[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he prognosed himself with a mental illness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 17
File: 1444167055424.png (743 KB, 1384x1496) Image search: [Google]
1444167055424.png
743 KB, 1384x1496
>>
File: Almost Smug.jpg (93 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Almost Smug.jpg
93 KB, 400x400
>tfw when got an actual autism diagnosis

feelsgood man.png
>>
Im totally a sociopath i fit all the characteristics :^)
>>
>>29308598
That's generally silly, but the depressive disorders here are obvious. That's to be expected in our situation too.
>>
File: 1449986661676.jpg (79 KB, 599x536) Image search: [Google]
1449986661676.jpg
79 KB, 599x536
>>29308598

>implying its hard to look at a list of symptoms and determine if you have them
>>
>>29308598
>prognosed
google new words you learn before using them
>>
>>29308598
The other day, one of the girls at the bar me and my friends were grabbing a brew at rejected me.
I'm so depressed.
>>
>he is 18 years old and makes daily depression threads
>>
>>29308698
>nuh uh my depression is more worser than yours kid
kys
>>
>>29308674
By that logic I would have 20 different illnesses.
There is a reason you are not a doc.
And no its not muh social anxiety
>>
File: wink wink.png (226 KB, 636x731) Image search: [Google]
wink wink.png
226 KB, 636x731
>>29308753
>im 16 years young :> and im like very depressed :'''''((
>>
>>29308776
my post still applies. >>29308753
>>
I am a mental mess guys please comment on my cute waifu pic >>29303505
>>
File: did u know.png (460 KB, 507x1000) Image search: [Google]
did u know.png
460 KB, 507x1000
>>29308812
yeah but your post was shit lmao
>>
I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia by like 6 doctors now.
>>
>depression
Despite was cowards say, it literally is as easy as choosing to be happy.
>>
>>29308838
good one.

orig
>>
When exactly did mental illnesses replace simple character traits? Why make a field of science for something that is basically common sense?

And why the fuck are we prescribing drugs instead of forcing people to actually change the way they live? Why do we let people just give up and not deal with their problems honestly?
>>
>>29308859
how do you know if you saw 6 doctors and didn't just hallucinate?
>>
>>29308928
You've got a point there, anon. Maybe none of this is real.
>>
File: Suwako Dat Boi.jpg (22 KB, 480x476) Image search: [Google]
Suwako Dat Boi.jpg
22 KB, 480x476
>>29308874
depression is a step on the apth to true happeiness, anyone will tell you that...

it is regonizing that the happiness you have been feeling is baseless and untrue, and that to be truly happy u need to see how shitty life really is, and then from there you can find true happiness....
>>
>>29308960
>Maybe none of this is real
thats just the paranoia kicking in.
>>
>>29308598
>mfw prognosed myself with schizophrenia
>mfw not schizophrenia but bipolar with psychotic depression or schizoaffective, uncertain diagnosis by doc
I was almost right. Psychology/psychiatry is my hobby field of study , and was before the psychotic onset. I guess i just recognized the symptoms.

Strangely enough, even thiugh i know they were just that - symptoms i wasnt able to control the fear or the distress they created, and never could fully dismiss them even though i was able to talk about them as if i knew they werent real. But after i was more or less okay i spent half my psychiatrist visits talking abt how i feel and half discussing mental illness, causes and ohilosophy behind psychology.
That doc is now my only friend, and we meet outside of visits. Lifes strange for the mentally ill i guess
>>
>tfw can never find out if I actually have depression because even mentioning it to my parents would destroy our relationship
>>
File: 1465735194779.png (164 KB, 369x386) Image search: [Google]
1465735194779.png
164 KB, 369x386
How come everyone I know says they have ADHD or OCD? Are they so common or are they just a meme diagnosis?
>>
File: 1427403819171.png (96 KB, 996x996) Image search: [Google]
1427403819171.png
96 KB, 996x996
>>29309319
Both of those illness are kind of used colloquially by people who don't actually have them. ADHD means like "overactive" or "unfocused", while OCD means that you're a neat freak or something. These stereotypes have very little to do with the actual diagnosis. It's just like if you call someone retarded; it doesn't mean they're actually retarded.

I don't know enough about ADHD to comment on it, but OCD can be very debilitating. You get these obsessive intrusive thoughts and the only way to make them stop is by doing some weird task. For example, a common one is getting thoughts that tell you the world is gonna end unless you do something like, maybe, flick the lightswitch three times. People with OCD rationally know that there's almost no chance that this is true, but the thoughts keep coming and coming, filling them with doubt, and they just have to flick the lightswitch. Other obsessive thoughts can be really horrible, like constant fantasies about homosexuality when you're straight as can be, or thoughts of murdering your whole family, or thoughts of having sex with your relatives, etc. Basically the worst things you never want to think about just keep popping in your head and they don't stop until you do some weird compulsive task. It can resemble schizophrenia in a lot of ways. Many people with schizophrenia have OCD traits.

By this, you see that the popular usage of "OCD" by normies is very far off the mark. People who say they're "so OCD" because "they just die if the volume on their TV to be a multiple of five", or something retarded like that, aren't actually anything close to OCD.

Source: My aunt has OCD and it's pretty much ruined her life.
>>
File: 1466037945549.jpg (22 KB, 435x260) Image search: [Google]
1466037945549.jpg
22 KB, 435x260
fail. so fail.
>>
File: 01.jpg (302 KB, 1200x1691) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
302 KB, 1200x1691
I was diagnosed with PTSD though
>>
File: 1439333622292.jpg (127 KB, 483x463) Image search: [Google]
1439333622292.jpg
127 KB, 483x463
>>29309607
Thanks for the thorough explanation anon. It has cleared a lot of things for me.
>>
File: 1450638997652.gif (342 KB, 666x386) Image search: [Google]
1450638997652.gif
342 KB, 666x386
>>29310310
You're welcome, anon. I'm hypomanic, so I'm very chatty. I think it's important for everyone to know about basic psychiatry, both for others' sake and your own sake. You should know the signs for when you should see a shrink or even when you should go to the emergency room. I don't know why the basics aren't taught in high school or even middle school, because these things are important. Just about everyone is affected by mental illness, whether it's in someone you know or just you yourself.

I can answer any questions anyone has about mental illness, if you guys have got any. I've got my mental illness bingo card all filled out. I've been depressed; I've been manic; I've been hypomanic; I've had mixed states; I've had delusions of many sorts; I've had hallucinations, from auditory, to visual, to tactile; I've taken SSRIs, anti-psychotics, benzos, and stimulants; and I've been to the hospital two times now.

There are many stereotypes, misconceptions, as well as confusion when it comes to mental illness. I'd love to clear things up or offer advice. Or nobody could respond; that would be fine too.
>>
>>29310755
Actually you seem very nice and I like talking to folks so hello! I actually have been writing a story based on my mental and emotional state. So if you'd like I could share that with you.
>>
>>29310992
I'd love to read it, anon! My email is [email protected] if you wanna send it there, or you can just post it in this thread too. I love robot creations, because it feels like almost everyone here gets where I'm coming from.
>>
>>29308760
Maybe you're just retarded, or maybe you do have 20 different illnesses
>>
>>29311130
Can do, it's a bit intensive and long (about 4-5 pages in 10 font) so it's entirely up to you. I feel some anons might hate or love it.
>>
File: 1465324188803.png (44 KB, 658x662) Image search: [Google]
1465324188803.png
44 KB, 658x662
This is sort of a mental illness thread, so I'll ask here...

>have schizoaffective disorder and borderline personality disorder
>recently started living the NEET life after dropping out of college due to time spent in the loony bin
>driving home from the gym and having a good day
>on my street, I notice a dying bunny laying on its side
>it had obviously been hit by a car. It's stomach was open with its intestines hanging out
>decide to put it out of its misery
>pull over, walk up to it, and stop on its head until it looks like a smashed pumpkin
>get an intense, almost orgasmic rush of euphoria and satisfaction
>shudder and put my hands on my knees
>look up to see the neighbor kids stopped about 15 yards away on their bikes
>get back in my car, and drive past my house to get out of there

Could anyone relate to how I felt here? Why was that so good feeling?
>>
>>29311454
I'd really like to read it. Maybe you should copy and paste it into a pastebin and post it here. The worst thing that could happen is someone tells you it's crap. If they don't give any reason for it, then just fuck them. They don't know what they're saying. And if they do give a reason for it, then that's advice you can use to improve your craft.

>>29311469
I've gotten a similar rush of death-based euphoria. Mine was different though, because it only came when I was close to dying, and not some other creature. It was probably just the novelty of the situation that gave you that feeling. Have you ever noticed a coincidence that made you step back for a second and say, "Holy shit"? When I have moments like those, they give me a sort of euphoric bodily feeling all down my back. When something surprises us, our "fight or flight" system kicks into full gear. It fills our brain with dopamine and noradrenaline, which are the same neurotransmitters emitted by cocaine and speed. It could definitely give you a sort of pleasurable feeling.
>>
>Have OCD as diagnosed by numerous mental health professionals
>Qualify for disabilitybux for it
>Every time I mention it online or how it affects me people sperg out claiming that <my issues> aren't 'real' OCD
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (187 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
187 KB, 500x500
>>29308598
as if the questions they would ask you aren't transparent as hell. wether you see a therapist or not, you diagnose yourself either way
>>
>>29308674
>tfw ultra cutie Stamper will never fill you with his hot seed
>>
>>29308928
>thinking schizophrenia is just hallucinations
>>
File: horrifying.png (285 KB, 444x440) Image search: [Google]
horrifying.png
285 KB, 444x440
>>29311741
>>29311454
>>29310992
>>29310755
here you go, robots.
http://pastebin.com/BAFS7cNC
>>
>he posts anime reaction images
>he values his analysis less than a doctor who knows very little about his life
>he implies you can't diagnose avoidant personality disorder/anxiety for yourself when you haven't left the house besides neccessities for 5 years and hyperventalite before basic interactions
>he implies you can't self diagnose depression when you think about suicide daily
Come to think about it, most mental illnesses are extremely easy to diagnose if you are at the extreme level.
>>
>>29311770

David I'm tired of telling you this

Shutting and not flushing does not mean you have OCD
Leaving food around your room until it rots does not mean you have OCD
Yelling and being Loud does not mean you have OCD
Playing video games and watching YouTube with the volume on when you were invited to a DnD game does not mean you have OCD

It just means you are a jackass.
>>
>>29308919

Literally none of that is true and you'd know that if you actually talked to a doctor or have gone to therapy.
>>
>>29308919
These are some very big misconceptions with mental illness. I'll try to share my views and opinions, but I don't claim to know everything about everything.

It's true that a big part of mental well-being is keeping healthy routines, like sleeping well, eating well, self-care, etc. And you're wrong, the psychiatric establishment definitely recognizes the importance of good habits. Doctors and therapists often recommend changes in your daily routine as a first-line treatment. For example, my doctor refused to give me an SSRI (which is a very low-risk, completely safe med) for my social anxiety, because she believed I just needed to get out of the house more. My therapist only recommended drugs to me one time, to treat my panic attacks. Funnily enough though, my doctor refused to give me the anti-anxiety drugs, because she thought they were too risky. She believed I could control the attacks with just some stupid breathing exercises that my therapist taught me.

This isn't an isolated case. There are many doctors like my doctor, especially the younger ones. The DEA has been teaming up with some medical boards to find doctors that are giving out too many meds (especially anti-anxiety drugs). The offending doctors may receive warnings or sometimes even get their license revoked.

Mental illness can't be attributed to simple character traits. If you've ever been to a psych ward, you'd see all kinds of people who are just simply not well. I've seen people talking to themselves in long strings of gibberish, about surveillance chips placed inside their ear by the Illuminati. I've met a guy who believed that Bill Gates gave him the winning Powerball numbers. He wanted to fly me to a music festival in the private jet and we were going to drop acid and take molly together. I haven't heard from him since, so I hope he's doing alright. These people have very obvious problems going on in their heads.
>>
>>29312829
I'm giving it a read, anon. I'll tell you my feelings about it once I'm done.
>>
>>29312899
Yeah I too was thinking his symptoms fell better under the diagnosis of Jackass Personality Disorder (JPD). Good observation, anon.
>>
>>29312899
I'm not the person you're talking about, Anon.
>>
File: 1464298913440.jpg (62 KB, 958x660) Image search: [Google]
1464298913440.jpg
62 KB, 958x660
>>29312829
>>29313655
I got about halfway through, so I'll tell you my opinion of it so far.

You should look up a thing called "outsider art" or "naive art". It's basically art that's been made by the outer fringes of society. It's made by people who've been rejected by the mainstream establishment, like the homeless, drug addicts, and the mentally ill. Your story reminds me a lot of that kind of style. You develop your story and describe your characters in a very unorthodox manner.

I'm not sure what kind of advice I should give you. I guess I'll tell you what a regular critic would say.

First of all, there's lots of grammar and spelling mistakes. Maybe try to give it a few extra reads and try to catch them all. It helps some people to read it out loud, because you notice mistakes more easily if they're spoken.

The second thing would be your constant exposition, which is where you tell us how a character or event is supposed to be. There are many examples of you doing this, but here's just one:
>For a lot of Karl's life he have been left, sold out, betrayed, manipulated, used, pawned with and hurt immensely by others. But Karl doesn't mind.
The problem with exposition is that the reader is a little hesitant to just accept the things you're telling him. Like, for this example, maybe the reader wants to see for himself that Karl's been hurt a lot in his life. You should write a scene from Karl's childhood that proves to the reader that things were tough for him. There's a saying for this: "Show, don't tell".
>>
>>29314720
I like what you're doing though, anon. It's really incredible that you've put this all together. Most people would give up way before they ever came this far. What mental illness(es) do you have, if you don't mind sharing? The way you write reminds me a lot of my own thought patterns. I don't really know how to describe it. It's just kind of like all over the place and sometimes I start drifting off into acting as though I'm God or some other very important being.

Good job so far, anon. Just gotta push yourself to keep writing over and over. That's the only way you'll get better. Maybe spend some time to read a lot of books too. That's important too.

I've tried to write a novel a few times, but I always give up early on. I completely run out of things to say. Maybe I'll give it another try this week.
>>
>>29314720
>>29314817
First off is thank you so much for even bothering to read and put up with my shit. Having outside criticism on a piece, until today I only shared with two close friends is a great thing.
>>29314720
Your criticism is well received, and I never thought about the explosions of information either. So I'll make a note of it and work on it some more. And yeah my grammar is a bit horrid. Nobody has really read this for a critic viewpoint, so knowing to scroll through my grammar is a good wakeup call.
Perhaps I'll start a thread sometime about the continuation of this story once I get well in depth with it. And I'll definitely check out outsider art. I never heard of it before.
>>29314817
It started off as a project for a theology class, and whenever I'd be awake at 0200-0600 is when I'd feel like writing, so al lot of this is written off of late night thoughts. I have some anxiety and ptsd from a lot of shit in my life. And for the past 3 years I've had about an average 3 to 5 hours of sleep a night. So my memory and attention span is crippled. I've never really gotten myself tested or analyzed much before. So all I know that I do have is Anxiety, Severe depression, and PTSD along with Insomnia.

And definitely. One thing i see a lot of people do is they go too hard too fast and burn out easily. Keep your life interesting and think as much as you can, when you feel confident or bored try to chip away at it or write whatever you feel like. There will always be time to edit, and there's no race with writing, right?
Again, thank you for focusing your attention on me, a complete stranger
>>
>>29308674
>implying if you do that you don't have every single disease on the planet.
>>
>>29315710
>implying they're not all scales and you only determine that you have them if you have an exceptional amount of them
>>
>>29315696
>for the past 3 years I've had about an average 3 to 5 hours of sleep a night.
I envy you, I waste > 1/3 of my days sleeping now, I used to be insomniac years ago, I thought people were supposed to sleep less as they aged.
>>
>>29308598

Diagnosis not prognosis you mongoloid
>>
>>29315837
As it may be, I do not envy myself. Technically and medically speaking you're right on track with how you should sleep, 8 hours a night.
I weave in and out of an hour of sleep sleep for 48 hours and me sleeping for 16 hours in one day.
>>
>>29315696
Sleeping only 3 to 5 hrs a night has to be having a lot of bad effects on your mind. Are you seeing a doctor? That's kind of a worrying range to be in. Your brain needs sleep. Everything goes haywire when it doesn't have a chance to rest. It's no wonder your memory and attention span are failing you. A lack of sleep can be a direct cause for all sorts of mental health problems as well. There's many medications out there to help you sleep. Therapy can also help insomnia, because it quiets noisy thoughts that might be keeping you up.

I also have anxiety as well. I just got out of an awful depression. I'm really glad I'm hypomanic now. Sometimes I have problems with PTSD that come up when I'm stressed out. I had a lot of shit happen in my life too, so I feel you. Each of those illnesses can get really tough.

I'll try to take my novel one step at a time, like you said. My internet friend and I used to have poetry battles, where we'd give each other a topic and a few minutes to write about it. Her poems were always really creative and funny, while mine were pretty dumb. I miss her a lot.
>>
>>29316327
I feel your missing stuff. And I am.getting better rest. I've been getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night for the past couple weeks, so it's a start.
I used to have a friend like that too. But she was irl. I love her so much and we were clothes best of friends for years. We even bad plans to marry once I'm done with school and the corps. But I had a flashback one night and ended up breaking an elevator. I never got close to even making physical contact with her. But that reminded her too much of her father, so she left.
There will be others anon. Life gives us doors to open, but we must extend ourselves to open them ourselves.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.