[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be me, 21, multiple personality disorder >auditory hallucinations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14
>Be me, 21, multiple personality disorder
>auditory hallucinations
>Never told family, just went to the doctor myself to get it checked out
>Family doesn't know the daily struggle
>Nightmares almost daily, boiling skin, broken bones ect ect
>really affecting mental health
>can't do anything about it

Should I just tell them?
>>
why bother, its not like they can do anything. Best they are gonna do is pity you while never truly understanding what you feel like,which will just piss you off.
>>
>>29315664

I need to talk to somebody about this. They care about me, and I'm going to kill myself at this rate.

I just want the voices to stop. I want them to stop so bad.
>>
>>29315790
Getting it off your chest will help, and it's best that they know so they can help you deal with it, in whatever small capacity they would be able to. What treatment are you getting?
>>
>>29315820
antipsychotic's and some sleeping meds.

The antipsychotic's are suppose to help with the voices, but all they really do is make me notice them less. The sleeping meds are just there to make me sleep through the nightmares.

Therapy as well, but it's a public one for free so I barely go.
>>
>>29315462
Chances are they'd actually understand you have a mental disorder and thus won't be hurt if you do something they find inappropriate.
I would talk to them, maybe even take them to your shrink so he can tell them about the deatils and answer their questions.
>>
File: bee urself.png (39 KB, 914x1091) Image search: [Google]
bee urself.png
39 KB, 914x1091
>>29315462
>multiple personality disorder
Have you tried just being yourself?
>>
>>29316080
Clever. Good post.
>>
You should talk to them, anon. Speaking from personal experience, withholding those kind of things from the people you're around the most is poisonous to yourself. From personal experience, a big part of managing health stuff is feeling like you have support from people you're close to. Even though people often don't understand, you have to give them a chance to.
>>
>>29315462
>Should I just tell them?

What are you, a woman!?
Man up you little bitch. Keep your problems to yourself, nobody cares.
>>
>>29316055

I just, hate admiting I'm crazy. I hate talking about how fucked up I am. I hate it all. I hate how I can barely hold a job, I hate how I can't feel anything at all, I hate that I'm just some fucking retard who thinks she hear voices when they aren't there.

The only way for me to focus on things is to hurt myself and focus on pain. I just tell my parents that "oh I cut myself at the resturant again!", or, "Oh darn, I slammed my hand in the door again!"

They will think I'm crazy, talking about my issues is hard for me.
>>
>>29315462
>Be me, 21, multiple personality disorder
>auditory hallucinations

Psychfag here. You don't have dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality) -- you have psychosis (most likely psychophrenia or mania). "Split personality disorder" doesn't cause you to hear voices that aren't there.
>>
>>29316196
>***schizophrenia

Is what I mean to type not psychophrenia. Kek. Sorry, I'm very drunk. But for real, see a doctor.
>>
>>29316196
I'm just repeating what they told me.
>>
>>29316155
What you did is ask for opinions on whether to tell your family about your problems or not.
Now you are telling me you don't want to because it is uncomfortable for you.
If you actually won't tell your family why did you ask whether to tell or not?

My opinion does not change: You should talk to them about it and maybe take them along to your psychiatrist so he can explain to them what's up with you and answer their questions.
This is my opinion considering the facts you stated.
>>
>>29316196
Good job doing an analysis on one's mental health based on one statement.
Go home anon, you're drunk.
>>
>>29316212
Well, "they" are in your mind. Schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are two completely different fucking things.

Link related: it's most likely you unless you are experiencing a severe form of mania or are schizoaffective.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/schizophrenia/basics/symptoms/con-20021077
>>
>>29316155
I just told my mom I'm seeing a therapist and going on meds. Not what my diagnosis is.

Bipolar II, anxiety, PTSD (apparently, no idea why I have that one) and chronic insomnia. I only really talk about the insomnia when she brings it up.
>>
>>29316240
He is hearing voices that aren't there, you tard. That is only experienced during psychosis and only a few syndromes cause it, faggot.
>>
>>29315462

I think I may have this. People always tell me about things I did, yet I don't remember doing them. It happens pretty often and just about anyone that spends time with mentions shit I don't remember doing.

I don't know if this is related but I often hear voices while listening to music or driving. I keep hearing someone call out my name over and over again.

I wonder what the other me is like...
>>
>>29316218

I want to talk to somebody about it, It's just... very difficult for me to do it. Coming to the knowledge you are crazy is something I am taking very hard. Admitting to my family that I'm crazy is very very hard.

I hope you understand, what I mean.

What you said seems alright, but on paper and in practice are two different things.
>>
>>29316155
On the bright side, I'm definitely not the only guy who is turned on by a girl with problems like yours.

It's always a plus to feel like you can identify with somebody and be there through the worst of it, nurturing somebody really does something for me.
>>
>>29316276
I guess I was lucky that I was diagnosed when I was 15 years old. It was still hard to tell my parents how I felt and what was wrong. In time they got used to me being unstable. I am sure deep down they are dissapointed but they seem to understand that I cannot "Just be my self" and get better.
>>
>>29316274
Now and then I'll hear somebody say my name. Different tones every time, voices I don't know. Used to see shadows running out of the corner of my eye a lot, usually in the distance.

I think it happens to everybody from time to time.
>>
>>29316265
>she already pointed out she's gotten a professional analysis
>dissociative identity disorder is known to have a high comorbidity with other mental disorders, schizophrenia being one of the common variety
Conclusion 1: You probably don't know what you are talking about.
Conclusion 2: It is very likely you are wrong.
>>
>>29316326
It happens almost every time with me. I can live with out music but I do need to drive from time to time. I used to call them ghosts when I was younger.
>>
>>29316299
I think that's what they call fatherly instinct I guess.

>>29316323
my parents don't really know. As I said, I usually just make up stuff like slashing my hand open at work or burning my hands and slamming my fingers in doors. Saying it was an accident.

telling them I do it so I can focus on pain and not voices makes even myself feel weirded out.
>>
>>29316329
>Conclusion 1: You probably don't know what you are talking about.

You are a fucking retard.

>Conclusion 2: It is very likely you are wrong.

See above. By far the most common cause of psychosis is schizophrenia, extreme mania, and/or schizoaffective disorder. Please kill yourself.

>she already pointed out she's gotten a professional analysis

That doesn't mean a fucking thing. They follow a checklist in order to earn their paycheck and whoever slapped dissociative identity disorder onto her without anything else being comorbid should be fired immediately since they graduated at the bottom of their class. Auditory hallucinations aren't a symptom of dissociative identity disorder. Ever.
>>
>>29315462
You don't have "multiple personality disorder".

It's fake. It's impossible to have.
>>
File: 1465889018254.png (506 KB, 533x788) Image search: [Google]
1465889018254.png
506 KB, 533x788
>father was correction officer for 27 year
>many abused prisoners eager for revenge
>hear chanting niggers late one night
>father blasts music back to drown them out
>contest continues for several hours
>chimps suddenly charge the house
>hear them hooting and hollering outside
>one looms at my window with a gun
>RUN SPRINT and bail at top speed
>father wakes from the noise of my run
>shaking frantically explain the situation
>he goes outside to look for them
>mfw realizing that it was not real
>>
>>29316375
Maybe instead of talking to them you can write it all down and have them read it.
>>
>>29316381
>even thinking DID is a real disorder.
It's not a disorder dude. It's a fucking myth a unicorn. It never existed. People don't black out and then wake up with new personalities. Doesn't happen. If you're really a grad student you better wise the fuck up kid. Don't be stupid
>>
>>29316276
>I hope you understand, what I mean.
Definately.
>on paper and in practice are two different things.
Also very true.
I didn't mean to put pressure onto you.

First I think you should somewhat come to terms with your disorder(s). They are most probably not your own fault. Don't blame yourself because you are ill.
As soon as you are ready talk about it to those close to you. Their support is crucial.
If they don't understand don't blame them too early. There might be different reasons they can't or don't want to understand. Sadly there is a chance one of them is at least particially responsible.
If they treat you badly because of it consider reducing contact. Don't let them blame you. You need to heal, not feel worse about yourself.

All the best to you!
>>
>>29316329
I like how you accuse him of armchair analysis and then do it yourself in less competent fashion.
>>
>>29316422
It's debatable whether it's a real disorder or not, so stop being a faggot. Psychology in general is highly subjective, but there has never been a case of "DID" presenting with auditory hallucinations. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know this.

She may not have schizophrenia, be experiencing mania, psychotic depression, etc, but it is far more likely that she is than DID. She needs to get reevaluated by someone else.
>>
>>29316420
I have no idea how I would write it, but I really enjoy this idea if it would work.

>>29316438
I already know what happened to make me like this. I lived with my dad for about 4 years. Ritual beatings and sexual abuse was common almost every night.
>>
>>29316381
OK. I see you are not open to argumentation. You have your opinion and are hostile about other opinions.
You do not argue against argumentation which means you are not interested in reason. You argue against conclusions because you are not able to question your opinion.

At this point it is pointless to continue the argument.
>>
>>29316486
You're a dumb faggot. Please kill yourself.

I'm not open to "argumentation" because you don't have a fucking argument besides "hue hue you're wrong. I don't have any argument besides no u but trust me, plox."
>>
>>29316486
Your first post responding to that guy was an ad hom. You seem like kind of an insufferable faggot desu
>>
>>29316467
Start by listing your diagnosis. After that go into detail how it affects your life. Use some actual examples to help explain it better. try and write with and objective mind set. Mention that you may have a hard time talking about it and ask your parents to be patient.

I honestly think this is the best option you have. Only other decent option may be to have your parents meet with you doctors and have them explain it.

Good luck, The fact that you are thinking about it is a good thing. I believe you will be able to say what needs to be said.
>>
OP here, I think you guys are helping even though it may not seem like it, and half of you are saying I don't have what I have.

I was crying pretty hard when I started this thread and I'm feeling better than I was.
>>
>>29316458
Nice, huh?
I didn't do an analysis though, especially not on OP's psyche. I just did an heuristic approach on the other anon's arguments.

>>29316467
>I already know what happened to make me like this. I lived with my dad for about 4 years. Ritual beatings and sexual abuse was common almost every night.
K. Is this known in your family?
>>
>>29316537
>K. Is this known in your family?

No, it's not. My dad is a doctor and I decided a long time ago, that if he is saving lives, then I don't want to hinder that. Even though he is a monster.
>>
>>29316523
>Your first post responding to that guy was an ad hom.
How so? From my pov I mostly adressed the flawed argumentation "hearing voices rules out dissociative identity disorder".
Please explain and I'll apologize.
>>
>>29316533

>>29316463 here.

See a therapist and describe what is happening to you in detail without any lying or omissions. Do this over the course of many sessions and they will have enough data to recommend you to a licensed psychiatrist. Do not, under any circumstances, allow us faggots on 4chan to diagnose you because shitposting online can never equate to hours of face to face time with a clinician.

By the way, you do not have fucking "DID." The retard that diagnosed you should gas himself for being such a moron.
>>
>femanon makes a mental illness thread
>male posters scramble to address her problems and help her
>they now start arguing among themselves

Look at yourselves.
>>
>>29316598
I did mention it was a public one. I don't go a lot, because there a loads of other people on the waiting list.

I don't have enough money to afford anything other than a public one.
>>
>>29316561
Well shit.
I don't think I can provide a sufficient answer on whether you should involve your family or not.

Maybe you should figure this out with the help of your psychiatrist. I can only tell you two things that I think are really important: Firstly your father is the bad guy here. He is to blame and there's no excuses. Secondly if your family backs him up or does not believe you don't let them make you feel bad or like you where lying. For many people stuff like this is very hard to process and accept. If they try to make you take the blame consider cutting contact.
I hope it goes better than that tho.
All the best to you!
>>
>>29316395
Now this is autismo
>>
>>29316642
I told you, he's a doctor. He's helped more people than I ever will. He took that chance away from me, but I'm not taking it from him.

As soon as I mention I was raped for 4 years, he is going to jail. He will lose his medical license and he wont be out of prison for a very long time.

I'm not doing that to him. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm stupid or retarded for thinking that a person who helps people should be put behind bars. Even if he is a monster.
>>
>>29316612
We're a bucket of crabs.

Which was also femanon's nickname in highschool.
>>
>>29316697
Three thoughts on that:
One: It does not matter how much good he's done or ever will. He abused you and doing other good won't make that right.
Two: If you can truly forgive him this is really a good thing. If you don't need to destroy him because he destroyed you you definately are the better person, no matter how many people he heals. But please don't belittle yourself because he "does so much good" and you don't. From what he did wrong he is not a good person. He could come clean and apologize. He could make amends. He doesn't.
Three: If you want him behind bars there's probably other capable doctors waiting to fill his spot.
>>
>>29316697
He'll do it again. He's likely already done it again. He knows he got away with it so he'll do it again, to someone else.
>>
>>29316846
I want him to die. I'd kill him myself if I could, but as you said "bigger person". He lives in british columbia. I live in ontario. I don't have the money for it and I don't really know where he is other than the province.

I'm 21 and hear voices that aren't there. I'm already done with life and I'm pretty close to blowing my brains out. Nobody wants a crazy girl. Most guys think girls are crazy in general. Not to mention several daddy issues.
>>
>>29316891
I wouldn't want to force you to deal with it. If it's best for you leave it be.
Does the rest of your family still have contact to your father? Would they side with him?
Also >>29316880 has a point. But it isn't your responsibility to be the first to press charges.
>>
>>29316891
>>29316937
Oh and I forgot: You've just been diagnosed. Maybe with therapy you'll get better. Take some time before you end it all.
>>
>>29316937
My father is estranged from his mother and brother and basically everyone in his life. He used to bring home hookers and what not before the rape, but I was "a better fuck" than them.

He wasn't the type of guy to keep friends, or anyone close. The only good thing about him is his wealth and job.
>>
>>29316375
>I think that's what they call fatherly instinct I guess.
Nope it's called being a thirsty faggot on 4chan.
>>
>>29316978
So if you reveal yourself to your family you can probably count on their support since they know he's an asshole?
>>
Also, it's entirely possibly to order legit meds online from India and stuff. You could do careful research and self medicate.

Probably not recommended though.

Oh, you already saw a doctor. Well whatever.

Sure, tell your family, but tell them a minimalist/gentle version first to see how they react. e.g. you just see some things in the corner of your vision, strange noises or something. Something you can backtrack from if necessary.
>>
>>29317011
Probably, but I'm not telling them the cause of my issues. I'll just tell them he yelled at me a lot and that caused it, which wont land him in prison.
>>
>>29316381
It's fucking retarded to say someone has schizophrenia when schizophrenia isn't just defined by psychosis mate, fuck off.

By the way, unless you're a qualified psychologist, as in you have a masters degree and are allowed to practice clinically, or a psychiatrist who's also qualified, you have no fucking place diagnosing anyone. And if you were, there's no way you'd just go "Oh yeah you probably have this thing" with no idea of the rest of their symptoms or their lifestyle habits.
>>
>>29317065
Fuck, I just realised I was responding seriously to a fembot thread, I assumed it was a guy.

Don't reply to my comment, I don't want to contribute to cancer. Thanks.
>>
Oh fuck OP, protecting a rapist because some belief that he is helping people? Maybe your visions will go away when you stop doing that shit and get closure.

There's no shortage of doctors, by removing him some young new doc who isn't a sociopath will get a chance at taking his place. And maybe that new guy won't molest his vulnerable patients.

50% rape claims might be feminist bullshit, and then an actual legit case doesn't want to prosecute. Fuck this life.
>>
>>29317116
It's my choice. Sorry.
>>
>>29317034
>I'm not telling them the cause of my issues.
This is your decision and I respect it. However
>I'll just tell them he yelled at me a lot and that caused it, which wont land him in prison.
I don't know US law. Would he be sent to jail without you pressing charges or testifying?
Also why lie? Why not tell them you don't want to talk about your traumatic experience just yet?
>>
>>29317098
We're all human beings on a cesspool of a cantonese basket weaving message board in a world we didn't choose to enter, anon.

Anyway OP, you can choose when to reveal the information about your father, or you can wait the rest of your life, that's your choice. But do seek help.
>>
Thanks to everyone here, who gave me some support. It feels nice knowing that people somewhere on the planet who never even met me think I matter.

I think I'll write a letter and address it to my family, stating what I deal with on a daily basis, and keep it until the time feels right.

I'm going to be using rena from higurashi a lot, so if you see her, chances are it's me. Bye bye!
>>
>>29317229
>I think I'll write a letter and address it to my family, stating what I deal with on a daily basis, and keep it until the time feels right.
Good idea! All the best to you!
>>
>>29317173
It's avatarfagging and attention seeking, I only typed fembot because it's a shorter way of explaining what I meant.

Seriously, look at the thread. She asked for advice, got it, proceeded to ignore it to go on about how crazy she is, and then when someone repeated that the advice wouldn't change, started going for pity and repeating how crazy it is

Then it threw in a story about ritual abuse and repeated raping, out of the blue, to garner more pity.

There was never any intent of getting actual advice out of this, it's just a thread looking for (you)'s, and because it's a fembot, everyone fucking bought into it. It's people acting this way that's absolutely killing /r9k/.

Saged.
>>
>>29317098
Read my comment chain, you fucking retard. I am implied that it was far more likely that she had schizophenia or some other disorder that showed symptoms of psychosis such as schizoaffective disorder, severe mania, psychotic depression, etc rather that dissociative identity disorder (which has never been known to present with auditory hallucinations). Please kill yourself and live stream it so the mods can create a sticky and give us all a good laugh.
>>
>>29317276
You talk to your patients like that mate? I assume you're working clinically if you're going to diagnose this person, it would be dumb to try to do something you're not qualified to do.

Also, once again, schizophrenia is not purely psychosis, and there are many other disorders that can cause this. It's quite common for people to mix up intrusive thoughts with hallucinations, even, and in a case of abuse, that would be more likely. Either way, you've never seen this patient present, and have no ability to claim that they're psychotic, when the only symptom you've got is a perceptual disturbance.

You're getting awfully mad over this though, maybe you should try coming back when you're less emotional about the topic.
>>
>>29316978
>I was "a better fuck" than them
What, he said that to his daughter? He bangs his daughter and later calls her "a better fuck" than the random hookers he used to get?
>>
>>29317170
>nods respectfully in OP's direction
>>
>>29315462
Don't worry about it, i'm sure you're good people.
>>
>>29317325
He was an awful man. I hate him.
>>
>>29317276
Oh, and just so you know, you're fucking retarded, DID absolutely can present with hallucinatory like symptoms, here's a link supporting it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22651674

And here's a quote, which compared DID patients to schizophrenics
>DID patients obtained significantly (a) higher dissociation scores; (b) higher passive-influence scores (first-rank symptoms); and (c) higher scores on scales that measure child voices, angry voices, persecutory voices, voices arguing, and voices commenting.

You shouldn't talk about shit you clearly don't understand.
>>
>>29317322
Chill, bro. I tried talking to him and he's not open to reason. He just started insulting me and samefagging.
>>
>>29317322
I never said I was going to diagnose a fucking shitposter on 4chan because it would be retarded. I stated this here, you mouthbreather: >>29316598

All that I implied is that OP doesn't have "multiple personality disorder" AKA DID because that is retarded. It is far more likely that she has schizophrenia, severe mania, psychotic mania, schizoaffective disorder, even fucking alzheimer's, etc rather than DID because it never presents with hallucinations of any type. She needs to see an actual professional for a long period of time so they can gauge how maladaptive her (most likely made up disorder in order to shitpost) is.

I'm just now skimming a few of her posts and it's obvious that she's trolling at this point.
>>
>>29317402
Yeah, I never get why samefagging is such a popular technique here honestly, just seems pointless.

>>29317414
Well, I've already proven you incorrect on the whole "DID never presents with hallucinations of any kind" thing here >>29317393

But yeah, it's clear this anon is just trolling for attention instead of actually suffering from this disorder, it's incredibly fucking rare compared even to other psych disorders, and the edgy pics make it even more obvious, as well as the intent to avatarfag.

Glad we agree on that much, sorry for the aggressive approach, I assumed you were attempting to diagnose her with a psychotic disorder, which would admittedly be a rash move.
>>
Psych nurse here. Mental illness does not work this way
>>
>>29317393
Dissociative identity disorder is most likely a factitious disorder that was invented by this one cunt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Ardell_Mason

Link related is the only "known" case. That study is completely retarded.
>>
>>29315462
Not even a thing anymore.
DID is different personality states.
By the definition in the DSM, close to 1 in 3 Americans meet the criteria for DID.

Do you think You have 'Holywood' style multiple personality disorder? (As in, other people living in your head)
>>
>>29317457
That link related isn't the only known case though, that's a dumb thing to claim. If there was study done on it, they've clearly got other patients diagnosed with it.

By the way, she was a patient, not a doctor, how do you suppose a patient made up an entire disorder? If she was the only case, it wouldn't be in the DSM, or ICD.

Also, great refutation of the study, just going "it's retarded". I'm sure you know more than the people that got a peer reviewed study out mate.
>>
>>29317494
>By the way, she was a patient, not a doctor, how do you suppose a patient made up an entire disorder? If she was the only case, it wouldn't be in the DSM, or ICD

You're stupid and naive. She is seriously the basis for why it was included as a "disorder" to begin with. The entire criteria for DID is based on all of the bullshit symptoms she was feigning. Please kill yourself or watch the fucking movie and then kill yourself.
>>
>>29317460
>other people living in your head
Isn't that what all the tulpa nonsense is about?
>>
>>29317460
>DID is different personality states.
To clarify, in one state, you act one way. In another you act another way.
So,
Happy: Smile, be cheerful, be social
Sad: frown, be depressed, be reclusive.

That's two states. Which satisfies the criterion A.
Criterion B is forgetting small things regularly. (what did You eat for breakfast last Tuesday? If you can't answer you satisfy Criterion B)
Criterion C is having any kind of distress (robots all satisfy this)
D is being weird (acting in a way not broadly accepted. All robots satisfy this)
E is not doing drugs or having a medical condition that makes you forget things.

That's the checklist for DID
>>
>>29317515
Rightio anon, you're right and the the board of medical professionals that continue to list DID as a psychiatric disorder are wrong.

>>29317521
That's close, but not entirely true anon. These are the DSM criteria

Two or more distinct identities or personality states are present, each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self.
Amnesia must occur, defined as gaps in the recall of everyday events, important personal information, and/or traumatic events.
The person must be distressed by the disorder or have trouble functioning in one or more major life areas because of the disorder.
The disturbance is not part of normal cultural or religious practices.
The symptoms can not be due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (such as blackouts or chaotic behavior during alcohol intoxication) or a general medical condition (such as complex partial seizures).

This is just copied from an online source, sorry if the formatting goes to shit.
>>
>>29317517
The idea behind tulpas is that the human subconscious is what actually shapes reality. (which is how all Meme Magic works)

It follows that if reality bends to human will, if you believe in something strong enough it will become real.

It's bullshit, obviously. The idea was popularized in modern society by the TV show Supernatural. The main characters have to kill one in one episode.
>>
File: DID.jpg (96 KB, 692x427) Image search: [Google]
DID.jpg
96 KB, 692x427
>>29317547
>Two or more distinct identities or personality states are present, each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self. Amnesia must occur, defined as gaps in the recall of everyday events, important personal information, and/or traumatic events. The person must be distressed by the disorder or have trouble functioning in one or more major life areas because of the disorder. The disturbance is not part of normal cultural or religious practices. The symptoms can not be due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (such as blackouts or chaotic behavior during alcohol intoxication) or a general medical condition (such as complex partial seizures).
That's from DSM-4

DSM V is the latest one.
>>
>>29317547
Wikipedia doesn't equate to the "board of professionals." Take any abnormal psychology course in any accredited university and they will tell you DID is a meme, but they don't have enough evidence that a fake disorder is actually fake so they just keep listing it for the lulz. The only case study is Sybil--then and now. Seriously.
>>
>>29317547
Multiple personality disorder is fake as fuck.

Most people who claim to have it today actually have a factitious disorder. Basically, they'll lie about it for attention. (Although they won't always know they're lying. My understanding is they don't really think about it. Like how when someone asks about how your day has been and you reflixely say it's fine)
>>
File: DID-V.png (108 KB, 1100x652) Image search: [Google]
DID-V.png
108 KB, 1100x652
>>29317608
You think the board the writes the DSM is a wikipedia article?

Yeah, I'm sure that they list a thing they don't actually know is real "for the lulz", that's how it works, and they totally couldn't get sued for that.

>>29317601
Sorry, here's a cap from the DSM-V.

Note, it's not smart to simplify diagnosis of a disorder to just those criteria, there's pages beforehand explaining it in better detail.
>>
>>29317674
Factitious disorder is done consciously, at least they know they're lying. It seems almost impossible to not realise you're lying about having a mental illness, that would imply that you're actually believing you have those symptoms.

Factitious disorder does involve some compulsive lying though, sure.

Also, it's silly to claim that because people lying about a disorder don't have it, that no-one does.
>>
>>29317678
>Sorry, here's a cap from the DSM-V.
Did you really just take a cap of the same exact image that you quoted?

>Yeah, I'm sure that they list a thing they don't actually know is real "for the lulz", that's how it works, and they totally couldn't get sued for that.

They would not get sued. There is literally no laws presiding over what is and is not classifiable as mental illness. If they wanted to make being gay classified as a mental illness again, they totally could.

Remember, the whole field of Psychology is completely Arbitrary. What the ASA says is considered the standard, but no one regulates what they say.

At least 1/3 of Americans can qualify for having DID. I think that's just being a normal human, not being mentally ill.
>>29317601
>>
>>29316080
>Have you tried just being yourself?
*yourselves
>>
>>29317818
No? I found a .pdf file of the DSM V and screencapped it. I assume that anon did the same, but I honestly didn't bother to read his picture until then.

>There is literally no laws presiding over what is and is not classifiable as mental illness

You don't think there's any laws defining medical practice? I'm pretty sure diagnosing and treating people for a disorder they don't think actually exists would be a pretty fucking big deal anon, class action lawsuit sized big deal.

>What the ASA says is considered the standard, but no one regulates what they say.

I assume you mean the APA, and that's not entirely true, there are other boards that work on this stuff, and even then, the APA is based off of work done by medical researchers and doctors. If your point is that medicine is arbitrary because it's defined by medical professionals, then I'm not really sure what to say about that, it's kind of obvious and irrelevant.

>At least 1/3 of Americans can qualify for having DID. I think that's just being a normal human, not being mentally ill.

At least 1/3 of Americans have periods of time where they act in completely out of character ways, with distinct personalities, views of the world and behavioural patterns, which they can't remember? Well shit, I guess the world is screwed then.
>>
>>29317703
>Also, it's silly to claim that because people lying about a disorder don't have it, that no-one does
No record of Multiple personality disorder (As portrayed in movies/TV) exists before the 1810's. (I believe, I don't feel like googling it to check)

I'll concede that new variations of illnesses are created. (The Truman Show Delusion) But that's just a specific type of delusion.

Multiple Personality Disorder was a completely new thing. There's no precedent for it, and in fact, they did mostly remove it from the DSM. (They changed the definition to mean something almost wholly different)
>>
>>29317890
Actually, I'm not going to argue about this on fucking 4chan. You clearly aren't a medical professional, you're at most a psychology student that's decided that makes him an expert, and you absolutely don't know better than the dozens of people who work on a single disorder alone.

I've quoted medical literature to you, and given links to studies supporting that it exists, and you've just gone "nuh-uh". That combined with the fact that this stupid debate is bumping a shitty attention whoring thread makes me feel it's not worth it. So I'm out, try actually providing evidence to the contrary next time instead of just expecting people to believe you.
>>
>>29317890
>You don't think there's any laws defining medical practice?

But Psychology isn't medicine. It's not a medical practice
>I'm pretty sure diagnosing and treating people for a disorder they don't think actually exists is a big deal.
It's their job to say what is and is not a disorder. If they say it is a disorder, it is.

>I assume you mean the APA, and that's not entirely true, there are other boards that work on this stuff
The DSM is just the APA though. (And Yeah, I meant the APA, sorry it's 4 AM)
>If your point is that medicine is arbitrary because it's defined by medical professionals, then I'm not really sure what to say about that, it's kind of obvious and irrelevant.
Not all medicine, just psychology. With medicine, there's tests to be done for every illness. Every single one, they all tangibly exist. We can physically see them. (Even if we have to check the DNA, We can check)
Mental Illnesses, however, are not tangible. They 'exist' in the abstract. We see patterns in what humans do. Some are declared normal, others are declared mental illnesses.

>At least 1/3 of Americans have periods of time where they act in completely out of character ways, with distinct personalities, views of the world and behavioural patterns, which they can't remember? Well shit, I guess the world is screwed then.
Not personalities, personality states.
And not 'out of character' so much as a different side of a character. Like seeing a tough guy cry. (He's not usually crying, it's not his usual pattern behavior to visit graveyards) Then he doesn't remember it after, because it's not actually atypical. It's just having a full emotional spectrum
>>
File: DID1in3.jpg (53 KB, 896x209) Image search: [Google]
DID1in3.jpg
53 KB, 896x209
>>29317915
>Actually, I'm not going to argue about this on fucking 4chan
Bit late for that
>You clearly aren't a medical professional
Psychology isn't fucking medicine
>you're at most a psychology student that's decided that makes him an expert, and you absolutely don't know better than the dozens of people who work on a single disorder alone.
I have literally no qualifications. But I've read the DSM 4 cover to cover once. (And I skimmed the DSM 5 when it came out)
>I've quoted medical literature to you
The DSM 5, After I quoted it (And I don't consider the DSM to count as 'Medical' Psychologists are not MD's and MD's are not psychologists)
>and given links to studies supporting that it exists
I literally just looked through this whole quote-chain. You have not.
>and you've just gone "nuh-uh".
I've responded in detail to just about every sentence you've typed
>That combined with the fact that this stupid debate is bumping a shitty attention whoring thread makes me feel it's not worth it.
You have a point
>So I'm out, try actually providing evidence to the contrary next time instead of just expecting people to believe you.
I've totally provided evidence.

DID, as defined as it is right now, in The fifth edition of the DSM, is not Multiple Personality Disorder. I'm not saying DID isn't real, but Multiple Personality Disorder is fake as shit.

>Pic related is sauce on 1 in 3 statistic btw
>>
>>29318146
http://psychcentral
(Dotcom)
/lib/dispelling-myths-about-dissociative-identity-disorder/

All this shit dispels the myths that you're attempting to promote.
>>29317915
>>29317915
>>
>>29316155
This is not your fault. MPS is a hell of a thing and they won't understand but they can try. It will help explain things. You have a legitimate problem here and you shouldn't beat yourself up over shortcomings because of it.

I'm proud of you for making it this far. Science is amazing and you never know what is waiting around the corner. Anyone telling you to 'man up' or just keep it to yourself is a shithuman and should be disregarded outright as normie scum. I love you anon. Your family loves you. Go tell them.
>>
>>29316463
Not even sure if you're still here. I exited this thread because it's filled with idiots.

>debatable whether it's a real disorder or not
No it's not debatable. Look at neurological research dealing with the disease. Seriously google it... yeah you see that? It's a fucking MESS. All these different studies cite EVERY disorder under the sun and then conclude it's DID.

It's a fucking myth dude. DO NOT BE STUPID. It's every disorder mixed into one... sure it's interesting and fun and cool to make movies about but it's not real. Brain doesn't work like that.

>Psychology in general is highly subjective
No psychology is not highly subjective and it should never be. Psychologists from all around should be very conservative with how they diagnose people and how they treat people. But that's not how it works. Instead, people go to the doctor for bullshit reasons and get over medicated and then it fucks them up even worse. Meanwhile mentally ill people are being misdiagnosed left and right and the entire industry is fucked.

>but there has never been a case of "DID" presenting with auditory hallucinations
There has never been a case of DID period

I hope any potential psychology students are reading this. Psychology is a bad fucked up field. People take a psych 101 class or even a couple classes and they really think they know some shit. These idiot liberal fucks then become doctors and shrinks able to prescribe drugs to any faggot that walks through their door.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.