[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /adblock/? If a site works with it on, no matter how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 1457914095980.png (2 MB, 2915x2084) Image search: [Google]
1457914095980.png
2 MB, 2915x2084
Who here /adblock/? If a site works with it on, no matter how much their notices beg me to whitelist them I won't. The web is so shitty now I think I wouldn't feel a thing if another site went down. I use AdNauseum. Surely everyone uses adblock right?
>>
ive been using adblocking programs since the late 90s
>>
ublock origin with chrome
>>
I turn it off on 4chan like a good goy.
>>
uBlock origin, HTTPS everywhere, Ghostery come at me bro.
>>
>>29309959

I love it when sites beg, fuck them. No site is worth whitelisting
>>
>>29309959
>AdNauseum
What does adnauseum do differently?
>>
>>29310064
>using closed source plugin
Nice tracker.
>>
>>29309959
I whitelisted this one cool website that streams Premier Leagues games illegally in high quality.
It's one independent guy running the website and he is a decent guy, so I don't mind giving him some ad revenue.

But literally every other website I use AdBlock.
The internet is an absolute cancer without it on.
I don't understand why most normies don't use it too, as clearly Youtube "stars" still make enough money to make a living out of it.
>>
>>29310165
Don't forget how much money they get from shitty sponsors.
>>
>>29310021
>I turn it off on 4chan like a good goy.
why the fuck do you do that? you think moot cares about you? you think he appreciates you doing this?

block ads then block the "please don't block ads" ads on 4chan
>>
>>29310144
I dont want to use less popular privacy addons, it makes your browser unique and easy to fingerprint.
>>
Anybody here afraid Youtube will become pay-to-use?
>>
>>29310217
Just don't use ghostery. Your browser is probably unique anyways.
>>
>>29310214
Eh, they don't bother me. They are really small ads at the top and bottoms of the page and it doesn't take very long to load or play any dumb videos. That is the only reason I even got adblock, I just couldn't stand how they fucked my browser up. I also hated pop-ups. I don't mind small ads but if your website is littered with ads I will block you. That is pretty much every site these days.
>>
>>29310211
yeah true, forgot about that.
but I'd say ad revenue still gives Youtubers more regular and reliable money over a sustained period of time.

I'm baffled how most normies either
a: don't know about Adblock
or
b: deliberately whitelist Youtube thinking they're saints

like why?
these youtubers don't give a fuck about you
>>
>>29310230
lmao no
A company as big as Youtube would never make a terrible decision as that.
they make a shit ton amount of money already, why would they make it pay-to-use which would dramatically slash their profits?
>>
>>29310256
Maybe i will change to Privacy Badger but shit its not working perfect i heard.
>>
>>29310333
Yeah don't use it. It's slow and unpolished.
>>
>>29310333
You can probably replicate ghostery functionality with ublock and the right lists.
>>
>>29310230
No. Despite having tons of cool shit hidden somewhere, it will never reach the front page anyway so I will never find out about them.

The front page as it is now is pretty much useless.
>>
>>29309959
Absolutely!

If I site demands I turn off adblock for it to function, I cease to use the site.
>>
>>29310123
It's open warfare on advertisers/sites by clicking all their shit and so devaluing clicks and tracking data.

It devalues advertising metrics completely and makes everyone mad.
>>
>>29310320
>they make a shit ton amount of money already
youtube either makes almost no money or loses money

that being said it does add a lot of value to google overall
>>
>>29310471
I'll definitely check it out
>>
File: 1396496031096.jpg (178 KB, 900x1272) Image search: [Google]
1396496031096.jpg
178 KB, 900x1272
>>29310471

That's beautiful.

Advertising is stupid and gay bullshit.
>>
>>29310214

Number one, moot doesn't run the place anymore.

Number two, the ads are unobtrusive and I really don't mind feeding a fraction of a cent or whatever it is into 4chan regularly via ad revenue when I use the site every goddamn day and the bandwidth has to get paid for somehow.

If there were popups and shit I would probably block here too but there aren't so I don't.
>>
>>29310471
Why waste network traffic to attack ad revenue?
More profitable it is less likely they'll paywall etc, same reason not to shill adblock too hard.
>>
>>29309959
Of course, only cucks won't use adlobck
>>
>>29310606
Only cucks would use tripcodes
>>
File: PleaseWhitelistUs.jpg (598 KB, 960x2610) Image search: [Google]
PleaseWhitelistUs.jpg
598 KB, 960x2610
>>29309959
Here's what I do if they try to force me to whitelist them
>>
I use ublock and noscript. I will turn off noscript enough for the sites to function properly. Ublock stays on unless a) i would like to support the site and b) the style of ads used are not obnoxious. 4chan i whitelist because the ads are static banners and the jlist ads are cute.

With noscript, the usual routine is to allow the primary domain and then from there allow necessary secondary sites as needed. News sites seem to be the worst; check noscript for those and it wants to load stuff from 20 different domains. No you can not. Also, noscript can be handy to remove parts of a site i dont want to see, like Facebook's obnoxious HEY YOU SHOULD SIGN IN thing.
>>
>>29310649
Switch to uBlock Orgin tbqh.
>>
>>29310843
What features does it have compared to ABP?
>>
>>29310904
Default is basically the same. uBlock has more options for power users and is more lightweight.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

I also prefer the author and he would never add something like opt-out unobtrusive ads.
>>
>>29310013
Just like me. It's a shame websites are getting so annoying lately with the turn-off-your-adblock rubbish.
>>
>>29311168
Turn on Anti-Adblock Killer script. Also i wont recommend Chrome for privacy, Firefox is much better.
>>
Don't forget to get something to destroy super cookies.
I use Better Privacy.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/
>>
File: 1465424634345.jpg (968 KB, 2128x886) Image search: [Google]
1465424634345.jpg
968 KB, 2128x886
>use Opera because some malware fucked up Chrome and even though it's removed it's still fucked up
>Latest update has a built in adblock
>Doesn't even trigger adblock filters

I love this browser
>>
File: Untitled.png (29 KB, 523x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
29 KB, 523x480
>>29310904
Here's what uBlock Origina has over ABP, famiglia.

Per-site fine-grained control over what is permitted from which sources. A bit of an initial pain in the ass to comb through new sites, but a god-send for reducing how much shit is being thrown at you while browsing.

My only complaint is that you either allow all resources of a type from a source, or none of them. Though adding an even FINER-grained control might be very cumbersome, so who knows.
>>
Ublock origin, noscript, and self destructing cookies. I think I have done very well for myself.
>>
I use:

>Ublock
>HTTPSeverywhere
>Privacy Badger

For my privacy.

I am debating on self destructing cookies, or is that redundant?
>>
>>29311768
I use it. I don't think any of your other plugins delete cookies.
>>
Is adblock better or ublock?

I've been using adblock for years, but have heard good things about ublock and I'm wondering if it's worth switching over.
Running Firefox btw
>>
>>29311607
Isn't that uMatrix?
Currently using both uMatrix and uBlock.
I heard uBlock had the same functionality as uMatrix, I could just never be bothered to take the time to figure it out. I just use the default block list and sometimes I block elements with it right now.
>>
File: 1434133364500.gif (2 MB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1434133364500.gif
2 MB, 375x375
>>29313509
Oh yea, it is uMatrix. Could never figure out how to make uBlock do what I wanted it to.
>>
I've never clicked on an ad in my life so I don't understand how websites actually make money from them.
>>
>>29313561
hahah glad I wasn't the only one.
The creator should just consider combining the two perhaps?
>>
>>29313575
Normies.

Normiesgonnanormbloc
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.