and hours just combing/styling his hair, and not go out. He also had an obsessive-compulsive problem with his skin too.
He had gotten a lot better over a pretty short time, idk probably like a year or so, with psychiatric help or something. When I met him he was pretty much normal apart from being angsty.

His hair was pretty wacky, the sides were shaved and the middle part was long and tied into a bun. He went in there for attempting suicide though. But I didn't see any signs of OCD from him, until he told me he had it before.

I really recommend going to a doctor or something.
>>
>>29318031
What am I supposed to do though? Do I just go to some random hospital in my city and say "Hey, I think I have OCD"?
>>
>>29318066
I'm not sure but
maybe you can do that
or book an appointment with a doctor/psychologist/etc.
I think with medicare (Australian) you can see a psychologist X (forgot how many) amount of times for free.

I think you can admit yourself into a mental hospital voluntarily, and they might observe you or something.
>>
>>29318118
I'm American, so I'm not sure if the free psycologist thing applies here. Thanks, though.
>>
>>29318159
nw, also talk to your GP first.
>>
also good luck anon
>>
>>29317355
why dont you explain your rituals
>>
>>29318905
I already did. Well, I gave some examples, anyway.
See >>29317842
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.